Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! - Fashion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! (74003 Views)

Lady Wears A Bum Short To Young-Shall-Grow Park Onitsha (pic) / How Can One Grow Facial Hair Rapidly? / Top Black Hair Salons In London? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by kushkush: 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2011
Thanks for replying. I'm heaving a sign or relief now (a bit). I have to start looking for a good leave in mositurizer now.

my hair is in ghana weaves and very unhealthy i believe because. I will take up your advice
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by kushkush: 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2011
where can i get extra virgin coconut oil
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by TheBBF(f): 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
Extra virgin coconut oil seems to be a rare commodity in this Lagos I won't lie to you. I know Health Plus Pharmacy used to carry it, but I am not sure they still do. I get my coconut oil from the Health Plus in GRA on Issac John Street, It's located in the Adebola Shopping Plaza/Mall.

If you can't find extra virgin coconut oil, use extra virgin olive oil instead, its easier to find. But make sure you buy the cooking grade. You can find the olive oil in any food super market.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by TheBBF(f): 12:21pm On Jul 28, 2011
Kushkush I noticed you said something about Ghana weaving. Please be careful when you do it next time. Ghana weaving is notorious for abolishing peoples' hairline, lol. Make sure the next time you do it, you tell the person braiding not to hold the front of your hair too tight, or that they should do brush in front.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by kushkush: 12:36pm On Jul 28, 2011
BBF you are so on point. The stylist made a brush in front before the actual weave but I still worry bout my hair line.
Please what does a moisturizer contain. I tried using a emily millionare coconut oil but cannot get it in between the weave.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by TheBBF(f): 2:41pm On Jul 28, 2011
Hi Kushkush!

A good moisturizer contains water/aqua as the first ingredient on the list. Note that that the only thing that can hydrate or moisturize you hair is water.

Another key ingredient is an emollient also an oil (but you can find oil free moisturizers) the oils are used to soften and lubricate the hair,  try and avoid products that have mineral oil or petroleum.

A good moisturizer should have humectants. humectants are substances that attract water to the hair. Eg, glycerin, honey, and Aloe Vera are good humectants

So look for moisturizers that have at least:

1) Water as the first ingredient
2) Oils like Jojoba, coconut, olive, avocado, Shea butter, coco butter etc and
3) Humectants like glycerin

I hope this helps.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by InkedNerd(f): 4:24pm On Aug 02, 2011
Omg TheBFF, its like your my long lost beauty tip sister lol grin
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by TheBBF(f): 9:36pm On Aug 02, 2011
grin Aww (blushing). Thanks Inked Nerd! I am trying really hard to help those who want to, grow long hair. The day I found out that women of African descent could have long hair, hmm I went on a mission! 3 years later I am still growing,  cheesy Anyway feel that you give amazing beauty tips too, we are always in accord wink
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 03, 2011
Who knows a good spray-in moisturizer? Would like to moisturize my hair while in weaves without affecting the weave.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by InkedNerd(f): 8:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
TheBBF:

grin Aww (blushing). Thanks Inked Nerd! I am trying really hard to help those who want to, grow long hair. The day I found out that women of African descent could have long hair, hmm I went on a mission! 3 years later I am still growing,  cheesy Anyway feel that you give amazing beauty tips too, we are always in accord wink

Thanks cheesy

stillwater:

Who knows a good spray-in moisturizer? Would like to moisturize my hair while in weaves without affecting the weave.

You could try using Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist.

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 03, 2011
Oh thanks.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by follypimpi(m): 10:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
My hair no dey grow again oo, I need help. I go for hair treatment twice a month yet it feels like is not growing.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by kushkush: 11:42am On Aug 04, 2011
Advice People: I am planning to get the olive oil hair range, ie shampoo, conditioner and mositurizing hair lotion. i hope it's okay for my hair.
The conditioner seems fine on my hair
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Natasha2(f): 12:27pm On Aug 04, 2011
wow this thread is great i'm so interested cheesy
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bdizzl: 8:13am On Aug 05, 2011
one thng ive noticed for hair is dat it just wants to be left alone to grow. Just leave your hair. My hair was full bt it neva grew til my aunt cornered me oneday, and trimmed bt by the time i relaxed it in a month it grew more inches than d last time. Truth is i av nt bin to d salon for nearly a year i do my natural twisting myself, carry it for 2 months i dont cream or i simply wash it and re-oil. Excess washing for those who want long hair isnt dat good dnt strip your hair of its oil. B4 washing i make coconut milk and soak it in my hair.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by TheBBF(f): 9:14am On Aug 05, 2011
follypimpi:

My hair no dey grow again oo, I need help. I go for hair treatment twice a month yet it feels like is not growing.

