Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications (27762 Views)

More Reasons Why Visa Applications Are Refused / UK Suspends £3,000 Visa Bond / FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Tunagee(m): 1:24pm On Nov 26, 2014
okon11:

The US Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate in Lagos received more than 220,000 non-immigrant visa applications between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014.

The Consular Chief of the embassy, Ms Stacie Hankins, disclosed this while responding to questions from newsmen on the new visa procedures on Tuesday in Abuja.

Hankins said the figure represented an increase of about 38,000 visa applications when compared with the 182,000 applications in the previous year.

She said, “Between October 1, 2012 and September 30, 2013, the embassy in Abuja and consulate in Lagos received more than 182,000 non-immigrant visa applications, the majority of which were approved.

“Between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014, we received more than 220,000 applications.

“Again, the majority of those applications were approved.

“We hope that Nigerians’ desire to visit our beautiful country will continue to grow.

“And we look forward to working with our partners to allow qualified tourists and business travellers to do so.”

According to her, the Consulate in Lagos received 15, 500 immigrant visa applications between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014, out of which 4, 900 applications were approved.

Hankins said there had been increase in the visa applications received by the embassy over the last five years.

She added that there was no limit to the visa applications the embassy could receive and approve.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the consular official explained that the US-Nigeria partnership remained strong.

Source: .com.ng

dem dey fear 2015 election. For those going there for survival,Instead wey dem for pray make God open their eyes to see their destined place of making it in life, they are running helter skelter to go suffer for anotherman's land. Blind people who perish for lack of knowledge.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 26, 2014
Princek12:

And to come and give birth to their children so that their children can serve the dual purpose of can becoming American citizens and serving as anchor babies.
But for the anchor kids to come off and file for their folks is gonna be a long time...so say 30yrs, Nigerians don't still see any light at the end of...
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Wallie(m): 3:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
bjdon:

Absolute nonsense.
Even as a young kid growing up in Nigeria we used to play 'Police and theif' my area and some of us had toy plastic 'Lux pistols'. Are you saying it would have been ok to shoot us down. Please I can accept that the Ferguson case may not be as clear as some feel, but to say it's ok to shoot a 12 year old kid for playing around with a TOY, well, that just makes me feel you've been watching way tooo much Fox news

The toy guns you played with as a kid bears no resemblance to a real gun. Why do you think manufacturers of fake guns are required to put an orange plastic cap on the nozzle of the gun? Can you tell which gun is real or fake in the pics blow?

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Wallie(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2014
The real issue with toy guns is that they are made to look like the real thing, especially if the orange cap has been taken off and it is being pointed at you. You have a split second to make a life or death decision.

This is even more true in the US where ANYBODY include kids as young as 6 can get a gun.

Here's someone that's about 5 years old with a loaded gun in his kindergarten class.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/26/kindergartener-brings-loaded-gun-to-school-police-say-found-in-backpack-child/

6 year old with a .45-caliber handgun in school
http://www.wtae.com/news/student-brings-gun-to-ramsey-elementary-school-in-monroeville/25735560

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by adewaleh(m): 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2014
According to her, the Consulate in Lagos received 15, 500 immigrant visa
applications between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014, out of which 4,
900 applications were approved.

15,500 people got immigrant visa. while the remaining guys will be hustling on how to get permanent stay. Make them first enter first ..
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Curvinus(m): 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2014
freelife4all:
The number is increasing cause people are not happy. Nigeria is not a country that one should be proud of coming from. I have my reasons and am right, you may be proud of being a Nigeria but am not. I want to denounce my citizenship. I need help on how to go about it.

Get a long rope and suspend yourself....till you stop breathing grin
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Mcowubaba: 4:37pm On Nov 26, 2014
teeowl:
it is burning with riots in ferguson in USA right now... they have their own problem also...

dia own no reach 15% of Naija own.....#fact#
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by NaijaOptimist: 5:00pm On Nov 26, 2014
Have never been to any embassy before, but am seriously considering the idea now.

2015 tinz..........
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 26, 2014
femmysin:

Pls tell him dat its even beta to be shot in America where justice wrks than ova here were only d rich dictates d pace of justice.

I hear you.

It's idiotic to even compare the legal system in Nigeria with that of the US.

The police kill civilians in Nigeria like fowls. If a LEO fires his sidearm (not even kill anybody), he will be placed on administrative duty while they investigate.

I'm a black Man and I feel sorry that sometimes Son was killed but the grand jury looked at all the evidence in this Wilson case and they found that the Officer is not guilty.

Now I tell you this unlike Nigeria, that Officer even though he won't be going to jail is completely finished financially in his life. He will never get a police job ever and the family will sue him for millions in civil court and they will win that and meaning any income that he gets will go to them.

