Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. (11099 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / 1 Dollar = 1 Naira: Buhari Approves An Exchange Rate Of N160 To $1 / Nigeria Signed Pact To Import Refined Oil Under Buhari's Regime (NY Times 1984) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

Question for you, what is the exchange of Naira to dollar today?
$1 = N180
www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=NGN&To=USD

Though this source cite it at 187=$1 www.likeforex.com/currency-converter/us-dollar-usd_ngn-nigeria-naira.htm/1

Thanks and I won't respond to unnecessary argument.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

Because there was no parallel market (yet to be reported anywhere).. Haven you forgotten that during Abacha there was 2 different exchange rates? My emphasis is how much your dollar will be exchanged at the bank not what the government is exchanging on it's own

I will repeat my question, what is the exchange rate of naira to dollar today?

what is the exchange rate of naira to dollar today

Obiageli, any response

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

Because there was no parallel market (yet to be reported anywhere).. Haven you forgotten that during Abacha there was 2 different exchange rates? My emphasis is how much your dollar will be exchanged at the bank not what the government is exchanging on it's own

I will repeat my question, what is the exchange rate of naira to dollar today?

1980?
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by blackfase(m): 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
Oby, you failed to point out that spike in 1985 was right after that mofo took over from him......

Obiagelli:
Datolee, naira was 0.894 to a dollar on 1985 when buhari left office. Why this lies?

Nigerian naira - PM = Parallel Market.
Date Naira per US $ Date Naira per US $
1972 0.658
1973 0.658
1974 0.63
1975 0.616
1976 0.62
1977 0.647
1978 0.606
1979 0.596
1980 0.550 (0.900 PM)
1981 0.61
1982 0.673
1983 0.724
1984 0.765
1985 0.894 (1.70 PM)
1986 2.02 (3.90 PM)
1987 4.02 (5.90 PM)
1988 4.54 (6.70 PM)
1989 7.39 (10.70 PM)
1990 7.39 (10.70 PM

www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/currency

Please note that buhari was in office from 31 December 1983 – 27 August 1985

4 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
chemali:

He has pushed two misleading threads in the space of an hour - The Soyinka one and the exchange rate one.
well let them even create a thread to declare Buhari to be a gay and push it to FP, I don't care anymore about them. A time will come when people will start seeing what the forum has become.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
barcanista:
$1 = N180
www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=NGN&To=USD

Though this source cite it at 187=$1 www.likeforex.com/currency-converter/us-dollar-usd_ngn-nigeria-naira.htm/1

Thanks and I won't respond to unnecessary argument.

WRONG!! CBN said it is 168 to a dollar http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

187 is in the parallel market, 168 is the official exchange rate.. another question, are you exchanging your dollar at 168? the answer to this will surely answer your question about the exchange posted by obiageli.

6 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

what is the exchange rate of naira to dollar today

Obiageli, any response
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by atlwireles: 5:40pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

WRONG!! CBN said it is 168 to a dollar http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

187 is in the parallel market, 168 is the official exchange rate.. another question, are you exchanging your dollar at 168? the answer to this will surely answer your question about the exchange posted by obiageli.

I think we can close this thread now.

5 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
berem:

And 187.4500 is official or parallel market? what does CBN say about exchange rate?

4 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 5:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
Fellow Nigerians,

Once again the truth has been told about Major General Mohamodu Buhari Rtd. lies about his economic policy during his draconian rule of 1983-1985.

The record is now set straight

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Shalom

Firefire!

N:B: Every other factor(s) is debatable.

E&OE

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Descartes: 5:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

Nnah ehh, nwa amadi a no dey hear "I am sorry" grin grin
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

And 187.4500 is official or parallel market? what does CBN say about exchange rate?
official i think

http://ngn.fxexchangerate.com/usd/
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Descartes: 5:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
atlwireles:

I think we can close this thread now.

Not yet wink
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Descartes: 5:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
berem:
official i think

Official ke? undecided
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 5:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
berem:
official i think

wink My sister no let Obiageli dey push you anyhow.

GMB is a BAD MARKET already. Believe me, I cant deceive you. tongue

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

have you bothered to check the date of the CBN website? I did say N180 but cited the other source. Xe.com pegs it at N180 (official).

