Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,020 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. (7273 Views)

PHOTO*Buari Plans To Introduce Sharia To Nigeria,Read This Quote He Made In 2001 / Buhari Calls For A Total Sharia In Nigeria (Published 2001) / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Kweenisha: 3:32pm On Dec 09, 2008
bush2 writes

Assallam, even though to whom i write this topic may not see it but please if you are opportune to read give it a wider publicity, analysis has been made and found that majority of the people living in Lagos are muslim faithfull so i did not see the reason why the Executive Governor of Lagos and his Cabinet will not introduce the Shari'a legal system in the State, Shari'a legal system bring love, peace, harmony, happiness, and understanding among muslim and none muslim, if someone looks at the Nigerian State that introduced Sharia they are living in harmony and understanding, Shari'a as it is concern only Muslim, all the rules and regulation therein will only be applicable on muslim, 4 example in Kano State when Shari'a legal System is about to be introduce romours has been going on trying to divide the society but today as the system has fully been implemented both the muslim and non muslim are living together with love,peace,harmony, and understanding of the role to be played by each in the society. Lastly i'm calling on His Excellency the Executive Governor of Lagos State to kindly introduce the Shari'a legal  system in the state which will assist in eradicating some of the persistant social vices. This author can be contact on this email address frg8000@gmail.com   tanx.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-205421.0.html#msg3199765
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by bawomolo(m): 3:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
turkey is predominantly muslim and doesn't have sharia. these mumu's need to know the meaning of a constitutionally secular country.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2008
and kweenisha was banned for starting this topic shocked shocked
but the truth remains the truth.
If Yorubas and Nigerians allow these sons of usman dan fodio to do this,I will destroy my Nigerian passport.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by earTHMama: 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2008
and kweenisha was banned for starting this topic 
If Yorubas and Nigerians allow these sons of usman dan fodio to do this,I will destroy my Nigerian passport.
shocked shocked
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 09, 2008
osisi*:

and kweenisha was banned for starting this topic shocked shocked

You still consider Nigeria your country?
Ya better move on and claim your adopted country. That banana republic is a disgrace.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 09, 2008
Sharia ko lipsrsealed
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 6:05pm On Dec 09, 2008
davidylan:

You still consider Nigeria your country?
Ya better move on and claim your adopted country. That banana republic is a disgrace.

It's hard.
We have property,family and deep roots in that place,I can't just forget it like that
But this mindset shown by this person makes me sick
and I'm very sure he's not alone.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 6:07pm On Dec 09, 2008
ibkaye:

Sharia ko lipsrsealed

you better go and find a tailor that makes a stylish burqua grin
before they give you a generic type
sharia my bakassi
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Frizy(m): 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2008
@poster

Is that your headache angry. Or was he referring to you.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by TayoD1(m): 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2008
@osisi,

Better not destroy that passport yet. It still has some value. Imagine if you were caught in the situation in Mumbai and all you had was your American Passport!? lipsrsealed grin So you see, that passport could save your life under the "right" circumstances. grin grin grin
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2008
osisi*:

you better go and find a tailor that makes a stylish burqua grin
before they give you a generic type
sharia my bakassi
Lmao cheesy
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 09, 2008
Frizy:

@poster

Is that your headache angry. Or was he referring to you.

Oh break a leg dude.  lipsrsealed

Sharia in Lagos . . . why? Is Nigeria now a caliphate?
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Frizy(m): 6:18pm On Dec 09, 2008
davidylan:

Oh break a leg dude.  lipsrsealed

Sharia in Lagos . . . why? Is Nigeria now a caliphate?

Well, I see nothing wrong in having ideas to make it one.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2008
Frizy:

and you expect us to celebrate that "noble"idea ?
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Frizy(m): 6:26pm On Dec 09, 2008
osisi*:

and you expect us to celebrate that "noble"idea ?

