Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:53 AM

Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? (2900 Views)

All APC Nairaland Supporters, AKA progressives, Fall In. / A Nine-year-old Girl Has Done The Unexpected To The All Progressives Congress. / A.P.C The "Transparent" Progressives? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 16, 2014
I posed this same question on a thread that had a cluster of progressives, 48hrs and counting nobody could defend the "progressive ideology" and what it means to APC, Nigeria's self-acclaimed progressive party

Now I want to throw the question to the house and see if I can spur up an intellectual debate.

NB: Your ability to hold a microphone and call the President a thief does not make you progressive. Its about your ideology, beliefs, policies, world views and values

What does a progressive mean in Nigeria politics?

Some are now calling Tambuwal progressive and I say based on what? What bills did Tambuwal champion as a legislator that classifies him as progressive?

Please what makes Buhari a progressive?

What does the word progressive really mean to Nigerians?

NB: being opposed to GEJ or PDP is not enough to call anybody progressive! It should be based on values, world views, principles, ideologies, policy subscription.

And to the so called progressives in the house:

1. What are your economic views and how has this been replicated in the states where APC hold sway. Is there a clear economic policy to empower the have nots? As we speak Fashola for all his brilliance is accused of being elitist!

2. What are your views on welfare and education. the Hausa Fulani North that forms the backbone of Nigeria's progressives, please what have they done so far within their community to champion education for all including women? Hausa Fulani women are the most marginalised and relegated in the country yet Buhari, Tambuwal, Elrufai etc are Nigeria's progressives!

Please again I ask what does the word "PROGRESSIVE" mean to a Nigerian?

https://www.nairaland.com/1998766/nairaland-progressives-lets-endorse-muhammadu/1#28045200
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 16, 2014
There is a picture flying around the internet. It shows how almajiri children faired before now and how they go to school in cloths and organised class-rooms under GEJ and his almajiri education scheme.

While this new situation may not have gone round to every kid in the north, it's a good start!

But somehow the very people who looked the other way while kids wandered on the streets cloth less with bowls begging for food ; now call themselves progressives?

There is God o !

NOW TELL ME WHO IS MORE PROGRESSIVE?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 16, 2014
I will particularly like to hear from my Nairaland e-crush "Obiagelli".

What her views are on the freedom of women in the North West and why she thinks the likes of Buhari, Kwakwanso, Tambuwal are more progressive than anyone considering these men come from a region where women are so relegated and almajiri kids until recently relied on begging on the streets for survival and these men did absolutely nothing about it!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
@mikeansy

you do know people dont give a damn about your commentaries because you actually don't make sense at all. but let me quote one stuff from a progressive then see the maturity and compare it with yours

duwdu:
Sonala Olumhense is always an erudite, truthful, factual, and non-sentimental writer. This write-up is no different, and I do agree with it.

By the way, this is the first instance of his writings that I know of, in which Sonala would be direct in a belief that PDP could actually be voted out of power. He's always taciturn.

That says a lot, in my book. It, in fact, makes one more hopeful.

In addition, I do expect the leaders of opposition to the PDP at ALL levels – especially at the Federal level – to effectively mobilize and organize the people to go out there and vote; and for the INEC to try all that's humanly possible and make every legitimate vote – from ALL sides – to count.

Those will constitute the stuff of which the beginning of a true political evolution in Nigeria shall be made.

P34c3

from the Gbawe thread. Please clean the dirt from your eyes my IGBO brother, and see things clearly. You have been fooled for 15 years running, lets say no more to PDP!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
diluminati:
@mikeansy

you do know people dont give a damn about your commentaries because you actually don't make sense at all. but let me quote one stuff from a progressive then see the maturity and compare it with yours

from the Gbawe thread. Please clean the dirt from your eyes my IGBO brother, and see things clearly. You have been fooled for 15 years running, lets say no more to PDP!

sorry sir!

but the thread is not about electability of any side but about ideology and what the progressives really represent

if we can understand what the progressives represent then we may appreciate why PDP needs to be kicked out of power

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2014
mikeansy:

sorry sir!

but the thread is not about electability of any side but about ideology and what the progressives really represent

if we can understand what the progressives represent then we may appreciate why PDP needs to be kicked out of power

i'm not sir you boy. call me Ma'm next time ok? But why are you searching out the obvious? look at PDP and you will know what the Progressives who cut across nigeria stands for.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
mikeansy:
There is a picture flying around the internet. It shows how almajiri children faired before now and how they go to school in cloths and organised class-rooms under GEJ and his almajiri education scheme.

While this new situation may not have gone round to every kid in the north, it's a good start!

But somehow the very people who looked the other way while kids wandered on the streets cloth less with bowls begging for food ; now call themselves progressives?

There is God o !

NOW TELL ME WHO IS MORE PROGRESSIVE?

Ridiculous.

So GEJ took a picture of twenty boys holding bowls to then take another one after they were dressed in bedsheets and you call it progress? grin

GEJ's official fortune amounts to the fortune of leaders from the best developed countries in the world and we should thank him for dressing 20 boys in bedsheets? grin

Ridiculous.

