Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,866 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners (13327 Views)

Beware Of Quacks Called 'auxiliary Nurses' / Medical Council Prosecutes 10 Fake Doctors / Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2014
sydneyboss:
A small boy named
Akpos lived in a village
in Warri,
Nigeria. None of his
classmates liked him
because of
his
stupidity, especially his
teacher, who was
always
yelling at him, "You are
driving me crazy
Akpos!"
One day Akpos' mother
came to the school to
check on
how he was doing. The
teacher told his mother
honestly, that her son
is simply a disaster,
getting very
low marks and had
never seen such a
dumb boy in her
entire teaching career!
The mother was
shocked at the
feedback, withdrew
her son from the school
and even moved to
another
town! 25 years later,
the teacher was
diagnosed with an
incurable heart disease.
All the doctors strongly
advised her to have an
open heart operation,
which
only one surgeon could
perform. Left with no
other
options, the teacher
decided to have the
operation,
which was successful.
When she opened her
eyes after
the surgery, she saw
a handsome doctor
smiling down at her!
She wanted to
thank him, but could
not talk. Her face
started to turn
blue, she raised her
hand, trying to tell him
something
but eventually died!
The doctor was
shocked and was trying
to work out
what went wrong.
When he turned around,
he saw our
friend Akpos, working
as a cleaner in the clinic,
who
had unplugged the
oxygen equipment to
connect his
phone charger!
Don't tell me you
thought that Akpos
became a doctor?....lol.
Lol... I actually tot Akpos became a Dr

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by ade19: 10:45am On Nov 19, 2014
ok noted
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by pepelini: 10:54am On Nov 19, 2014
That is the problem with our leadership. Solving a problem has been their biggest challenge. Why rejoice persecuting them?.
Instead of harnessing their will, "illegitimate" skills and experience. Now I am not in support of them practicing without a license, but looking outside the box, most of them have helped lives and few destroy some.
Now let's be logical, you call them 'quacks', and ya'll say they shouldn't be patronized. That's hypocritical. You use quacks to fix your cars, electrical appliances in your house, etc. and you are comfortable. What if your car fail and you have an accident or the joined wires set your house ablazed... It's all dangerous.
Most of this quacks are trained by legit professionals. my solution would be; don't rush to persecute them if they have not taken Any life yet, government should put them back to school, sponsor most of them to study in top medical schools on bonds, even if its partial scholarship...( they have will and skills). Maximize their potentials, and inject them back into the society well trained. I would rather have better doctors from the
After studies.
True story:
I have a relative, he has always wanted to be a doctor. He couldn't get admission into the school of his choice because his jamb score was a little short for merit non-indigenes but higher than indigenes candidates. This happened twice. He then resigned to work as an auxiliary nurse for his uncle who is a medical doctor in his medical center. After three years he became so good that he could sit in for him. And over ten years, he has gotten his own place, saved so many lives which I have personally witnessed, no life has been lost in his hand, he has been our family doctor, all the new born baBies in the family was administered by him. TWO GRADUATE MEDICAL DOCTORS had worked in his place for a year each as apprentice after graduation and learnt a lot. He stopped by the road twice and helped a hit and run victim, saved her life. Delivered so many babies. Etc. what is beyond him, he refers to Teaching hospitals.
Now he is a top assistant nurse in Canada after his place was closed down by our joyous govt official.
So tell me, what could be done better?. This quacks are not stupid people, an average Nigerian is intelligent and has will and purpose for which the goverment should rather tap into.
They cracked them down, yet owe the legit ones their salaries, and also don't pay the lecturers in school that teaches the ones still studying.
Most of the un-baked and ill trained doctors from our schools have caused more professional medical problems to people than quacks. My best friend nearly lost his leg at "orthopedic hospital In Lagos " after he had light weight braces inserted in his bones and was infected after surgery (he was on expensive special anitobiotic pills for several months yet he could step his feet on the ground for 10months),He had to go to Ghana to make amend from professionals.

