Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,626 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York (64150 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

called her parents or guardian

To come and do what?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Are you sure her teacher or the teacher who invigilated the exam knew it?

And even if he knew it, why did the mother think that she was capable of coping with exam stress?

The mother should blame herself first for sending her SICK child to cope with exam stress. She has NO right to sue the school.

Exactly
The mother should be arrested for contributing to her death
She allowed the child leave the front door knowing her emotional state
Why didn't she quit her job to be around her 24/7
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

To come and do what?

To unyell the yellings she may receive in the course of the day

1 Like

saxywale:

The school most likely knew the girl had mental health issues. The report said the teacher yelled at her. The teacher was lucky, some mental health patient (most are usually aggressive) would have knocked the teacher out immediately or stabbed her.
Like i said, there are too many unanswered question.

If the girl was normal, i would say she deserved to be yelled or screamed at. But the girl is someone a ''Nigerian'' would call Mad aka w-e-r-e. Just because she is being treated and managed cos of an efficient health care system doesn't still rule out the fact that she has mental health issues.

Your first mistake is to say that THE SCHOOL knew.

If you work at a school, you do NOT KNOW ALL students. You only know the ones you teach and you also invigilate exams in classes where you normally do not teach and therefore do not know the students. Some schools have more than 1000 students.

The report did not say anything. The mother claims the teacher yelled at her.

Like I said, a person who is suicidal should not be taking any exams.

To say that the teacher was lucky that the girl did not attack him, is lipsrsealed
If a person is considered dangerous, she should not be around other kids.
carefreewannabe:

And even if he knew it, why did the mother think that she was capable of coping with exam stress?

The mother should blame herself first for sending her SICK child to cope with exam stress. She has NO right to sue the school.
Why would the school allow a sick child into it's premises knowing fully well that she was not alright upstairs. I am sure most of us would not want our child/children sitting next to a crazy patient in an exam hall. Note: Mental health issue may appear normal in appearance for a while or months. But they are still unstable.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You really do not know much about how schools are run.

Do you think the principal is sitting in his / her office all day long?

On some days principals are not even at school but in the town hall negotiating with mayors on budget issues or visiting other schools and developing new concepts.

Teachers have to attend to hundreds of students. They are all important. One kid hurt himself during the break, another one is crying, another wants to talk because someone bullied her. The breaks are short. Teachers have to rush to give lessons, then they have to attend to a meeting.

We are talking about a school here, not about a mental hospital.

Like I said, if she suffered from severe depression and it was known that she was suicidal, she should not be taking exams.

The point is, her mother should be THE LAST to put the blame on others.

I've been a teacher in one of my past jobs. the point is schools have counselors... someone that cheated and has a suicidal history should be handled with supervision but the girl lied and followed her thoughts..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
2buff:

Exactly!

If it wasn't from the teacher scolding her for EXAM MALPRACTICE, it would have been by someone walking past her without greeting or saying hello. Eventually she had no emotional fortification to take on the real world.

Hope she's at a better place.

Even if a boy she fancies turns her down without regards for her emotions and she kills herself, our moronic liberals would say he should be sued for $10m.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Abi o!

Maybe she herself should be arrested on some whimsical excuse that maybe her child was depressed and desperate to cheat in an exam because of too much parental pressure put on her to be a high achiever in school.

Yep. Lets all bring moronic grounds for lawsuits.

Moronic women. She should pray it is not someone like me that is the judge of the case. Looking for emotional pity to make a fortune? I would bankrupt the lunatic!
@ topic: My condolences to the girl's family.

Do you know that a lawsuit against McDonalds many years ago forced the restaurant to label their coffee "hot"? Welcome to America, the land of lawsuits grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she walked to the bridge alone.... if they had punished her by keeping her at the principal's office under supervision until her parents arrived it could have been preventable.... No one knows what she was going through at home.
No one knows what anyone is going through in their lives hun grin Yet we walk our and smile everyday and deal with our issues without breaking the law.

People need to be taught to suck it up.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Why would the school allow a sick child into it's premises knowing fully well that she was not alright upstairs. I am sure most of us would not want our child/children sitting next to a crazy patient in an exam hall. Note: Mental health issue may appear normal in appearance or for a while or months. But they are still unstable.

Let us ask the mother that question
This is a day school
Why did her mother allow her to leave home that day?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Why would the school allow a sick child into it's premises knowing fully well that she was not alright upstairs. I am sure most of us would not want our child/children sitting next to a crazy patient in an exam hall.

First of all, we do NOT know if the school REALLY knew. This is what the mother says and I don't trust her.

Secondly, depressive people are USUALLY not dangerous to others. A school cannot forbid a child to come to school on grounds of depression.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

The girl had attempted suicide before and didn't succeed
I wonder who yelled that time

They should have sued the school na. grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

Do you know that a lawsuit against McDonalds many years ago forced the restaurant to label their coffee "hot"? Welcome to America, the land of lawsuits grin
Lol grin

Too many laws in America there is no freedom anymore. You guys need to start voting people who will free you from the bondage of laws. Seriously.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by ikeyman00(m): 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
@@@

priscaoge(f): 7:12am

When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures.

typical Zoological rep of Nigeria mentality!

the stupidity is just too much; their fellow christians are getting blown off in the north and they still go on like they dnt care, we lost the sense of civility completely

Madness is the order of the day

anyway we are heading to Biafra!

foolish people
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
opyscol:

Wot of d suicide bombers in the north eastern part of naija?? Were they raised in the US! Or ur one of those "THAT WUD RATHER KILL THEMSELVES THAN COMMIT SUICIDE" ;

Hehehe...do you think those dumbos are Nigerians?!..those folks are from Niger republic and chad. The enduring spirit of a Nigerian was depicted in Fela Kuti's song Shuffering and Shmilling..
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

I've been a teacher in one of my past jobs. the point is schools have counselors... someone that cheated and has a suicidal history should be handled with supervision but the girl lied and followed her thoughts..

