Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,243 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon (1160 Views)

Agatu:Reno Omokri Replies Adesina:U Remind Me Of Malu Who Laugh At Odi Genocide / Oshiomhole Has Forgotten So Soon By Reno Omokri / Even "Usually Boning "Muazu Had To Laugh At This Jay-jay Okocha's Joke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by black247: 1:00am On Nov 11, 2014
I told this Ghanaian before the collapse, I would estimate that I spoke to him about two years ago - I said, brother your exchange rate is too high against the UK pound and the US dollar, along with the fact that your cost of living is extremely high for someone with even my degree.

Well of course he was sensitive, and I found myself - even as a Pan African, having one of the most pettiest debates over who has the best country..I mean downright petty.

So why am I rambling?

I have to give South Africa a compliment for once in my life - South Africans are smart, I will tell you why:

1. They have a very low currency in comparison to the UK pound and the US dollar. What does this mean? It means that if their countrymen went to London to go to school, they could return to their home country with a savings and an education. They could work in a UK engineering firm, save for five years, and go back home and sustain. Ghana couldnt - because their dollar matches the UK and US almost, thats how their policy makers set it, despite a low demand for their countrys currency. Check out their exchange rate. Now check out South Africas currency in comparison. (us nigerians have this part right, more later)

2. South Africa has a reasonably priced real estate market. So, they can attract diasporians for investment, their own or our own. This only strengthens their middle class. Ghanas housing market is desperately overpriced.

3. They seek out reasonable trade deals with countries and have fair rates. Now, Im no politician - and I do realize that they too have their headliners regarding leadership, but they wisely chose BRICS over a regional ally. What am I getting at? Even with ECOWAS we still have a financially tense relationship with our regional partners, making it hell to import or export, keeping our prices high. But to me, currency can be fixed and created - thats another long story, but since we follow a eurocentric model of currency, our partnerships seem contentious at best.

Short story: Nigerias dollar is good. Our point shouldnt be to match the dollar like Ghana, our point should be to be attractive to investors, even our own investors. So if our dollar was equal 5000 to one, that shouldnt be a sense of embarrassment, it allows us to build foreign capital.

Here is the issue, our real estate market doesnt match our currency. This means that one or two things will happen, and Im getting ready to be BLUNT (sorry): Europeans who are wealthy can buy up properties, because they can afford to - forcing us to have a socioeconomic status and similar conditions to a RUSSIA. Or, our poor becomes so abundant we end up in civil war.

We are a mono-producer. Our main exporting item is oil. No one needs us for green energy because America and the UK have been working on this for years. South America has oil refineries. What can we offer competitively? Our prices would be too high.

We need to bring our brightest home, make it affordable - create a plan so that we can replace our oil commodity with something that can sustain us.

ARTICLE THAT IM DISCUSSING

"We are running a stupid democracy in Nigeria, a system of government where only those in office are seen to be enjoying the good of the land, while the people they claim to be serving are starving.

The cost of building many government houses in Nigeria is far higher than what it takes to build many universities in the country with some state houses gulping as high as nine times more than the cost of building a university.

It was also discovered that in many states where Billions of Naira were expended on building bogus and expansive state houses for the first families, universities owned by such state governments were in terrible conditions.

In addition to this, many programmes run by these state universities are yet to be accredited by the National Universities Commission, the regulatory agency for universities in Nigeria, due to lack of fund. || But these greedy governors always have Billions of Naira to building new houses for their comfort..."

- See more at: http://trustng..com/2014/11/what-democracy-government-houses-more.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+9jatv+(9JATV)#sthash.f895Hj6h.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by dotna(m): 5:09am On Nov 11, 2014
True talk.

On point

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by black247: 9:48am On Nov 11, 2014
dotna:
True talk.

On point

Thank you man!
Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 11, 2014
Highly intelligent economic analyses

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by ducii: 11:00am On Nov 11, 2014
black247:
I told this Ghanaian before the collapse, I would estimate that I spoke to him about two years ago - I said, brother your exchange rate is too high against the UK pound and the US dollar, along with the fact that your cost of living is extremely high for someone with even my degree.

