Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? (2953 Views)

All APC Nairaland Supporters, AKA progressives, Fall In. / A Nine-year-old Girl Has Done The Unexpected To The All Progressives Congress. / A.P.C The "Transparent" Progressives? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
BrokenTV:

Then why are you making it look like is only the responsibility of Gej going by your assertion. go through your post and correct yourself in your response to the Op.

I will not correct anything.

A poster was praising GEJ here and not some state governors and I went with the topic. Very simple.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
. Progressivism is a broad philosophy based on the Idea of Progress, which asserts that advancement in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to improve the human condition. Progressivism became highly significant during the Age of Enlightenment in Europe, out of the belief that Europe was demonstrating that societies could progress in civility from barbaric conditions to civilization through strengthening the basis of empirical knowledge as the foundation of society.[1] Figures of the Enlightenment believed that progress had universal application to all societies and that these ideas would spread across the world from Europe.[1] Sociologist Robert Nisbet finds that "No single idea has been more important than ... the Idea of Progress in Western civilization for three thousand years" and defines five "crucial premises" of the Idea of Progress as being: value of the past, nobility of Western civilization, worth of economic/technological growth, faith in reason and scientific/scholarly knowledge obtained through reason, intrinsic importance and worth of life on earth.[2] Beyond this, the meanings of progressivism have varied over time and from different perspective

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by nku5: 2:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Ridiculous.

So GEJ took a picture of twenty boys holding bowls to then take another one after they were dressed in bedsheets and you call it progress? grin

GEJ's official fortune amounts to the fortune of leaders from the best developed countries in the world and we should thank him for dressing 20 boys in bedsheets? grin

Ridiculous.

Schools are his damn responsibility. Nothing special.

Actually primary education is supposed to be the responsibility of the states. The almajiri school was necessitated due to the failure at state level to provide education over a long period of time
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
nku5:

Actually primary education is supposed to be the responsibility of the states. The almajiri school was necessitated due to the failure at state level to provide education over a long period of time

Chapter II
Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy

13. It shall be the duty and responsibility of all organs of government, and of all authorities and persons, exercising legislative, executive or judicial powers, to conform to, observe and apply the provisions of this Chapter of this Constitution.

(...)

18. (1) Government shall direct its policy towards ensuring that there are equal and adequate educational opportunities at all levels.
(2) Government shall promote science and technology
(3) Government shall strive to eradicate illiteracy; and to this end Government shall as and when practicable provide

(a) free, compulsory and universal primary education;
(b) free secondary education;

(c) free university education; and

(d) free adult literacy program me.

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/ChapterTwo.html
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 2:56pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

@bold

Read this.

Chapter II

13. It shall be the duty and responsibility of all organs of government, and of all authorities and persons, exercising legislative, executive or judicial powers, to conform to, observe and apply the provisions of this Chapter of this Constitution.

(...)

18. (1) Government shall direct its policy towards ensuring that there are equal and adequate educational opportunities at all levels.
(3) Government shall strive to eradicate illiteracy; and to this end Government shall as and when practicable provide

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/ChapterTwo.html

It is

You were only smart by half, you failed to state the opening remarks which showed that with respect to the UBEC act 2004, the federal government is just assisting the State governors in providing basic education to the populace.

COMPULSORY, FREE UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION ACT

An Act to provide for Compulsory, Free Universal basic education; and for connected purposes.

[26th May, 2004]

[Commencement.]

PART 1

Complusory, Free Universal Basic Education, etc.

1. Federal Government intervention for uniform and qualitative basic education.

Without prejudice to the provisions of item 30 of Part II of the Second Schedule and item 2 (a) of the Fourth Schedule to the 1999 Constitution dealing with primary school education, the Federal Government’s intervention under this Act shall only be an assistance to the States and Local Government in Nigeria for the purposes of uniform and qualitative basic education throughout Nigeria.

http://www.placng.org/lawsofnigeria/node/121

carefreewannabe:

The revised material reads, in part: “Goodluck Jonathan is a Nigerian politician who has a net worth of $10 million…Upon being elected Vice President in May 2007, Dr. Jonathan voluntarily revealed his estimated personal wealth. At the time, Dr. Jonathan's 2007 net worth was reportedly equal to just over $8.5 million US dollars. Dr. Jonathan has since been criticized for not making more frequent public declarations of his wealth.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/10/14/following-nigeria-president’s-threats-website-downgrades-goodluck-jonathan’s-net-worth

Goodluck Jonathan's OFFICIAL net worth $ 10 million

Angela Merkel's net worth $11.5 million

Nigeria GDP per capita 3,005.51 USD (2013)

Germany GDP per capita 45,084.87 USD (2013)

kindly also state the current net worth of Atiku, Kwankwaso, Fashola et al., and show us how progressive you all are

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

You were only smart by half, you failed to state the opening remarks which showed that with respect to the UBEC act 2004, the federal government is just assisting the State governors in providing basic education to the populace.

http://www.placng.org/lawsofnigeria/node/121

kindly also state the current net worth of Atiku, Kwankwaso, Fashola et al., and show us how progressive you all are

You admit now that it is also a president's responsibility to ensure free education for all? GOOD!