As a matter of fact, not everybody is expected to celebrate its advent. When we know fully well the level of corrupt and indecent practices among the majority.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by earTHMama: 6:27pm On Dec 09, 2008
Better not destroy that passport yet. It still has some value. Imagine if you were caught in the situation in Mumbai and all you had was your American Passport!?   So you see, that passport could save your life under the "right" circumstances.
Nigerian passport will get you killed instantly because a Nigerian must have defrauded at least one terrorist there before.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 09, 2008
Frizy:

typical muslim - inconsiderate, intolerant, hypocrites.
Would you also be welcoming of Mosaic laws in Lagos?

Frizy:

As a matter of fact, not everybody is excepted to celebrate its advent. When we know fully well the level of corrupt and indecent practices among the majority.

We have sharia law in Saudi Arabia . . . we know how corrupt they are. Lets not even mention northern nigerian cesspools of poverty and raping of the national treasury.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Frizy(m): 6:39pm On Dec 09, 2008
davidylan:

typical muslim - inconsiderate, intolerant, hypocrites.
Would you also be welcoming of Mosaic laws in Lagos?

@davidlyan

This is not the religious section but I want to make things clear. It is not a matter of being inconsiderate, what a group of people hold sacred is rather an indoctrination that is believed to put their affairs in order. Does the Sharia say we should kill Christians because of their belief? Absolutely not, since Nigeria has tried different models that were all unsuccessful, what is wrong in implementing one advocated by a Supreme Being whose Laws have no contradictions or problems if followed with sincerity? undecided

We have sharia law in Saudi Arabia . . . we know how corrupt they are. Lets not even mention northern nigerian cesspools of poverty and raping of the national treasury.

These people you keep mentioning are either apostates or hypocrites hiding in Islam.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by grafikdon: 6:43pm On Dec 09, 2008
Sons of Usuman Dan Fodio better give up the idea of dipping their book in the Atlantic ocean since every available space has been taken by the books of  Amadioha, Sango, Christ, Olumba Olumba, Soponna, Egbesu. . . etc etc. . .  grin grin The sooner they wake up from this pipe dream, the better. . .  grin
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 09, 2008
Frizy:

@davidlyan

This is not the religious section but I want to make things clear. It is not a matter of being inconsiderate, what a group of people hold sacred is rather an indoctrination that is believed to put their affairs in order. Does the Sharia say we should kill Christians because of their belief? Absolutely not, since Nigeria has tried different models that were all unsuccessful, what is wrong in implementing one advocated by a Supreme Being whose Laws have not contradictions or problems if followed with sincerity? undecided

It seems we cant find anyone people following this laws with "sincerity". Saudi Arabia is supposed to be the seat of Islam and yet is no example we wish to follow . . . care to tell us how these laws really work?

Frizy:

These people you keep mentioning are either apostates or hypocrites hiding in Islam.

Seems every muslim society are apostates and hypocrites. Where are the real muslims?
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 7:23pm On Dec 09, 2008
grafikdon:

Sons of Usuman Dan Fodio better give up the idea of dipping their book in the Atlantic ocean since every available space has been taken by the books Amadioha, Sango, Christ, Olumba Olumba. . . etc etc. . . grin grin The sooner they wake up from this pipe dream, the better. . . grin

na for hot piss we go dip am for my area. grin
rubbish!
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by lucabrasi(m): 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2008
@post
i really dont see this as a huge worry even if it is introduced, from my understanding of sharia law it is only used on people who chose to not forced down anyone's throat, united kingdom which is one of the pillars of christianity has allowed sharia law as a bye law to be practices by the muslims in addittion to the english laws and is actually used in marriages and settling of other issues if you chose to be bound by it
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Ibime(m): 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2008
Sharia was written for people of the desert . . . .the customs and traditions laid out in Sharia cannot be practised in tropical rainforest areas such as Southern Nigeria. . . . imagine wearing Burkha inside creek for Niger Delta. . . . it's not practical mehn. . .
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2008
lucabrasi:

@post
i really don't see this as a huge worry even if it is introduced, from my understanding of sharia law it is only used on people who chose to not forced down anyone's throat, united kingdom which is one of the pillars of christianity has allowed sharia law as a bye law to be practices by the muslims in addittion to the english laws and is actually used in marriages and settling of other issues if you chose to be bound by it

you're comparing Nigeria to the UK ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
They also have an airline called Biitish Airways,we have Okada
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by earTHMama: 7:54pm On Dec 09, 2008
Any day I hear that sharia is in Osun state , I'll invest in guns and machetes and form a womens liberation movement that will be known as osun bella revolutionary front. angry angry angry
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 09, 2008
lucabrasi:

@post
i really don't see this as a huge worry even if it is introduced, from my understanding of sharia law it is only used on people who chose to not forced down anyone's throat, united kingdom which is one of the pillars of christianity has allowed sharia law as a bye law to be practices by the muslims in addittion to the english laws and is actually used in marriages and settling of other issues if you chose to be bound by it

All these people who don't "see this as a huge worry". Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia?
The reason sharia doesnt seem to be a "problem" i.e. not forced down anyone's throat in the UK is because muslims are in the minority there. Once muslims gain the majority be sure Sharia is coming down your throat like a battering ram.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by kosovo(m): 8:27pm On Dec 09, 2008
just passing by and i have just read the most DUMB! post ever in nairaland.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by RibaduFan(m): 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2008
@Poster

Lagos is predominantly christain.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 11:27pm On Dec 09, 2008
Shariah is already in Lagos, in fact most of the major cities in Nigeria. Implementing Shariah courts in a country, state, or city, is not becoming an Islamic state, country, or city. It is very different also to Implementing Shariah laws in the state, city, or country.

Lagos has Shariah courts already being implemented, Muslims themselves have choice to go to whichever Court they like, whether Shariah, Christian, Constitutional, which ever exists, you are never forced to go to Shariah court as a Muslim even in Kano or other Islamic states, except the case where those states that implement Shariah Laws, then if a Muslim breaks that law, as a Muslim he will face the Shariah Judgement, but still as a Nigerian which is bound by constitutional laws he has the right to go to Appeal Courts if he is not satisfied with the Judgement in the Shariah court, in that case that person will be legally bound by the laws of Nigeria not Shariah.

So, implementing Shariah Law in Lagos or anywhere in Southern Nigeria will be merely impossible, and if tried, it will bring Violence, because there are many non-Muslims who misunderstood what Shariah means and ignorantly define it as cutting hands on whichever law you break, but of course there are lots of Shariah Courts in Lagos which a Muslim can choose to go for Judgements.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 11:35pm On Dec 09, 2008

"Church of Scotland backs Islamic sharia law courts." The Scotsman. Scotsman Publications. 2008. HighBeam Research. 9 Dec. 2008 <http://www.highbeam.com>

THE Church of Scotland last night welcomed the possibility of introducing sharia law courts in Scotland.

Rev Ian Galloway, convener of the Church and Society Council, said sharia courts had been unfairly portrayed following the Archbishop of Canterbury's comments in February that it "seems unavoidable" that parts of Islamic sharia law would be adopted in the UK.

Yesterday, The Scotsman revealed the Muslim Arbitration Tribunal, based in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, was holding secret talks with lawyers and community groups about setting up sharia courts north of the Border.

Mr Galloway said: "What is being brought to us is not some kind of parallel jurisdiction that replaces our legal system; rather it is a space, within a given community, for disputes to be resolved."

But he added that sharia courts must meet three crucial standards - they must not preclude recourse to the courts, must not break fundamental tenets of the Human Rights Act and the rights of women must be respected.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by RibaduFan(m): 11:36pm On Dec 09, 2008
is anything wrong with the current judicial system
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 11:42pm On Dec 09, 2008
Maybe, even in the more civilised world, if you didn't forget, The Archbishop of Canterbury said that Shariah is accommodating. Find below;

NICHOLAS CECIL, JASON BEATTIE. "Sharia courts already in operation across London ; Senior clergy join attack on the Archbishop as it emerges that Islamic trial 'freed knife teenagers'." Evening Standard - London. Associated Newspapers Ltd. 2008. HighBeam Research. 9 Dec. 2008 <http://www.highbeam.com>.

SHARIA law "courts" are already dealing with crime on the streets of London, it emerged today.

The revelation came after the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, called for an "accommodation" with parts of the Islamic legal code in a speech which attracted widespread condemnation.

