Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others (21812 Views)

A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / How Do I Graduate With 2'1 When I Have A 3.0 Gpa In 300L / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 31, 2014
khattab008:
^^^
I think read Electrical and Electronic Engineering(EEE).

@Literatymathy.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought it was the abbreviations of a uuniversity.
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Ema2nty: 9:47pm On Dec 31, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]

Your post is amazing. I admire your input. It's encouraging to even myself, a graduate. I currently work as an assistant lecturer in Kwara State College of Education although with the intent of moving to a varsity after my masters. I admire you for delving into the academia after your degree. Most first class products want to eat oil money without considering that it will lay waste to what's in their brain. Although I wasn't able to make a first class because of the nature of my discipline (English and Literary Studies) which uses subjective marking and other factors such as the fact that I never intended to study the course. I was jolted there from Law and later loved the course in my second semester of 100level which was a big blow on me. I also gained admission quite young. Barely 15+ then so I had to discover myself. I was able to meet up, change course and broke records(made parallel As at times). However, I came out with a 2'1 and a certificate as the best graduating student. I intend to pursue masters this year.
Meanwhile which school is EEE. Pardon my ignorance. I would like to make your acquaintance so that we can share ideas. [/quote]

Thanks Literatymathy for appreciating my modest input regardless of the obvious typos. Again I must commend you for being able to gain university admission at a very young age (15+), I actually gained admission at the age of 17; you seem to me a bright mind judging by your record of best graduating student. For that, I say a BIG kudos. EEE in full means Electrical Electronic Engineering. Being in the academics has always being a childhood ambition for me (I actually aspire to be a professor of reput in my field). I enjoy research alot and love to learn new things and better ways of doing things and have always been fascinated by physical systems and nature. Coming from a relatively modest family, where in my early childhood days I had to help my family as farm labour, in our rather subsistence agricultural practice, I can still remember the drudgery of having to repeat a particular task over and over again, this always bored me. It was not until I came across inventions like the electric washing machine, electric bread toaster, electrically powered toys and mowing machines that perform their functions with little or no human effort. This was an eye opener for me into the world I seek: where human physical effort could be reduced to the barest minimum. My fascination with all these propelled me to study these machines in order to understand the underlying principles with which they operate. The crave for knowledge and problem solving informed my decision for studying Engineering. I intend to be actively involved in research and work in a highly reputable academic institution or research center where cutting-edge technology can be developed that will drive the Nigerian economy and position our nation as a high tech nation amongst the committee of developed nations. The responsibilty to make this nation great rests upon the shoulders of we the young Engineers and innovators and we need to start pushing ourselves beyond the limits and challenge the status quo.
@DJMONACO....thanks sir. To answer your questions; as I have stated above, I studied Electrical Electronic Engineering. As regarding study tips; I first would like to draw your attention to the socratic dictum that says "OH MAN KNOW THY SELF". Study habits and hence tips are largely relative and an individual thing. This is why the best advice for study habits and tips is that one should first understand oneself thoroughly first. While in the undergrad programme I always try to design a study schedule that best suite my personality. I am more of a day-person, that is I am more effective during the day than at night so I try to make maximum use of my day-time. And also I am the type of person that like to study a lot on my own. I only just need to be told what a course is about; like an overview of a concept, from there I can go on to study on my own. I easily get bored and tired sitting for a lecture for say 2hrs or more, so I try to attend the first few classes on a course at the beginning of the semesters, once I grasp what the course is about and I fully understand the scope of the course, I tend to withdraw from regular lectures and instead spend more time at the library because I do better studying on my own than have a lecturer teach me everyday all through the semester. I do not in anyway infer that students should shirk lectures, NO NO; all am saying is that every student should strive to understand themselves and determine what method is best for them. Some students are better of being taught everyday and spoon-fed for them to fully grasp a concept while some others only just require a brief explanation of a concept and they can go on to build on that, I belong to the latter group. Which ever group one belongs to, an important key or point to take into consideration is consistency in pursuing one's goal. Consistency is the mother of perfection they say. To ensure my consistency in studying everyday, I try to wake up very early each day to study at least 2hrs in the morning before doing any other thing in the morning. Research has shown the that retention capacity of the brain is usually high when one just wakes up newly particularly in the morning because the mind very fresh at that time and devoid of any form of worries. So by studying 2hrs every morning means that even if the day's activities become so hectic that am unable to study again during the day atleast I would have read for 2hrs on any particular day. For a bright and highy focus student, 2hrs a day consistently is enough to make a very decent grade in any course. But to be excellent, you might require more hours of study depending on the number of courses one is offering in the semester and the broadness of the courses. Again the KEY is understanding oneself.
So to summarize the study tips I would say:
1. Study yourself to understand and know your strength and weakness