You are free to provide the net worth of the people you mentioned.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by chamboy(m): 3:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
Please TANIST why is it that ur Paymaster has to employ u to show us his works. We has citizens of Nigeria suppose to identify dem ourselves na
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by nku5: 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Chapter II

(...)

Tread carefully so you don't mix things up. Section 18 of the 1999 constitution refers to "Government" in a broad sense to include Federal, State and Local government.

Take a closer look

http://wenr.wes.org/2011/08/wenr-julyaugust-2011-practical-information/

"Education in Nigeria is the shared responsibility of the federal, state and local governments. The Federal Ministry of Education plays a dominant role in regulating the education sector, engaging in policy formation and ensuring quality control.

However, the federal government is more directly involved with tertiary education than it is with school education, which is largely the responsibility of state (secondary) and local (primary) governments."
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
nku5:

Tread carefully so you don't mix things up. Section 18 of the 1999 constitution refers to "Government" in a broad sense to include Federal, State and Local government.

Take a closer look

http://wenr.wes.org/2011/08/wenr-julyaugust-2011-practical-information/

"Education in Nigeria is the shared responsibility of the federal, state and local governments. The Federal Ministry of Education plays a dominant role in regulating the education sector, engaging in policy formation and ensuring quality control.

However, the federal government is more directly involved with tertiary education than it is with school education, which is largely the responsibility of state (secondary) and local (primary) governments."

Which supports my opinion that it is his damn responsibility and nothing to be praised for.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
Is there a clear bias and focus on education?

Even though it is true that the almajiri history of the North is a dent to any progressive claims from Buhari, Tambuwal etc

What about the rights of women? Why are the women from the areas where the stake holders of the so called progressive party less empowered?
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by BrokenTV: 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Which supports my opinion that it is his damn responsibility and nothing to be praised for.
My Friend go and educate yourself, you pulled up the constitution without even understanding what the constitution his saying, if it is the responsibility of Federal government to take charge of all the academic institutions in Nigeria then tell us what is the responsibility of the governor's in their various state. instead of stating the obvious fact that northern leaders have failed their people you are here talking trash. When former Governor of Anambra state and his successor where busy transforming educational sector in Anambra did they wait for Jonathan.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by donmalcolm21(m): 3:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
Tinubu: I'm a progressive but I select every leader in the SW that wants to run under APC.

Fashola: I'm a progressive but I don't care about where the poor masses reside rather I build and operate the most expensive express way in the world.

Aregbe: I'm a progressive but I support jihad and I've not paid teachers salary for the past 2months.

Ajimobi: I don't even know the meaning of progressive because I've not done anything that is worth commisioning apart from Shoprite.

Oshimole: I'm a progressive but Go and .........

Amosun: I'm a progressive but I've left the party in tatters because of favouritism and dictatorship.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 3:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You admit now that it is also a president's responsibility to ensure free education for all? GOOD!

As a matter of fact, the FG is just intervening in a function strictly under the purview of the Local Government, an arm under the full control of the state governors

. GEJ is doing his own part while those whose main responsibility is to see this almajiri kids off the streets are simply idling away.

2. The functions of a local government council shall include participation of such council in the Government of a State as respects the following matters -

the provision and maintenance of [b]primary, adult and vocational education;

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/FourthSchedule.html

carefreewannabe:

You are free to provide the net worth of the people you mentioned.

Shamefully pathetic you couldn't show us how the APC juggernauts are worth meager thousands of dollars in contrast to a non progressive GEJ.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 3:36pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So why are the progressive governors not doing their bit while the teeming army of almajiris swell their rank for selfish political propagation ?

Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 3:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
mikeansy:
Is there a clear bias and focus on education?

Even though it is true that the almajiri history of the North is a dent to any progressive claims from Buhari, Tambuwal etc

We simply had to clear that aspect so that other salient points you raised can be debated upon . . . .
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 3:43pm On Nov 16, 2014
chamboy:
Please TANIST why is it that ur Paymaster has to employ u to show us his works. We has citizens of Nigeria suppose to identify dem ourselves na

You are an embodiment of how daft the paid nairaland APC crew are. Prove me wrong by replying intelligently to the posers raised by the OP . . .
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

So why are the progressive governors not doing their bit while the teeming army of almajiris swell their rank for selfish political propagation ?