@follypimpi don't worry if you are relaxing you hair that means your hair is still growing. What is happening is that your hair is breaking as quickly as it grows. You need to find out what is causing the breakage and stop it. You said you go for a treatment twice a month, what kind of treatment? black hair is prone to dryness and breaking you have to be careful how you treat your hair. I could write an fill up this whole page on black hair care. But we should start from the basics, How do you take care of your hair:

How often do you wash?
How often do you steam?
What product do you use?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Natasha2(f): 5:51pm On Aug 05, 2011
After seeing this i  have decided to cut my hair skin cut by the way, though my hair is at the nape of my neck but its not as thick as i want it. I want to start growing new fine natural hair so please I need answers to these questions  are organic hair care products good? where can I find kenra hair products, creme of nature hair products in Beyelsa or PH?
thanks
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bdizzl: 7:47pm On Aug 05, 2011
coconut oil is adiagbon in Yoruba u can get it from local sellers who sell chewing sticks honey and blahblah which i think is more natural or u can get the pimped one in stores. If want thick and shiny hair then coconut milk and oil is for u. Egg also causes less breakage bt it stunk on my hair like mad! My hair was freakin thick nd d breakage so minimal at d end! Castor oil gives nice hair too. Then growin hair frm d scratch is no easy job but once u grow it to a plaitable point just keep doin Didi, weave rarely. They say it makes ur hair stronger in d longest run. And please try avoiding al these big big names and relax as less as u can
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Natasha2(f): 7:58pm On Aug 05, 2011
^thanks for the info and I know its gonna be hard work to start from the scratch lolz. I stay in Bayelsa so getting all this is very difficult I have gone to so many supermarkets today and I couldn't find any of these stuff even the oils, what conditioner, shampoo and moisturiser do you think i should get cos i don't know any good one lolz
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by InkedNerd(f): 1:42am On Aug 06, 2011
Natasha,,:

^thanks for the info and I know its gonna be hard work to start from the scratch lolz. I stay in Bayelsa so getting all this is very difficult I have gone to so many supermarkets today and I couldn't find any of these stuff even the oils, what conditioner, shampoo and moisturiser do you think i should get cos i don't know any good one lolz

You know, you can make your own hair products with basic things around the house if you can't find some items in store. There's a natural hair woman in Nigeria who sells natural and organic products. Perhaps you could check out her blog >>> http://thekinkyapothecary..com/

Just curious, but what sort of products do you see in the supermarkets when you go grocery shopping? That'll give us an idea on how we can help you.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by firestar(f): 1:29pm On Aug 06, 2011
Where can I get one of those 'rechargable' hair straighteners please?
I'm afraid I have to arm myself with one! You those kind of hair textures that drinks up half the bottle already?
Yeah. embarassed
I have to keep my hair at chin length just. . . because.
Thick and coarse. Is there any natural hair softener?
Please. cry
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Natasha2(f): 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

You know, you can make your own hair products with basic things around the house if you can't find some items in store. There's a natural hair woman in Nigeria who sells natural and organic products. Perhaps you could check out her blog >>> http://thekinkyapothecary..com/

Just curious, but what sort of products do you see in the supermarkets when you go grocery shopping? That'll give us an idea on how we can help you.

thanks ink, i see a lot of hair products but those are not what i want its either the contain sulphate or pretrolatum and all that, the thing is i stay in Bayelsa so some things are quite difficult to find here. what i want to buy Is creme hair shampoo and conditioner, along side with extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, I have not been able to find them I will try out other supermarkets but the one's i've checked, the stuffs are  not there

and hey i need names of affordable good hair moisturisers, i haven't settled on what moisturiser to use cos i'm confused so mind putting me theough on what moisturiser i should try?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by InkedNerd(f): 5:40pm On Aug 06, 2011
Natasha,,:

thanks ink, i see a lot of hair products but those are not what i want its either the contain sulphate or pretrolatum and all that, the thing is i stay in Bayelsa so some things are quite difficult to find here. what i want to buy Is creme hair shampoo and conditioner, along side with extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, I have not been able to find them I will try out other supermarkets but the one's i've checked, the stuffs are  not there

and hey i need names of affordable good hair moisturisers, i haven't settled on what moisturiser to use cos i'm confused so mind putting me theough on what moisturiser i should try?

Hmmm Natasha, I can think of lots of products for you to use in your hair but the problem is that I doubt be able to find them in Bayelsa sad

All I can really tell you is to get some shea butter and make some whipped shea pudding for your hair. I could give you come recipes if you want. I really do wish some of the products I had in mind were available in Nigeria. What kind of oils have you seen or been able to find in stores?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Natasha2(f): 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Hmmm Natasha, I can think of lots of products for you to use in your hair but the problem is that I doubt be able to find them in Bayelsa sad

All I can really tell you is to get some shea butter and make some whipped shea pudding for your hair. I could give you come recipes if you want. I really do wish some of the products I had in mind were available in Nigeria. What kind of oils have you seen or been able to find in stores?

