Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York (64121 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

I've been a teacher in one of my past jobs. the point is schools have counselors... someone that cheated and has a suicidal history should be handled with supervision but the girl lied and followed her thoughts..

For how long?

On what basis?

And detained from going to the toilet?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Where in the original article does it say the girl is suffering from depression. All the article said was the girl had an history of suicidal thoughts and has a social worker. The girl could be schizophrenic, ODD, ADHD, seizures, Mood disorder or even a severe case of depression. We don't have an idea what she has in her medical record.
I am sure most schools would like to know the health status of a child before admitting her.

Someone said that she suffered from depression, this is why I was talking about depression.

You are right, she could have suffered from other mental illness.

A school would like to know and the school knows are two different things. A school has no right to force parents to show them medical records.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Interesting...
Sometimes. i wish i had studied law in a place like America grin,
the person that initiated the lawsuit must have made lots of money from McD for having a burnt or sore tongue from drinking the hot coffee grin grin...
MissMeiya:

I know that case. That woman received severe burns, needed skin grafts and was permanently disfigured. The coffee was actually dangerously hot. In the course of the investigation, it was discovered that McDonald's requires its franchisees to serve their coffee at a temperature so high that it causes third degree burns in seconds.
I know people like to use that story as a funny example of frivolous lawsuits, but there's a reason why McDonald's, with all its very expensive lawyers, lost that case.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by symbian03(m): 9:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
embarassed
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Its not about her suing the school... it was about the health of her child... Its not exam stress.. the girl was suicidal... no matter what happened It was her thinking that had to change and only the parents are capable of influencing her but they failed.. the chances of the girl committing suicide was high so her and her parents needed counseling

So how is the school responsible for her death?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:07pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

@ topic: My condolences to the girl's family.

Do you know that a lawsuit against McDonalds many years ago forced the restaurant to label their coffee "hot"? Welcome to America, the land of lawsuits grin

You have stewpid laws when you have democracy and let every ediot have an opinion. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by vislabraye(m): 9:07pm On Nov 15, 2014
What's wrong with our people brought up in the West.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:

Lol grin

Too many laws in America there is no freedom anymore. You guys need to start voting people who will free you from the bondage of laws. Seriously.
Serious bondage...
MissMeiya:

Thanks...did not see that.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:
There are too many depressed people in the United States. Why is that? They are supposed to be living the dream life, and yet all I ever hear is how dissatisfied people are with their lives and falling into a depressing well.

I guess life isn't always greener on the other side.

Thinking that everybody should be happy in the United States is like thinking that everybody should be miserable in a developing country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

First of all, we do NOT know if the school REALLY knew. This is what the mother says and I don't trust her.

Secondly, depressive people are USUALLY not dangerous to others. A school cannot forbid a child to come to school on grounds of depression.

Acoording to our hindsight expert "liberals", they should!

And if they did not because of no benefit of hindsight, they should be sued for $10m.

Welcome to democracy!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by chamboy(m): 9:10pm On Nov 15, 2014
All dis African Voodoo thingy
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 9:11pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Thinking that everybody should be happy in the United States is like thinking that everybody should be miserable in a developing country.
That wasn't what I meant, but Sagamite already provided an answer.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:12pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Its not about her suing the school... it was about the health of her child... Its not exam stress.. the girl was suicidal... no matter what happened It was her thinking that had to change and only the parents are capable of influencing her but they failed.. the chances of the girl committing suicide was high so her and her parents needed counseling

So your argument is that the parents failed but they should sue the school for their failure?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Acoording to our hindsight expert "liberals", they should!

And if they did not because of no benefit of hindsight, they should be sued for $10m.

Welcome to democracy!

This is the way of thinking people have where people like Patience Jonathan can graduate in psychology.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 9:16pm On Nov 15, 2014
vislabraye:
What's wrong with our people brought up in the West.
They're missing the koboko induced pain that's been hardwired in our DNA but hasn't been activated sad
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Imagine the girl would pee in front of the whole class. That would definitely help her.

