Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,464 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} (25978 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 6:02pm On Jan 13, 2015
mathefaro:
I'm always available for anybody anybody who needs help
Ok! But bro' I need your help sire'? And I'll appreciate and be very glad if you could sire... The problem is 'I have a problem...
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by mathefaro(m): 7:55pm On Jan 13, 2015
hatux:
Ok! But bro' I need your help sire'? And I'll appreciate and be very glad if you could sire... The problem is 'I have a problem...
this is beyond my power
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 8:04pm On Jan 13, 2015
mathefaro:
this is beyond my power
No bro.. Its not that a big one..
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by mathefaro(m): 8:07pm On Jan 13, 2015
hatux:
No bro.. Its not that a big one..
I thought you're only joking, I'm listening please
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 8:20pm On Jan 13, 2015
mathefaro:
I thought you're only joking, I'm listening please
Actually bro' the problem is ' I have a brother who's graduated for secondary school last year as a commercial student but now he's graduated his parents told him to study a course which is a science course 'computer science'... And now the guy has been trying to go tutorials I mean lessons' stuffs like that cos he his gonna write jamb this year... So' what I actually want to ask is that' sire can this guy pass the jamb he wants to write? And how can he go bout it' sire?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by mathefaro(m): 9:56pm On Jan 13, 2015
hatux:
Actually bro' the problem is ' I have a brother who's graduated for secondary school last year as a commercial student but now he's graduated his parents told him to study a course which is a science course 'computer science'... And now the guy has been trying to go tutorials I mean lessons' stuffs like that cos he his gonna write jamb this year... So' what I actually want to ask is that' sire can this guy pass the jamb he wants to write? And how can he go bout it' sire?
to be very frank with you, your brother does not have enough time to prepare for both physics and chemistry utme for this year. It's practically impossible to get ready in less than 2 months.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 13, 2015
hatux:
Has this stopped here guys? @icecalm, mathefaro, adebayour, preboy, mesoade...
not so, I am always available, just mention. is just that I had some things occupying me.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 6:50am On Jan 14, 2015
mathefaro:
to be very frank with you, your brother does not have enough time to prepare for both physics and chemistry utme for this year. It's practically impossible to get ready in less than 2 months.
But can't he just make it? And moreover, what if he makes it in utme, is he gonna have any future problem' like when he gets to the university?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by mathefaro(m): 7:27am On Jan 14, 2015
hatux:
But can't he just make it? And moreover, what if he makes it in utme, is he gonna have any future problem' like when he gets to the university?
he has no problems in the university whatsoever as there's almost no physics not chemistry for computer science students do oh fee studies hard, he can make it. The only problem is scaling through utme and post utme for the admission. I know this because I studied computer science also
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 7:45am On Jan 14, 2015
mathefaro:
he has no problems in the university whatsoever as there's almost no physics not chemistry for computer science students do oh fee studies hard, he can make it. The only problem is scaling through utme and post utme for the admission. I know this because I studied computer science also
Ugh! I get you sire' the thing is that i had always thought when he gets to the uni, there's gonna be physics and chemistry. But now that I know, I think his mind should be at rest. The only problem now is for him passing the utme and post utme...
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Pr0ton: 9:02am On Jan 14, 2015
hatux:
Ugh! I get you sire' the thing is that i had always thought when he gets to the uni, there's gonna be physics and chemistry. But now that I know, I think his mind should be at rest. The only problem now is for him passing the utme and post utme...

...and what about his O level results? undecided He is not a science student, remember.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 9:52am On Jan 14, 2015
Pr0ton:

...and what about his O level results? undecided He is not a science student, remember.
No be Nigeria we dey bro. cheesy.. The guy has done NECO and passed in both subjects, I mean both chemistry and physics... But you know all those exams are not to compare with JAMB' that's what bothering him.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by adebayour26: 1:43pm On Jan 14, 2015
icecalm:
not so, I am always available, just mention. is just that I had some things occupying me.

Same thing with me but I'll start making myself available from now.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by adebayour26: 1:51pm On Jan 14, 2015
@hatux, am not trying to discourage you but let me start by saying that the bulk of the work rest on your brother, I mean his willingness to learn. Honestly, crossing over to science is not an easy thing.

