Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,207 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Passport Retention By Uk Embassy - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passport Retention By Uk Embassy (9088 Views)

Deported Nigerians Paid £3000 By UK Boarder Agency But Money Was Seized / REFUSAL Of Visa And Seizure Of Passport By UK Embassy / Introduction Letter To UK Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 11:04am On Dec 17, 2014
Hello House, on Nov 26th i was at the uk vfs to pick my application .Upon opening the package,i discovered my passport was not inside,but the note inside the pack said my passport has been retained "The passport that you were intending to travel with, as detailed above has been retained, as we are not satisfied that the document satisfactorily estabilishes your identity and nationality. This is in view of the fact that a previous UK visa application was made in 2009 using identity consistent with those provided in this application.
Enquires will be undertaken at this office and the document will be forwarded as soon as pratically possible to the Nigerian immigration service in Abuja. The Nigerian immigration service will decide whether further action is required. in these cases, enquiries should be addressed to the Nigerian Immigration Service.".

Please note that this is my first Visa application to UK embassy inspite of my frequent travel to over 17 countries.
Please kindly assist with advice on how to retrieve my passport.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by dagreen14: 12:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2014
dis is strong? hearing it for d first time
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 17, 2014
saintsola:
Hello House, on Nov 26th i was at the uk vfs to pick my application .Upon opening the package,i discovered my passport was not inside,but the note inside the pack said my passport has been retained "The passport that you were intending to travel with, as detailed above has been retained, as we are not satisfied that the document satisfactorily estabilishes your identity and nationality. This is in view of the fact that a previous UK visa application was made in 2009 using identity consistent with those provided in this application.
Enquires will be undertaken at this office and the document will be forwarded as soon as pratically possible to the Nigerian immigration service in Abuja. The Nigerian immigration service will decide whether further action is required. in these cases, enquiries should be addressed to the Nigerian Immigration Service.".

Please note that this is my first Visa application to UK embassy inspite of my frequent travel to over 17 countries.

Justwise my honourable MOD pls help
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by justwise(m): 9:20pm On Dec 17, 2014
saintsola:

Have you ever lost your previous passport or given your passport to any agent for visa?
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by Hembelembe: 10:16pm On Dec 17, 2014
Following.....
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 6:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
I have never given any agent whatsoever my passport for any visa related activities. All my Visa's have either been personally applied by me or by my company.

I have written to Nigeria Immigration who claimed that my passport is yet to be forwarded to them for onward delivery to me.

Funny enough, I copied home office in UK in my letter to Nigeria Immigration service and they adviced me to re-apply. But how will I re-apply without my international passports.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by justwise(m): 6:33pm On Dec 18, 2014
saintsola:
I have never given any agent whatsoever my passport for any visa related activities. All my Visa's have either been personally applied by me or by my company.

I have written to Nigeria Immigration who claimed that my passport is yet to be forwarded to them for onward delivery to me.

Funny enough, I copied home office in UK in my letter to Nigeria Immigration service and they adviced me to re-apply. But how will I re-apply without my international passports.

You need to write British embassy to challenge that decision since you are 100% sure that its mistaken identity. I'm guessing its the old passport (machine readable one) they are referring to because with e-passport your fingerprint will be attached to it
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by optimusprime2(m): 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
saintsola:

Did you apply for an Irish or Canadian visa in 2009 or do you have a valid Irish or Canadian Visa? if yes which official document/information did you enter then thats is inconsistent/different with what you submitted to the British embassy now? i.e did you use the old passport to apply at the Irish or Canadian embassy?
in the absence of that I am scratching my head...
Perhaps you should write the embassy and contest with their assumption, or better still, if you are absolutely sure of your "innocence" i.e you dont know what they are talking about, then have the Nigerian immigration contact the British Blokes on your issue, as this one seems to be out of your jurisdiction, this looks like a job for N.I.S.
Its possible your passport may even have an E.error(wrong chip info) and the British embassy has found that out, so its N.I.S place to correct it if so.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 8:09pm On Dec 19, 2014
Dear House,

I never applied for either Canadian Visa or Irish Visa. I have written to Nigeria Immigration Service and have not gotten any response from them officially, but my friend who works with Immigration confirmed UK embassy has not forwarded the passports to them.

My official duties is seriously impacted as I need to urgently travel to Ivory Coast to resolve a technical issue. This is an era of finger printing and as per my technical knowledge 2 people can't have the same finger prints. Moreso, I have immigration records in over 17 countries which can be verified by UK immigration to ascertain my true identity.

I just hope UK embassy will released my passport to immigration ASAP, and will appreciate if anyone can advice on how to resolve this issue.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by optimusprime2(m): 1:04am On Dec 20, 2014
saintsola:
Dear House,

I never applied for either Canadian Visa or Irish Visa. I have written to Nigeria Immigration Service and have not gotten any response from them officially, but my friend who works with Immigration confirmed UK embassy has not forwarded the passports to them.