Well of course he was sensitive, and I found myself - even as a Pan African, having one of the most pettiest debates over who has the best country..I mean downright petty.

So why am I rambling?

I have to give South Africa a compliment for once in my life - South Africans are smart, I will tell you why:

1. They have a very low currency in comparison to the UK pound and the US dollar. What does this mean? It means that if their countrymen went to London to go to school, they could return to their home country with a savings and an education. They could work in a UK engineering firm, save for five years, and go back home and sustain. Ghana couldnt - because their dollar matches the UK and US almost, thats how their policy makers set it, despite a low demand for their countrys currency. Check out their exchange rate. Now check out South Africas currency in comparison. (us nigerians have this part right, more later)

2. South Africa has a reasonably priced real estate market. So, they can attract diasporians for investment, their own or our own. This only strengthens their middle class. Ghanas housing market is desperately overpriced.

3. They seek out reasonable trade deals with countries and have fair rates. Now, Im no politician - and I do realize that they too have their headliners regarding leadership, but they wisely chose BRICS over a regional ally. What am I getting at? Even with ECOWAS we still have a financially tense relationship with our regional partners, making it hell to import or export, keeping our prices high. But to me, currency can be fixed and created - thats another long story, but since we follow a eurocentric model of currency, our partnerships seem contentious at best.

Short story: Nigerias dollar is good. Our point shouldnt be to match the dollar like Ghana, our point should be to be attractive to investors, even our own investors. So if our dollar was equal 5000 to one, that shouldnt be a sense of embarrassment, it allows us to build foreign capital.

Here is the issue, our real estate market doesnt match our currency. This means that one or two things will happen, and Im getting ready to be BLUNT (sorry): Europeans who are wealthy can buy up properties, because they can afford to - forcing us to have a socioeconomic status and similar conditions to a RUSSIA. Or, our poor becomes so abundant we end up in civil war.

We are a mono-producer. Our main exporting item is oil. No one needs us for green energy because America and the UK have been working on this for years. South America has oil refineries. What can we offer competitively? Our prices would be too high.

We need to bring our brightest home, make it affordable - create a plan so that we can replace our oil commodity with something that can sustain us.

ARTICLE THAT IM DISCUSSING

"We are running a stupid democracy in Nigeria, a system of government where only those in office are seen to be enjoying the good of the land, while the people they claim to be serving are starving.

The cost of building many government houses in Nigeria is far higher than what it takes to build many universities in the country with some state houses gulping as high as nine times more than the cost of building a university.

It was also discovered that in many states where Billions of Naira were expended on building bogus and expansive state houses for the first families, universities owned by such state governments were in terrible conditions.

In addition to this, many programmes run by these state universities are yet to be accredited by the National Universities Commission, the regulatory agency for universities in Nigeria, due to lack of fund. || But these greedy governors always have Billions of Naira to building new houses for their comfort..."

- See more at: http://trustng..com/2014/11/what-democracy-government-houses-more.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+9jatv+(9JATV)#sthash.f895Hj6h.dpuf

Nice Economic Analysis

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by black247: 1:29pm On Nov 11, 2014
ducii:

Nice Economic Analysis

Thank you, my man!

I am trying! Hopefully, after I read more, I will be able to articulate myself better. It always seems like Ive missed a word or something - after I click submit. So, thank you again!
Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by black247: 1:30pm On Nov 11, 2014
Keneking:
Highly intelligent economic analyses

Thank you!! Im trying!! I have ordered tons of books, I hope that I can share more! Thank you again!
Re: Nigerias Economic Status - We Probably Shouldnt Laugh At Ghana So Soon by Ozonna(m): 1:53pm On Nov 11, 2014
Nice wink.

I'm not an economist but I see naira devaluation immediately after 2015 elections. That's if oil doesn't rise again.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Over 150 Reps Fail To Win The Primaries Of Their Political Party / Alleged APC Chairman Seen Witchcrafting In A Forest / Are There Muslims Who Will Vote For GEJ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.