Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,364 members, 7,826,428 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others (21818 Views)

A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / How Do I Graduate With 2'1 When I Have A 3.0 Gpa In 300L / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Olamyyde(m): 5:35pm On Nov 24, 2014
Kikyben2:

Yes U can! I had a cgpa of 3.9 in my 200L, I still graduated with a first class....though I not only worked hard, I worked smart.

I set goals for myself each semester, at a point I considered a B as a failure in any course. I wouldn't sound like it was easy....but if I could achieve it, I believe you can do even much better.
Whoa! Very inspiring. You remind me of one 1st class student who said 'anything less than A' is failure. Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Olamyyde(m): 5:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
literarymathy:

It's not late at all. You are still fresh in the system. The key to making a First is to think unusually and do things that your course mates would not do. It attracts attention to you. Read wide and beyond the course range and always quote prominent scholars in your exams. Always try to teach your lecturer through your scripts and seminar presentations. They will gain an admiration for you. Don't limit yourself in any way. Break the bounds. If others are doing it, DON'T. Go BEYOUND. It worked for me. It will work for you.

N. B. Avoid late night readings. It's damaging to the brain and only enhances short term memory. It's bad on the long run. Always EAT well.
Thanks for great advice sir. About the late night reading, i noticed it didn't help me at all in my 100l 1st semester. Until i read a book explaining short term and long term memory, i was always confused on why some people retain information longer than others.
Short term memory = input + output
Long term memory = input + output + review

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Packup(m): 5:44pm On Nov 24, 2014
I just gained admission to study GEography in d facaulty of social science university of ibadan.......plsss i want to start preparing,wat books or site is good plssss........

Lol and I graduated with a 2.2���

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by joshbouy(m): 6:02pm On Nov 24, 2014
I av been reading all posts on this topic. and I got to admit it's really motivating, Am still an undergraduate. I just wanna chip in some things
1. it's never too late: my 100level in school wasn't what I expected cause upon How I read and prepared for my exams I never passed them exceptionally, I failed my two core physics courses (D & E) But had B's and C's in my other courses. same also for my second semester. low point was when I had a E in a 4unit load course. Although the result was manipulated,the lecturer wanted we students to block the course Which some did and got A's. at the end of the session my Gp was 2.5, I was disorganized and couldn't tell my parents my result cause it was disappointing. I managed to talk to some elder ones in school who adviced that it wasn't too late.
two hundred level came, I had to put my past behind me and made a promise to myself to aim higher that session. glory to God my first semester was kinda great, I had a 4.6 . currently writing my second semester exams and by God's grace my result is only gonna get better.
if mathematically I can still make a first class, then with God Am gonna make it. just to make myself and my family proud.
bottom line is never give up, things may not look good right now But just believe there are better days ahead, be dedicated to your studies, God. have a reasonable social life, hang out with people who will impact positively into your life, there is bound to be ups and down, you just have to be prepared for them.
all the best to all striving undergraduates, baba God is involved, no lele.

11 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by thelastgenius: 6:04pm On Nov 24, 2014
Kikyben2:

Yes U can! I had a cgpa of 3.9 in my 200L, I still graduated with a first class....though I not only worked hard, I worked smart.

I set goals for myself each semester, at a point I considered a B as a failure in any course. I wouldn't sound like it was easy....but if I could achieve it, I believe you can do even much better.

Woww. Big Motivation for me
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 24, 2014
Packup:
I just gained admission to study GEography in d facaulty of social science university of ibadan.......plsss i want to start preparing,wat books or site is good plssss........

First of all, visit and befriend the library beyond all odds. That is the first secret. Next visit http://ocw.mit.edu for open coursework on your field. Visit http://nou.edu.ng and visit the open courseware section. You can also make friends with older students and borrow their materials to photocopy. You can also visit http://books.google.com and search for geography books there. Just keep the faith and do your best. Set your aim and visualise it until it becomes a part of you. #Semper Fi

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by oluwatobi01(m): 6:49pm On Nov 24, 2014
,[quote author=factorial1 post=28292911]Well, as an undergraduate… I would like to share some of my practical lessons here with us.
The first of all is to have passion/zeal for the course you are studying, anything aside that has started contributing to the failure of the student. Believe you me, if you have passion for what you do, you will try as much as possible to put in your very best which will lead to academic excellence.
Another important thing is for a student to know the kind of friends he/she associates him/herself with. That goes a long way in attaining your goal. I for example, in my first year in the University, God really helped me to associate myself with focused and determined students like myself. However, I wouldn’t say it was a bit late before we knew one another (probably in second semester). We assigned some of the days in the week for group discussion in which every individual has been given a particular course to be handling (tentatively though, cause we rotate it). For me, I don’t attend tutorials… it’s important to know yourself than to be following crowd. Three of us, when we finished our second semester exams (100L), went to our admission officer to check our first semester results because it hasn’t been pasted then. Seeing our first semester results… two (mine included) of which was very close to First Class, calls for challenging ourselves. Though, we were able to attain such fit due to God factor and seriousness… Heaven, they say, helps those who helps themselves. We determined that, come next session(200L), 5 dot(i.e 5.0 GPA) is the smallest of what God can do for us, and we’ve been planni,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bro,I love ur comment..Do u sch @AAUA?....

