Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,666 members, 7,820,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS (8120 Views)

Bafarawa Escapes Arrest As EFCC Lays Siege On Residence / Saraki Replies APC Leadership On NASS Crisis, Says "My Hands Are Tied" / PDP Conspiring With Reps To Impeach GEJ - S’South Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by espn(m): 7:41am On Nov 27, 2014
lekejob:
I don't think we have any honourable in the house, pls let d man go. Or what will u call somebody that jump the fence?
what wld u call d senseless blocking of gate by dos touts called police.. why dint dey block dis gate before d speaker defected to d opposition party. We v a tout as the head of d executive arm of govt.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by tuborme: 8:03am On Nov 27, 2014
Adminisher:

Parliamentary system.
Here we vote for the person not the party. The member is the representative of the people of an area in the national assembly. The people would not be disenfranchised because their rep changed parties.

If it is so, why did the constitution include that section at all...if it does not disenfranchise the people being represented?
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by QuiverBox(f): 8:17am On Nov 27, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

That is Jonathan's version of democracy!

Do you have to insult to make a point?
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by Amanwulu1(m): 8:32am On Nov 27, 2014
Demdem:

But the same constitution didn't regard former APGA reps that decamped to pdp as ex members eh.
Hypocrite, run along now and go find ur gullible kind.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by agabusta: 9:04am On Nov 27, 2014
Adminisher:

Parliamentary system.
Here we vote for the person not the party. The member is the representative of the people of an area in the national assembly. The people would not be disenfranchised because their rep changed parties.

I disagree a little. According to our electoral laws, we vote for both. The person and party. That is the reason Ameachi became a governor even though his name was not on the ballot. His party won the election. And he was able to prove to the court that he was supposed to be the authentic candidate of the party. If you dont have a party, you cannot contest for an elective post in Nigeria.

But the Tambuwal scenario is not difficult to understand. People are just trying to play smart. The constitution has given us the condition that may warrant a defection. Tambuwal claimed he is defecting based on this condition that there is a faction in his party in his state. What any aggrieved person can do is to go to court to ascertain if indeed his claim of a 'factionalisation' of his party is true. Not that a person not authorized by the constitution will on his own declare the speaker's seat vacant and then ask the speaker to go to court. It is an aberration which must be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians.

Everyone that loves this country should condemn this impunity by the ruling govt in its entirety where an obviously illegal act will be committed with the mindset that before the court rules on the case will take a while, and their selfish agenda would have been fulfilled. What this does is to set off a precedence that may come to haunt everyone later on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by agabusta: 9:07am On Nov 27, 2014
chukwudi44:

How many time has section 68(1)g been quoted on this thread or r u just too dumb to read?

You seem to be the old dumb here not to realise that a condition is attached to that section. I dont blame you anyways, its a personal choice to decide not to engage one's reasoning faculty.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by Demdem(m): 10:03am On Nov 27, 2014
Gabbysky:

As bad as I hate to quote you personally, I would do this to educate Nigerians:
When the APGA guys defected there were the 'Umeh-faction' and the 'Bianca-faction'.
The move then was deliberate in order to strengthen PDP'S number in the Nat Assembly

Who are u to determine that there is a faction in APGA?
Has the courts determined this? Umeh will still tell u that APGA remains one big family.
Hypocrites hates quoting me and I understand that.
The same way there is a faction of the killer party in sokoto that neccesisated a reconciliation committee to go there but they didn't invite tambuwal. U are not educating anything but blowing propaganda.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by Demdem(m): 10:09am On Nov 27, 2014
Nctrice:
a man that according to your constitution should lose his seat! still remains the speaker abi?

The same way other men that decamped to pdp lost their seats right?
Hypocrite, to hell with u.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by Demdem(m): 10:14am On Nov 27, 2014
Elose11:

The constitution says the speaker can declare vacant the seat of a member who decamped.
If APGA members decamped and the speaker did not declare their seat vacant, then he is failing in his duty. Since the construction is silent on who declares the speaker's seat vacant when he defects, then the law takes mandatory effect. The constitution says any member who defect from the party under which he is elected to a diffent party shall lose his seat. The arm of government that is statutorily empowered to enforce the law is the executive. That my friend is where the police comes in.

It's allowed to turn the law books upside down to suit ur argument and this is what u have perfectly done.
On issues pertaining to what the constitution is silenced about, only the law courts can determine the next line of action and not the police, aso rock or wadata plaza.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by Demdem(m): 10:18am On Nov 27, 2014
drnoel:

its Nigeria and the police has always carried these kind of "gestapo" (as u call it) operations on citizens. Tell me what makes Tumbuwal or the other law makers different? Also 4get about insults and trry to speak constructively without resorting to insults. I want to believe u are an adult, educated and not naive. So act like an educated person.

How dare u compare the gustapo operation carried out by the police in ur neighbourhood to what occurred at the nass. It's incomparable.
For instance, we're those operations covered by international media?
Cut the chase please, for them to do this, the go ahead order came from Jonathan.
Re: Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS by drnoel: 4:52pm On Nov 27, 2014
Demdem:

How dare u compare the gustapo operation carried out by the police in ur neighbourhood to what occurred at the nass. It's incomparable.
For instance, we're those operations covered by international media?
Cut the chase please, for them to do this, the go ahead order came from Jonathan.

Cut the crap. If u can't give us proof that the order came from GEJ don't ever talk about this shameful situation that occurred at NASS. All we know is that the thugs and roughneck that the masses put there hoping to have representation went suddenly mad and completely disgraced their constituents. The reason behind their sudden madness is open to debate. But only say what u know if u can back it with proof.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The World’s Most Educated President 2015 / Lagos Was Party To National Good Governance Tour Agreement / Osoba: Some Persons Sat On APC Report On Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.