Google Finance pegged it at N187
Yahoo Finace... N187

Call your aboki and see if he will sell it to you at N187 or less.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Firefire(m): 5:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
Goodluck to the remaining viewers...

Peace!

5 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chai, thank God for people when know economics ooo shocked.

Dem wan use lie and grammar butcher us before. Plain faced lies.

Datolee God go bless you. At least for bursting their propangandas everyday.

All this naira matter nor even pain me self, d painful one na wen dem lie with clear eye say the man build 4 refinery.

The God when una dey serve cha, if e decide to punish una now una go say e wicked, no problem,

Kontinue.

4 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
blackfase:

Oby, you failed to point out that spike in 1985 was right after that mofo took over from him......

I haven't found a link to back that up, i don't usually want to say most of the things i know because i don't have links for them.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Tsolz: 5:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
As at November 29, 2014 the official exchange was N168/$ and kept going down. As at today the official rate is N180 according to xe.com or 187 according to google finance. But in the blackmarket it is higher(I can't give figure)

[url]leadership.ng/business/392243/devaluation-naira-nigerians-hard-time[/url]
Rising from the two-day meeting, the CBN
took holistic monetary palliative aimed at
ensuring naira exchange rate stability and
forestalling the potentially dangerous
impact of the falling oil prices in the
international oil market on the Nigerian
economy. It reduced the official naira-to-
dollar exchange rate to [size=18pt]N168/$[/size] forcing
down the currency by N13, down from
N155/$1 as the country struggles to reshape
its fiscal policies in response to dwindling oil
price which has taken its toll on the foreign
reserves and raised the benchmark interest
rate
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by chamboy(m): 6:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
Pdp goons e ku ise, see if u tell me Buhari is devil gangan I would still vote for him... continue digging lies, You hear buhari this, Osinbajo that

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Remarkable: 6:03pm On Dec 21, 2014
Oga, stop lieing!

You avoided it because you didn't want to be disgraced and totally humiliated again.... anywhere you see Datolee, you log in with your other IDs or go into guest mode grin gringringringringrin

Crazy guy.
barcanista:
Obiagelli, I saw the thread on fp and deliberately avoided it. When a lie is being promoted without any attempt by the admin to verify its veracity, it becomes sensible for total avoidance without resorting to arguing with an insane. Well Done

3 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by atlwireles: 6:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
Remarkable:
Oga, stop lieing!

You avoided it because you didn't want to be disgraced and totally humiliated again.... anywhere you see Datolee, you log in with your other IDs or go into guest mode grin gringringringringrin

Crazy guy.

classic grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
barcanista:
As at November 29, 2014 the official exchange was N168/$ and kept going down. As at today the official rate is N180 according to xe.com or 187 according to google finance. But in the blackmarket it is higher(I can't give figure)

[url]leadership.ng/business/392243/devaluation-naira-nigerians-hard-time[/url]
Rising from the two-day meeting, the CBN
took holistic monetary palliative aimed at
ensuring naira exchange rate stability and
forestalling the potentially dangerous
impact of the falling oil prices in the
international oil market on the Nigerian
economy. It reduced the official naira-to-
dollar exchange rate to [size=18pt]N168/$[/size] forcing
down the currency by N13, down from
N155/$1 as the country struggles to reshape
its fiscal policies in response to dwindling oil
price which has taken its toll on the foreign
reserves and raised the benchmark interest
rate

STOP!!!

Between December 15 to December 21 the naira has exchanged between 178 (lowest) to 187 (highest) yet, throughout this period, The official rate from CBN still remain 168

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=NGN&view=1W

http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

This is what it mean by official and parallel market and as citizens we are concerned with the parallel market because that is how much your bank will exchange for you.

If you agree to this, then the exchange during Buhari time is not 0.8 but 1.7 even the man himself said it was 1.5... I fail to understand your argument

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by crownwealth: 6:11pm On Dec 21, 2014
Remarkable:
Oga, stop lieing!

Crazy guy.

Yeeeeee, egbami ooooooo

Haaaaaaa

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by rozayx5(m): 6:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:
Fellow Nigerians,

Once again the truth has been told about Major General Mohamodu Buhari Rtd. lies about his economic policy during his draconian rule of 1983-1985.

