Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? (5932 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? / Is Java Programming Harder Than Microsoft.net Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by asalimpo(m): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2014
@bornSad

Legacy means old. Whether it's working flawlessly or not.

On ur nepa example, fortran is obviously displaced because technology has advanced beyond it. No decent compilers, no modern development tools, etc.
No large labour pool.
Moreover, tastes hav changed.
I think eventually the next generation will just want to try something new and modern, even though in retrospect, most "new and modern" are just repeats of d old.
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by asalimpo(m): 12:44am On Dec 10, 2014
Chimanet:
Please how many of the features in vs do u use use in developing a typical application? may be data source wizard, an initial project template, code completion, build system, and consuming webservices, and may be scalfolding entitities: creating restful webservices and mvc controllers from them. now tell me which of these tasks is not possible when you code in the java sphere, even open source java sphere? my friend you see? you guys should stop the .net hype in this country. these 2 platforms can achieve the same task. may be it takes a little stress becouse in the java environment you dont get a single vendor that has it all. The java open source ecosystem is even so matured that you can build an entire enterprise app without using any standard api from oracle. .Net is a one man thing, that is why you can get everything you need from a single vendor(MS). IntelliJ might still be far from visual studio (VS has a lot of wizards that we dont even use from project to project). but it gives a good java developer everything he needs to build entire application from groundup in a reasonable amount of time

you echoed a point. Java eclipse and netbeans and intellij are already very very very powerful tools so wen these folks try to put it down compared to vs, it's clear theyre misthinking their criteria.
Vs measures in gigabytes, while netbeans is a few hundred mb (around 2-3 hundred), same as eclipse.
Keeping d size down is important,
else it will b a bigger turn off to some folks. Adding more ram just to use an ide is not tenable advice.
On d other hand lisp folks tht swear by emacs get their job done on a ~50mb editor.
But what's really d misconception,is sayng vs trumps others cuz of the auxillary fearures it offers. All of which don't comprise core developmnt features but just nice-to-haves.
Iow,vs says we are providing all you need for everythng u need for devlopmnt in one place:webservces, creating an installer,deploying, etc
while others say, we are providng what you need for core dev and some features , in one place. We wont giv u wat u'll b likely to only use 2% of d time.
For that rare feature, theyre plugins and libraries tht cud perform d task excellently.

So i think d comparison is unjustified, both camps operate different design philosophies.

Besides, vs is a commercial product,ms has to justify d hefty fees it charges per license hence d motive to overload it with features. While the main java ides are free and often created on volunteer effort,though like i said assumng the free labour pool is large enuff , free software eventually grows to rival paid alternatives,in functionzlity.
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by Nobody: 2:02am On Dec 10, 2014
asalimpo:
@bornSad

Legacy means old. Whether it's working flawlessly or not.

On ur nepa example, fortran is obviously displaced because technology has advanced beyond it. No decent compilers, no modern development tools, etc.
No large labour pool.
Moreover, tastes hav changed.
I think eventually the next generation will just want to try something new and modern, even though in retrospect, most "new and modern" are just repeats of d old.

Firstly, old and Lagacy are not same. In computing technology, "Old" means has lasted for long. "Lagacy" means no longer sufficient with respect to current needs. Do your assignment, bro. A system developed today can become legacy next year whereas one developed a year ago would still be current till next ten years. I expect to understand this subtle difference if you're actively in the industry.

That aside, I like your explanation. Fortran was replaced cause when there was time for a new system, it could not compete successfully with the competitors (I'm actually in the team so I'm sure of what I'm saying here). You also mentioned a lot of things that were considered before getting rid of it. That is exactly how technologies are compared before chosen for new system. It's a survival of the fittest. So we shouldn't tie the assurance of Java's continuity to the fact that some existing systems run on it.

Talking about something new, C# is relatively new (5 years younger). Lol
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by asalimpo(m): 9:03am On Dec 10, 2014
^^^
we'll never agree then on wat 'Legacy' means.
In english language, from which it is used in software, it means dated/old. It mayb old and working fine or old and defective.
But it refers to old systems.
Dinosaurs.
If d meaning has been bastardized to mean defunct/problematic thts too bad and it's a nigerian/industry thing.
Many people will still correct you on d misuse of d word or for d confusion it will cause.
That said, legacy systems are almost always going to b due for some overhauling,cuz their language, architecture, and performance wud already b behind current standards.