2. Define a goal for yourself regarding the semester and design a study plan that will enable you achieve the goal.

3. have a thorough understanding of the scope of the courses to study for the semester

4. Go for lectures and when there, BE THERE; focus and concentration are paramount

5. Keep a comprehensive note of important points and concept in every course and lecture

6. STUDY TO KNOW AND NOT TO PASS YOUR EXAM

7. believe in yourself ( very important ), and more importantly, believe in GOD

8. just a little addendum; learn about the 20/80 rule for personal effectiveness. I recommend a book by Dr. Stephen R. Corvey, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

I will stop here for other bright minds to contribute their bit. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by AngelJennifer: 9:48pm On Dec 31, 2014
Ema2nty:
Hello guys, it's great to be on this thread. Thumps up to the OP for creating the thread and an avenue for people to share their academic experience and hurdles. In the light of the topic at hand I would like to share a little thought so as to encourage someone out there. With all humility, I would say that I happen to be recipient/holder of a First Class honours degree( not by shear luck but by a conscious and consciencious effort) in EEE from one of Nigeria's best ivry league colleges and currently a postgraduate student and graduate assistant lecturer. Graduating with a good grade from school is not so difficult as many believe it to be but a result of a consistent, dedicated effort geared towards achieving a goal. I would like to seize this opportunity to crave the indulgence of all undergraduates on this thread to in God's name take their studies seriously if they're not already doing so. I say this in the light of the current reality of the Nigerian job market. As of today, the Nigerian job market has become so dense and competitive that having a 2.2 is useless let alone a third class because most jobs advertised by employers these days put 2.1 as their benchmark. Due to the saturation of the Nigerian job market, the 2.1 benchmark is no longer adequate to seive graduates so employers now advocate for graduates with five credit in one sitting in waec. The implication of this is that if it happens that you were a "not so good" student in your secondary school so were able to get into the university by combining two waec results but eventually got better in the university and probably was able to graduate with a first class through shear hard work and determination; am sorry to inform you that you going to have a very big problem in your hands when you start applying to job vacancies because most employers especially employers of the BIG coys ( like the big audit firms; kpmg, PWC, Ernst and young, deliotte, the big oil MNC like shell, oando, etc) require candidates with good grades from uni and good grades in waec ( atleast five credits including Maths and English). So for the forks still battling with waec who happen to be on this thread, please learn a thing from the above. Well to avoid excessive ranting, I will like to posit that the decision to make a first class in the university is best made before beginning the first semester of the first year of the degree program. This so because it programs one's mind for success from the very beginning. The research that lends gridance to the above assertion was carried out by a Nigeria respected Public speaker, Motivational speaker and personal/corporate development coach- FELA DOUROTOYE. To close my ranting I will simply say that it cost far less to succeed than to fail- the price for success is less expensive compared to the shame of failure. SUCCESS at whatever endeavour cannot be achieved without Planning, focus, determination, perseverance, self-believe and God.

Please have the patience to read through the above and feel free to drop a question.....BTW pls bardon any grammatical inconsistency.

