Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,106 members, 7,953,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:15 PM

Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. (11345 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / 1 Dollar = 1 Naira: Buhari Approves An Exchange Rate Of N160 To $1 / Nigeria Signed Pact To Import Refined Oil Under Buhari's Regime (NY Times 1984) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by onegig(m): 6:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
Bayswater:

The statistics you put up here portrays even a more damning verdict on Buhari's regime as Military dictator.

Prior to Buhari's ascension as president, there was no pronounced black market (Parallel market) but the moment he became president, black market trade of the dollar did not only witness a boom, it became a constant fixture in the forex market. That shows how bad he was as a president (Fact 1 : Black market sale of the dollar gained prominence in Buhari's time).

A dollar was 72kobo in 1983 when Buhari took power from Shagari by force and by the time he left in 1985, a dollar was sold at N1.70k in the parallel market which represents about 230% jump!! Are you frigging kidding me!!!

(We all know the true price of the dollar is the parallel market price, how many people gets the dollar at the official rate).

Please do your research and analyse the results thoroughly before posting trash here, okay!!

Another voodoo economists on the prowl. So change in the base kobo is the same to change in nominal values? So change from 50k to 60k is the same as 50 naira to 60 naira change?

And where did the article state he left when the price was 1.7 naira.

Here's a monthly analysis so you can cure your ignorance.

Even as at January 1986, 6 months after he left the naira still exchanged below 95 kobo so where did you get your N1.70 rate? Can we then assume all you wrote there are just mere assumptions, lies and figments of your imagination.?

Also you can't just bandy words and tell us they are facts and expect us to believe it hook, line and sinker. Provide verifiable links to the facts. You are talking to intellectual people not a gathering of 10,000 naira monthly stipend TAN ambassadors.

3 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 21, 2014
Just wanted to confirm if the below word is no more sensored as I saw it in this thread
supporters of APC
How do you guys beat the sensors hip, I can't go back to verify that.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Remarkable: 6:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
My brother, isnt it shameful?

Whenever some posters here accuse someone of lieing... you know right away its either they are confused i.e. don't understand what was discussed, or they want to cover their own lies...

see how Ndu_chuks came and rejoiced that a lie has been exposed...

Bacanikwa came and congratulated the OP....
(he logs in as...)
Orlando Ole came and wanted Datolee to come so he can be shamed...
(even the one that should be reading to comprehend instead of posting)
Berom came and accused people of lies and even tried to answer a question herself....

but just like an ogbunigwe...

just like that wind that blows to bare the dirty smelly behind of the fowl...

Datolee came and ask them one question, a simple question....

Obii dodged...

Bacanikwa lied (as usual with a lieing, unofficial link)

Ndu_chuks was mute...

and the truth was laid bare, clear for Nigerians to see... those neutral posters that read and usually don/t comment, those Nigerians that want the truth and not lies and deception... they are the ones that threads like this benefit.

So Obii, I look forward to your next "truth" ... in which you will accuse others of lieing...
and your oilyass will be handed to you once again.
atlwireles:

I think we can close this thread now.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

WRONG!! CBN said it is 168 to a dollar http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

187 is in the parallel market, 168 is the official exchange rate.. another question, are you exchanging your dollar at 168? the answer to this will surely answer your question about the exchange posted by obiageli.

Datolee playing smart again,

1981 0.61
1982 0.673
1983 0.724
1984 0.765

Are these cbn figures?
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

I will try not to call you a liar, but guy, you are distorting the fact. The link to the CBN is updated!!! PLEASE STOP!

12/18/2014 US DOLLAR 167 167.5 168

POUNDS STERLING 261.2214 262.0035 262.7856

EURO 204.9758 205.5895 206.2032

SWISS FRANC 170.0957 170.605 171.1143

12/17/2014 US DOLLAR 167 167.5 168

POUNDS STERLING 262.5741 263.3603 264.1464

EURO 208.0152 208.638 209.2608

SWISS FRANC 173.2006 173.7191 174.2377

Swiss franc was selling at 174 on 12/17/2014 while on 12/18/2014 it was selling at 171.. what makes the figure not updated? you are losing the argument already. http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

Like I said, the official exchange in 1985 was 0.8 but the real exchange rate was 1.7! just as today, the official exchange rate is 168 but the real exchange rate is 187

One more point for you... You said previously that during Buhari regime, it was mandatory to sell goods at specific price without much markup and hording... the question, why did the same government allow the disparity in exchange rate? the disparity is more than 100% between official rate and parallel market?