If you was a teacher, you should know that the principal is not in his / her office all day long and that a principal is a very busy person with a very busy schedule.

@bold

How did the girl lie?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:57pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she walked to the bridge alone.... if they had punished her by keeping her at the principal's office under supervision until her parents arrived it could have been preventable.... No one knows what she was going through at home.

So they should have detained her and refused to let her go to the toilet as she requested because they did not know what she was going through at home?

And what would funky modern-wannabees like you have said if that was in the papers?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Exactly
The mother should be arrested for contributing to her death
She allowed the child leave the front door knowing her emotional state
Why didn't she quit her job to be around her 24/7

I don't think her mother should be arrested but she should be THE LAST to have the audacity to sue the school.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
2buff:

She was caught cheating...
The school had mercy and let her finish....
She submitted her paper and left like everyone else...
Instead of her to go pop champagne and celebrate say dem no fall her hand last last...
She went to jump off a bridge....
This is the school's fault HOW?

The school should be SUED! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
Youngzedd:

For what naa, when we never tested the real life, we already dey hell in 9ja, going to hell again is useless.

I haven't test the oil money, still haven't gotten to my turn, tell me the reason 9ja breed will commit suicide.

For Yankee, there are already in heaven, going to hell is not a bad option, so that they will test the two side.

True!
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 8:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Its not about her suing the school... it was about the health of her child... Its not exam stress.. the girl was suicidal... no matter what happened It was her thinking that had to change and only the parents are capable of influencing her but they failed.. the chances of the girl committing suicide was high so her and her parents needed counseling
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

First of all, we do NOT know if the school REALLY knew. This is what the mother says and I don't trust her.

Secondly, depressive people are USUALLY not dangerous to others. A school cannot forbid a child to come to school on grounds of depression.
Where in the original article does it say the girl is suffering from depression. All the article said was the girl had an history of suicidal thoughts and has a social worker. The girl could be schizophrenic, ODD, ADHD, seizures, Mood disorder or even a severe case of depression. We don't have an idea what she has in her medical record.
I am sure most schools would like to know the health status of a child before admitting her.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by millionboi(m): 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
priscaoge:
[size=14pt] When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures. [/size]
My dear dnt conclude so fast,those ppl r racist,she might ve bein sufferin som kind of discriminatn 4rm dem....Anyway No place lik home
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

I know that case. That woman received severe burns, needed skin grafts and was permanently disfigured. The coffee was actually dangerously hot. In the course of the investigation, it was discovered that McDonald's requires its franchisees to serve their coffee at a temperature so high that it causes third degree burns in seconds.

I know people like to use that story as a funny example of frivolous lawsuits, but there's a reason why McDonald's, with all its very expensive lawyers, lost that case.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

If you was a teacher, you should know that the principal is not in his / her office all day long and that a principal is a very busy person with a very busy schedule.

@bold

How did the girl lie?

she lied to the teacher she submitted her papers to..
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
Misogynist2014:
This is one of the effects of not beating your children. When children are beaten while young, little traumas like this won't have much effects on them, not to talk of killing oneself for paltry issues like cyber bully. Mthcheew undecided
Are you being sarcastic
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:
There are too many depressed people in the United States. Why is that? They are supposed to be living the dream life, and yet all I ever hear is how dissatisfied people are with their lives and falling into a depressing well.

I guess life isn't always greener on the other side.

A high-pressure and flamboyant environment with very limited safety net if you fail.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

So they should have detained her and refused to let her go to the toilet as she requested because they did not know what she was going through at home?

And what would funky modern-wannabees like you have said if that was in the papers?

Imagine the girl would pee in front of the whole class. That would definitely help her.

Or imagine a male teacher would go with her to the toilet and not allow her to close the door because she might take pills to kill herself. Can you imagine the scandal?

Oh no! There are so many teachers at school and they have so much time that it would be easy for the management to have the girl be taught by female teachers only.

It is so easy to take care of hundreds of students when some parents are not even able to take care of 1-3 kids.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she lied to the teacher she submitted her papers to..

Lied about what?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by kelechiMarie(f): 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Thank you! Well said!

I suspect you live in the UK.

The land of useless kids in the midst of abundance!
i live in nigeria actually but used to have some classmates imported from the uk.Very spoilt brats kai!!
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:03pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Why would the school allow a sick child into it's premises knowing fully well that she was not alright upstairs. I am sure most of us would not want our child/children sitting next to a crazy patient in an exam hall. Note: Mental health issue may appear normal in appearance for a while or months. But they are still unstable.

Why should the parents send their mentally-ill kids to such school?

Why not to a psychiatric ward?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

Interesting...
Sometimes. i wish i had studied law in a place like America grin,
the person that initiated the lawsuit must have made lots of money from McD for having a burnt or sore tongue from drinking the hot coffee grin grin...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Who Can Remember This Pic / Nairaland Official SCHOLARSHIPS Thread (degree, Masters, Phd, Contests Et Al) / Auchi Polytechnic Student Used ₦100 Notes For Exam Malpractice (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.