Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,636 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar (3382 Views)

Rays Of Hope For Economy As FG Fights Back With N3trn TSA Fund / New Boko Haram Video Mocks Nigeria Military With Downed Nigerian Jet Fighter Etc / Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Collynzo9: 10:36am On Dec 20, 2014
Can someone point out exactly where Nigeria was mocked in the article?
I don't know what is wrong with these useless, inferiority complex filled idîots roaming Nairaland.
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Collynzo9: 10:38am On Dec 20, 2014
talktimi:
Where is the mockery in this article ?
My guy, I have been looking for it with a microscope for the past 5 minutes.
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Collynzo9: 10:40am On Dec 20, 2014
dekronik:

Read again and ask me.
You are a grade one illiterate almajiri.
Show us where the mockery is in the article or go and hide in shame!
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Gbawe: 11:10am On Dec 20, 2014
chemali:

You are the ignorant and myopic one. How much of the money made in the last four years have been invested in infrastructure? What has been your government response to the oil price challenge? Looking at 2015 budget, does it look like PDP govt is ready to make hard choices? This is Nigeria's internal problem. The article talks about an upsurge in foreign investment and we just came out of a period of high oil prices - why didn't the naira appreciate? Why do you think Sanusi cried out that money was missing? See the big picture and stop being myopic.

Indeed. It is patently pathetic and unintelligently simplistic to insinuate that Nigeria is somehow an 'innocent victim' of the economic war between Nations not even on the African continent.The substantive point is that the right Government would have moved Nigeria away from being entirely at the mercy of things beyond our control.

All nations of the world will have some unavoidable susceptibility, however minute, to prevailing global economic conditions. In Nigeria's situation it is bad governance, because of its corruption-centred profligacy and failure to plan proactively, that now exposes Nigeria horribly to the vagaries of falling oil prices. It is as simple as that.
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by dekronik: 11:16am On Dec 20, 2014
Collynzo9:

"...a government that spends $6 Bn to tackle insurgency in north east..." I guess they are praising Nigeria right? Or doesn't the war affect the economy? ..."overdependent on oil money..." How come after spending 6 Bn dollars the war persists?

Look my friend, check the dictionary and understand the meaning of "mock". Or do you want them to be like Nigerian papers by using words like "shege", "oloshi" before you know they are making fun of us?

1 Like

Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Gbawe: 11:19am On Dec 20, 2014
Collynzo9:
Can someone point out exactly where Nigeria was mocked in the article?
I don't know what is wrong with these useless, inferiority complex filled idîots roaming Nairaland.

Collynzo9:

My guy, I have been looking for it with a microscope for the past 5 minutes.

Collynzo9:

Are you for real? You ask the same thing several times and even insult others yet most intelligent posters have already seen what the title of the thread hints at. While the use of the word "mocks" is subjective there can be no doubting, from the body of the article, the cynicism of the author towards the effort of Nigeria to independently and internally nullify the deleterious effect falling oil price is having on the Nigerian economy. Slice and dice it how you want but the substantive message is shown in black and white below with even a dash of red cool .

How can anyone spin what is written below as anything other than a damning and "mocking" indictment of Nigeria's grossly unprepared, flat-footed and impotent leadership? If economists predicate the recovery of the Naira on rising oil prices alone, while they appear to completely disregard and rule out the efficacy of any fiscal measure Nigeria is able to roll out, what does that tell you about their opinion most balanced adults would surely view as 'mocking' of the Nigerian Government's ineptitude, complete susceptibility to oil price and economic impotence?

What measures have been taken to limit damage?
The Nigerian central bank has implemented a number of measures in recent weeks to try to control the situation. In early November, the bank barred importers of goods, including electronics, generators and telecommunications equipment, from procuring dollars at its foreign-exchange auctions. Later in the month, it raised its key interest rate by one percentage point to a record high of 13%. Since then, the central bank has also intervened several times, according to traders, by selling dollar reserves to prop up the naira.

This week, it banned dealers from depositing currency-trading funds overnight, preventing traders from placing bets for or against a single currency at the close of a trading session. So far though, all of these measures appear to have had little impact though. The naira remains stubbornly pinned close to a record low against the dollar and economists have said that until the price of oil drastically rises, Nigeria will suffer.

3 Likes

Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Collynzo9: 11:28am On Dec 20, 2014
dekronik:

"...a government that spends $6 Bn to tackle insurgency in north east..." I guess they are praising Nigeria right? Or doesn't the war affect the economy? ..."overdependent on oil money..." How come after spending 6 Bn dollars the war persists?

Look my friend, check the dictionary and understand the meaning of "mock". Or do you want them to be like Nigerian papers by using words like "shege", "oloshi" before you know they are making fun of us?
How does a statment of fact equal mockery?
America is spending trillions for the same purpose in other countries, but it hasn't ended the problem. How can saying the government spends $6 billion a year to taclke insurgency be regarded as mockery?
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Collynzo9: 11:34am On Dec 20, 2014
Gbawe:

Are you for real? You ask the same thing several times and even insult others yet most intelligent posters have already seen what the title of the thread hints at. While the use of the word "mocks" is subjective there can be no doubting, from the body of the article, the cynicism of the author towards the effort of Nigeria to nullify the effect falling oil price is having on the Nigerian economy. Slice and dice it how you want but the substantive message is shown in black and white below with even a dash of red cool . How can anyone spin what is written below as anything other than a damning and "mocking" indictment of Nigeria's grossly unprepared, flat-footed and impotent leadership?

There is no mockery in that post.
They did their analysis and came to a conclusion.
Analysis does not equate to mockery.
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by August21(m): 11:34am On Dec 20, 2014
This is a country where Elders don't speak d truth why should d youths speak d truth? Some times we shd throw away sentiments and face d hard cold facts.
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Gbawe: 11:44am On Dec 20, 2014
Collynzo9:

There is no mockery in that post.
They did their analysis and came to a conclusion.
Analysis does not equate to mockery.

I have already agreed with your right to conclude it is not mockery but you should, if you truly understand the statement below, also see why other posters in the majority will conclude the report is mocking the impotence and self-inflicted weakness of the Nigerian economy. Can it not be argued that the quote below, from the article, mocks the Nigerian economy as one which does not possess the internal and independent ability/strength to rescue herself from the deleterious effect of falling oil prices?

The naira remains stubbornly pinned close to a record low against the dollar and economists have said that until the price of oil drastically rises, Nigeria will suffer.
Re: Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar by Collynzo9: 11:55am On Dec 20, 2014
Gbawe:

I have already agreed with your right to conclude it is not mockery but you should, if you truly understand the statement below, also see why other posters can conclude the report is mocking the impotence and self-inflicted weakness of the Nigerian economy. Can it not be argued that the quote below, from the article,mock Nigeria as a nation with an economy which doe not possess the internal and independent ability/strength to rescue herself from the deleterious effect of falling oil prices?

The title of the thread is clear:
Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar

They made their analysis and came to the conclusion that the Nigerian economy is so dependent on oil exports that only a rise in oil prices can save the situation.
In the same report, they observed that other sectors of the economy has been developed to the extent that oil no longer accounts for a large chunk of the GDP, but still constitutes 80% of exports and government revenue, should we call that mockery too?
If I say oil prices will continue to fall until the US and OPEC cuts production, does that mean I am mocking Russia?
This is a simple analysis and conclusion.
No matter how hard you guys try to spin it ecausw of nothing but your dislike for the current government, they didn't mock Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

/ LIVE! God Has Revealed To Fr Mbaka Nig 'll Break Up, Nobody Can Stop It / SARS Awaiting Saraki's Arrival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.