Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,048 members, 7,821,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

If We Knew They'd Support Homosexuality, Would We Have Accepted Their Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If We Knew They'd Support Homosexuality, Would We Have Accepted Their Religion? (831 Views)

Pastor Kumuyi: Election Will Be Free, Fair And Widely Accepted / self-service Leads To Homosexuality--watchtower / 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If We Knew They'd Support Homosexuality, Would We Have Accepted Their Religion? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2014
Just as I was working this morning, I got a bit worked up and decided to visit Nairaland, my best site. I saw a topic on the first page about the wedding ceremony of a Nairalander and decided to steal a look. I like to see happy moments. I saw some traditional pictures and I said to myself, "this is great, the wife is pretty pretty and the hubby is quite cool". I scrolled down some more and saw the pictures of their white wedding and wow, "awesome" was the only word I could think off.

I looked at the two sets of pictures again and a thought came to me: how come Christianity/Islam has not been able to wipe away the concept of traditional wedding just the way it did to other things? But isn't it funny what we do? Doing wedding traditionally all the way like the forefathers and later going to church putting on white as if we are too holy to spell "TRAD". Can't we choose one? Are we still confused about which God to follow even till now? Or are we are seeing some shortcomings in the white man's approach when it comes to wedding? No dowries, funny? Before you say it, I know traditional wedding is a just a tradition and not anti-church. It has noting to do with village gods and can go side by side with white wedding. But then, a lot of things that were "just tradition" are either fading away or have faded away too. What if one refuses to do it? What's the implication? We hear such stories about the spirit of a dead woman not at peace cause she was never properly married into the husband's family the right way and yet I am told traditional marriage is "just a tradition". Ok, that's cool.

They say a thought leads to another and I was not willing to break the chain of thoughts so I went on to the next line of thought in my mind. Christianity/Islam has wiped away a lot of things. We have been convinced that most of the things our fore fathers where doing before the advent of Christianity/Islam were either self deceit, diabolical, inhuman or extreme. We were told our ways were just imperfect. We accepted not withstanding the fact that the incoming religions were not free of imperfections too. We accepted to get rid of our former ways not because we saw them as wrong but because our masters said they were wrong. Gradually, we've dropping our culture for that of the Western world, after all, what's the harm in it? Everybody like it, so why not? We saw their ways are better, efficient and modern. Once again, everyone was pleased, so why not? They kept on penetrating us and we kept on succumbing and gradually, we kept on dropping our culture. No one was antagonised, so why not? No questions were asked, no selectivity was made. It was all good. What they said we should do did not conform to our African culture but we took them all in cause there were sweet and pleasant.

Then it came the moment when they dropped the bomb. And we started shouting, this is not our culture! (the same culture we have been dropping gradually). This is not in conformity with biblical teachings (the same bible they taught us). Their way of life is bad(yet we were taking it in all this while). These people do not wish us well, they are not our friends etc. Yes, this time, it is homosexuality and only the unfortunate minority were pleased but they can go to hell. The majority didn't like it and that's final. They do not know better than we do. They have spoiled their country and now want to spoil ours, never! We now know better.

Funny enough, nobody dares to shout, "Oh and we have been deceived into accepting their religion. We should have know it would come to this. How I wish I could see Amadioha/Songo to apologise for this mistake". Of course, no one says this because it has been indoctrinated into us to believe it is a critical sin. Still thinking, today, we are killing ourselves because of these new religions, could it be our punishment for abandoning our old Gods? Could it be that Amadioha/Songo foresaw this and decided to leave us to face it since we ignorantly abandoned them? Could they be laughing at us now in their godly bear parlour? To the best of mu knowledge, our ancient gods tolerated one another.

And then came the big questions; If we had known westerners had such minds to tolerate and even support homosexuality, would we have ever considered accepting their way of life to the extent of discarding our religion for theirs? If they had declared their support for homosexuality as of the time they introduced Christianity, would it have been acceptable to do? If they brought another religion today, would we accept? Could all these be functions of SPACE AND TIME then?