My official duties is seriously impacted as I need to urgently travel to Ivory Coast to resolve a technical issue. This is an era of finger printing and as per my technical knowledge 2 people can't have the same finger prints. Moreso, I have immigration records in over 17 countries which can be verified by UK immigration to ascertain my true identity.

I just hope UK embassy will released my passport to immigration ASAP, and will appreciate if anyone can advice on how to resolve this issue.
If its Ivory Coast you want to travel to urgently, I think a Drivers License or National I.D card to proove you are Nigerian may be enough (if you choose to go by road-though its risky but fun all through and the journey is like 20hrs but due to stops, a day and a half), because Ivory Coast is Visa free to Nigerians as its a west Afro country.
Heres what your Journey schedule to Abidjan-Cote'd voire will look like, should incase you choose to go by road;

•NIGERIA – BENIN REPUBLIC (4 hours
including wait time at Seme)
•Mile 2- Motor Park
•Seme Border
•Cotonou

•BENIN REPUBLIC -TOGO (1 hour)
•Hillacondji Border
•Lome

•TOGO – GHANA (3 hours)
•Aflao Border
•Accra

•GHANA – IVORY COAST (12 hours)
•Takoradi
•Elubo Border
•Abidjan

Though, you need to go and present this case officially to N.I.S...
They could issue you a travel certificate if its Necessary when going by air.
Bottomline I suggest you walk to the immigration office and file in concerning this case.

1 Like

Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by sensisosu: 9:11pm On Dec 21, 2014
following this thread.. I have a friend that had a similar problem
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by bankole200(m): 9:49am On Dec 23, 2014
To travel to west Africa countries, you can as well get an Ecowas passport. Its instant at NIS offices nationwide .

1 Like

Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by optimusprime2(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2014
bankole200:
To travel to west Africa countries, you can as well get an Ecowas passport. Its instant at NIS offices nationwide .
UK embassy has retained his current ECOWAS passport.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by Westmorgan: 3:12pm On Jan 01, 2015
saint sola a also in your shoes I will like to know if you have gotten your passport?
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by coldsummer: 9:42pm On Jan 01, 2015
Happy new year.

Quick one please:

Canadian and Irish are the only embassies that share immigration info with the UK?

Please clarify.

optimusprime2:

Did you apply for an Irish or Canadian visa in 2009 or do you have a valid Irish or Canadian Visa? if yes which official document/information did you enter then thats is inconsistent/different with what you submitted to the British embassy now? i.e did you use the old passport to apply at the Irish or Canadian embassy?
in the absence of that I am scratching my head...
Perhaps you should write the embassy and contest with their assumption, or better still, if you are absolutely sure of your "innocence" i.e you dont know what they are talking about, then have the Nigerian immigration contact the British Blokes on your issue, as this one seems to be out of your jurisdiction, this looks like a job for N.I.S.
Its possible your passport may even have an E.error(wrong chip info) and the British embassy has found that out, so its N.I.S place to correct it if so.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by optimusprime2(m): 10:57pm On Jan 01, 2015
coldsummer:
Happy new year.

Quick one please:

Canadian and Irish are the only embassies that share immigration info with the UK?

Please clarify.

Happy New Year Bro!
Its Typical for Irish Embassies to share info with British embassies, of course being part of the U.K.
As for Canada, they have linked embassies with the U.K hope this link sheds some light on that;
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/sep/24/britain-canada-share-embassies

now, the British embassy and other embassies like US, Australia and other OECD countries dont have that kind of mutual link policy, but certain data are taken into consideration during Visa applications (esp felony records), that can prompt them to make further research by contacting themselves for Data Verification "most especially if the subject has aquired a visa from any of them"
I was in the american embasssy for an interview once, when the visa officer told a guy they would contact the British embassy to verify an information he provided, of course such a call is going to prompt data sharing, depending on degree of verification.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 6:49pm On Jan 05, 2015
Dear All,

Compliments of the seasons.!!!

I have received a feedback from UK immigration through my lawyer.

First letter stated that I can re-apply again for UK Visa, and my lawyer wrote back to them asking for the location of my passports and there came the second letter.

Now I am chasing immigrations who claim such documents are first forwarded to Ministry of international affairs.

Please see below the 2 letters from UK immigration:

=========================================second and final letter================================

Dear Sir,

I can confirm that the passports to which you refer are no longer in our possession and have been returned to the Nigerian Immigration Service as previously advised.

I would advise that you contact them again as I am afraid I am unable to assist any further in this matter.

Regards,

Ms Cutler

Entry Clearance Manager| UK Visas & Immigration|

4th Floor (Iron), Vulcan House, Sheffield, PO Box 3468, S3 8NU
www.gov.uk/home-office

=======================first letter==================================================

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 03/12/2014, requesting a review of the decision reached in your clients case.

