Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? (1243 Views)

Federal Government Have Started Paying February Salary And First 28days. / GEJ And His Government Have Failed / Uk Government Have Proposed That Non-eu Migrants Must Get Private Health Care. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 11:48am On Nov 26, 2014
A couple of hours ago, I read on vanguard where Hon Tambuwal said there's no going back on LG autonomy. I echo his sentiments.

The LG which was created in order to bring government closer to the people, has been hijacked by our state governors, thereby depriving the people the benefits that they should derive thereby.

In your opinion, should NASS grant autonomy to our LG?

Your opinion and the accompanying reasons will be highly appreciated.

Shalom.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by 2cato: 12:03pm On Nov 26, 2014
Giving LG full authonomy will put more money in the hand of tinubu
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by 2cato: 12:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
Giving LG full authonomy will put more money in the disposal of tinubu and less at the disposal of fashola
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by cooljude(m): 12:11pm On Nov 26, 2014
Yes. More power to more people, less power to a few, it would also increase people participation in politics. But it would not work at the initial stage, but with time it would start growing as a better form of government.

1 Like

Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by donlyone(m): 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2014
They should not be given autonomy. They are useless and more corrupt than the other tiers of government. I am talking about the local government in my area

LGA autonomy is not the problem, CURRUPTION is.

Kick curruption out and see Nigeria blossom
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 12:32pm On Nov 26, 2014
cooljude:
Yes. More power to more people, less power to a few, it would also increase people participation in politics. But it would not work at the initial stage, but with time it would start growing as a better form of government.

I agree.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 12:34pm On Nov 26, 2014
donlyone:
They should not be given autonomy. They are useless and more corrupt than the other tiers of government. I am talking about the local government in my area

LGA autonomy is not the problem, CURRUPTION is.

Kick curruption out and see Nigeria blossom

Corruption is a general problem we're facing as a people. And taking away some powers from the state governors is a way of reducing corruption.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 12:34pm On Nov 26, 2014
2cato:
Giving LG full authonomy will put more money in the disposal of tinubu and less at the disposal of fashola

Explain.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by holatin(m): 12:42pm On Nov 26, 2014
so much problem this days.
fight corruption first
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by donmalcolm21(m): 12:44pm On Nov 26, 2014
true federalism requires autonomy for local councils and it allows for active participation of the grassroots in politics. The APC refused local govt autonomy in the last National conference.

1 Like

Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 12:55pm On Nov 26, 2014
donmalcolm21:
true federalism requires autonomy for local councils and it allows for active participation of the grassroots in politics. The APC refused local govt autonomy in the last National conference.

LG autonomy is long overdue. We need government at the grassroots.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by 2cato: 1:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
dein77:

Explain.
LG boss in all APC controlled state were been nominated by tinubu and they are made to part with N1 million naira each every month now given them full authonomy to the LG might increase the amount. As fash we all know that fash have been deeping his hands into LG allocation for its own personal gain and that is why he sent a bill to the state house of assembly to abolish LG election in lagos state rather it will be by appointment of dummies as the LG boss
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 1:06pm On Nov 26, 2014
2cato:
LG boss in all APC controlled state were been nominated by tinubu and they are made to part with N1 million naira each every month now given them full authonomy to the LG might increase the amount. As fash we all know that fash have been deeping his hands into LG allocation for its own personal gain and that is why he sent a bill to the state house of assembly to abolish LG election in lagos state rather it will be by appointment of dummies as the LG boss

Please, look at the bigger picture. Your opinion is carried, though.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by donlyone(m): 1:52pm On Nov 26, 2014
dein77:

Corruption is a general problem we're facing as a people. And taking away some powers from the state governors is a way of reducing corruption.

Try to examine the way LGAs operate. You'll find they are also shamelessly currupt.

Autonomy for LGAs is good but it will make no difference with the present level of curruption in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by dein77(m): 2:00pm On Nov 26, 2014
donlyone:

Try to examine the way LGAs operate. You'll find they are also shamelessly currupt.

Autonomy for LGAs is good but it will make no difference with the present level of curruption in Nigeria.

Ok. I'll do some more work on the modus operandi of the LG system.
Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by holatin(m): 4:44pm On Nov 26, 2014
fight corruption first or what u trying will be another avenue for corruption

1 Like

Re: Should Our Local Government Have Autonomy? by tinkinjow: 5:51pm On Nov 26, 2014
"Local" supposed to be localised. nuffsaid.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The PDP Tragedy Vs APC Threat: A Dilemma For The Yoruba Nation by Remi Oyeyemi / Get My Watch By Obj / Military Rule Is Necessity, Says Buhari As Obasanjo Picks Pdp Nomination Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.