Schools are his damn responsibility. Nothing special.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

please can you say it again so his brain can assimilate it well?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 16, 2014
diluminati:

i'm not sir you boy. call me Ma'm next time ok? But why are you searching out the obvious? look at PDP and you will know what the Progressives who cut across nigeria stands for.

Appologies ma'am was not my intention to question your gender nor insult your beauty. All innocent error.

But on the subject of the day it seems to me that those who call themselves progressives don't even understand the meaning of the word!
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Mogidi: 12:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
diluminati:
@mikeansy

Someone as rigid and conservative as Buhari is termed a progressive hence the question "who is a progressive"? Stop exhibiting your folly, answer the question.

How does Buhari represent "progress" or modernity?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Ridiculous.

So GEJ took a picture of twenty boys holding bowls to then take another one after they were dressed in bedsheets and you call it progress? grin

GEJ's official fortune amounts to the fortune of leaders from the best developed countries in the world and we should thank him for dressing 20 boys in bedsheets? grin

Ridiculous.

Even if it's one student only it's about the intention and symbolism of the gesture which goes further to highlight this government's almajiri education programme.

The agenda may not seem a big deal but considering that the Buharis of this world have been northern leaders since I was a toddler but never thought of this then it is a big deal.

I also believe that this almajiri education programme will be remembered by historians of the future as one of the most transformational things GEJ did.

Because what is going on here is not just clothing a bunch of primary school kids but confronting terrorism at source and preventing the space that terrorists exploit with their hateful speeches.

Rather than tell these boys to go and "soak baboons and monkeys in blood", l say let's teach them to be the Engineers and medical doctors and teachers of the future!

But most importantly that's what progress looks like

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by donphilopus: 12:57pm On Nov 16, 2014
Contemplating first. . . . .
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
mikeansy:

Even if it's one student only it's about the intention and symbolism of the gesture which goes further to highlight this government's almajiri education programme.

The agenda may not seem a big deal but considering that the Buharis of this world have been northern leaders since I was a toddler but never thought of this then it is a big deal.

I also believe that this almajiri education programme will be remembered by historians of the future as one of the most transformational things GEJ did.

Because what is going on here is not just clothing a bunch of primary school kids but confronting terrorism at source and preventing the space that terrorists exploit with their hateful speeches.

Rather than tell these boys to go and "soak baboons and monkeys in blood", l say let's teach them to be the Engineers and medical doctors and teachers of the future!

But most importantly that's what progress looks like

It his RESPONSIBILITY to provide FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL.

It is something leaders do.

There is nothing special about it.

You don't praise leaders for doing such, you expect it of them.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 1:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

Ignorant one, the responsibility of giving those kids basic education rest solely on the State governors. GEJ stepping in should be commended cos the scourge of BH is fueled by the abandoned and forgotten almajiri kids.

Building hundreds of Almajiri schools is not meant for only 20 kids. So stay your errant comments till further notice.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 1:23pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Read the post above and quarantine all seeming ignorance in your possession.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
diluminati:

please can you say it again so his brain can assimilate it well?

Instead of setting up fake oil companies and flying tax payers money with private jets, he should provide FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL IN EVERY PART OF THE COUNTRY. It HIS DAMN JOB AND DUTY to do so.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Read the post above and quarantine all seeming ignorance in your possession.

What is ignorant about it?

You don't know that FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL is a leader's responsibility?

Pity.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Ignorant one, the responsibility of giving those kids basic education rest solely on the State governors. GEJ stepping in should be commended cos the scourge of BH is fueled by the abandoned and forgotten almajiri kids.

Building hundreds of Almajiri schools is not meant for only 20 kids. So stay your errant comments till further notice.

You are the most ignorant person here.

And because of people like you, your leaders fly out their kids to be educated abroad when you thank them for free education, which in a sane country is a constitutional responsibility.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 1:40pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You are the most ignorant person here.

And because of people like you, your leaders fly out their kids to be educated abroad when you thank them for free education, which in a sane country is a constitutional responsibility.

Constitutional responsibility of who ? GEJ or the State Governors. The northern state governors failed woefully in the duty to provide basic education to their wards , thus ruining the future of those kids for their own selfish perpetuation in the polity.

GEJ stepping in the gap to stop the menacing almajiri tradition that is threatening the very foundation of our nationhood with terrorism should be commended.

Your attempt here to ignorantly harass the OP with baseless innuendos won't stand.

Give valid or cogent answers to the OP posers or excuse us.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Funny troll!!!

Imo offers free education at all levels. It is APC state
Osun not only gives free education, it also feed the student. It is APC state.
Kano offers free education at all levels, he even built world class university-the North West Uni in Wudil. The State also sponsors thousands of Students to universities like Bells, Igbenedion and other top schools across Nigeria and abroad. All for FREE!!! It is APC State.
These are just few examples of what ProgreSsive Governors do.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 1:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

[s]What is ignorant about it?