OJ Simpsons was found innocent of murder in a criminal court but found guilty in a civil court and the family of his wife won millions.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 26, 2014
Tunagee:

dem dey fear 2015 election. For those going there for survival,Instead wey dem for pray make God open their eyes to see their destined place of making it in life, they are running helter skelter to go suffer for anotherman's land. Blind people who perish for lack of knowledge.

Why do you have this faulty opinion?
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 26, 2014
I am going to write to USA embassy to stop granting visas to Nigerians because they don't like Americans. tongue

2 Likes

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2014
all4naija:
I am going to write to USA embassy to stop granting visas to Nigerians because they don't like Americans. tongue

You don't have to do that.

There are at least two US Visa Officers on Nairaland in the travel section and I am sure that they read Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 26, 2014
adewaleh:
According to her, the Consulate in Lagos received 15, 500 immigrant visa
applications between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014, out of which 4,
900 applications were approved.

15,500 people got immigrant visa. while the remaining guys will be hustling on how to get permanent stay. Make them first enter first ..
4,900 got...hello!
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 26, 2014
220000? shocked so everybody wants to leave Naija yet they claim to be true patriots.

The US NEED TO SHUT ITS BORDERS....this is getting out of hand cheesy

Not a fan of the states but the system there is 500 times better than Nigeria's.

2 Likes

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by maternal: 9:30pm On Nov 26, 2014
ferdimako:

But for the anchor kids to come off and file for their folks is gonna be a long time...so say 30yrs, Nigerians don't still see any light at the end of...

Anchor kids provide economic stability for their parents and loved ones in Nigeria. There kids can also travel the world visa free which is important. Although I was born/bred in naija I have a Canadian passport. I fit in this category. I pity anyone who only has a naija passport

2 Likes

Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by maternal: 9:39pm On Nov 26, 2014
NgwaManNaija4LF:
Nawa ooo,even me we dey Amerika for over half century wan come back home. grin

After half a century you haven't found your way back home ? You're only insulting yourself.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by oyetpel(m): 10:05pm On Nov 26, 2014
Am one of the unfortunates to be rejected visa twice in year, with oda 10000 plus applicants, nd the us embassy charge 28,500 for visa fee...dats 285million naira they generated on pple not given visa
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by InvertedHammer: 10:05pm On Nov 26, 2014
/
In all honesty, what is the definition of home?

Nigeria is more of a house than home.

\
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 26, 2014
maternal:

After half a century you haven't found your way back home ? You're only insulting yourself.

Oponu ode jatijati.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 26, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/
In all honesty, what is the definition of home?

Nigeria is more of a house than home.

\

well said sir
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by bumitek02(m): 11:10pm On Nov 26, 2014
Why this mass exodus bikonu? this is why America will never stop to downgrade Nigeria, what a shame, out of that 220,000 don't be surprise that people they will grant visa will not up to 30,000 the rest will just west their money, this how they are growing their economy.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by erico2k2(m): 2:55pm On Nov 27, 2014
ooshinibos:

I agree movement is constant but the movement of Naija to usa and europe is more on the higher level ( not constant ) ..there are different kind of movements ..there is economic migrants and their social migrants .. if naija had the basic human basic amenities people will not leave permanently . i remember when a lot of brits move to naija in the 80s , this was because our economy was great and life was not hard , the lower class ,the middle class and the upper class were thriving ..now only the upper class are doing well . tHE BRITS THAT MOVE TO NAIJA now are the ones that will come and enjoy and make money and move it out of naija ..Think bruv .. i have since left naija , its not for me , thanks .
You have left 9ja when we are returning aha, may I asked to what country ,as things stand there are 3 countries of the world you can brake even lawfully, UK,US and Canada.the rest na wash.back in the 80s if you remember in a whole street mayB there is only 4 TVs,all black and white,one land line,mayB 2 cars.(ja had potential then even till date 9ja still have potentials, all we need is initial capital.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by erico2k2(m): 3:00pm On Nov 27, 2014
bjdon:

Absolute nonsense.