Or imagine a male teacher would go with her to the toilet and not allow her to close the door because she might take pills to kill herself. Can you imagine the scandal?

Oh no! There are so many teachers at school and they have so much time that it would be easy for the management to have the girl be taught by female teachers only.

It is so easy to take care of hundreds of students when some parents are not even able to take care of 1-3 kids.

What they need to do to avoid all possible hindsight that our "progressives" might come up with is:

- Tie her up or put her in a strait jacket
- Sit with her in the room
- Call her parents

That way, she would not even have a chance to smash a glass and harm herself or anyone else.

Then when we hear that happened in the press, the same "progressives" would come out with their moral superiority of how her rights were violated because of her mental health problems. That they should have only blown her kisses, so the school should be sued for detaining her unlawfully.

Funky-wannabees!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

So your argument is that the parents failed but they should sue the school for their failure?

This is EXACTLY the problem I have with this story.

Her parents made mistakes but blame the school.

I am not saying that the teacher handled the situation properly. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I can't say because I wasn't there and I don't trust this mother.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

What they need to do to avoid all possible hindsight that our "progressives" might come up with is:

- Call her parents

That way, she would not even have a chance to smash a glass and harm herself or anyone else.

Then when we hear that happened in the press, the same "progressives" would come out with their moral superiority of how her rights were violated because of her mental health problems. That they should have only blown her kisses, so the school should be sued for detaining her unlawfully.

Funky-wannabees!

EXACTLY!

Now people say that the school should have made the girl stay in a room by force but if they had done it, they would have been sued for imprisoning a child and at worst by using violence to do so.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

I don't think she was born and bred in Nigeria. Suicide is very common in developed country. The mental health unit in children's and adolescents hospitals are full with children with suicidal thoughts, schizophrenia, ADHD e.t.c.

I would blame the mother though, much depends on her. If you bring your child up abroad the way oyinbo dey bring up their children i.e no yelling, beating, flogging, spanking, slapping e.t.c then they should expect their children to act like oyinbo kids.

That is why it is very important to teach our children their language and culture just like South Asian families(Indians and Pakistans). Their children born and bred abroad, never been to their country of origin speak their mother tongue fluently and have excellent knowledge of their cultures.

But our own kids become too westernized.

The school/mental health institution would share in the blame too, that is where the lawsuit came in. They should have handled the child delicately or put are through some sort of structured learning. Especially when it was known to them that she had mental health issues in the past. RIP to her.

Well said ojarey..
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

This is EXACTLY the problem I have with this story.

Her parents made mistakes but blame the school.

I am not saying that the teacher handled the situation properly. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I can't say because I wasn't there and I don't trust this mother.

The teachers did an absolutely normal thing in my view and should be in-sueable for it. They did not fail in their obligations.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

- Call her parents

Funky-wannabees!
Common. I believe you are more educated than this. Do you honestly think that is the only way to enforce someone from leaving a school premises
That is why law is not your calling. Leave that for the professionals. Maybe Nairaland MOD is your calling. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

The teachers did an absolutely normal thing in my view and should be in-sueable for it. They did not fail in their obligations.

If I had been the teacher, I would not have yelled at a mentally sick child.
And I would have talked to the girl after the exam.

However, I don't know what the teacher REALLY did.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by ogtavia(m): 9:30pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

The teacher might not be aware of the victim's health issues. Then again, there was no point yelling at the girl. She could have just reported her to the governing board for the case to be handled properly and not embarrass the poor girl.

My point exactly
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:31pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

EXACTLY!

Now people say that the school should have made the girl stay in a room by force but if they had done it, they would have been sued for imprisoning a child and at worst by using violence to do so.

This is what our funky progressives want the school to do to her to avoid all possible hindsight suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IayQ9MAl4
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

If I had been the teacher, I would not have yelled at a mentally sick child.
And I would have talked to the girl after the exam.