Let him be strong in his decision, if he is not too happy with it, let him go back to commercial class.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2015
adebayour26:

Same thing with me but I'll start making myself available from now.
okay.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by tunzkid(m): 6:45pm On Jan 14, 2015
ADMISSION! ADMISSION!! ADMISSION !!!
ijmb: Easiest Way 2 gain
Admission Into 200
Level In Nigerian
University Without
JAMB!!!
INTERIM JOINT
MATRICULATION BOARD
EXAMINATION: GAIN
ADMISSION INTO 200
LEVELS IN NIGERIAN
UNIVERSITY WITHOUT JAMB. Application
forms are now on sale for ijmb (Interim
Joint
Matriculation Board Examination)
2015/2016 Session. It is a
ONE-YEAR intensive
programme to qualify you
for FEB 2015/2016 IJMBE . Candidate is to
select any
THREE (3) A/L SUBJECTS
biology, Mathematics
&Geography for Sciences,
Economics, Business management,
Accounts,
Government, Sociology,
CRS/IRS, Literature for
Arts/Social Sciences/
Humanities candidates.
On completing the programme, successful
candidates will gain
admission into 200 level in
the Universities.
ADMISSION
REQUIREMENTS
(a) five O/ L credit passes as contain in
jamb
brochure (b) Awaiting result can also apply
but O/L result must be available
before University admission
in September 2016 ijmb
ACCEPTABILITY over 70% of
university in Nigeria accept ijmb result for
direct entry
admission into 200 level
check page 3 of jamb
brochure for confirmation.
The following universities
accept ijmb e.g UNILORIN, ABU, UNIJOS,
FUTMINNA,
FUTA, UNIABUJA,
BUK,KWASU,FUT YOLA,
RIVER STATE UNIVERSITY
OF SCI/TECH, CROSS RIVER
STATE UNIVERSIY, DELTA STATE
UNIVERSITY,BENUE
STATE UNIVERSITY, All
private universities, all
universities in the north and
South-South of Nigeria e.t.c.
ACCOMODATION
few spaces are available for
accommodation
on first
come firstserve basis.
NOTE:
Sales of admission form and
registration will close very
soon. Hurry now to purchase form as you
are
guaranteed a place in 200
Level in a Nigerian University
FREQUENTLY
ASKED
QUESTION:
1. Someone told me that ijmb is difficult to
pass. It is a total lie. Once
you are an average student
you can always make your
maximum point. If students
in the past have been able to make
maximum
point, you
can also make it. If
Cambridge ‘A’ level syllabus
is almost (x2) that of ijmb,
yet students still pass in the
examination. Why won’t you be able to
pass
ijmb?
Believe in yourself and be
determined to make success
out of the programme and
other endeavors. Don’t
allow detractors elude you your dreams.
2. What is the
duration of the
programme? It takes less
than 10months.
3. What is
the validity of the result?
The result obtained can be used to procure
admission
for at least 5 years.
4. I
heard that they used to give
fake result. Once you are
registered in an accredited
examination centre your result comes from
ABU,
ZARIA. OUR STRONGHOLDS
1. Intensive lectures and
adequate class rooms.
Conducive environment.
Seasoned and dedicated
experienced lecturers.
Comprehensive tutorial.
5. Yearly successive
achievement in terms of
student result
6. Conducive
accommodation for our
students. CONTACT ADMIN on
or 08187767982
REGISTRATION STILL IN PROGRESS !!!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2015
adebayour26:
@hatux, am not trying to discourage you but let me start by saying that the bulk of the work rest on your brother, I mean his willingness to learn. Honestly, crossing over to science is not an easy thing.

Let him be strong in his decision, if he is not too happy with it, let him go back to commercial class.
Sire' this guy is ready to work... His love for computers make him wanna study 'computer science' in the university... He also knows its not an easy thing and I hope he's happy with it... Thanks for the advice' sire#Bless
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 2:25am On Jan 16, 2015
hatux:
My sincere apologizes to everyone, I did a self examination on biology and the failure made me lose morale to learn other subjects, I've been head over heels with biology for the past two weeks... but now I wanna resume chemistry so as to balance things up
Would you guys please elaborate on "Periodic table and its Terms"