The record is now set straight

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Shalom

Firefire!

N:B: Every other factor(s) is debatable.

E&OE

datolee i think after this post
this issue has been dead and buried, if barcanista knows maths he will study the post above me, and know GEJ has stabilised the naira more than buhari over a longer period of time which is harder

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

STOP!!!

Between December 15 to December 21 the naira has exchanged between 178 (lowest) to 187 (highest) yet, throughout this period, The official rate from CBN still remain 168

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=NGN&view=1W

http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

This is what it mean by official and parallel market and as citizens we are concerned with the parallel market because that is how much your bank will exchange for you.

If you agree to this, then the exchange during Buhari time is not 0.8 but 1.7 even the man himself said it was 1.5... I fail to understand your argument
Guy when trading with the bankn the standard exchange anÐ not "black market" rate is used. When doing international transaction with your naira mastercard, the standard rate (as cited in google or xe.com) is used against whatever the "Ab.o.ki" use as his. Like I said earlier, I won't engage in unnecessary argument(just like I avoided your thread). I challenge you to call your street merchant and see if he will sell at that rate to you. the CBN stated figure in their archive with date that is unupdates. Befre the devaluation, the CBN and XE.com rates are always at par or something close. I will only argue updated figure. #Peace
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by blackfase(m): 6:18pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hmmm, wisdom! Its kinda safe to assume that was the scenario cos such data is usually logged for the archives at the close of any particular year but I get your point. The mudslinging & tirade even with verifiable stats is already nauseatingly fearsome enough innit lol......

Obiagelli:

I haven't found a link to back that up, i don't usually want to say most of the things i know because i don't have links for them.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

GMB (1983-1985)
Official Rate 0.89
Parrellel Mrkt 1.7 90%

GEJ (2014)
Official Rate 168.0
Parrellel Mrkt 185.0 10%

In whatever form, GMB ran a bad economic policy if you ask me. undecided
In my little understanding, for parallel or black market price to be so high compare to official market it means there is high restrictions to non official exchange of dollar that policy was to force all foreign exchange to pass through official market so as to properly manage and control the xchange rate.
I think you can easily find answer to why it is opposite I'm the second regime.
Thanks.
Re: Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
barcanista:
Guy when trading with the bankn the standard exchange anÐ not "black market" rate is used. When doing international transaction with your naira mastercard, the standard rate (as cited in google or xe.com) is used against whatever the "Ab.o.ki" use as his. Like I said earlier, I won't engage in unnecessary argument(just like I avoided your thread). I challenge you to call your street merchant and see if he will sell at that rate to you. the CBN stated figure in their archive with date that is unupdates. Befre the devaluation, the CBN and XE.com rates are always at par or something close. I will only argue updated figure. #Peace

I will try not to call you a liar, but guy, you are distorting the fact. The link to the CBN is updated!!! PLEASE STOP!

12/18/2014 US DOLLAR 167 167.5 168

POUNDS STERLING 261.2214 262.0035 262.7856

EURO 204.9758 205.5895 206.2032

SWISS FRANC 170.0957 170.605 171.1143

12/17/2014 US DOLLAR 167 167.5 168

POUNDS STERLING 262.5741 263.3603 264.1464

EURO 208.0152 208.638 209.2608

SWISS FRANC 173.2006 173.7191 174.2377

Swiss franc was selling at 174 on 12/17/2014 while on 12/18/2014 it was selling at 171.. what makes the figure not updated? you are losing the argument already. http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

Like I said, the official exchange in 1985 was 0.8 but the real exchange rate was 1.7! just as today, the official exchange rate is 168 but the real exchange rate is 187

One more point for you... You said previously that during Buhari regime, it was mandatory to sell goods at specific price without much markup and hording... the question, why did the same government allow the disparity in exchange rate? the disparity is more than 100% between official rate and parallel market?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why EFCC Detained Me ― Ex-Senate President Anyim / Ijelespeaks Gets Court Affidavit To Speak Against Nnamdi Kanu - IT IS FINISHED / Lagos Government To Commence Construction Of Lekki Ferry In September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.