Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,425 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates (885 Views)

Lawyer Scaled Fence Into Office, Stole $40,000 – Witness / PDP Hails Lawmakers’ Move To Impeach Aregbesola / Lawmakers Who Sponsored The Highest Number Of Bills In The 7th NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by Princefame1: 8:57pm On Nov 25, 2014
Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National
Assembly Gates

I have read myriads of opinions since Thursday,
November 20, 2014, many of which condemned the
lawmakers for scaling the gates at the National
Assembly complex in a bid to gain entrance into the
chambers of the National Assembly after the
premises was cordoned off by the Police. I am
sorry to say that many of these opinions
condemning the action of the lawmakers are
actuated by misinformation, partisan politics, and
lack of knowledge of the law or plain bias. I
completely disagree with those condemnations.
Firstly, if the Police truly had information that thugs
were to invade the National Assembly, then the
Police should have simply invited the leadership of
the National Assembly to a meeting a day or few
hours to that shameful incident to brief it on
developments. The Police did not do so.
Let us not forget that the lawmakers have a legal,
legitimate and constitutional right to enter into the
Chambers of the National Assembly having been
elected to so do by Nigerians. To prevent them from
gaining entrance, therefore, without a court order, or
any legislative order suspending any member or
members from the precincts of the National
Assembly (whoever the person or authority is)
amounts to illegality. The Police in this case,
engaged in pure illegality by barricading the gates of
the National Assembly, even if they did so on the
orders of the Inspector-General of Police. The orders
of the I.G.P do not amount to law and he is not a
demigod to decide who enters any premises or not.
It therefore means that the lawmakers had the right
to do whatever is legal to protect their mandates
and discharge their constitutional duties to
Nigerians. Scaling of a fence into a premises where
you have a right to enter is not an offence anywhere
in Nigeria, either under the Penal Code or under the
Criminal Code. If I arrive my house and see a
madman by my gate who may attack me, I may
decide to call the Police or simply scale my fence
into my house to rest and have my peace. However,
it was the very Police which one should run to for
help that were the “madmen” on this occasion.
There was no one else to run to. They had to scale
that gate.
Let us not forget too that there was a real plot (not
unusual in our kind of democratic environment) to
allow only a handful of PDP legislators into the
chambers to “impeach” the Speaker and install the
Deputy Speaker as “Speaker”. The other lawmakers
had no option but to do all that was legal and
necessary to stop that illegality which included
scaling that fence. I have said before that scaling a
fence into your own premises is not an offence
anywhere in our laws, more so it would have been
total cowardice on the part of the affected lawmakers
for them to fold their arms and do nothing about the
situation. They have the utmost duty to protect the
Will of the people.
I am very proud of those lawmakers who scaled that
gate. They are the bold, courageous and
uncompromising lawmakers we so dearly need in
this country to stand up against tyranny and to
protect our democracy. They have shown guts, grits
and nerves to confront bullets, teargas and brute
force to protect the democratic institution of the
Legislature from Executive interferences. They
deserve commendation and not condemnation.
They should keep jumping and jumping and
jumping over gates, fences, walls and huddles if that
will save our democracy. That is the only way to
go.
Daily Post.

6 Likes

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by ramdris(m): 9:04pm On Nov 25, 2014
I totally agree with u sir!
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by Generalkorex(m): 9:09pm On Nov 25, 2014
You are on point
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by Princefame1: 9:11pm On Nov 25, 2014
grin
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by Princefame1: 9:13pm On Nov 25, 2014
Patiently waiting for the PDP comments. ;DPatiently waiting for the PDP comments.
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by emmy4lov(m): 9:39pm On Nov 25, 2014
Oga what is wrong is wrong... That act was wrong what example are they shown.
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by braine(m): 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2014
One bottle of beer for you, Festus.

1 Like

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by wirinet(m): 10:00pm On Nov 25, 2014
Keyamo understand's PDP tactics. If the APC senators had not scaled the fence to be physically present inside the house of assembly chambers, and behaved "gentlemanly" as PDP.TAN had suggested, they would have heard on NTA a few hours later that 50 PDP house of assembly members had impeached Right Honourable Tambuwal and the deputy speaker had taken over. They would then sing their usual mantra of go to court if anyone is not satisfied.

The House of Assembly members were indeed brave to defy the plans of PDP and scale the fence to enforce their rights.

4 Likes

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by samento: 10:10pm On Nov 25, 2014
emmy4lov:
Go and sleep, what did you know, only stomach infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by LFJ: 11:04pm On Nov 25, 2014
emmy4lov:

That question shd be directed to the ogogoro man in Aso Rock who think that being a president make him god.
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by meccuno: 11:32pm On Nov 25, 2014
Thank God....just a page....say no to Tribalism religious bigotry and partisan politics.....!!
Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 25, 2014
I shook my head on hearing charlatan Jonathanians condemning what the Reps did.....most cited morality and lack of finesse on the path of the APC Reps who scaled the fence. Then i asked if PDP's brand of idiocy-proppelled politicking can be matched with act of gentlemanliness and humility as expected from the opposition by most TANoids.....

You dont expect them to lie low and allow PDP to do the Ekiti PDP House of Assembly style impeachment on Tambuwal and be asked to go to court

1 Like

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by OAM4J: 12:21am On Nov 26, 2014
I totally agree with Keyamo.

I consider myself a gentleman, but if I find myself in those legislators' shoes, I will not only jump the fence, I will pull down the gate with the wall if I have the means to.

They have every right to be in that chamber without any harassment to do what Nigerians voted and employed them to do. If they had not jumped the fence, it would have been another 'Ekiti' impeachment.

I also commend those legislators.

2 Likes

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by pheliciti: 12:38am On Nov 26, 2014
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. Scaling fences is now despicable? It's so easy to forget the travails of the people that fought for this democracy, the facing down of the police, sneaking out through fences to beat police barricades. How many people remember the send forth for Mr. Walter Carrignton when the police barricaded the entire Surulere venue? Those old NADECO men sneaked to ensure the programme held to the shame of the junta, with now favored Al Mustapha playing the role of tormentor-in-chief. Do you think the people that sneaked through the borders to Benin Republic to beat the security cordon during the dark Abacha days did not take risks? The scenes now playing seem so similar to the Abacha days. With the pardon and rehabilitation of Abacha, Al Mustapha, it seems the dark days are back. I pray we won't have to do more than jumping fences to survive!

1 Like

Re: Keyamo Hails Lawmakers Who Scaled National Assembly Gates by edo3(m): 5:26am On Nov 26, 2014
You are on point sir..I concur sir..

(1) (Reply)

Bus Plunges Into River •mother, 2 Children, 8 Others Die / Time To Get Rid Of Tinubu’s Cronies In Lagos / Reasons Why Atiku Will Winthe APC Presidential Ticket- A Nairalander's Opinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.