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by deletrue: 11:19am On Nov 19, 2014
Am very sure that GEJ and his government will never take these groups like NMA, this and that any serious. We are simply looking forward to the general elections and thereafter, I mean after the swearing in ceremony, whether you be NNPC, you be NMA, you be that, all of these rubbish associations, be NUPENG, PENGASAN any group that is seen as hindrence to government calll association will be and must be privatised. So, they can continue to catch each order in difference ways. They can find faults, give different names. In fact, they can fabricate names, issues etc as APC is doing. We do not give any damn. Immediately after 2015, all bloody groups will no longer exist. We will privatise all. Non sense.
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by SegunFlames(m): 11:28am On Nov 19, 2014
sydneyboss:
A small boy named
Akpos lived in a village
in Warri,
Nigeria. None of his
classmates liked him
because of
his
stupidity, especially his
teacher, who was
always
yelling at him, "You are
driving me crazy
Akpos!"
One day Akpos' mother
came to the school to
check on
how he was doing. The
teacher told his mother
honestly, that her son
is simply a disaster,
getting very
low marks and had
never seen such a
dumb boy in her
entire teaching career!
The mother was
shocked at the
feedback, withdrew
her son from the school
and even moved to
another
town! 25 years later,
the teacher was
diagnosed with an
incurable heart disease.
All the doctors strongly
advised her to have an
open heart operation,
which
only one surgeon could
perform. Left with no
other
options, the teacher
decided to have the
operation,
which was successful.
When she opened her
eyes after
the surgery, she saw
a handsome doctor
smiling down at her!
She wanted to
thank him, but could
not talk. Her face
started to turn
blue, she raised her
hand, trying to tell him
something
but eventually died!
The doctor was
shocked and was trying
to work out
what went wrong.
When he turned around,
he saw our
friend Akpos, working
as a cleaner in the clinic,
who
had unplugged the
oxygen equipment to
connect his
phone charger!
Don't tell me you
thought that Akpos
became a doctor?....lol.

hahahahaa

you got me there grin

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by ruffhandu: 11:32am On Nov 19, 2014
I thought they would have first stopped doctors from reneging on their oaths of not owning private hospitals while working for the government at the same time, gross!.
Many of them are very greedy and do not regard human life as much as they do money. On that, you have to bribe your way through at some government hospitals, just for them to do their work. I wonder what professionalism is all about.
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by kazmanbanjoko(m): 11:44am On Nov 19, 2014
Meaning that!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by ALKARULEZ615(m): 12:41pm On Nov 19, 2014
yungest:
FP tinz.....
baba
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 19, 2014
Ishilove:
The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) said efforts to rid Nigeria of quackery were yielding positive results as the council has arrested more than 30 quack doctors and those practising illegally, and also facilitated the conviction of 14 of them at the courts within four years of its creation.

This was disclosed on Tuesday in Abuja during the 51st anniversary of the council by the Registrar of the MDCN, Dr. Abdulmunin Ibrahim, stating that in the area of discipline of practitioners, the council has investigated over 1,550 complaints, where 122 practitioners had been sanctioned so far.

Ibrahim also disclosed that the number of training institutions in the country accredited by the council has increased from one, which was University College Hospital, to 31 in the country within the last 50 years.

“The council has successfully introduced indexing of medical students in medical schools to ensure that training institutions keep to their allotted admission quotas thereby ensuring that standard is maintained.”

He explained that while the council has instituted and enforced the continuing professional development programme, since 2011, the medical and dental practitioners registered presently is over 70,000, from a little over 1,000 in 1963.

Chairman of the Governing Board of the Council, Prof Jonathan Azubuike, appealed to the federal government to allow the council carry out its functions without frequent disruptions.

He explained that if the council was given the enabling support and equal opportunities, the celebration should have taken place in 2013 “but in that year, there was no council in existence and that explained the 50 plus one.

“In the first 25 years of our existence (1963-1988), our existence was never tampered with. In the second phase of our existence, 1988-2013, the MDCN was allowed to do the job, for which it was statutorily created for only 15 years.”

Azubuike contended that for the remaining 10 years, the council did not exist as it was dissolved out of existence.

He said “the regulatory functions we were supposed to carry out, setting standards for the training of medical and dental undergraduates in the universities as well as regulating the practices of the medical and dental professions in Nigeria, could not be done during these periods the council was in limbo.

“Our plea remains the same, and it is simple, we should be allowed to do the job assigned to us, without frequent disruptive dissolution.”

SOURCE:http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/medical-council-arrests-over-30-quacks-sanctions-122-practitioners/194493/

It is an irony that the same persons trying to weed the medical system are still the same persons training quack nurses to be exploited in their private hospitals for the singular facts that they want to cut cost of paying qualified nurses. I am saying this cos that was how one of my classmates in secondary became a quack nurse under the 'tutelage' of a medical doctor in our vicinity. She now works as a 'qualified quack nurse' in his hospital after training in the same place. Jokers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Gofundme Account For Emmanuel Oyediran, A Beggar With Intestine Outside / Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement / Where Can One Find Or Buy Amino 3000 Here In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.