Sir, you used WAEC only here when referring to O'level, does that implies that these companies don't accept NECO?
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by DJMONACO(m): 10:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
[quote author=Ema2nty post=29378692][color=#006600][/color]

Your post is amazing. I admire your input. It's encouraging to even myself, a graduate. I currently work as an assistant lecturer in Kwara State College of Education although with the intent of moving to a varsity after my masters. I admire you for delving into the academia after your degree. Most first class products want to eat oil money without considering that it will lay waste to what's in their brain. Although I wasn't able to make a first class because of the nature of my discipline (English and Literary Studies) which uses subjective marking and other factors such as the fact that I never intended to study the course. I was jolted there from Law and later loved the course in my second semester of 100level which was a big blow on me. I also gained admission quite young. Barely 15+ then so I had to discover myself. I was able to meet up, change course and broke records(made parallel As at times). However, I came out with a 2'1 and a certificate as the best graduating student. I intend to pursue masters this year.
Meanwhile which school is EEE. Pardon my ignorance. I would like to make your acquaintance so that we can share ideas.

Thanks Literatymathy for appreciating my modest input regardless of the obvious typos. Again I must commend you for being able to gain university admission at a very young age (15+), I actually gained admission at the age of 17; you seem to me a bright mind judging by your record of best graduating student. For that, I say a BIG kudos. EEE in full means Electrical Electronic Engineering. Being in the academics has always being a childhood ambition for me (I actually aspire to be a professor of reput in my field). I enjoy research alot and love to learn new things and better ways of doing things and have always been fascinated by physical systems and nature. Coming from a relatively modest family, where in my early childhood days I had to help my family as farm labour, in our rather subsistence agricultural practice, I can still remember the drudgery of having to repeat a particular task over and over again, this always bored me. It was not until I came across inventions like the electric washing machine, electric bread toaster, electrically powered toys and mowing machines that perform their functions with little or no human effort. This was an eye opener for me into the world I seek: where human physical effort could be reduced to the barest minimum. My fascination with all these propelled me to study these machines in order to understand the underlying principles with which they operate. The crave for knowledge and problem solving informed my decision for studying Engineering. I intend to be actively involved in research and work in a highly reputable academic institution or research center where cutting-edge technology can be developed that will drive the Nigerian economy and position our nation as a high tech nation amongst the committee of developed nations. The responsibilty to make this nation great rests upon the shoulders of we the young Engineers and innovators and we need to start pushing ourselves beyond the limits and challenge the status quo.
@DJMONACO....thanks sir. To answer your questions; as I have stated above, I studied Electrical Electronic Engineering. As regarding study tips; I first would like to draw your attention to the socratic dictum that says "OH MAN KNOW THY SELF". Study habits and hence tips are largely relative and an individual thing. This is why the best advice for study habits and tips is that one should first understand oneself thoroughly first. While in the undergrad programme I always try to design a study schedule that best suite my personality. I am more of a day-person, that is I am more effective during the day than at night so I try to make maximum use of my day-time. And also I am the type of person that like to study a lot on my own. I only just need to be told what a course is about; like an overview of a concept, from there I can go on to study on my own. I easily get bored and tired sitting for a lecture for say 2hrs or more, so I try to attend the first few classes on a course at the beginning of the semesters, once I grasp what the course is about and I fully understand the scope of the course, I tend to withdraw from regular lectures and instead spend more time at the library because I do better studying on my own than have a lecturer teach me everyday all through the semester. I do not in anyway infer that students should shirk lectures, NO NO; all am saying is that every student should strive to understand themselves and determine what method is best for them. Some students are better of being taught everyday and spoon-fed for them to fully grasp a concept while some others only just require a brief explanation of a concept and they can go on to build on that, I belong to the latter group. Which ever group one belongs to, an important key or point to take into consideration is consistency in pursuing one's goal. Consistency is the mother of perfection they say. To ensure my consistency in studying everyday, I try to wake up very early each day to study at least 2hrs in the morning before doing any other thing in the morning. Research has shown the that retention capacity of the brain is usually high when one just wakes up newly particularly in the morning because the mind very fresh at that time and devoid of any form of worries. So by studying 2hrs every morning means that even if the day's activities become so hectic that am unable to study again during the day atleast I would have read for 2hrs on any particular day. For a bright and highy focus student, 2hrs a day consistently is enough to make a very decent grade in any course. But to be excellent, you might require more hours of study depending on the number of courses one is offering in the semester and the broadness of the courses. Again the KEY is understanding oneself.
So to summarize the study tips I would say:
1. Study yourself to understand and know your strength and weakness