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Moblord(m): 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
literarymathy:
N. B. Avoid late night readings. It's damaging to the brain and only enhances short term memory. It's bad on the long run. Always EAT well.
What's the best time to read. please advice. and how many hours should one spend reading in a day?
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2014
Moblord:
What's the best time to read. please advice. and how many hours should one spend reading in a day?
I suggest that you read early in the morning or anytime before 12 at night. That's when the brain is really active to store for long term. You can also read during the day but always try to recall what you read before you sleep and/or when you wake. That's how you know you've assimilated it. As for the duration of reading, that depends on your body. But the average hours per day should be 5hours. It could be less or more and even spaced out but do not do anything that your brain cannot carry. The true key to academic success is in knowing yourself. Study yourself, your brain, your rate of assimilation and your stamina and work with it. Some people learn fast, others learn slow. Your reading time depends on how fast you learn. But always try to recall what you read each night before sleep or at dawn when you wake.

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by yorex2011: 7:44pm On Nov 24, 2014
Olamyyde:

wow bro...i'm studying the same course. Can i still amke a 1st class with a cgpa of 3.9 in 100l cry

Depending on the way ur sch spreads the percentage weights.. Yes you can
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by oluwatobi01(m): 7:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
[quote author=Doubleoo post=28306176]

I particular i had some challenges and some of them were calculations.

I had challenges in...

Physics 101 and 102,
Math 101 and 104. During my time math 104 was calculus in my school, and i wasn't thought in secondary. So it was do or die.

Physical chemistry was also challenging when we got to Herbert Einstein derivations.
Analytical chemistry 1 and 2 were hot. Only biochemistry, chemistry, industrial chemistry, and geology students took it then.

I didn't have much problems in biochemistry courses, but some were really threatening.
BCH 301, 303, 309, 311, 313, 302, 304, 306, 310 were the hottest in year three.

From year three we speak biochemically. What i mean by that is all requirements were majorly structures (also known as biochemical pathways).

BCH 401, 411, 402, 410 and 412 were the major problems in my final year.
All the courses i listed were majorly pathways.

They are not that difficult if you have interest in structures. We draw structures so much (very much) and all medical students respect biochemistry for that.
Remember we took courses in microbiology and biology. Those courses are not strong because biochemistry would have get you more advance than what they entails.
Before i forget, bio-statistics is a difficult course.
The course have topics like PROBABILITY, ANOVA, POISON DISTRIBUTION, CORRELATION, PERCENTAGE CUMULATIVE HISTOGRAM, ETC. The worst of it is time factor in the examination hall.

So, learn to manage your time and how to quickly grab the idea of whatever they request from you.

Good Luck!

Bro,'m an underguaduate of d said course @AAUA..Wat u type above,rilly 'll help me alot..Tanx n God bless u..Datz remind me,pls change ur dp,it doesn't speak well of u,cheers....

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by hardbody: 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
literarymathy:

If you fall into the category, all you need do is to tell us a story smiley
The story is of how you did it, the trying moments, the bad moments, the good ones, how life has been after you gained it, your life then in school, etc etc. As much as you can and tell us the story with the aim to inspire.

Bros if students follow my stride they may never graduate. I made my 2.1 coming to class from parties, coming to write tests after sailing the seas, riding the waves and shooting the rapids. I went to the library only once and spent the time admiring babes. I pretended to read in my room but it was always a hot bed of gists. When i was done, i made my 2.1 and walked away.

Please do not try the above in your uni except you are as restless as i was and still am

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Moblord(m): 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2014
literarymathy:

I suggest that you read early in the morning or anytime before 12 at night. That's when the brain is really active to store for long term. You can also read during the day but always try to recall what you read before you sleep and/or when you wake. That's how you know you've assimilated it. As for the duration of reading, that depends on your body. But the average hours per day should be 5hours. It could be less or more and even spaced out but do not do anything that your brain cannot carry. The true key to academic success is in knowing yourself. Study yourself, your brain, your rate of assimilation and your stamina and work with it. Some people learn fast, others learn slow. Your reading time depends on how fast you learn. But always try to recall what you read each night before sleep or at dawn when you wake.
Thank you
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Microtee(m): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
Hi,Pls how possible is crossing to medicine after finishing my microbiology?
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by iCool(m): 10:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
I studied mech engineering. Prior to getting admission, I had severally covered the O-level maths and physics textbooks indepthly - It helped aloooot during my EARLY undergraduate days where i put in too little effort.

Faced a major problem of not having accommodation in 1st yr, shared rooms with 3 different friends - it was a disaster shocked, my whole academic life was in disarray. cgpa was 3.4 out of 5. I knew I could do better.

