Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation (21104 Views)

Boko Haram Launches Fresh Attack On Geidam, Yobe Governor’s Home Town / 10 Feared Dead, Houses Set Ablaze As Boko Haram Launches Fresh Attacks On Borno / Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 14, 2014
December 12, 2014 Festus Owete

Delegates to the recently concluded 2014 National Conference have launched a fresh and elaborate bid to scuttle President Goodluck Jonathan’s plan to implement the report of the conference, PREMIUM TIMES can report today.

The delegates, under the aegis of Northern Delegates Forum, NDF, in a post-mortem presentation to “stakeholders, institution and leaders” of the North, rejected some of the recommendations of the Confab, which they claimed were smuggled into the final report by the Presidency.

They also restated their opposition to the process of nomination to the conference and the procedure adopted by its leadership.
In a protest letter to the Chairman of the Conference, Idris Kutigi, in July, the NDF, opposed the “draft constitution” and demanded its withdrawal from circulation.

“We call upon the leadership of the conference to discountenance and withdraw the ‘draft Constitution’ and the accompanying bills which have been circulated,” the group said.

“We urge the conference leadership to table the draft conference report which contains only the resolutions openly and officially sanctioned and adopted by delegates for validation and adoption as provided for under the National Conference Procedure Rules, 2014 and as envisaged in the Work Plan adopted.”

However, in the latest protest, the Forum, in the 35-page document dated October 15, demanded the jettisoning of the report because it contains some recommendations allegedly smuggled in by the Federal Government.
The document, which suggested the President is working to discredit and weaken the region, is being widely circulated in the region.

It specifically said the proposal for the creation of 18 news states, their capitals and local governments was brought in by the government.

It said, “The importation of a new Nigerian map into the final report with names of additional states and their boundaries, new state capitals and local governments when in effect, the Conference plenary only stopped at presenting various memos received by its relevant committee attests to the description of the conference sponsors to level up, or surpass the North in number of states and local governments, using all foul means at their disposal.”

The Forum contended that it would be “offensive to rudimentary concept of justice” should new states be created on the basis of equality without consideration for land mass, population or economic viability.

“After all, injustice is not only when equals are treated unequally, but also when unequal (s) are treated equally.”

The northern delegates also said that the conference was characterised by a range of irregularities as some items and agenda, which were not part of the original mandates of the sub-committees, were smuggled in.

It listed such items to include issues of referendum, resource democracy and creation of additional states, which it said was not based on any known constitutional criteria.

The group argued that ‘referendum’ clause was neither assigned to any of the 20 Committees as agenda item nor discussed at plenary but nonetheless found its way into the conference report as a recommendation for constitutional amendment.

On “Resource Democracy,” the group it said was brought in by the sub-committee on Environment, though the mandate fell on the Committee on Devolution of Power.

“Nonetheless, the leadership of the conference allowed voice votes to be taken on them despite vehement protestations of several occasions,” it said.

“Again, all attempts to subject voice votes to actual voting were declined by conference leadership, contrary to the rules of procedure.”

The group further alleged that the government deliberately abused both procedure and criteria for selection of delegates at the conception stage of the conference.

It alleged that the government consciously staged-managed the conference as part of a calculated plot to weaken and undermine the unity of the North, while it pursued its consolidation agenda for a greater South.

According to the group, it is on record that the government was funding and working hand-in-hand with media barons from the South, especially of Niger Delta extraction who dominate both the electronic, print and internet-based media.

“That task was to feed the nation on diets of anti-North propaganda – lies, threats, and hate speech,” it said.

The group said apart from making oral and written representations to the Conference leadership, some faith-based organisations and Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, also made physical representations to both Mr. Jonathan and his deputy, Namadi Sambo, on disagreeable issues that arose in the course of the conference, but that there was no remediation whatsoever.

It claimed that the protest to the president was, instead, greeted with ‘addendum list’, which neither impressed, nor assuage the fears of the vast majority of Nigerians, and Northerners in particular.

“In fact, to insult the sensibilities of the North, the addendum list was made up of three legal practitioners from the South, with ties to the present government.”