Even as a young kid growing up in Nigeria we used to play 'Police and theif' my area and some of us had toy plastic 'Lux pistols'. Are you saying it would have been ok to shoot us down. Please I can accept that the Ferguson case may not be as clear as some feel, but to say it's ok to shoot a 12 year old kid for playing around with a TOY, well, that just makes me feel you've been watching way tooo much Fox news
We don't have same problem as they do in the US and UK,guns are meant to kill,kids learn with fake guns then use real ones,check the stats the age of gun victims, average age is 16-18, do 16-18 year Old carry Guns and kill each other cos one was wearing the wrong colours i n Nigeria?U might have visited the west but if you actually do lived here and have kids like City and I, you opinion would sure be different.I will never buy a plastic Gun for my child to play with indoors or outdoors.Even if the Police can identify it as plastic, other gang members wont.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by ooshinibos: 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2014
erico2k2:

You have left 9ja when we are returning aha, may I asked to what country ,as things stand there are 3 countries of the world you can brake even lawfully, UK,US and Canada.the rest na wash.back in the 80s if you remember in a whole street mayB there is only 4 TVs,all black and white,one land line,mayB 2 cars.(ja had potential then even till date 9ja still have potentials, all we need is initial capital.

i tried all countries..except canada ..USA can be tricky if you are broke ...IN usa u must have a job , while in UK without a job u can manage via government support for a while .. mean while i dey Germany , its ok but language is tough ..
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 27, 2014
ooshinibos:

i tried all countries..except canada ..USA can be tricky if you are broke ...IN usa u must have a job , while in UK without a job u can manage via government support for a while .. mean while i dey Germany , its ok but language is tough ..

There's unemployment insurance in the USA as well as food stamps and subsidies.

You guys really need to stop spreading false rumors about the US.

Listen, it's okay not to like the US but you don't have to fabricate stuff to try to paint her in a bad light.

If the UK is so freaking rosy why are Britons emigrating here?
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2014
erico2k2:

We don't have same problem as they do in the US and UK,guns are meant to kill,kids learn with fake guns then use real ones,check the stats the age of gun victims, average age is 16-18, do 16-18 year Old carry Guns and kill each other cos one was wearing the wrong colours i n Nigeria?U might have visited the west but if you actually do lived here and have kids like City and I, you opinion would sure be different.I will never buy a plastic Gun for my child to play with indoors or outdoors.Even if the Police can identify it as plastic, other gang members wont.

Similar issues faced by criminal elements are the same world wide.

I can also tell you that thieves won't be writing me a letter that they are coming to rob me here in the US. I welcome them as I will be waiting for them with my arsenal and I won't even call the Cops until they are all dead but INSIDE my house.

Guns don't kill, people do.

Local government hoodlums in Nigeria as well as transportation union members maim and kill each other and innocent bystanders with guns. So yes Nigeria has guns too.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by ooshinibos: 10:08pm On Nov 27, 2014
CityNG:

There's unemployment insurance in the USA as well as food stamps and subsidies.

You guys really need to stop spreading false rumors about the US.

Listen, it's okay not to like the US but you don't have to fabricate stuff to try to paint her in a bad light.

If the UK is so freaking rosy why are Britons emigrating here?

bruv ..nobody is painting USA bad , obviously ,its one of the best countries ,even with racial riots and all ..and the gun culture . i have lived in the USA , and it really depends what state you live in and what your profession is , you cannot compare Europe welfare to the USA ,its way different , the welfare is a mess and benefits no one , here in europe we get free healthcare , free unemployment benefit , childcare , and housing benefit , Americans love europe ... i know loads Americans that have moved to the UK ( one is looking at me right now ), plenty of them ...my point if you have a good well paid job , America is the best , while in europe you dont have be well paid to enjoy the best of life e.g free healthcare , free unemployment benefit , childcare , and ...some places like switzerland ,even pay you 80 percent of wages for 12 months if you lose your job ...no country can beat that ...even the usa
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by Nobody: 12:04am On Nov 28, 2014
ooshinibos:

bruv ..nobody is painting USA bad , obviously ,its one of the best countries ,even with racial riots and all ..and the gun culture . i have lived in the USA , and it really depends what state you live in and what your profession is , you cannot compare Europe welfare to the USA ,its way different , the welfare is a mess and benefits no one , here in europe we get free healthcare , free unemployment benefit , childcare , and housing benefit , Americans love europe ... i know loads Americans that have moved to the UK ( one is looking at me right now ), plenty of them ...my point if you have a good well paid job , America is the best , while in europe you dont have be well paid to enjoy the best of life e.g free healthcare , free unemployment benefit , childcare , and ...some places like switzerland ,even pay you 80 percent of wages for 12 months if you lose your job ...no country can beat that ...even the usa

It's clear that you have an issue with the US as you continue to paint her in bad light.

Good luck with that.
Re: US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications by ooshinibos: 11:17am On Nov 28, 2014
CityNG:

It's clear that you have an issue with the US as you continue to paint her in bad light.

Good luck with that.

even obama have issues with the usa ....he cannot fix the shooting of blacks youths and gun control .
The american dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!! really !!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Picking Random People On The Highway While Travelling / China Police Orders Hotel Managements To Drive Out All Nigerians / Nigerian Embassy In Canada Shuts Down After Protests Over Passports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.