Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York (64132 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 15, 2014
godG:

Bro, sorry I have to chip in. I get your point but the fact still remains that a kid born and raised in Nigeria will most likely not respond to an allegation of malpractice like that. Come on! We all know these things na. I think issues like this is why it is not that good not to have a true rugged mentality. In Africa, you don't have to be 40 to be, there are many rugged kids everywhere.

Imagine a kid that killed herself because of an allegation of malpractice! What will such do if s/he should lose both parents? It's crazy!

Sometimes ago, I was watching a film with a friend - given birth to in and had all her education in the UK. The film got to a stage and she was crying seriously. As in, she wept. I be like babe; "On top this film or another one?"

Truth of it is that all these things have to do upbringing. Well, we could say theirs is a perfect upbringing but the disadvantages of such could be heartbreaking, just like we have seen from the story. May she fare well over there...

True but would you rather raise a kid here or there?
I don't see how softness of the heart is a detriment.
If anything it makes us more empathic to things around us.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by toshmann(m): 9:51pm On Nov 15, 2014
priscaoge:
[size=14pt] When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures. [/size]
Mental health is complex. Don't blame the victim. As you read, she has tried suicide before. So what happened in this case is just a tip of the iceberg, there's a huge emotional vacuum in her life and the exam experience was just the last straw.

I've heard of more than a couple of suicides in New York City alone inye last few months. Young teenagers especially have peculiar problems that the State department of health is seriously trying to figure out.

Don't look down on these people. Africa has a strong family values and in Africa family includes uncles, cousins, in-laws, even some friends. This system kinda helps with emotional support in a way we may never understand until you come to a country where once you start developing pubic hairs you're almost on your own. It's rough here o for these kids.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

American judges need to start clamping down of frivolous claims by awarding punitive costs.
But Liberals here would never allow such reform. They've successfully framed promoters of "tort reform" as being pro-big corporations and anti-regular joes.

Also, the trial lawyers donate heavily to Democrats and some moderate Republican lawmakers. That means tort reform ain't coming any time soon
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by maiquel: 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
priscaoge:
[size=14pt] When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures. [/size]
And una no kill una selves...
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

EXACTLY!

Now people say that the school should have made the girl stay in a room by force but if they had done it, they would have been sued for imprisoning a child and at worst by using violence to do so.

No one said the girl should be made to stay in a room. But there are ways people can be monitored or watched for safety reasons. Even mental health patient in hospitals are allowed to leave their rooms or roam about the Unit as long as they can be prevented from harming themselves or others. Some are even allowed to go home on weekends with families or attend school within hospital premises yet being watched by peace officers. Sometimes it's part of the therapy recommended by physicians.

Now, just to watch and protect that girl to make sure she is safe for a few hours is not too much too ask for. She even wrote her suicidal thought in her exam paper which was seen by the invigilator should have atleast given the school a chance to get themselves together.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Martiyu(m): 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
nickz:
mtchewwwww...........she should have drank coke

Mixed with substance abi
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

No one said the girl should be made to stay in a room. But there are ways people can be monitored or watched for safety reasons. Even mental health patient in hospitals are allowed to leave their rooms or roam about the Unit as long as they can be prevented from harming themselves or others. Sometimes it's part of the therapy recommended by physicians.

So a teacher should follow her around for safety reasons?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by 9jatatafo(m): 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
The mother should have sent that girl down to Nigeria when she noticed that her girl was having problems, owu in Nigeria is a correctional facility. At least owu would have wiped out that nonsense thinking and her brain formated and re-programmed for good. That said, the woman failed in her duty as a mother to give this girl real African training. RIP girl
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
priscaoge:

Just because ur school & country does dat doesnt mean its ryt...the girl was said to have attempted suicide b4 dat shows dat she should have been taken proper care of in a sane society...its only in a country like nigeria d@ you will add insult upon injury on the girl. This girl was probably on therapy & needed to be handled with care & d school authority are well aware of that fact...somethinb tells me if the girl was white it wojld have been handled differently....we praise anomaly in this country the reason youre saying what you said. In my opinion the mother has a good case....

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by lezz(m): 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
Herrmes:
Kinda why I like Nigerians, in your deluded mind, you're smart and I'm stupid right? You're so stupid that you don't know a joke when you see one
But if you meant that as a joke, it was dry and so lacking in humour. And why would you joke about a Nigerian teen who committed suicide ? Why the generalisation of "Nigerians"?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

My bad. I didn't know it was that severe

It's not your fault. I suspect McDonald's was secretly behind much of the mockery, to battle bad press from the suit.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:
There are too many depressed people in the United States. Why is that? They are supposed to be living the dream life, and yet all I ever hear is how dissatisfied people are with their lives and falling into a depressing well.

I guess life isn't always greener on the other side.
My dear, if u are having problem paying your mortgage, have multiple traffic tickets, have to pay high auto-insurance premiums, and worry if your health insurance would pay for some medical procedures, depression could come knocking on your door; except if you have a strong family network which most Africans here have.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So a teacher should follow her around for safety reasons?
There are peace officers, security officers, e.t.c in high school employed for safety reasons. It's not the work of teachers. Just as it's not the work of Registered psychiatric nurses or mental heath nurses to sit down and watch suicidal patient all day from using IV tubes to kill themselves.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by OICpositive: 10:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
[quote author=kings11ng post=28027383]Mounsurat Adeoye, the Mother of teen Omotayo
(pictured) who committed suicide after allegedly
cheating on a high school exam, is reportedly
placing the blame of her daughter’s death on the
high school she attended and has filed a $10
million lawsuit against the city of New York.