You don't know that FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL is a leader's responsibility?

Pity[/s]

Crap . . .
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by BrokenTV: 1:45pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

It was his responsibility but was not the responsibility of the northern leaders who have lead this country before, including their governor's and the well to do people from that region. please tell me something.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Arch1: 1:47pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

what is JonaTAN doing about his home state; bayelsa? The only tarred road in Bayesa state is the road leading to the government house at Yenogoa. What a shame !
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 1:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
barcanista:
Funny troll!!!

Imo offers free education at all levels. It is APC state
Osun not only gives free education, it also feed the student. It is APC state.
Kano offers free education at all levels, he even built world class university-the North West Uni in Wudil. The State also sponsors thousands of Students to universities like Bells, Igbenedion and other top schools across Nigeria and abroad. All for FREE!!! It is APC State.
These are just few examples of what ProgreSsive Governors do.

The resident disgraced nairaland jester and fraud is here.

Osun and Imo don't have the almajiri system plaguing the society.

And for all of Kwankwaso worth, you can never compare the embarrassing numbers of kids that are out of school in Kano than their counterparts in the south.

You should do better than call people troll whenever your foolishness is about to be exposed.

Be guided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 1:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
Arch1:
what is JonaTAN doing about his home state; bayelsa? The only tarred road in Bayesa state is the road leading to the government house at Yenogoa. What a shame !

Lolz . . . . .Keep your comic antics up . . . .
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by BrokenTV: 1:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Instead of setting up fake oil companies and flying tax payers money with private jets, he should provide FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL IN EVERY PART OF THE COUNTRY. It HIS DAMN JOB AND DUTY to do so.

going by what you just posted here I think is time we scrap the the executive arm of government leaving only the office of the presidency. sometimes you guys type nonsense without reflecting on what you are posting.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Constitutional responsibility of who ? GEJ or the State Governors. The northern state governors failed woefully in the duty to provide basic education to their wards , thus ruining the future of those kids for their own selfish perpetuation in the polity.

GEJ stepping in the gap to stop the menacing almajiri tradition that is threatening the very foundation of our nationhood with terrorism should be commended.

Your attempt here to ignorantly harass the OP with baseless innuendos won't stand.

Give valid or cogent answers to the OP posers or excuse us.

@bold

Read this.

Chapter II
Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy

13. It shall be the duty and responsibility of all organs of government, and of all authorities and persons, exercising legislative, executive or judicial powers, to conform to, observe and apply the provisions of this Chapter of this Constitution.

(...)

18. (1) Government shall direct its policy towards ensuring that there are equal and adequate educational opportunities at all levels.
(2) Government shall promote science and technology
(3) Government shall strive to eradicate illiteracy; and to this end Government shall as and when practicable provide

(a) free, compulsory and universal primary education;
(b) free secondary education;

(c) free university education; and

(d) free adult literacy program me.

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/ChapterTwo.html

It is his damn responsibility to protect the Constitution. I cannot help you if you don't know it.

I am not surprised you don't know it when people like Patience Jonathan run the Ministry of Education. grin

The revised material reads, in part: “Goodluck Jonathan is a Nigerian politician who has a net worth of $10 million…Upon being elected Vice President in May 2007, Dr. Jonathan voluntarily revealed his estimated personal wealth. At the time, Dr. Jonathan's 2007 net worth was reportedly equal to just over $8.5 million US dollars. Dr. Jonathan has since been criticized for not making more frequent public declarations of his wealth.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/10/14/following-nigeria-president’s-threats-website-downgrades-goodluck-jonathan’s-net-worth

Goodluck Jonathan's OFFICIAL net worth $ 10 million

Angela Merkel's net worth $11.5 million

Nigeria GDP per capita 3,005.51 USD (2013)

Germany GDP per capita 45,084.87 USD (2013)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Arch1: 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Lolz . . . . .Keep your comic antics up . . . .
The people living in the creeks of bayelsa still drink Guinea-worm infested water. Oil spillage, water pollution and land degradation is still endemic in the creeks.

What is JonaTAN doing for his bayelsa people? They are still suffering
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
BrokenTV:

going by what you just posted here I think is time we scrap the the executive arm of government leaving only the office of the presidency. sometimes you guys type nonsense without reflecting on what you are posting.

Have you said anything sensible and of substance in this your post?
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
BrokenTV:

It was his responsibility but was not the responsibility of the northern leaders who have lead this country before, including their governor's and the well to do people from that region. please tell me something.

Nobody said it was not the responsibility of the State Governors. Nobody!
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Crap . . .

Is it all your brain can produce? Crap?
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by BrokenTV: 2:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Nobody said it was not the responsibility of the State Governors. Nobody!
Then why are you making it look like is only the responsibility of Gej going by your assertion. go through your post and correct yourself in your response to the Op.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Former President, Goodluck Jonathan Publicly Declared His Assets. / U.S. Asks Toyota To Explain Why ISIS Has So Many New Trucks / See Photo Of Alamieyeseigha On Life Support Before His Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.