Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - (3002 Views)

Nigerian Energy Firm Signs Deal To Build Oil Storage Hub In Equatorial Guinea / Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! / Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2014
A state-owned Chinese company has signed a $12 billion agreement to build a railway along Nigeria’s coast that it billed as China’s single largest overseas contract, state media said Thursday.
China Railway Construction Corp. Ltd. (CRCC) signed the official construction contract with the Nigerian government on Wednesday in Abuja, the Xinhua news agency said.
The Nigerian railway will stretch for 1,402 kilometres (871 miles) along the coast, linking Lagos, the financial capital of Africa’s largest economy and leading oil producer, and Calabar in the east, according to the report.
The $11.97 billion deal marks China’s largest single overseas contract project so far, it said, citing CRCC.
The news came two weeks after Mexico cancelled a $3.75 billion bullet train deal only days after it was signed with a Chinese-led consortium headed by CRCC — the sole bidder — reportedly due to concerns about transparency.
CRCC chairman Meng Fengchao said the Nigeria project will adopt Chinese technological standards and lead to $4 billion-worth of Chinese exports of construction machinery, trains, steel products and other equipment, Xinhua said.
It will create up to 200,000 local jobs during the construction and a further 30,000 positions once the line is operational, he said.
“It is a mutually beneficial project,” Meng was quoted by Xinhua as saying.
Trains will travel at a maximum speed of 120 kilometres per hour on the link, the report added.
China has dramatically stepped up its presence on the African continent in recent decades as it seeks more resources and new markets for its economy.
Trade between China and Nigeria totalled $13.6 billion last year.
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang promised more investment and more Chinese technical expertise during a visit earlier this year.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/china-firm-signs-12-bn-deal-build-nigerian-railway/#sthash.9TsbB3AT.dpuf
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 20, 2014
So what is the route of the railway
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by santuse: 5:17pm On Nov 20, 2014
nice move, if it will be accomplished
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by brownlord: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
Too many project already.

Good development if true, and hope not like the news of 40 helo from russia
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Francis5: 5:20pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

Lagos to Ogun, Ondo, Edo, Delta, Rivers (and possibly Balyelsa), Abia, Akwa Ibom and Cross River
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

This map might help

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Francis5: 5:24pm On Nov 20, 2014
atlwireles:

This map might help

It should go as close to the ocean as possible (like a few 10s of kilometers to it) so that we can harness that feature more.

1 Like

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2014

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2014
Francis5:

It should go as close to the ocean as possible (like a few 10s of kilometers to it) so that we can harness that feature more.

Will cost too much, the coastal areas are mainly swampland.

2 Likes

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by stinggy(m): 5:32pm On Nov 20, 2014
...And this is so cool cool
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 20, 2014
atlwireles:

This map might help
So southeast is not covered. When is the Lagos-Benin-Onitsha railway going to take off
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Trailblazer1(m): 5:43pm On Nov 20, 2014
Good move.

My American dream is finally becoming a reality. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

#Oneguylikethat Till 2019

1 Like

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

So southeast is not covered
I was about asking same question. Thank God a saTANist asked what's on my mind.

Its very annoying and shameful that there's no single meaningful federal government project coming from the southeast. Not even one!

The second niger bridge is still a mirage.
The ethnic groups who do not scream GEJ till 2019 gets the largest chunk of federal projects coming their way.

SHAME on our southeast leaders!!

1 Like

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 5:44pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

So southeast is not covered
This is the full design

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by arresa: 5:46pm On Nov 20, 2014
Still, no money or attention for 2nd NB and the region won't even smell this rail system. Is this region allergic to progress and development per GEJ....
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 20, 2014
berem:
I was about asking same question. Thank God a saTANist asked what's on my mind.

Its very annoying and shameful that there's no single meaningful federal government project coming from the southeast. Not even one!

The second niger bridge is still a mirage.