However, I don't know what the teacher REALLY did.

That is why the case is now in court...so many unanswered questions.

''Now Adeoye’s court-filed papers reportedly state that even though the teacher had immediate possession of the suicide note, the school’s staff “…failed to prevent (the teenager) from leaving the school.” The heartbroken Mom also claims that the school waited too long before police were summoned''.
Adeoye is also contesting that the fact that her daughter even cheated at all stating that the accusation was never verified.
Even if the case is thrown out. I am sure the school would learn a thing or two from this episode.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 9:32pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Common. I believe you are more educated than this. Do you honestly think that is the only way to enforce someone from leaving a school premises
That is why law is not your calling. Leave that for the professionals.

I have asked you what you expect them to do and you have not responded to my questions afterwards.

Tish me, professional.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

This is what our funky progressives want the school to do to her to avoid all possible hindsight suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IayQ9MAl4

I like funky progressives. Schools should be allowed to do it. grin grin grin cool
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by MrPaul2: 9:33pm On Nov 15, 2014
You sure say that babe na naija. We non day die like that oh. I'm sure there is a mixed up . Reason an, we day vex oh.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

I know that case. That woman received severe burns, needed skin grafts and was permanently disfigured. The coffee was actually dangerously hot. In the course of the investigation, it was discovered that McDonald's requires its franchisees to serve their coffee at a temperature so high that it causes third degree burns in seconds.

I know people like to use that story as a funny example of frivolous lawsuits, but there's a reason why McDonald's, with all its very expensive lawyers, lost that case.
My bad. I didn't know it was that severe
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

That is why the case is now in court...so many unanswered questions.

''Now Adeoye’s court-filed papers reportedly state that even though the teacher had immediate possession of the suicide note, the school’s staff “…failed to prevent (the teenager) from leaving the school.” The heartbroken Mom also claims that the school waited too long before police were summoned''.
Adeoye is also contesting that the fact that her daughter even cheated at all stating that the accusation was never verified.
Even if the case is thrown out. I am sure the school would learn a thing or two from this episode.

1. If the teacher yelled, must be proven. There were plenty of witnesses in the room so it should not be a problem.

2. When you collect tests after an exam, you do not check them immediately. It can take a week or two till you correct them so he might not have seen the suicide note immediately.

3. Did they know the girl wanted to leave the school's premises?

4. If they did, how could they have prevented her from leaving the school's premises? They are not allowed to do so by force.

5. When did they notice that the girl left the school's premises?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:

Lol grin

Too many laws in America there is no freedom anymore. You guys need to start voting people who will free you from the bondage of laws. Seriously.
Yeah, the issue of too many regulations has even been raised by some legal practitioners here. There are truly ridiculous laws ie a New York City ordinance limiting the size of soda (soft drink) people can drink in a restaurant grin

At the Federal level, if a politician uses part of his campaign funds to buy a personal car, he/she could face prosecution, and possibly jail time
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

I have asked you what you expect them to do and you have not responded to my questions afterwards.

Tish me, professional.
It's neither my profession.
We have peace officers (atleast in Canada, I am sure they do in the US too..) in high schools or patient watch in mental health Units or Psychiatry wards in Hospitals. They are not there to arrest just for theft.

The Peace officers(Similar to NSCDC in Nigeria) are sometimes required to keep an eye on special students at the request of the school authority. Part of their job duties requires that they stop students (with mental health issues) from harming themselves or others. Or to stop act of violence from occurring in the school premises. You read the part the girls mum said the school had safety cameras yet the girl still managed to leave the school premises and jump into a river.

Maybe high schools in the UK don't have stuffs like that.. Left England not long after I completed my degree.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Who Can Remember This Pic / Nairaland Official SCHOLARSHIPS Thread (degree, Masters, Phd, Contests Et Al) / Auchi Polytechnic Student Used ₦100 Notes For Exam Malpractice (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.