Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? (2155 Views)

Onovo Describes Buhari’s Government As Nigeria’s Greatest Danger Since 1960 / 5 Most Handsome Nigerian Presidents Since 1960(photos) / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:22pm On Dec 02, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
-Chief Obafemi Awolowo
-Alfred Diette-Spiff.

^^^You forgot to add Adekunle!
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2014
Orikinla:

Alfred Papapreye Diete-Spiff was the first Governor of Rivers State,happened to be my father's friend.
He was governor from the young age of 25! And until July 1975 during the military administration of General Yakubu Gowon and this administration remains the best so far in the history of Nigeria.
The military governors were young and competed to outperform each other.
You're right. He became the first Governor of Rivers State in 1967. I saw the banner marking his 70th birthday in Point Block, Government House, Port Harcourt in 2012. I won't be wrong if I say he built Port Harourt. Some of the notable infrastructures there like the secretariat complex, township, flyover, etc, were built by him. He also constructed the East-West Road. PABOD, the nomenclature for the three districts the old Rivers State was divided into was his brainchild. They're Port Harcourt, Andoni and Bori districts.
He is the Amanayabo of Toun Brass, Bayelsa State.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by LogicPower(m): 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2014
Orikinla:
In the melodramatic political history of Nigeria since the political independence from British colonial rule on October 1, 1960 to date, Nigerian politicians have come to the political arena in different characters, colours and contours of the human personality, the good, the bad and the ugly.
My favourite politician remains the great iconic founder of modern Yoruba political kingdom, Chief Obafemi Awolowo of blessed memory.
Of all the Nigerian politicians, he achieved more for his Yoruba tribe than others of his generation.

Who is your favourite Nigerian politician?

In Nigeria, asking a question like this is akin to asking 'what is your tribe?', because each poster is almost certainly going to mention a politician from his/her tribe as his/her best Nigerian politician, just as the OP himself has done.

You would hardly ever find a poster (especially from the major 3 ethnic groups) choosing a 'favourite politician' or role model from an ethnic group other than their own. For instance, you wouldn't find Obinna saying Awo is his hero, or Tunde saying Sardauna is his hero, or Musa calling Ojukwu his hero. We all find our political heroes from within the narrow confines of our respective ethnic groups, which is a shame!

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by abbakacici: 6:38pm On Dec 02, 2014
there are huge different between good administrator and a good politicians because a good administrator can be a bad politicians example Kayode of Ekiti, because although a decent governor but couldnt be reelected because he fight with huge voting bloc (civil servant) which make him is bad politician.

thus Good politicians are adept at identifying and seizing on issues that will work to their own or their party's benefit, the better ones possess an additional skill: they know how to use the system to achieve results. They understand where in the government bureaucracy to get help for a constituent, and they think creatively about how to use the congressional process and their colleagues' interests to advance their policy goal.

so while good administrator from 1999 to date are
Donald Duke.
Fashola
Goodwil
Yardua

while a good politician can be a bad administrator example Bukola saraki and Ahmad Sani Yerima though bad governor but they know how to play the games of political example saraki make it look to the whole people of kwara that he is willing to fight his own family for them, while Yerima is the only politician in recent times that help 2 of his god son to become a governors.

Good politician are
Kwankwaso
Tinibu
Yerima
saraki

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Adminisher: 7:06pm On Dec 02, 2014
Awolowo, Murtala Muhammed, Buhari.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by 99100(m): 7:47pm On Dec 02, 2014
IBB stands tall. He always has an answer to any question.

I was reading an interview some years back and the interviewer asked him a question.

The question was like this ;

Interviewer : Sir ,in the said attack on your convoy, we learnt that everyone in the vehicle that was carrying you died except you. Sir how did you make it unscathed?

IBB : Those that died what is their rank ?

The interview answered. ( probably far his subordinates.)

IBB : And what is my rank

Interviewer : General ,sir.

IBB :That was the reason i came out unscathed from the attack.

Though it was speculated that IBB disappeared from the scene.

