Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed (29531 Views)

54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Nigerian Military Allegedly Starved Of Food / MUTINY: Four More Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad / See Names Of The 54 Nigerian Soldiers Condemned To Death, 5 Freed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
Fifty-four of the 59 soldiers standing trial for mutiny and conspiracy to commit mutiny have bagged the death sentence. They are to face the firing squad having been found guilty of the offences.

The General Court Martial, which has been sitting since October, however, discharged and acquitted five of the soldiers.

Delivering the judgment at the Mogadishu Cantonment, Abuja Wednesday night, chairman of the GCM, Major General Musa Yusuf, said the soldiers reserved the right to appeal the verdict at a higher authority.

The 59 soldiers were among the troops engaged in counter insurgency operations in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, where the Boko Haram insurgents have taken over a number of Nigerian towns and villages in Northeastern Nigeria.

The soldiers were accused of refusing lawful orders to fight, an offence the military authorities described as conspiracy and mutiny.

The first batch of soldiers that were tried for mutiny also bagged the death sentence for shooting at their commanding officer. The verdict is being appealed by their lawyers.

All the 59 soldiers had pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them by the General Court Martial during the trial.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/mutiny-54-soldiers-face-firing-squad-five-freed/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Beesluv: 10:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
Oh not again

We should be thinking of how to Increase our number and not reduce cos these terrorist keep outnumbering us. Will those in Aso rock come out and fight

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by brownlord2: 10:08pm On Dec 17, 2014
Only for the strong!

God bless our men in arms

4 Likes

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Xslaze3xd(m): 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
TTC

2 Likes

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by lecturerdabo(m): 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2014
Silly cowards sitting in air conditioned offices and condemning brave hearts to death, non sense!

142 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Truth24(m): 10:32pm On Dec 17, 2014
Pathetic
But instead of wasting dem like dat, why not push dem to war fronts, dey might help kill ateast 20 BH members before they eventually die na...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by holatin(m): 11:01pm On Dec 17, 2014
fresh air indeed
every sector going mad

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Dreambeat: 11:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
Too bad.The military profession is not meant for everyone,you either fall in line or you fall out.A very high sense of discipline and obedience is required to be a successful military officer.It is not for the faint hearted.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Babyboy1986(m): 12:43am On Dec 18, 2014
OMG
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Tic4tac(m): 12:43am On Dec 18, 2014
ђMM..
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by menesheh(m): 12:44am On Dec 18, 2014
Too baaaaddddd

Harsh trial

These innocent soldiers are later going to be busted for their mutiny despite them being the active force for field work

There should still be a review of the death penalty, they should be jailed for life instead firing sqad

Am just pretty much ungrateful about it

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by amakufrancis(m): 12:44am On Dec 18, 2014
oh why now
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by gbodimowo(m): 12:44am On Dec 18, 2014
hypocrisy if that Nigeria n army

4 Likes

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 18, 2014
This barbarism has to stop!

4 Likes

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by tiswell(m): 12:44am On Dec 18, 2014
Wat went wrong again with our gallant men
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by akpanikpe(m): 12:45am On Dec 18, 2014
Mods abeg I want sleep no disturb me wit dis kind thread for fp pls undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:45am On Dec 18, 2014
Oro o!
Ikunle o!
Last Bullet
If only, their sentence has a just reason!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by yungcyrus(m): 12:45am On Dec 18, 2014
Abeg make dy free this Soldiers joor...
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 18, 2014
Dreambeat:
Too bad.The military profession is not meant for everyone,you either fall in line or you fall out.A very high sense of discipline and obedience is required to be a successful military officer.It is not for the faint hearted.

THAT HIGH SENSE OF DISCIPLINE SHOULD START WITH THE COMMANDING OFFICERS.
THEY RAPACIOUSLY ALLOCATED ALL THE MILITARY BUDGETS TO THEMSELVES AND EXPECT THESE YOUNG AND BRAVE MEN TO GO AND DIE??

RUBBSH!

Meanwhile, i am a music producer and I own two of the best studios currently in lagos. Tonnes of hits.... dont dull!!!Check out my profile to see pictures of the studio in one of the topics I created.Follow me on nairaland and I follow back.P.s. I have some of the best producers working for me and our latest hit this year isPETERU by skuki ft. Olamide badoo

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Presley243(m): 12:46am On Dec 18, 2014
*brings out my riffle* show me those men...!
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by dre11(m): 12:46am On Dec 18, 2014
The soldiers have to pay with their life's

For, the corruption of their ogas
For the lack of fire power to combat the Boko Haram
For refusing to allow their lives to be slaughter like fowls because of out dated guns and fire power.
For standing against the evils of their oga etc

This men have to be the sacrificial lamb

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by adamskutty(m): 12:46am On Dec 18, 2014
Idiots
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Henrick007: 12:46am On Dec 18, 2014
Bad news
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Frankenstein: 12:47am On Dec 18, 2014
lecturerdabo:
Silly cowards sitting in air conditioned offices and condemning brave hearts to death, non sense!
Brave hearts that shot at their commanding officers.

1 Like

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by omoadeleye(m): 12:47am On Dec 18, 2014
yeeba!!!
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Abujabir24: 12:48am On Dec 18, 2014
The officers are not happy that the ratings are exposing them. They do nothing but sit and eat money mercilessly at the detriment of civilians. They siphone money meant to purchase arms and use it to build houses here and there. Courtesy of the letter written to jonathan by a commanding officer. I believe the military can fight out this insurgents terrorizing my homestate but they believe the money will stop flowing when the hostiles die.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Frankenstein: 12:48am On Dec 18, 2014
Military laws are different from civilian laws. This is what they signed up for... But 54? Death sentence? In 2014?

2 Likes

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Anaskie(m): 12:48am On Dec 18, 2014
My God! That's quite a huge number.
We are talking about human lives here!
If I kill 54 chickens this Xmas,my conscience will bug me, talkless of killing 54 humans.

Sentencing 54 people to death will definitely destroy the already dead morale of the soldiers at the battlefield.
The Court Martilal should have borne this in mind before delivering this ridiculous judgement.

Its not like we're even in the military era for Crissakes!

Anyways, they have a right to appeal. I'm very sure the Court of Appeal will reverse this stupendous judgement.

Extremely pissed right now angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by Pweetyradiance(f): 12:49am On Dec 18, 2014
Hey! 54 soldiers to be wasted jux lyk dat? pity them na....... I beg I don dey cry sef.but soldiers too na wa oh.
Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by uken73(m): 12:49am On Dec 18, 2014
Too bad.

To go on AWOL would have been better.

1 Like

Re: Mutiny: 54 Soldiers Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad, 5 Freed by moyinoluwabun(m): 12:49am On Dec 18, 2014
Military House of Commotion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Suleiman Abba Handover To Solomon Arase (pics) / 9 Things Buhari Promised Nigerians In 2018 / NCoS: Maryam Sanda Not Granted Pardon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.