@hatux, it gonna be hard for an art student doing a science course bt it all depends on him tho. The harder part is the course he is going for, I being a programmer sure knows that computer science is no joking matter, so if he isn't good with computers and its languages, I'd advice he stick to what works for him.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 6:28am On Jan 16, 2015
Preboy:

My sincere apologizes to everyone, I did a self examination on biology and the failure made me lose morale to learn other subjects, I've been head over heels with biology for the past two weeks... but now I wanna resume chemistry so as to balance things up
Would you guys please elaborate on "Periodic table and its Terms"

@hatux, it gonna be hard for an art student doing a science course bt it all depends on him tho. The harder part is the course he is going for, I being a programmer sure knows that computer science is no joking matter, so if he isn't good with computers and its languages, I'd advice he stick to what works for him.
Bro' this guy is a commercial student.. And he knows little bout computers, but I dunno bout 'em languages.. Bro' this is what this guy has choose to do, I've tried convincing him to go with his commercial line he wouldn't listen....
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 16, 2015
hatux:
Bro' this guy is a commercial student.. And he knows little bout computers, but I dunno bout 'em languages.. Bro' this is what this guy has choose to do, I've tried convincing him to go with his commercial line he wouldn't listen....
since his mind is made up, maybe he really is that good with computers, as for him writing jamb now, ah dunno since its remaining juz 1 month... it depends on the guy sha
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by hatux: 7:40am On Jan 16, 2015
Preboy:

since his mind is made up, maybe he really is that good with computers, as for him writing jamb now, ah dunno since its remaining juz 1 month... it depends on the guy sha
Yeah bro... Thanks so much!#Appreciate
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by lisimmo(m): 7:10am On Jan 22, 2015
Jamb examination is already here

Practice JAMB, POST UTME CBT questions online for free. You can compare your scores with other aspirants and candidate nationwide. You can also monitor your improvement.

at www.e-testpedia.com

Sample questions below:

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Pr0ton: 6:32pm On Jan 25, 2015
Microflux Mathefaro Hatux Icecalm Mesoade and others. Please guys help me with this question.

Copper reacts with oxygen to form two oxides; X and Y. On analysis, 1.535g of X yieled 1.365g of cupper and 1.450g of Y yieled 1.160g of copper.

a. Determine the chemical formula of X and Y.

b. Calculate the mass of copper which can react when 0.5g of oxygen to yield X and Y.

c. Which of the laws of chemical combination is illustrated by the result above?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by mathefaro(m): 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:
Microflux Mathefaro Hatux Icecalm Mesoade and others. Please guys help me with this question.

Copper reacts with oxygen to form two oxides; X and Y. On analysis, 1.535g of X yieled 1.365g of cupper and 1.450g of Y yieled 1.160g of copper.

b. Calculate the mass of copper which can react when 0.5g of oxygen to yield X and Y.

c. Which of the laws of chemical combination is illustrated by the result above?
will post the answers tomorrow morning but the concept is all about the law of multiple proportion and empirical formula
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

Copper will combine to form two Oxides with Oxygen based on the condition of the reactions. And in each mole of the Oxides formed, only  half the mole of Oxygen gas will be involved in the reaction.
a-- The chemical formula of X is Cu2O {Copper(I)Oxide} and that of Y is CuO {Copper(II)Oxide}
prove:
on analysis 1.535g of X yielded 1.365g of Cu. ( where 1.535g is the mass of both Copper and Oxygen in the sample X)
therefore the mass of Oxygen alone in the sample X will be given by 1.535g–1.365g=0.17g.
So the mass of Oxygen in sample X is 0.17g
taking comparison of the masses making up X and the masses in one mole of X for both copper and Oxygen, we have;
1.365g/0.17g=P/16g  (where P is the mass of Cu in one mole of X)
cross multiply;
P=1.365g×16g/0.17g
P=128.5g
To get the number of moles of Cu that makes up P mass of 128.5g of Copper, we divided the reacting mass (P) by the molar mass of Cu which is 64g;
n=128.5g/64g=2mol
So therefore, there are two moles of Copper in the gas with just a half mole of Oxygen, giving rise to the chemical formula of X as: Cu2O