Your clients application does not attract a full right of appeal. Your clients right to appeal is limited to race and human rights grounds only, as advised on the refusal notice. I am satisfied that the decision was reasonable and lawful based on the information provided.

An Entry Clearance Manager will only routinely review decisions where it is clear that an error has been made on the part of the Entry Clearance Officer who assessed the application. In your clients case there is no evidence to suggest that this has occurred. An Entry Clearance Manager has not further reviewed the decision.

Your client is welcome to submit a fresh application at any time, which would be considered by a different ECO. Any fresh evidence that you would like to submit should form part of a new application and should your client decide to reapply, he should attempt to address the concerns outlined in the refusal notice. No guarantee can be made regarding the outcome of any future application and in the event the application is not successful the fee is non-refundable.

Yours sincerely,

R Green

Correspondence Unit,

Sheffield Visa Section, UK Visas & Immigration, Home Office,

4th Floor, Vulcan House (Iron), S3 8NU

www.gov.uk/home-office
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 11:08am On Jan 15, 2015
Dear All,

I have been to Nigeria Immigration Service in Abuja to request for my passport and was told it has not been forwarded yet. Further, I was made to realize that embassies does not relate directly with NIS, except through the Ministry of Foreign affairs. But was adviced that nothing can be done until ministry of foreign affairs forwards my 2 international passports to NIS.

How true is this, and how long does it take Ministry of Foreign Affairs to forward my passports to NIS?
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by sam2009: 9:45am On Jan 16, 2015
It can not take you less than 6 months , if you know that you have a genuine case the British embassy , I mean if you are sure that you did not use any fake document you need to get a strong immigration consultant to filled your case otherwise your passport will be delay for like 6 month or more.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by justwise(m): 9:49am On Jan 16, 2015
saintsola:
Dear All,

I have been to Nigeria Immigration Service in Abuja to request for my passport and was told it has not been forwarded yet. Further, I was made to realize that embassies does not relate directly with NIS, except through the Ministry of Foreign affairs. But was adviced that nothing can be done until ministry of foreign affairs forwards my 2 international passports to NIS.

How true is this, and how long does it take Ministry of Foreign Affairs to forward my passports to NIS?

Was the explanation given to you in writing?
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 10:12am On Jan 16, 2015
Explanation was given in written by UK immigration that my passport has been forwarded to NIS.

But for NIS, there was no official confirmation yet, just personal connections.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by justwise(m): 10:17am On Jan 16, 2015
saintsola:
Explanation was given in written by UK immigration that my passport has been forwarded to NIS.

But for NIS, there was no official confirmation yet, just personal connections.

Oh ok, if it was given to you in writing you should have forwarded it to UK immigration asking them to tell you exactly where they sent your passport. You can still write them to request for that.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 10:26am On Jan 16, 2015
I have written to NIS officially via my lawyer, but they have not given any official response. As you know the flaw in the Nigerian system, I have to reply on my inside contacts to get fruitful and updated information from NIS. Now I am in the process of chasing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the whereabouts of my passports.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by justwise(m): 10:30am On Jan 16, 2015
saintsola:
I have written to NIS officially via my lawyer, but they have not given any official response.
As you know the flaw in the Nigerian system, I have to reply on my inside contacts to get fruitful and updated information from NIS. Now I am in the process of chasing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the whereabouts of my passports.

You have done the right thing, follow it up and hopefully you will get a reply from them, its more valuable than spoken words.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 10:41am On Jan 16, 2015
But really is there anything wrong in NIS setting up an information or Contact us mail where issues like this could be addressed. I have written UK immigration on 3 occasions and they have responded since last year, and not a single official response from NIS. Not even an acknowledgement.

It is really sad.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by justwise(m): 10:46am On Jan 16, 2015
saintsola:
But really is there anything wrong in NIS setting up an information or Contact us mail where issues like this could be addressed. I have written UK immigration on 3 occasions and they have responded since last year, and not a single official response from NIS. Not even an acknowledgement.

It is really sad.

Sadly Nigerian system doesn't have that standard procedures, you can only keep pushing it until you have a breakthrough.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 10:54am On Jan 16, 2015
No retreat No Surrender until my passports are delivered to me.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by vohglory: 7:48pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hmn! Just find myself in such a similar situation. What was the action taken by NIS?
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by saintsola(m): 8:05pm On Jul 02, 2016
Na Seasonal Film oooooooooooooooooooo. I never watch am finish since 2014.
Re: Passport Retention By Uk Embassy by BlackMerchant(m): 4:26pm On Jul 04, 2016
saintsola:
Na Seasonal Film oooooooooooooooooooo. I never watch am finish since 2014.

So, have you been able to retrieve your passport from the NIS?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

UAE Banks Refuse To Open Bank Accounts For Nigerian Nationals / Arik, Aero Lose N16.5m Daily Over Closure Of Warri Airport / Tlscontact Express Courier Return Service After Receiving Decision Email

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.