2. Define a goal for yourself regarding the semester and design a study plan that will enable you achieve the goal.

3. have a thorough understanding of the scope of the courses to study for the semester

4. Go for lectures and when there, BE THERE; focus and concentration are paramount

5. Keep a comprehensive note of important points and concept in every course and lecture

6. STUDY TO KNOW AND NOT TO PASS YOUR EXAM

7. believe in yourself ( very important ), and more importantly, believe in GOD

8. just a little addendum; learn about the 20/80 rule for personal effectiveness. I recommend a book by Dr. Stephen R. Corvey, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

I will stop here for other bright minds to contribute their bit. Thanks[/quote
I appreciate
happy new year in advance

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Odunukwe30: 5:45pm On Jan 22, 2015
To come out top of your class you must be focused
This thesis, project research carried out a survey of the major medicinal plants.
Medical science students, Health science, Microbiology, Natural science as a whole don't miss this
click...
http://uniprojectsearch.com/medicinal-plan…-state-nigeria/
Survey of Major Medicinal Plants in Afikpo South Local Govt. Area in Ebonyi State, Nigeria
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 23, 2015
tellwisdom:
First of all, eat very welllll before class/studies.- Pay attention closely to what your lecturer teaches-Read and study like you are going to give a lecture on the subject(s).

By so doing, you will take charge.
the bolded doesnt work for everybody. People like me would do better with very little or no food.
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Ndubuisi1976(m): 6:53pm On Jan 25, 2015
I'm a fresher in uniport and going through this thread makes me over motivated. I do appreciate ur posts

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Johans(m): 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2015
Ndababa:
One advice. It has always worked for me: DON'T WORK HARD. WORK SMART! That's all
please how do I work smart? A story of how you worked smart will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Chiscomax(m): 7:51pm On Feb 08, 2015
OK, thank you very much my fellow students and also the graduates in this thread.

This is a condition everyone or probably not every one is going through in the department. A course adviser of the students records a different grade for the students in the department in some courses. You will ask me;"How did you know it was a different grade from what they scored?". We knew so because we saw the original grade sheets sent from the various departments. Now, when he compiles them together, he mis record grades. For instance, a friend of mine whom he record 'F' for in the first semester of his 100 levl came to realise he had the course an 'A' in his 300L. It was so unfortunate because he had already dropped 2 courses in his 200L to re-write the course. Now another two of my friends have discovered the same thing. I, myself have discovered the same thing in my result but the course advise is nonchallant about making corrections.