NewsOne reports:
"When Omotayo got busted peeking at her
cellphone while taking a German test, the teacher
allegedly snatched it away, accusing her of
cheating and yelling at her. Omotayo reportedly
burst into tears while apologizing profusely to the
instructor. A few hours after the emotional
exchange between the teacher and Omotayo,
according to police investigators, the young girl
scrawled the following words on her German
language exam that read, “I just want to go away
forever on the bottom of the river.”

"After Omotayo handed in her test paper and asked
to go to the restroom, she never returned to the
classroom.

"Instead, the teen walked to Manhattan’s Hudson
River’s edge in Harlem, placed her identification on
a rock, then plunged in to the murky waters."

According to Mounsurat, the school knew that
Omotayo had emotional problems -- since she had
attempted suicide before -- but they did not take
proper care of her.

Do you think the Mother has a lawsuit?
Read the rest here:
http://newsone.com/3070778/omotayo-adeoye-l
awsuit/[/quote,,like dis our lecturers wey de shook eye 4 person paper as if their can write more dan u,,,look at wht de hv caused]
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

No one said the girl should be made to stay in a room. But there are ways people can be monitored or watched for safety reasons. Even mental health patient in hospitals are allowed to leave their rooms or roam about the Unit as long as they can be prevented from harming themselves or others. Some are even allowed to go home on weekends with families or attend school within hospital premises yet being watched by peace officers. Sometimes it's part of the therapy recommended by physicians.

Now, just to watch and protect that girl to make sure she is safe for a few hours is not too much too ask for. She even wrote her suicidal thought in her exam paper which was seen by the invigilator should have atleast given the school a chance to get themselves together.
Had it been the city had not cleared the teacher of wrongdoing, the girl's parents may have sued the school using the "in loco parentis" doctrine. The doctrine simply implies that individuals such as teachers, babysitters and family members could be held liable for the injury suffered by a minor entrusted in their care.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 10:11pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

My dear, if u are having problem paying your mortgage, have multiple traffic tickets, have to pay high auto-insurance premiums, and worry if your health insurance would pay for some medical procedures, depression could come knocking on your door; except if you have a strong family network which most Africans here have.
But teenagers? What have they got to worry about?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

It's not your fault. I suspect McDonald's was secretly behind much of the mockery, to battle bad press from the suit.
That's plausible. It may have been their ploy to discourage legitimate lawsuits being filed against the big corporations.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 10:13pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

Yeah, the issue of too many regulations has even been raised by some legal practitioners here. There are truly ridiculous laws ie a New York City ordinance limiting the size of soda (soft drink) people can drink in a restaurant grin

At the Federal level, if a politician uses part of his campaign funds to buy a personal car, he/she could face prosecution, and possibly jail time
Oh wow. What a place grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by wirelessssss(m): 10:16pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So cellphones should be admitted during exams?

Why learn when you can take out your smartphone and google and then you just "copy and paste" or better ask someone to answer the questions via email. undecided
"Stay hungry, stay foolish" -S. Jobs smiley
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:

But teenagers? What have they got to worry about?
You'd be surprised that being called a "retardeen" or "pig nose" at school could lead to depression. Teenagers put a high premium on such relatively mundane things
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

You'd be surprised that being called a "retardeen" or "pig nose" at school could lead to depression. Teenagers put a high premium on such relatively mundane things
or telling a girl that she is ''Fat'', even though she is Fat for real... grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 10:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
CFCfan:

No sense of self-worth and constantly seeking external validation. That's bad and sad.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by David4best(m): 10:29pm On Nov 15, 2014
She may be from d marine world and had few time lesser than the real God ordained time to spend on earth• A girl drank poison & kill herself after she was given examination malpractice form to fill during my ND days in Auchpoly. U know Auchipoly don't joke with examination malpractice• If u caught, no mercy at all. It is either u are expelled or u repit that class or course• These nonsense have spitual control•
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

or telling a girl that she is ''Fat'', even though she is Fat for real... grin grin grin
Absolutely. Calling a lady "fat" is almost a taboo cheesy
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 15, 2014
UjSizzle:

No sense of self-worth and constantly seeking external validation. That's bad and sad.

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
I am sure she would still have committed suicide if she were a victim of incessant ASUU strikes...
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by judmanjudman4u: 10:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]Pls is it a psychiatric school?
How can d family blame d school for not handling their isane daughter with care.
Imagine self that was not d first time she attempted sucide.
Abi d school go teach d girl come stil treat d madness when da worry her?

Make dem go put their duaghter for ground and stop exploiting her death.

And b4 I forget R.I.P to her soul
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by felipemadero(m): 10:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
repogirl:
She should have been handled delicately since they knew she was unstable.
how far u don upload any dose?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by masqot(m): 10:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
It's a pity she's gone. People who commit suicide usually have prior attempt(s). First the parents did not make the girl understand she's got to be responsible for her action or she's got emotional "issues". Moreover, the school didn't handle her case well.
Coming back to Naija, invigilator could tear your paper if you attempt to borrow a pencil. Life no fit end nah!
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

There are peace officers, security officers, e.t.c in high school employed for safety reasons. It's not the work of teachers. Just as it's not the work of Registered psychiatric nurses or mental heath nurses to sit down and watch suicidal patient all day from using IV tubes to kill themselves.

I am not located in North America. Sorry, I don't know about peace and security officers at schools.

Can you please explain to me how they work? Do they shadow suicidal students?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by englishmart(m): 10:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
50calibre:

This retar*ded liar is here again with his usual bullshi*t.... So you're still in the lying business?
shut up! Eeeeeeeeediot!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Who Can Remember This Pic / Nairaland Official SCHOLARSHIPS Thread (degree, Masters, Phd, Contests Et Al) / Auchi Polytechnic Student Used ₦100 Notes For Exam Malpractice (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.