Dr Williams is today under pressure to step down after he was attacked by his own senior clergy including the Bishop of Southwark, the Rt Rev Tom Butler.

The Archbishop said parts of civil law could be dealt with under the sharia system but already some communities have gone much further and it was revealed today that a teenage stabbing case among the Somali community in Woolwich had been dealt with by a sharia "trial".

Youth worker Aydarus Yusuf, 29, who was involved in arranging the hearing, said a group of Somali youths were arrested by police on suspicion of stabbing another Somali teenager.

The victim's family told officers the matter would be settled out of court and the suspects were released on bail.

A hearing was convened and elders ordered the assailants to compensate the victim. "All their uncles and their fathers were there," said Mr Yusuf. "So they all put something towards that and apologised for the wrongdoing." The Met said it could not find any record of an incident corresponding to the alleged Woolwich stabbing.

A spokesman said:"We pursue all investigations to a conclusion and do not defer to any other court system." The exact timing of the stabbing described by Mr Yusuf is unclear, which could explain the Met's inability to find a trace of it.

An Islamic Council in Leyton also revealed that it had dealt with more than 7,000 "divorces" while sharia courts in the capital have settled hundreds of financial disputes.

Today's revelations came as MPs suggested it was time for Dr Williams to step down amid condemnation from the Government and the Opposition.

Conservative MP Mark Pritchard said: "The Archbishop has many attributes but perhaps it's time for him to have a very long sabbatical." Dr Williams's comments have bitterly divided the Church and there has even been talk among some clergy of a bishops' revolt to oust the leader of the Church of England.

One vicar said: "It's like sending a postcard to al Qaeda saying we have lost the will to defend our western values." But others sprung to the Archbishop's defence, including the Bishop of Hulme, the Rt Rev Stephen Lowe.

He said: "The way he has been ridiculed, lampooned and treated by some people and indeed some of the media within this process, is quite disgraceful.

It is a shame on our nation." Along with the Islamic Council in Leyton, there are reports of at least two other sharia courts sitting in London.

There are also courts in other areas of the country with high Muslim populations, including Dewsbury in West Yorkshire, Birmingham and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Most are understood to concentrate on divorce cases although such judgments are not recognised in British law as well as financial disputes.

Those involved say the advantage of such hearings is they can avoid the need for formal, and expensive, litigation in civil courts and offer a relatively simple way of resolving disputes.

Suhaib Hasan, a spokesman for the Islamic Sharia Council in Leyton, said he and his colleagues dealt with more than 200 cases a year, ranging from inheritance to marriage and divorce.

"From the beginning, people have wanted our services. More and more come back to us. Each month we deal with 20 cases," he said.

Religious leaders, Cabinet ministers, equality chiefs and MPs all lined up to attack Dr Williams after his speech to the Royal Courts of Justice yesterday.

The Bishop of Southwark also spoke out against sharia law being brought into the country. He said: "It will take a great deal more thought and work before I think it's a good idea." Asked on BBC Radio 4's Today programme whether the Church of

England leader should have been more diplomatic, Dr Butler said: "The Archbishop has a way with language but this was a very heavy lecture." He admitted that Dr Williams had entered a "minefield" with his views on sharia and it was not clear whether he would start to backtrack. He said: "Like all bishops I'm waking up this morning to a shoal of emails from clergy asking what's going on." Culture Secretary Andy Burnham criticised the Archbishop's stance on giving sharia some form of legal status in Britain. He said: "This isn't a path down which we should go. You cannot run two systems of law alongside each other. That in my view would be a recipe for chaos, social chaos. British law has to be based on British values." Leading Christian Tory MP Peter Luff said the Archbishop should stick to promoting his Church's values. He added: "His job is not to make it easier for extreme Islam views to gain a foothold in the UK." Gordon Brown also intervened to say he believed "British laws should be based on British values".

Dr Williams claimed allowing sharia to be used to resolve family and financial disputes could help social cohesion in Britain and people should choose which legal system to use.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Ezekwesili Lied Shamelessly – Doyin Okupe / BREAKING NEWS- Gov Fayose Defeated APC Again 26-0 / Possible Solution To Nigeria's Health Care Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.