Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,478 members, 7,958,442 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:28 PM

How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb (5900 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Revive The Habit Of Self-sufficiency- For Every Nigerian Woman/girl / How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by mozele(m): 12:38am On Jan 15, 2015
Lacomus:
Use bitter leaf or Cameron pepper to do the magic , thank me lera
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by mozele(m): 12:39am On Jan 15, 2015
Lacomus:
Use bitter leaf or Cameron pepper to do the magic , thank me lera

O di Egwu!
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 9:20am On Jan 15, 2015
After three months of using the plaster, our second child still sucks his thumb. I must confess that the theory I postulated in the OP will not work for all children. It worked for our first child but failed on the second.

I might consider using the bitter leaf option. But this thumb sucking must stop...lol.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by KanwuliaJara: 11:05am On Jan 15, 2015
You can't stop it!
A child will stop by himself or herself.
If it embarrasses you, YOU ARE A CONTROL FREAK. . . OR YOU HAVE ISSUES YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH!!!! kiss

My parents tried hard to stop me. . .I DID NOT, until I got to secondary school!
I STOPPED BY MYSELF!!!!! cool

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 11:25am On Jan 15, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
You can't stop it!
A child will stop by himself or herself.
If it embarrasses you, YOU ARE A CONTROL FREAK. . . OR YOU HAVE ISSUES YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH!!!! kiss

My parents tried hard to stop me. . .I DID NOT, until I got to secondary school!
I STOPPED BY MYSELF!!!!! cool

This is not a good testimony. May God not allow my pikin suck finger enter Sec School.

I do not believe this is control. Children are to be taught, trained and if need be, disciplined. When they become adults, it should be assumed that all that the parents did for them will make them a well rounded individual to fit society. After they are grown and you as a parent still do these things, that is what control is.

Now you stopped sucking in Sec Sch. What if someone else chooses not to. So that as MD of a bank he steals into the toilet to suck his thumb... God forbid.

2 Likes

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by KanwuliaJara: 11:34am On Jan 15, 2015
WinsomeX:

This is not a good testimony. May God not allow my pikin suck finger enter Sec School.

I do not believe this is control. Children are to be taught, trained and if need be, disciplined. When they become adults, it should be assumed that all that the parents did for them will make them a well rounded individual to fit society. After they are grown and you as a parent still do these things, that is what control is.

Now you stopped sucking in Sec Sch. What if someone else chooses not to. So that as MD of a bank he steals into the toilet to suck his thumb... God forbid.

Please, go and take some courses in child psychology.
They are free online.
Life is not all about YOU!
Help yourself first! kiss

*this is your one post*

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 2:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

They are free online.

*this is your one post*

And you that have taken the courses ended up sucking your thumb till Sec School. When your children come, I hope they won't suck theirs till University?!

Thank you for the advice but "No thanks".

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by bluedaze(f): 4:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

They are free online.

*this is your one post*
please help me tell them. imagine someone opening his mouth to say he wants his child to "fit" to society. and those suggesting torture for a child just because "something" is not acceptable to society. May these parents grow a brain someday. Tufiakwa!
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by KanwuliaJara: 4:34pm On Jan 15, 2015
bluedaze:

please help me tell them. imagine someone opening his mouth to say he wants his child to "fit" to society. and those suggesting torture for a child just because "something" is not acceptable to society. May these parents grow a brain someday. Tufiakwa!

Hmmm!
Amazing when some parents transfer their 'insecurities' to their children!
Really pathetic! grin
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by pamcode(m): 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
SAMBARRY:
she's learning fast. Thumb sacking sef distorts the teeth and that's why you see some adults that their teeth will push out like kangaroo own
Lwkmd this woman hen which one be 'like kangaroo own' have you seen a kangaroo's teeth b4
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Soknown: 10:00am On Jan 16, 2015
WinsomeX:

That's true. A pacifier.

But my wife has a thing against it. She claims it causes the front tooth to protrude.

How true is it?
Totally untrue, most pacifiers are very soft just like teethers, some are made just like the mothers' nip.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Soknown: 10:54am On Jan 16, 2015
I do have a funny but real history with this topic. To start with not all children suck thumb, some suck other fingers, a finger or two fingers at a time. My little sista ( though late now, God bless her soul) started thumb sucking in our home when she was young, she sucked a thumb, the next sibling to her suck two fingers, the next younger sibling to him also suck two fingers and the last girl sucked left thumb. My wife's older sister sucked till secondary school, my niece sucks her thumb up till now (7 years +). My lil daughter also sucks.
Starting with my lil sista, we did everything, pepper, iodine, bitter leave, plaster, choroquine and other abusive measures that I should not type, NONE worked. She stopped when she wanted to stop in secondary school, the other siblings also stopped when they were older and realized the shame in the practice, but none of them have bad dentition.
When I had my second child, one woman delivered almost the same time with my wife but she had some issues so she couldn't feed the baby immediately, just like one hour after delivery we started hearing pa pa pa from the baby's cot. To our amazement the baby has started sucking his finger. We quickly called the nurses to hasten up with the mother so that she could feed the baby. My child, despite being fed immediately after birth also showed some signs of putting her finger into her mouth. Whenever she wants to sleep she sucks her thumb, if she put the right one and you remove it, she will not cry she will just put the left one.
When we got home, we started wearing gloves for her before bed but by the time she wakes up to feed the gloves will be wet, which means she sucked it even with the gloves, as she gets older like a month, she already knows how to remove the gloves with her mouth. so we started using the pacifiers but she doesn't tolerate that at all, she pushes it out with her tongue even when she is sleeping. So right now I am just watching, after all she does it only during bed time. I am open to any humane measure that I can still apply.
With all these history I have come to the conclusion that no matter what you do SOME children would suck until when they are older and realize the shame in it. I also realize that while some children suck because of hunger some use it as a pacifier/comfort while some use it as a teether especially when the teeth are coming out. Please we should not maltreat or abuse our children because of this habit, sometimes it is the only way they communicate with the world, sometimes it is a means of self-awareness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 3:16pm On Jan 16, 2015
^^^ Thank you so much for your contribution. I appreciate your position.

I find it funny that some thought I was trying to stop my child sucking because it was bringing shame my way or because I was insecure or something. It is very simple: the older child sucked her thumb, we applied a measure, she stopped. The same measure is not working for the younger. Why should a child suck till Sec School when he or she can be trained to stop earlier? What else is the job of parents than to train a child?

Of course if we do what we can do within lawful limits and the child doesn't stop, we sure cannot kill them. We just wait. If we all accept that sucking thumbs is socially shameful, why not rid a child of such a reproach earlier.

"Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is grown he will not depart from it."; "A child Left to himself will bring reproach to his parent" - is what my holy book says and that's the way I hope to raise my children. If you wish to raise yours reading internet books, good luck to you. Just stay away from the ones that teaches them or allows them the liberty of becoming gays, for example.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by SAMBARRY: 4:46pm On Jan 16, 2015
pamcode:
Lwkmd this woman hen which one be 'like kangaroo own' have you seen a kangaroo's teeth b4
yes ke cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It"Inbreeding"for Two Brothers To Have Sex With The Same Girl Simultaneously? / SEX Swingers Club Registration / Never Accept S*x After Marriage, I Did And I Am Regretting Now–married Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.