Datolee are these cbn rates?

1981 0.61
1982 0.673
1983 0.724
1984 0.765

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
Obiagelli:

Datolee are these cbn rates?

1981 0.61
1982 0.673
1983 0.724
1984 0.765

Perfectly correct... and these are also from the CBN

1985 0.894

2014 168 (as at 12/21/2014)

Now, go to your bank and demand for a dollar at 168 exchange rate

NB: if the bank cannot exchange at 168 but 187, take it that bank wouldn't also exchange a dollar for you at 0.894 in 1985 but 1.7. I ask again, wasn't under Buhari that sellers were forced to sell at a given price.. why then do we have great disparity between official exchange rate and parallel market?

7 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by EldaTimba(m): 7:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
Remarkable:

Whenever some posters here accuse someone of lieing... you know right away its either they are confused i.e. don't understand what was discussed, or they want to cover their own lies...

(he logs in as...)
Berom came and accused people of lies and even tried to answer a question herself....

Obii dodged...

Ndu_chuks was mute...

and the truth was laid bare, clear for Nigerians to see... those neutral posters that read and usually don/t comment, those Nigerians that want the truth and not lies and deception... they are the ones that threads like this benefit.

So Obii, I look forward to your next "truth" ... in which you will accuse others of lieing...
E tire me my brother

6 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

1985 0.894

Can you put a link to these figures as cbn rates?

These figures i got from international agencies just as barcanista said.

Please put up a cbn link.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by EldaTimba(m): 7:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

1985 0.894

My fellow comrade, You are a blessing to your mother's womb. A gift to your Family. A JEWEL to your nation. Keep Educating the confused fellow until it registers in her brain

5 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
Obiagelli:

Can you put a link to these figures as cbn rates?

These figures i got from international agencies just as barcanista said.

Please put up a cbn link.

http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

The date stopped at 12/18/2014.

9 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

The date stopped at 12/18/2014.

I can't find 1983- 1885 in your link, that was my request
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by jmaine: 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2014
This Super Ninja called Datolee na die cool . . . . . . Dude, no let all these APC pipu hire kidnappers take waylay you oo!

See decimation . . . . . cheesy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1222649_1027478_closed_2_jpgc49ab300ff7d2a951ea01ed3f267b300_jpgc8779a64a3015e509f8bf42e92b7666b

8 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by EldaTimba(m): 7:36pm On Dec 21, 2014
jmaine:
This Super Ninja called Datolee na die cool . . . . . . Dude, no let all these APC pipu hire kidnappers take waylay you oo!

See decimation . . . . . cheesy
When datolee enters a thread, APC e-warriors scamper for safety.

11 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Sibabasibaba1: 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
Field Marshall datolee...putting the fear of God in the Boharams since AD 1859.

8 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by jmaine: 7:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
EldaTimba:
When datolee enters a thread, APC e-warriors scamper for safety.

When the dude surfaces, his assault is like an avalange sweeping all falsehood in sight to extinction . . . . . The dude is very rugged upstairs . . . grin

7 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 7:40pm On Dec 21, 2014
APC LIES BUSTING mechanism discovered.

If you need the blueprint show interest here: tongue

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by whizoooo: 7:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by CyberWolf: 7:47pm On Dec 21, 2014
Remarkable:

(he logs in as...)

Obii dodged...

Ndu_chuks was mute...

grin grin grin...chaii una no go kill me..

4 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by anonimi: 7:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
Obiagelli:

I can't find 1983- 1885 in your link, that was my request

Your request has been effectively dealt with based on your own OP data and this =>

datolee:

1985 0.894

NB: if the bank cannot exchange at 168 but 187, take it that bank wouldn't also exchange a dollar for you at 0.894 in 1985 but 1.7. I ask again, wasn't under Buhari that sellers were forced to sell at a given price.. why then do we have great disparity between official exchange rate and parallel market?

Buhari is a confirmed clueless person when it comes to economic matters as he does not have the mental capability needed for the long-term policy measures required for sustainable growth.