It also said when the conference insisted on voting over the contentious issue of revenue derivation as it currently stands, the conference once again resorted to “escapism by hiding under the recommendation of the conference’s wise men committee to refer the matter back to the presidency, in favour of an advisory committee to settle the matter, amicably.”

The group therefore demanded that the Draft Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 2014,” should be jettisoned while all decisions touching on the constitutional amendments as “proposed Amendments to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999”.

It also called for the rejection of any documents purporting to be “Proposed Bills to Adopt a Draft Constitution, 2014.”

The group also demanded the rejection of the new map of Nigeria with additional states, and local governments, and instead subject all requests to scrutiny based on constitutional and other criteria.

It also asked the government to decline approval of diaspora voting and upward review of revenue allocation formula for oil producing states, which it said was as agreed by the confab.

However, the spokesperson of the conference, Akpandem James, debunked the group’s claims.

He said, “If any of the states meets the conditions then that they can be created. But these are merely recommendations and it is left for the government to accept or reject. If you look at those requests, many of them cannot qualify.

“The Conference did not create states. The Conference made recommendations based on proposals and the Conference made conditions for the creation of states.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/173189-exclusive-north-launches-fresh-attack-on-jonathan-wants-implementation-of-national-conference-report-halted.html

2 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Uncleodi(m): 6:16am On Dec 14, 2014
Na wa oh
Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 14, 2014
It matters not to me who opposes or accepts that charade called Confab, my number 1 priority is to vote out GEJ come 2015.

122 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Trut(m): 6:30am On Dec 14, 2014
The North always oppose every action of this govt, after they will say GEJ is dividing Nigeria on ethnic line.

I know that slaves will defend their slave masters on this thread.

161 Likes 14 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Trut(m): 6:33am On Dec 14, 2014
Maple:
It matters not to me who opposes or accepts that charade called Confab, my number 1 priority is to vote out GEJ come 2015.

You have only 1 vote.

183 Likes 17 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by OtunbaJega: 6:33am On Dec 14, 2014
Who the hell will accept the outcome of that Jamboree... Tinubu was right after all..

Operation Kick Out Cluelessness & Corruption

BTW, I have 38 secured votes from my circle for the able peoples general. Can I hear you say, Sai Buhari!!!!!

Click like if you think the confab was just a jamboree

130 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by OtunbaJega: 6:33am On Dec 14, 2014
Trut:

You have only 1 vote.
...and you have 1million abi?

67 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Trut(m): 6:36am On Dec 14, 2014
OtunbaJega:

...and you have 1million abi?

I have 1 vote. What makes him think his/her single vote can vote out GEJ?

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by gratiaeo(m): 6:40am On Dec 14, 2014
With this backward thinking Nigeria will never move an inch.
And somebody will want me to vote for northern candidate? God forbid!

144 Likes 10 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by gratiaeo(m): 6:41am On Dec 14, 2014
Trut:
The North always every action of this govt, after they will say GEJ is dividing Nigeria on ethnic line.

Soon, the slave will defend their slave masters on this thread.
Bible says; Fear north

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by queenna1: 6:44am On Dec 14, 2014
We all knew most of those states will never be created. How do you explain an almost empty and tiny land getting same or more number of states than where people actually live

13 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by kingzjay(m): 6:45am On Dec 14, 2014
The more fury they get...the more bomings...more killings! God have mercy!

4 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by vedaxcool(m): 6:46am On Dec 14, 2014
grin grin j Jonathan and his minion op once again shows their real intention for Nigeria, division and destruction, how else can we explain the division of Nigeria into north and south? The sectarian bigot op failed to realize that the north he now refer to is the same one he expect to reelect his clueless boss and is composed of not only Hausa and Fulani whom he lives to hate but many ethnic group. But the biggest blow comes from the fact that the article exposes gej as a greedy clueless drunk who lies, cheat and decieves the people he leads, why is he smuggling mischief into what has been agreed upon? Why does he abuse his power only for evil? Why doesn't he smuggle the chibok girls back to their parents? Why is he so bereft of goodness? What sort leader of sows secessionist rubbish from the very place that is suppose sow unity? True Nigerians would tell such a man no enough of the cruelty and wickedness go back to otueke!