In such a situation, what do you thing is the best suggestion? Does the senate set up a panel for cross checking results before each student graduate? i.e transcripts or it is just what the course adviser sends to them that they take as their result.
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by FunnyDude(m): 10:15am On Nov 04, 2015
ThankGod for this thread ,I'm finding solace in it content.
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Auxigen(m): 11:02am On Nov 04, 2015
This thread has given me hope.. I can make it.. it's not over yet.!![color=#000099][/color] smiley
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Shimang1759: 10:46am On Sep 13, 2016
Hey guys...big ups to the whole inspirational idea.am a 300 level physics student in one of the varsities in Nigeria currently doing my i.t.I was able to hit a 2.1 In my first and second year but just discovered that if I could get an A in my I.t,the g.p would amount to 2.88 which really made me pissed.its like falling shot of your own standards and you guys understand how disgusting that makes you feel right?although I was really a nerd in my first and second year,I decided to give social events a try and I got carried away and I paid the priced dearly.I really hate thinking of even the fact of coming out with a 2.2. Pls how do I neutralize the grades and still get back on track?n any tips about handling 400 level?
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by haryormeedeh(f): 1:48am On Sep 15, 2016
Ema2nty:
Hello guys, it's great to be on this thread. Thumps up to the OP for creating the thread and an avenue for people to share their academic experience and hurdles. In the light of the topic at hand I would like to share a little thought so as to encourage someone out there. With all humility, I would say that I happen to be recipient/holder of a First Class honours degree( not by shear luck but by a conscious and consciencious effort) in EEE from one of Nigeria's best ivry league colleges and currently a postgraduate student and graduate assistant lecturer. Graduating with a good grade from school is not so difficult as many believe it to be but a result of a consistent, dedicated effort geared towards achieving a goal. I would like to seize this opportunity to crave the indulgence of all undergraduates on this thread to in God's name take their studies seriously if they're not already doing so. I say this in the light of the current reality of the Nigerian job market. As of today, the Nigerian job market has become so dense and competitive that having a 2.2 is useless let alone a third class because most jobs advertised by employers these days put 2.1 as their benchmark. Due to the saturation of the Nigerian job market, the 2.1 benchmark is no longer adequate to seive graduates so employers now advocate for graduates with five credit in one sitting in waec. The implication of this is that if it happens that you were a "not so good" student in your secondary school so were able to get into the university by combining two waec results but eventually got better in the university and probably was able to graduate with a first class through shear hard work and determination; am sorry to inform you that you going to have a very big problem in your hands when you start applying to job vacancies because most employers especially employers of the BIG coys ( like the big audit firms; kpmg, PWC, Ernst and young, deliotte, the big oil MNC like shell, oando, etc) require candidates with good grades from uni and good grades in waec ( atleast five credits including Maths and English). So for the forks still battling with waec who happen to be on this thread, please learn a thing from the above. Well to avoid excessive ranting, I will like to posit that the decision to make a first class in the university is best made before beginning the first semester of the first year of the degree program. This so because it programs one's mind for success from the very beginning. The research that lends gridance to the above assertion was carried out by a Nigeria respected Public speaker, Motivational speaker and personal/corporate development coach- FELA DOUROTOYE. To close my ranting I will simply say that it cost far less to succeed than to fail- the price for success is less expensive compared to the shame of failure. SUCCESS at whatever endeavour cannot be achieved without Planning, focus, determination, perseverance, self-believe and God.

Please have the patience to read through the above and feel free to drop a question.....BTW pls bardon any grammatical inconsistency.

Good morning,your post is really inspiring. I'm also studying EEE and my current CGPA is 4.45. you just gave me a reason to press further. Thank you very much
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Mickeywilliams(m): 11:03am On Sep 27, 2016
Learnt one or two from this thread.
Bottom line is always believe

3 Likes

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by fratermathy(m): 1:06am On Mar 27, 2017
This was my first thread on Nairaland (using a now deactivated moniker of literarymathy).

I am glad it was able to help others.

cool

Lalasticlala, don't you think this thread is overdue for frontpage posting?

1 Like

Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by kennyjam: 10:25pm On Aug 02, 2017
fratermathy:
This was my first thread on Nairaland (using a now deactivated moniker of literarymathy).

I am glad it was able to help others.

cool

Lalasticlala, don't you think this thread is overdue for frontpage posting?

yeah.... Thanks ma/sir
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by JossyYetty: 1:49pm On Jan 10, 2018
I am always happy to inspire others and to that extent, I have written a book title, "First Class Honours, Biblical Road To Academic Excellence" which is available for purchase online and in some bookshops in Nigeria. I am a first class graduate of Computer Science with Economics from the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU).

When it comes to making the best grade in school, a lot of parameters come into play. Topmost on that list is determination and focus. It is also important to attend classes regularly and to take notes yourself. Keeping away from people that can influence you away from reaching your goal is a must. In my case, my deep devotion to God was and is still an enabler in all I have achieved and will still achieve.

If you wish to know more, please feel free to contact me as it is not possible to explain all my 5-years experience at the University in a single post but remember, "It is not of him that wills nor of him that runs, but of God that shows mercy."

All the best.

Joseph
email: book@excellent-spirit.com
whatsApp/Call: +44(0) 795 804 9589
Re: First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others by Bigboy289(m): 9:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
Bump wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Eunice Favour Bags PhD In Pharmacognosy In Finland, The First Nigerian / I Have Lost Interest In School / Lagos Completes Elemoro Junior Secondary School Facility (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.