**Still thinking.....**

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If We Knew They'd Support Homosexuality, Would We Have Accepted Their Religion? by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 06, 2015
Still taughtin', too

BornSad:
Just as I was working this morning, I got a bit worked up and decided to visit Nairaland, my best site. I saw a topic on the first page about the wedding ceremony of a Nairalander and decided to steal a look. I like to see happy moments. I saw some traditional pictures and I said to myself, "this is great, the wife is pretty pretty and the hubby is quite cool". I scrolled down some more and saw the pictures of their white wedding and wow, "awesome" was the only word I could think off.

I looked at the two sets of pictures again and a thought came to me: how come Christianity/Islam has not been able to wipe away the concept of traditional wedding just the way it did to other things? But isn't it funny what we do? Doing wedding traditionally all the way like the forefathers and later going to church putting on white as if we are too holy to spell "TRAD". Can't we choose one? Are we still confused about which God to follow even till now? Or are we are seeing some shortcomings in the white man's approach when it comes to wedding? No dowries, funny? Before you say it, I know traditional wedding is a just a tradition and not anti-church. It has noting to do with village gods and can go side by side with white wedding. But then, a lot of things that were "just tradition" are either fading away or have faded away too. What if one refuses to do it? What's the implication? We hear such stories about the spirit of a dead woman not at peace cause she was never properly married into the husband's family the right way and yet I am told traditional marriage is "just a tradition". Ok, that's cool.

They say a thought leads to another and I was not willing to break the chain of thoughts so I went on to the next line of thought in my mind. Christianity/Islam has wiped away a lot of things. We have been convinced that most of the things our fore fathers where doing before the advent of Christianity/Islam were either self deceit, diabolical, inhuman or extreme. We were told our ways were just imperfect. We accepted not withstanding the fact that the incoming religions were not free of imperfections too. We accepted to get rid of our former ways not because we saw them as wrong but because our masters said they were wrong. Gradually, we've dropping our culture for that of the Western world, after all, what's the harm in it? Everybody like it, so why not? We saw their ways are better, efficient and modern. Once again, everyone was pleased, so why not? They kept on penetrating us and we kept on succumbing and gradually, we kept on dropping our culture. No one was antagonised, so why not? No questions were asked, no selectivity was made. It was all good. What they said we should do did not conform to our African culture but we took them all in cause there were sweet and pleasant.

Then it came the moment when they dropped the bomb. And we started shouting, this is not our culture! (the same culture we have been dropping gradually). This is not in conformity with biblical teachings (the same bible they taught us). Their way of life is bad(yet we were taking it in all this while). These people do not wish us well, they are not our friends etc. Yes, this time, it is homosexuality and only the unfortunate minority were pleased but they can go to hell. The majority didn't like it and that's final. They do not know better than we do. They have spoiled their country and now want to spoil ours, never! We now know better.

Funny enough, nobody dares to shout, "Oh and we have been deceived into accepting their religion. We should have know it would come to this. How I wish I could see Amadioha/Songo to apologise for this mistake". Of course, no one says this because it has been indoctrinated into us to believe it is a critical sin. Still thinking, today, we are killing ourselves because of these new religions, could it be our punishment for abandoning our old Gods? Could it be that Amadioha/Songo foresaw this and decided to leave us to face it since we ignorantly abandoned them? Could they be laughing at us now in their godly bear parlour? To the best of mu knowledge, our ancient gods tolerated one another.

And then came the big questions; If we had known westerners had such minds to tolerate and even support homosexuality, would we have ever considered accepting their way of life to the extent of discarding our religion for theirs? If they had declared their support for homosexuality as of the time they introduced Christianity, would it have been acceptable to do? If they brought another religion today, would we accept? Could all these be functions of SPACE AND TIME then?

**Still thinking.....**

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If We Knew They'd Support Homosexuality, Would We Have Accepted Their Religion? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
BornSad:

**Still thinking.....**

People who don't think for themselves accept anything. Our folks have never really set about creating solutions for themselves. It's easy to imagine that they'd have accepted anything thrown at them, culture or not. They'd merely have picked and chosen, just as they do with the bible today.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Islam; Who Delay Marriages,men Or Women? / Shocking 2015 Prophecies By Bishop J. Goody -ogwama / Will Humans Live Forever On Paradise Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.