similarly, on analysis 1.450g of Y yielded 1.160g of Cu. ( where 1.450g is the mass of both Copper and Oxygen in the sample Y)
therefore the mass of Oxygen alone in the sample Y will be given by 1.450g–1.160g=0.29g.
So the mass of Oxygen in sample Y is 0.29g
taking comparison of the masses making up Y and the masses in one mole of Y for both Copper and Oxygen, we have;
1.450g/0.29g=H/16g  (where H is the mass of Cu in one mole of Y)
cross multiply;
H=1.450g×16g/0.29g
H=64g
To get the number of moles of Cu that makes up H mass of 64g of Copper, we divided the reacting mass (H) by the molar mass of Cu which is 64g;
n=64g/64g=1mol
So therefore, there is only a mole of Copper in the gas with just a single mole of Oxygen, giving rise to the chemical formula of Y as: CuO

b-- The mass of Copper that will react with 0.5g of Oxygen to form X and Y is 2.745g ≈ 3g.
Prove;
since the total mass of Copper in X and Y samples is given as: 1.365g+1.160g=2.525g and that of Oxygen as: 0.17g+0.29g=0.46g
so 2.525g of Copper requires 0.46g of Oxygen to form X and Y
By comparison for the mass of Copper that will react with 0.5g of Oxygen to form X and Y in a similar manner as the former, we have that;
A/2.525g=0.5/0.46
cross multiply to have;
A=0.5×2.525/0.46
A=2.745g
A≈3g

c-- The law represented by the result above is the Law of multiple proportion.

Am available anytime just mention
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Pr0ton: 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2015
Wow Icecalm shocked You must be a genius! Thanks very much cool I was embarassed when I couldn't answer the guy who brought the question to me embarassed

Could you kindly tell me some of the topics I need to deal with to be able to answer questions like this? smiley
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 28, 2015
Pr0ton:
Wow Icecalm shocked You must be a genius! Thanks very much cool I was embarassed when I couldn't answer the guy who brought the question to me embarassed

Could you kindly tell me some of the topics I need to deal with to be able to answer questions like this? smiley
study empirical formula and molecular formula, molecules and molecular mass, atomic mass and moles, rules for writing and balance chemical equations, quantitative analysis, laws of chemical combination and be good at taking proportion and et al.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Pr0ton: 12:42pm On Jan 28, 2015
icecalm:
study empirical formula and molecular formula, molecules and molecular mass, atomic mass and moles, rules for writing and balance chemical equations, quantitive analysis, laws of chemical combination and be good at taking proportion and et al.

ha! I'm grateful.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Bhuumhite(f): 1:47pm On Jan 28, 2015
icecalm:
QUESTIONS

(1)25cm³ of HCl was used to neutralize 50cm³ of 0.5M solution of Sodium Hydroxide, calculate the concentration of the Acid.
let + indicate acid and -indicate Base (CV)+/(CV)-=a/b mole
equation of reaction
HCl + Na(OH) → NaCl+ H2O
C×25cm³/0.5M×50cm³=1/1mol (cross multiple )
C=50cm³×0.5M/25cm³=1M

(2) The pH of an Acid is 1.8, find the concentration of hydrogen ion in the Acid. (hint 1.6×10ⁿ)

pH=1.8 ( Acidic)
pH=—logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration to base 10
log[H+]=–1.8= –2+0.2=pronounced bar 2.2 (with the first digit (2) having a pronounced bar, hence the characteristics of the log and the other the mantassi)
Now find the antilog of pronuonced bar 2.2: ignore the characteristics find the antilog of the mantassi 2 from antilog table or simply punch 10^0.2 on a calc. you will get 1.5849.
H+= 1.58×10-²
NB:pronounced bar 2 will give a negative two as the power of the antilog of pronounced bar 2.2 in standard form, thus,
H+= 1.6×10-²
the first workings isn't right,the ration of the acid and base ought to be 1/1,it's NaOH nt Na(OH)2
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 28, 2015
Pr0ton:

ha! I'm grateful.
u are welcome
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 28, 2015
Bhuumhite:
the first workings isn't right,the ration of the acid and base ought to be 1/1,it's NaOH nt Na(OH)2
Lmoa, I been drink when i solve that thing that very day? nawa o. choi......... thanks, you are very correct dear. I will edit it now, please modify your quote and clean mine or edit the error. thanks again
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
Back

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FGGC Owerri Wins First Overall in 2016/2017 WAEC Examinations / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Studying Law? / Which Of These Statements Will Make A Student Jump Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.