Again, this is a different topic.

The post I referred to did not include any pictures of state governors praising themselves for doing what is expected of them and their damn responsibility.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

As a matter of fact, the FG is just intervening in a function strictly under the purview of the Local Government, an arm under the full control of the state governors

. GEJ is doing his own part while those whose main responsibility is to see this almajiri kids off the streets are simply idling away.

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/FourthSchedule.html

Shamefully pathetic you couldn't show us how the APC juggernauts are worth meager thousands of dollars in contrast to a non progressive GEJ.

You people should FINALLY realize that a wrong can NEVER be justified with another.

If it could then I would kill some people and say that it is ok because some other person killed more people.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by nku5: 3:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
Its a crying shame that a huge nation like nigeria at the end of the day has to look to just PDP and APC. A real shame.

Imagine a Tambuwal type progressive who seems okay with the fact that the National Assembly's annual budget is N150 Billion. Is that much money necessary to run a NASS? Let's not even talk about the obscene allowances that the legislators earn
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

You people should FINALLY realize that a wrong can NEVER be justified with another.

If it could then I would kill some people and say that it is ok because some other person killed more people.

Moreover, Nigerians need to learn to compare their leaders with the best leaders and not with even worse leaders.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:01pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Again, this is a different topic.

The post I referred to did not include any pictures of state governors praising themselves for doing what is expected of them and their damn responsibility.

The post you referenced was a pictorial representation of the hundreds of model schools constructed for the downtrodden and forgotten almajiri kids. All you did was an attempt to water the encouraging feat down on the alter of unnecessary hate
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Moreover, Nigerians need to learn to compare their leaders with the best leaders and not with even worse leaders.

The purpose of the thread is succinctly clear, the OP is seeking clarification what the term progressive really means in the context used by the APC.

What do you have to say to his posers ?
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

The post you referenced was a pictorial representation of the hundreds of model schools constructed for the downtrodden and forgotten almajiri kids. All you did was an attempt to water the encouraging feat down on the alter of unnecessary hate

I will not praise any leader for meeting his responsibilities. In a sane country, this is something that is taken for granted.

The money he stole from the country is more than he should get for doing his damn job. He does not deserve any praise. He has already rewarded himself more than he should.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I will not praise any leader for meeting his responsibilities. In a sane country, this is something that is taken for granted.

The money he stole from the country is more than he should get for doing his damn job. He does not deserve any praise. He has already rewarded himself more than he should.

Good then see below . . .
jmaine:

The purpose of the thread is succinctly clear, the OP is seeking clarification what the term progressive really means in the context used by the APC.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

All I have to say is that there is not a SINGLE PERSON that is of high-quality to run this country but Jonathan has done enough harm so let us give someone else a chance and pray that he will seize it.

It is tragic what kind of people want to lead a country.

Bleak prospects for the future of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:15pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

All I have to say is that there is not a SINGLE PERSON that is of high-quality to run this country but Jonathan has done enough harm so let us give someone else a chance and pray that he will seize it.

It is tragic what kind of people want to lead a country.

Bleak prospects for the future of Nigeria.

So who should we give A CHANCE ? Buhari , Kwankwaso, Atiku or Tambuwal ?
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

So who should we give A CHANCE ? Buhari , Kwankwaso, Atiku or Tambuwal ?

Your choice. Definitely not Jonathan, he is a criminal.

#BringBackOurGirls
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Your choice. Definitely not Jonathan, he is a criminal.

#BringBackOurGirls

**smh** . . . . .A waste of time . . . .
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by chamboy(m): 4:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

You are an embodiment of how daft the paid nairaland APC crew are. Prove me wrong by replying intelligently to the posers raised by the OP . . .
stop twisting questions abeg
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:40pm On Nov 16, 2014
chamboy:
stop twisting questions abeg

Just imagine this ?
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by chamboy(m): 4:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
jmaine:

Just imagine this ?
answer my question sikena
Re: Nigerian Progressives - What Do They Believe In? by jmaine: 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2014
chamboy:
answer my question sikena

Is your question related to the thread ? If yes, please let us begin. Spill it out.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Reading A Speech In London An Extraordinary Achievement ? / Corruption INC. The President The Thief And His Wife. Just One Picture. / Niger Delta Avengers Spoils Another Gas Pipeline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.