2nd year was better off; I hit a 3.95 in the first semester, was diagnosed of appendicitis in the second semester 2 weeks before the exams shocked and placed on a strong painkiller - my brain could hardly retain anything i read - LUCKILY I didn't fail a course, g.p was 3.09, I still wonder how I survived that semester academically. grin

Re-strategised in 3rd year, ensured I got A's in all 3-unit courses. The workload was hell, sacrificed the 2-unit courses (MY strategy for survival), struck 4.05 in the second semester. Was doing an average of 4hours of reading daily from the first day of the session, had reading partners and we motivated one another and exchanged ideas. More of an introvert so social life was kept in check naturally. wink

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by iCool(m): 10:45pm On Nov 24, 2014
Popsman got sick severally during my 1st semester 4th year, the effect was very visible in my result - 2.72 out of 5 cry. Lost him on the day I headed back home after the end of the semester and juggled burial plans with finding I.T placement (this was no easy task) sad, that toughened me up!

Finally got a placement with a multinational coy when I had lost all hopes cheesy. Two people were taken out of a multitude that wrote the entrance test (over 200 people wrote on the day I did and I heard there were other test days). Passed the interviews and resumed - that confirmed I still had "It" in me. Resumed for my finals with a burning desire to excel against all odds.

I.T defence was a walk over, the company name carry weight, I marveled the lecturers and my suit na 1 million! cool Got a 5.0

Final year was a do-or-die, cgpa before I.T defence was around 3.5/3.6, I no wan hear stories so I went berserk! I aligned with the ruling party in my dept grin, and also started doing between 8-10hours per day reading angry. I broke it down this way, 1hr30mins early morning (meditation on the previous days reading), 2-3hrs noon, 2-3hrs evening, 2-3hrs night (resting and eating properly in between) and always ensured I slept all night. Had my best results ever kiss - 4.7 & 5.0 if I can remember clearly.

I sealed a Neat 2.1 with Oluwa by my side.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 11:17pm On Nov 24, 2014
Following like mad... first year, accounting. uniosun

Nice thread, great comments!!!

#TeamFirstClass.

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by factorial1(m): 12:08am On Nov 25, 2014
oluwatobi01:
Bro, I love your comment... do you school @AAUA?
No... I school in France.

Oh... did I said France?? No, I mean FUTA.
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 25, 2014
Chiscomax:

wow, and you were still able to make the 2'1 you aspire for. i am still an udergraduate and these tips will really be helpful to me. thanks alot man.

i school in futo, mechanical engineering. and you? where did you finish from and course?
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 25, 2014
Chiscomax:

wow, and you were still able to make the 2'1 you aspire for. i am still an udergraduate and these tips will really be helpful to me. thanks alot man.

i school in futo, mechanical engineering. and you? where did you finish from and course?

foundamental boo boo.....
am a futo student... final year..... am on a 2-1 second class upper but will do my best to improve it...
make the libuary your best friend..... '
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 25, 2014
xmillion:
thanks a lot for your contributions, am a first class aspirant but my room mate is dull and unserious pls what should I do? cos his non chalant altitude towards academics is really affecting me

pls run away from him/her....
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 25, 2014
Enjoying numerous scholarships was a source of alternative fund and did spur me on in my academics. This is why i wrote a book on the subject. It is for free.

Funding is critical to your success in the course of your academic life. There is a free eBook on undergraduate scholarships and essay contests.

It will be beneficial to you as most scholarships are mostly won in 100 and 200 level.

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by APRIDE(m): 10:30am On Nov 25, 2014
I made a very good 2'1 (Economics) at Delsu, perhaps I should have done better. Don't just stop at studying your books, study your lecturers as well and know what they want. Trust me, undergraduate courses, even masters degree courses are way easier than professional courses where you are meant to read beyond scheme. My principle and secret: If i can recite a story that i was told, why can't i present what i have learnt at the expense of my parents' financial comfort knowing it will do me a lot of good in the long run.

We all have the same IQ level, forget what science says about its diversity. What we don't have in parity is our ways of thinking and that's the key. Love you all.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Chiscomax(m): 12:22pm On Nov 25, 2014
Ezechinwa:

foundamental boo boo.....
am a futo student... final year..... am on a 2-1 second class upper but will do my best to improve it...
make the libuary your best friend..... '

i see u my fellow futoite... Which department?
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by deewon56: 1:07pm On Nov 25, 2014
thank GOD 4 ME STUMBLE TO DS TREAD..i knw better days r ahead ..i wil make it by GOD GRACE#HEART MOTIVATED

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Olarewajub: 2:54pm On Nov 25, 2014
Nice thread. I'm in need of a site with good materials on Anatomy.
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by trenlog: 6:24pm On Nov 25, 2014
Currently a semifinalist at UI, I studied hard in my first year but my result was not so good, in my second year I realized that my reading habit while I was in 100l is a blessing coz I When I was in 200l I read less due to the fact that I understand quickly, I had 5.1 in 100l I rose by 0.1 in my 200l 5.2, When the first semester result for 300l was released I moved up by 0.4, my GP is now 5.6, but by the Grace of God I want to graduate with first class and am working toward it.

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 25, 2014
Chiscomax:

i see u my fellow futoite... Which department?

computer sci...
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Chiscomax(m): 10:27pm On Nov 25, 2014
Ezechinwa:

computer sci...

mech

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

100-level Student To Die By Hanging In Benue / Students Of NDU Complain Over Dirty Water Supplied To Hostels (Pics& Video) / Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.