SHAME on our southeast leaders!!
Go and die. Which one did Buhari build when he was PTF head

7 Likes

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

Mumu,what is Buhari's own in this matter?
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 20, 2014
arresa:
Still, no money or attention for 2nd NB and the region won't even smell this rail system. Is this region allergic to progress and development per GEJ....
Cry me a river. Second Niger bridge is on course

2 Likes

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

grin

1 Like

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 5:52pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

So southeast is not covered. When is the Lagos-Benin-Onitsha railway going to take off

Some parts of benin-Onitsha project, is already incorporated into the 2nd Niger bridge design. The Coastal route incorporates the rest.
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

Cry me a river. Second Niger bridge is on course
on course indeed! Where are the pictures?
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Trailblazer1(m): 5:55pm On Nov 20, 2014
I hope the rails and trains won't be the sloppy-sluggish-rickety-crawling types I see at Oshodi? If it is, then they better use the money to buy us bicycles.

But if the deal is for a speed train, like the ones that ply the American subways then we are actually moving FORWARD.

I can't wait to ride in it.
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 5:56pm On Nov 20, 2014
[s]
Trailblazer1:
I hope the rails and trains won't be the sloppy-sluggish-rickety-crawling types I see at Oshodi? If it is, then they better use the money to buy us bicycles.

But if the deal is for a speed train, like the ones that ply the American subways then we are actually moving FORWARD.

I can't wait to ride in it.

[/s]
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Amanwulu1(m): 5:59pm On Nov 20, 2014
Watching and wishing to b among those who make things to happen and not those who abuse themselves over what is happening.
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by IGBOSON1: 6:00pm On Nov 20, 2014
atlwireles:

This is the full design

Nice try altwireles!.....But this one you've just posted is not the coastal railway route in question!
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Trailblazer1(m): 6:02pm On Nov 20, 2014
atlwireles:
[s][/s]

What's the meaning of that?

Infact I cancel you back
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Francis5: 6:04pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

Abia is not South East again?
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by cjrane: 6:10pm On Nov 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian:

If you must know, it passes only thru 2 of the 3 southern regions. It starts from the SW and passes via Benin to Warri and then from PH to Calabar to clearly avoid the SE again!

1 Like

Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Francis5: 6:19pm On Nov 20, 2014
cjrane:

If you must know, it passes only thru 2 of the 3 southern regions. It starts from the SW and passes via Benin to Warri and then from PH to Calabar to clearly avoid the SE again!

It passes through Abia. Educate yourself.

An agreement for CCECC to plan the railway was signed in 2010. The route would run around 650 km across the country from Calabar in the east to Aba, Port Harcourt, Warri, Benin City and Lagos in the west. The standard gauge alignment totalling 1 385 track-km would pass through 10 states, have 22 stations and be designed for speeds of 120 km/h.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/infrastructure/single-view/view/nigerian-coastal-railway-framework-agreement-signed.html

Also,

http://www.cpcs.ca/en/projects/feasibility-studies-new-standard-gauge-coastal-rail-line/
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by Frankenstein: 6:27pm On Nov 20, 2014
atlwireles:

This is the full design
70% of these lines will be abandoned or go uncompleted before GEJ leaves office in 2019.
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 6:33pm On Nov 20, 2014
Frankenstein:
70% of these lines will be abandoned or go uncompleted before GEJ leaves office in 2019.

ok
Re: China Firm Signs $12 Bn Deal To Build Nigerian Railway - by atlwireles: 6:34pm On Nov 20, 2014
IGBOSON1:

Nice try altwireles!.....But this one you've just posted is not the coastal railway route in question!

1385 track-km and $13B is more than the coastal route. That's my guess.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP What Have We Done To Thee: Cry From People Of Ihuopkara Nkanu East Enugu Sta / 20 Oil Blocks Owners That Would Shock You. / Photos Of Buhari And His Team In A Jet As They Head To Kaduna For A Rally Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.