NB : Op asked for favourite politician and not favourite leader.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by bewla(m): 8:03pm On Dec 02, 2014
Orikinla:
In the melodramatic political history of Nigeria since the political independence from British colonial rule on October 1, 1960 to date, Nigerian politicians have come to the political arena in different characters, colours and contours of the human personality, the good, the bad and the ugly.
My favourite politician remains the great iconic founder of modern Yoruba political kingdom, Chief Obafemi Awolowo of blessed memory.
Of all the Nigerian politicians, he achieved more for his Yoruba tribe than others of his generation.

Who is your favourite Nigerian politician?
any how god dey ooooo
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 02, 2014
99100:
IBB stands tall. He always has an answer to any question.

I was reading an interview some years back and the interviewer asked him a question.

The question was like this ;

Interviewer : Sir ,in the said attack on your convoy, we learnt that everyone in the vehicle that was carrying you died except you. Sir how did you make it unscathed?

IBB : Those that died what is their rank ?

The interview answered. ( probably far his subordinates.)

IBB : And what is my rank

Interviewer : General ,sir.

IBB :That was the reason i came out unscathed from the attack.

Though it was speculated that IBB disappeared from the scene.

NB : Op asked for favourite politician and not favourite leader.

IBB is one of the most misunderstood Nigerians

He made mistakes but he was one of Nigeria's most transformational leader!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Adminisher: 10:34pm On Dec 02, 2014
mikeansy:

IBB was a very intelligent man but not an intellectual ...you always come away with that impression at every interview. Philosophically though, this is a low mentality man (as Fela would say). To get and retain power he turned himself a prostitute to every power centre in the world; CIA, drugs, economic hit men et.c . He transformed Nigeria negatively because he did not understand the right dose and sequence of western imposed economic conditions to apply. He was also extremely corrupt and destroyed the Nigerian Army, airforce and navy. No, definitely his kind is very low mentality. The only reason someone can admire the guy is at a personal level, he is charming and generous...otherwise this guy was a real blunderer. Generationally he and Abacha were the reason why Nigeria is behind Dubal, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brazil and every other third world country we don't compare well against in infrastructure and power generation/distribution.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by pazienza(m): 10:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
Michael Okpara.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 02, 2014
Studying IBB's politics and policies as a military head of state, and the views he has expressed and advocated over time whether as a statesman or as a politician seeking election I think you can describe him as a libertarian.

He is however the only politician in his class who by deeds and words you can say this is where he belong. I don't think the rest have a focused ideology.

He made mistakes but to question his brilliance? Mmmmmm

In the last election in 2011, in his short campaign he was the only one who publicly was advocating true federalism, leaner government, devolution of power, state policing. You can question his honesty because of our unfortunate history but u can't fault IBB's brilliance!

To have the Forsight to know what the true remedies to Nigeria's problems and inspire people to coalesce around a philosophy is priceless.

As head of state his SAP programme may not have delivered the intended benefits but at the time given the international economic order it was adjudged to be a wise programme to undertake and IBB had the charisma to sell the programme and make Nigerians believe in it. Research shows that these programmes started well and were well crafted but poorly executed. Hence why it ultimately failed.

There are countless number of institutions that can be traced back to the IBB years.

I am also sure IBB regrets not handing over to Abiola.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by pazienza(m): 11:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
I see some people rewriting history of Ph here already? Who exactly is Spiff? Nonsense.

It was Michael Okpara, the premier of the Eastern region that laid down the blue print for the greatness of Ph.

He recognized the fact that Enugu, being in the hinterland,might not be able to out compete lagos. So he chose to make a Lagos out of Ph. He created the Trans Amadi industrial estate, over saw the relocation of Shell from Owerri to Ph.

With only palm oil and Coal, Okpara was able to transform the Eastern region economy, as one of the fastest growing economy in the world, he simply was a man of vision, he had no equal.

Okpara was so consumed by the desire to develop all parts of the Eastern region, he had no wealth of his own,no companies when he left politics,he never enriched himself with the public fund, a small house in his Ohuhu hometown was all he had at the end of it all.

A perfect example of the kind of leaders Republic of Alaigbo can produce, once free of the toxic influence of one Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by atlwireles: 11:14pm On Dec 02, 2014
Two men stand out for me, lateef Jakande and IBB, 1985-1989, the soldier politician
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Ayesman(m): 11:17pm On Dec 02, 2014
menix:
Dim Emeka Ojukwu for his guts...