The picture below demonstrates that adequately:

He prefers the cheap & cheerful short cuts that are popular (to his fellow clueless citizens) but are suicidal to the nation.

We cannot hand over our economic prospects to such a daft person!
Not after the ongoing revival and transformational progress in various sectors under Jonathan!!!
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by CyberWolf: 7:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
At this point, I confer on datolee a chieftancy title of OGBUNIGWE 1 of Nairaland..who is with me? grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 7:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
CyberWolf:
At this point, I confer on datolee a chieftancy title of OGBUNIGWE 1 of Nairaland..who is with me? grin

Confirmed Ogbunigwe I what ever that means grin

4 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
Datolee, according to cbn, at no point in 2013 was the naira above 154.72

www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp?beginrec=2401&endrec=2500&currencytype=

But the chart we have been quoting for 1983 - 1985 puts exchange rate for 2013 at 153.21-162.9.

There in no way those could have been official cbn rates so barcanista is right.

All you twist can't work here except you post cbn official rate for 1983 - 1985
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 7:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
Now the matter can continue to rest in peace...

APC stop lying so that we don't see anything to burst again.

You can't get to power through Fabrication, Caricature, and Media Propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by CyberWolf: 7:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

Confirmed Ogbunigwe I what ever that means grin
in literally translation, it mean the one that kills in multitude and that's the name giving to an APC developed by biafran soldiers during the civil war grin

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

1985 0.894

NB: if the bank cannot exchange at 168 but 187, take it that bank wouldn't also exchange a dollar for you at " 0.894 in 1985 but 1.7. I ask again, wasn't under Buhari that sellers were forced to sell at a given price.. why then do we have great disparity between official exchange rate and parallel market?

You are yet to prove 0.894 is the cbn rate, therefore there you can't tell me i can't get a dollar for 0.894.

Today cbn = 168

International price = 187

Black market = 195
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
All these Jonathanians praising Datolee,does it mean you can't engage in debates? Firefire,tell Datolee to help you in the thread you created about Tinubu. You must not run away from it. grin grin
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 8:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
Obiagelli:
Datolee, according to cbn, at no point in 2013 was the naira above 154.72

www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp?beginrec=2401&endrec=2500&currencytype=

But the chart we have been quoting for 1983 - 1985 puts exchange rate for 2013 at 153.21-162.9.

There in no way those could have been official cbn rates so barcanista is right.

All you twist can't work here except you post cbn official rate for 1983 - 1985

Obiagelli,

Honestly, what is your point let me address it.

If I understand you correctly you were asking datolee the rationale of using parallel market price as a checkout point and benchmark it against input of Official rate ?

Official Rate at the beginning of GMB was 0.724 / $
Official Rate at the end of GMB is 0.894 / $
Paralled market rate was 1.5 / $

But datolee stated that he used the parallel market rate of 1.5 / $ being the amount you can get dollar at the time.

So what is your augment, please

3 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Descartes: 8:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
Datolee firing Nairaland pseudo-economists from all cylinders since 500 BC.

At the sight of him alone all peddlers of falsehood surrender their lying machines grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Descartes: 8:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
berem:
All these Jonathanians praising Datolee,does it mean you can't engage in debates? Firefire,tell Datolee to help you in the thread you created about Tinubu. You must not run away from it. grin grin

Which debate, are you among the pseudo economists too? undecided

Or are you trying to be smart? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

Obiagelli,

If I understand you correctly you were asking datolee the rationale of using parallel market price as a checkout point and benchmark it against input of Official rate ?

But datolee stated that he use the parallel market rate of 1.5 / $ being the amount you can get dollar at the time.

My question Is that official rate the same thing as cbn rates?

I gave 2013 as an example, the rate says 153.21-162.9 while cbn rate was 154.75.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by atlwireles: 8:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

Obiagelli,

But datolee stated that he used the parallel market rate of 1.5 / $ being the amount you can get dollar at the time.

That is the 1 billion naira question. She probably did not understand the intent of the thread she created.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Magu Probe: I Don’t Regret Being Panel Chairman - Ayo Salami / If This Picture Is True Then Nigeria Has No Army / FG To Repay $800m World Bank Loan For 25 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.