#Nigeriansrejectcluessness

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by lonelydora: 6:46am On Dec 14, 2014
How Nigeria wan take better? My beloved Biafra where are thou art? Come quickly

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 14, 2014
The foolish report that called for creation of more states right?
I expect Buhari when he resumes to tear it down and expunged it from our records. It's a shameful report.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 14, 2014
For the Buhari online dogs still hoping against hope to defeat GEJ in 2015, I have bad news for you. It is a settled matter because we have seen the result of the election already. GEJ won again, though not with the wide margin that we expected. Anyway victory na victory. Therefore, the contest is over, even Tinubu is aware though not sure if the serial loser himself, Buhari, knows.

Meanwhile, back to the topic.

106 Likes 8 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 14, 2014
Let me wake up, i will come back

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Trut(m): 6:47am On Dec 14, 2014
I just wish Nigeria can divide, I am tired of bearing same country name with backward people. They scream and accuses others what they're guilty of, Nigeria is backward today is because the North.

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by babasaxo(f): 6:48am On Dec 14, 2014
Please return all our money and allowances you collected before,during and after the confab,barawos

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by coolzeal(m): 6:48am On Dec 14, 2014
Boko Haram North, North opposes this and that, North want power to themselves alone. Ain't we tired of this people already. Sometimes I wonder if the North are the only region in this nation.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by otijah(m): 6:49am On Dec 14, 2014
I thank God say tompolo don buy that 6 war ships or cannon or whateva. Because if buari or articu or whosoeva put head there for 2015 even if GEJ loose. I pity northerners even boko boys will feel our impact.
So they beta allow GEJ to finish his remaining 4 years oooo OR......
#GEJ...2019

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by lilmax(m): 6:50am On Dec 14, 2014
Backward people

8 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by onadana: 6:50am On Dec 14, 2014
Since they are now protesting after collecting our money...confab allawee.....are they returning it back.Greedy pigs and thieves.The north....Nigeria's problem since 1914.

30 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by NotNairalandi(m): 6:51am On Dec 14, 2014
They ar doing it in vain!.....GEJ till Yaradua resurects from the grave!

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Trut(m): 6:51am On Dec 14, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
For the Buhari online dogs still hoping against hope to defeat GEJ in 2015, I have bad news for you. It is a settled matter because we have seen the result of the election already. GEJ won again, though not with the wide margin that we expected. Anyway victory na victory. Therefore, the contest is over, even Tinubu is aware though not sure if the serial loser himself, Buhari, knows.

Meanwhile, back to the topic.

Do you want to cause heart attack to Janjaweeeeeeds?

35 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Handsomeemmy(m): 6:52am On Dec 14, 2014
As long as they refused to give the Igbomina people of Kwara,Osun and the yoruba people of Kogi their state , recommendation on state creation must be revisited.

3 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by vedaxcool(m): 6:52am On Dec 14, 2014
gratiaeo:

Bible says; Fear north

Mumu, have you heard of north america? Europe sits in the north, russia sits north, china sits north, in fact the term global north is used to refer to the countries i listed, countries that are industrialized and first economy.but guess gej propaganda have destroyed any useful cells in your compos mentis!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by bewla(m): 6:52am On Dec 14, 2014
Maple:
i go with u also my wife likes the conment TWO VOTE

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by Innodon(m): 6:53am On Dec 14, 2014
those northerners never wanted anything development

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: North Launches Fresh Attack On GEJ, Opposes Confab Implementation by henryobinna(m): 6:55am On Dec 14, 2014
na wa oh..

different nonsense everyday

this is the one reason I believe our northern brothers are not ready for change.

forget all these campaign on the internet.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fake Blind Beggars Using Rented Kids, Arrested In Anambra (Photos) / Ganduje: Court Dismisses Bribery Case Against Governor / Obasanjo Is A Disgrace To Nigeria – Nabena, APC National Publicity Secretary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.