For running?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 02, 2014
customized13:
sam mbakwe
Sam Mbakwe, Aminu Kano and M.I Okpara.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by menix(m): 11:21pm On Dec 02, 2014
Ayesman:

For running?

Bro.. Wat do u guyz benefit frm online trouble nd fights wen certainly u dare not talk bak real life..
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 02, 2014
Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

He is a true democrat and a perfect gentleman!

No amount of deception from the opposition will stop me from voting for him come 2015.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Jesusloveyou: 11:48pm On Dec 02, 2014
My political mentor-awo.assisted by ambrose ali,my millitary mentor-murtala,assisted by buhari.my activist mentor-Gani assisted by femi falana.among D ones alive are buhari/falana.Vote buhari/falana or buhari/fashola,or utomi.for a better tomoro.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 03, 2014
Chiwude:
Sam Mbakwe, Aminu Kano and M.I Okpara.
yap, Michael okpara is also a good one.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by johnbuck81(m): 8:34am On Dec 03, 2014
docsholz:
abeg what is southern Nigeria?
go ask ur paaaaapa.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by nku5: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2014
Ii
pazienza:
I see some people rewriting history of Ph here already? Who exactly is Spiff? Nonsense.

It was Michael Okpara, the premier of the Eastern region that laid down the blue print for the greatness of Ph.

He recognized the fact that Enugu, being in the hinterland,might not be able to out compete lagos. So he chose to make a Lagos out of Ph. He created the Trans Amadi industrial estate, over saw the relocation of Shell from Owerri to Ph.

With only palm oil and Coal, Okpara was able to transform the Eastern region economy, as one of the fastest growing economy in the world, he simply was a man of vision, he had no equal.

Okpara was so consumed by the desire to develop all parts of the Eastern region, he had no wealth of his own,no companies when he left politics,he never enriched himself with the public fund, a small house in his Ohuhu hometown was all he had at the end of it all.

A perfect example of the kind of leaders Republic of Alaigbo can produce, once free of the toxic influence of one Nigeria.

Spot on bros. Do you know that Okpara didn't own more than one house? Despite being in charge of allocation of land. His house in GRA Enugu was very very modest.

Do you also know that the Federal Mortgage Bank of today was also an initiative of the Eastern Region? It was hijacked by the FG in the name of nationalisation and rendered moribund for decades until the recent resurgence.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Kei144(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2014
Mbakwe was a great humble man. In 1990, I walked into the office of late Garba Wushishi and met him with a man. Garba Wushishi asked me, "Don't you know him? Onunaka Mbakwe!" I was filled with awe, as a young man, for the opportunity of meeting the great name in person. I greeted him, and he replied, "Nwa m, kedu ka imere."
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by pazienza(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2014
nku5:
Ii

Spot on bros. Do you know that Okpara didn't own more than one house? Despite being in charge of allocation of land. His house in GRA Enugu was very very modest.

Do you also know that the Federal Mortgage Bank of today was also an initiative of the Eastern Region? It was hijacked by the FG in the name of nationalisation and rendered moribund for decades until the recent resurgence.

Nwanna, i know, my father can't just stop talking of Okpara, he said that he was the greatest Igbo leader there ever was.

He never took one kobo from the public purse, he was so consumed with the desire to develop Igboland that he gave out his salaries to help the poor acquire education, he was a philantropist to the core,but he would never let anyone know that he was the one training you.

He was a man of great vision,he had a master plan that would see Ph out compete Lagos as the industrial and commercial capital of the Nigeria, too bad Nzeogwu and co spoilt everything.

I once visited a friend in Ohuhu Umuahia, and i took the opportunity to acquire info on Ohuhu origins,language and people,like i always do whenever i visit any Igbo town. I was shown Okpara's home in Umuahia, it was so decent and so unbefiting of the great man, but that was what made him great, he was never after his and his immediate family comfort. The guy that was giving me a tour told me that Okpara was a foolish man, that upon all the power,money and influence he had access to, that he never used it to uplift himself or his children, he never left any looted public fund for his family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Politician Since 1960 To Date? by Orikinla(m): 3:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
mikeansy:

You're right.

Nigeria was a better, richer and safer country under IBB.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can We Easily Wrest Power From Buhari If He Does Not Perform After 4 Years / . / PDP Alleges Osinbajo May Resign To Pave Way For Tinubu After Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.