Good morning sir. How was ur night?
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2014
asalimpo:
^^^
we'll never agree then on wat 'Legacy' means.
In english language, from which it is used in software, it means dated/old. It mayb old and working fine or old and defective.
But it refers to old systems.
Dinosaurs.
If d meaning has been bastardized to mean defunct/problematic thts too bad and it's a nigerian/industry thing.
Many people will still correct you on d misuse of d word or for d confusion it will cause.
That said, legacy systems are almost always going to b due for some overhauling,cuz their language, architecture, and performance wud already b behind current standards.

Good morning sir. How was ur night?

Good morning, I hardly slept, no thanks to naughty codes. lol

Looking up the word "legacy" in English dictionary is very wrong because you will end with a common or layman definition. It is not about our respective opinions, neither is a "Nigerian thing". Any graduate of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or Information Technology will tell you that the expression, "Legacy System" means something peculiar in the field. Let us note that technical definitions are always different from dictionary definitions for different field of study. I'm sure you will agree with once you look up the expression on the Net. Once again, technically, for a system to be called Legacy, it must old, outdated and presently inefficient. Other better versions or forms of the system must have come into existence etc.. If it were all about being old (i.e. having lasted for long) one might want to ask, how long does a system have to stay before being referred to as "legacy"? The answer is, no particular time frame, it all depends on the current needs, the availability of other technologies that can solve the same problem more efficiently thus rendering the present system insufficient. Once again, a system is only referred to as legacy when its due for change and going by that definition, legacy systems have short life span as their days are always counted.

A nice day ahead. smiley
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by Springboot: 3:10pm On Sep 08, 2021
asalimpo:

Xamarin is doa, stillborn and with no momentum except for former c# programmers.
Java devs arent dumping java to learn c# because of tangarine.

Lol, 7 years later xamarin proved you wrong and it's one the best in mobile dev.
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 08, 2021
Springboot:

Lol, 7 years later xamarin proved you wrong and it's one the best in mobile dev.
Yh, java is great but it's losing market share in mobile dev.
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by airsaylongcome: 10:43am On Sep 09, 2021
Where are all the protagonists in this conversation?! It's for threads like this I originally joined NL years ago (under my main). Heavy punches thrown but apart from the little insults here and there, it was mostly a very erudite discourse. Why did a lot of them deactivate? Where are they now?

I stayed up until late at night reading every post and cross referencing.

Has IntelliJ caught up with Visual Studio? I believe Netbeans and Eclipse lost the internal battle in the Java Space. But across Languages has IntelliJ (or any of the other contenders) caught up?

After years of being away from Programming, I am slowly coming back to dev and going back to C++ using Visual Studio. So I'd really like to read about the state of things highlighted in this discourse
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by niel63(m): 11:59pm On Sep 09, 2021
Everything said here, the one that still got me is this line "what Facebook did to PHP"...
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by drealcivilceno(m): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2021
I like it when people argue. Even the intelligent ones.

Is not about who is right or wrong, it is all about which angles you present that can make things better.

For the truth, na who get muscle, money and power that is right oooh!
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by vibratingpenis: 4:21pm On Sep 14, 2021
airsaylongcome:
Where are all the protagonists in this conversation?! It's for threads like this I originally joined NL years ago (under my main). Heavy punches thrown but apart from the little insults here and there, it was mostly a very erudite discourse. Why did a lot of them deactivate? Where are they now?

I stayed up until late at night reading every post and cross referencing.

Has IntelliJ caught up with Visual Studio? I believe Netbeans and Eclipse lost the internal battle in the Java Space. But across Languages has IntelliJ (or any of the other contenders) caught up?

After years of being away from Programming, I am slowly coming back to dev and going back to C++ using Visual Studio. So I'd really like to read about the state of things highlighted in this discourse

Why don't you try python?
Re: Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? by airsaylongcome: 4:26pm On Sep 14, 2021
vibratingpenis:

Why don't you try python?
Good question. So I have tried to study Python. However I struggle with Python beiea lossely-typed language. I come from a background where u declare variables and their types before using them. The somewhat haphazard ability to declare python variables without data type has not sat very well with me

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LIfe Of A Software Engineer / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job / Is It That There Is Nothing To Code Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.