Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

What Is Wrong With Okonjo Iweala? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Wrong With Okonjo Iweala? (673 Views)

Interview With Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnap Suspect / VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! / Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Okonjo Iweala? by ypzilanti: 8:59am On Nov 24, 2014
How come we still spend almost 70 percent of income on recurrent expenditures 4 years later?

What serious economy does this in the world?

Spending most of the country's income on salaries and benefits when you have an awful infrastructure deficit?

What is the major pressure on dollar income in Nigeria 4 years later? Importation of refined petroleum products. What plans have been made to arrest this four years later? None.

You win is a great idea. How many Nigerians does it need to cater for to make any meaningful impact on society. Maybe one million. Definitely not 3000 people in a nation of 170 million.

Shes a world acclaimed economist. Im not, but somethings need just a basic education to understand. I loved her during objs regime, but I now I think she has become one of them. Those in government that are just going through the motions to create a semblance of governance but do not even attempt change or believe its possible.
Re: What Is Wrong With Okonjo Iweala? by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:34am On Nov 24, 2014
You cannot blame her for a political system that wastes public funds and promotes underdevelopment.

The 70/30 budget dichotomy is a systemic problem, not hers. For instance, it is not her fault that legislators legislated a fat chunk of the recurrent expenditure for themselves. When you couple this with subsidies, too many government agencies and grotesque corruption, 70 percent of the budget is exhausted.

She suggested that subsidies be cut and a sovereign fund be set up, all to no avail. So there is little she could do for the infrastructural deficit given the above reasons.

As a 'world class' economist, I believe she should have resigned from a system that stifles economic development. But as a politician, she has every right to stick with Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Okonjo Iweala? by dlox147(m): 12:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
Volksfuhrer:
You cannot blame her for a political system that wastes public funds and promotes underdevelopment.

The 70/30 budget dichotomy is a systemic problem, not hers. For instance, it is not her fault that legislators legislated a fat chunk of the recurrent expenditure for themselves. When you couple this with subsidies, too many government agencies and grotesque corruption, 70 percent of the budget is exhausted.

She suggested that subsidies be cut and a sovereign fund be set up, all to no avail. So there is little she could do for the infrastructural deficit given the above reasons.

As a 'world class' economist, I believe she should have resigned from a system that stifles economic development. But as a politician, she has every right to stick with Jonathan.
you just replicated my thoughts
Re: What Is Wrong With Okonjo Iweala? by ypzilanti: 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
@volks your analysis is spot on. If you cant change the system in a four year term, after two years of trying you cry foul and resign. Why campaign for another four years? The fact remains that if we keep doing the same thing we will get the same results

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo- The Prowling Goat Seller / Arresting Speaker Tambuwal Will Cause Chaos In The Country-apc / Exploding The Nigerian Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.