[b]Thanks I guess so too, I saw all ORS products (in the biggest supermarket here)  but I didn't see their extra virgin olive oil or the coconut oil they had all ORS products except those, I had already made a list of things to buy so i didn't take notice of other products, and that's why i didn't buy the ors conditioner and shampoo cos i wanted to buy creme of nature shampoo and conditioner. i was just searching for those one's, the few i took notice of were not good, I saw only one olive oil it was something Africa i can't remember but i know there's an Africa, I finally bought a moisturiser ''holly wood olive cream'' and '' ors hair mayo'' << its a protein conditioner so i wanted to ask if its okay if i use it as my normal hair conditioner or is it going to be like taking panadol when i don't have head ache? cos they said its to stop breakage and all that. I asked my bf to help me get the oils, shampoo and conditioner he's in PH so i'm hoping he will find it there, but if he doesn't God forbid, I will go for the ors condi and shampoo so i want to know if it works, sorry for the boring write up lolz [/b]
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by follypimpi(m): 11:09pm On Aug 09, 2011
TheBBF:

@follypimpi don't worry if you are relaxing you hair that means your hair is still growing. What is happening is that your hair is breaking as quickly as it grows. You need to find out what is causing the breakage and stop it. You said you go for a treatment twice a month, what kind of treatment? black hair is prone to dryness and breaking you have to be careful how you treat your hair. I could write an fill up this whole page on black hair care. But we should start from the basics, How do you take care of your hair:

How often do you wash?
How often do you steam?
What product do you use?

I never wash my own hair, I go to the salon. I have never relaxed my hair either, just that when I have it plaited it comes up to my shoulder, right bout now is not. I dunno what kinda treatment, all I know is i go under the steam machine then sumfing to restrict my scalp from getting dry. Been told my hair looks mixed race-ish, whatever that means me no know.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by InkedNerd(f): 7:51pm On Aug 10, 2011
Natasha,,:

[b]Thanks I guess so too, I saw all ORS products (in the biggest supermarket here)  but I didn't see their extra virgin olive oil or the coconut oil they had all ORS products except those, I had already made a list of things to buy so i didn't take notice of other products, and that's why i didn't buy the ors conditioner and shampoo cos i wanted to buy creme of nature shampoo and conditioner. i was just searching for those one's, the few i took notice of were not good, I saw only one olive oil it was something Africa i can't remember but i know there's an Africa, I finally bought a moisturiser ''holly wood olive cream'' and '' ors hair mayo'' << its a protein conditioner so i wanted to ask if its okay if i use it as my normal hair conditioner or is it going to be like taking panadol when i don't have head ache? cos they said its to stop breakage and all that. I asked my bf to help me get the oils, shampoo and conditioner he's in PH so i'm hoping he will find it there, but if he doesn't God forbid, I will go for the ors condi and shampoo so i want to know if it works, sorry for the boring write up lolz [/b]

Well, hopefully your boyfriend will find the products for you. And you're not boring me. I just hope all works out well for you.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Natasha2(f): 6:47pm On Aug 11, 2011
^kk thanks a million
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by humanhair1: 7:26pm On Aug 11, 2011
We have 100% human hair both Brazilian and Indian origin.

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by TheBBF(f): 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2011
Ok I feel left out. I am not natural I still relax my hair, but even though relaxed hair requires a slightly different regimen from natural hair it is still possible to grow it!!! So again both natural ladies and relaxed ladies, lets grow this hair! Long hair isn't just for non-blacks anymore!!! grin cool cool grin

I've been growing my hair for over 2 years and see how far I've come:
[img]http://blackbeautyfanatic.files./2011/06/comic-p-1_new.jpg[/img]

There are so many resources out there that teach black hair care. it is possible, lol sorry I am getting excited again, lol
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Pweety4me(f): 11:46am On Aug 18, 2011
Who has tips on trimming hair on your own?i'm currently transitioning (relaxed to natural hair) smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by InkedNerd(f): 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2011
Pweety4me:

Who has tips on trimming hair on your own?i'm currently transitioning (relaxed to natural hair) smiley

Here ya go cheesy

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAoKRgcvKA&feature=channel_video_title[/flash]
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bdizzl: 9:38am On Sep 03, 2011
who has ideas of how i can style my transitioning hair myself, hairstyle ideas. Most hairdressers here dont really support all these transitioning and stuffs, even my sis thinks the same. She keeps warning me. Im sick of braids nd i dont want wigs and i jst want to give my hair some space to really grow

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Sere Wins Ugliest Man In Zimbabwe 2015 Beauty Pageant Show (PICS) / The Haircut I Ordered Vs The Haircut I Got (Photos) / From Thin To Thick & Curvy: Lady Shares Her Transformation Within 3 Years

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.