Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? (25763 Views)

How To Open And Run A School Successfully / I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? / How To Make A Poultry Incubator At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by elprokez(m): 10:03am On Dec 24, 2014
Atk01:
grin Hilarious!

I can't forget the sunday when our dogs broke into the poultry cage and ate all the young turkeys! angry . My mum just packed up and forgot about poultry business.

Lmfao... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Poultry tinz on every Nigerian mind
Hehehe
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by kwencypresh(f): 10:04am On Dec 24, 2014
buahahahahahhahahahahaahahhaha

Gaining weight on d feathers

Dos chickens get mind ooooo

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ikennaoma(m): 10:04am On Dec 24, 2014
Poultry buz is very nice one 2 do. But u must follow every step required at any given time. I hv done that b4 and I never regretted out of 200 birds 195 survived
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 24, 2014
I'll need proof dat you are not already Mad b4 I can answer dis Question.....next please
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Okeycima: 10:07am On Dec 24, 2014
Ok ur stroy funny die but from the above story u guys didn't acknowledge this: 1.that poulty house size if it contained them.it can contained them wen they r young but as they r growing will it b large to contain them.2.did u guys give them which type of feed?is it Vita feed or the other?did u add food supplement to the feed as the grow?and did u guys buy the drugs 4 the chick 4rm the register poulty farm u bought the chicks?did u adminster them as the grow?3.do u normally give the chick everyday free time to roam about in ur compound and watch another food that they consume that u guys don't give to them.AND LASTLY DON'T BUY DAY OLDS IF U R NOT READY TO CRY AND MAN UP rather go 4 the ones of 3 weeks and more especially the Ones call OBASANJO SPEICES
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by fzero: 10:09am On Dec 24, 2014
Poultry business has its do's and don't.. I will advice u visit www.agricnetwork.com there are professionals in the forum to guide you to success. Goodluck
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 24, 2014
Well written piece...hilarious, silly with a hint of seriousness...kudos
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by bobkezel(m): 10:12am On Dec 24, 2014
Who be dis naijasingle girl sef. If i catch you der eh? Why you wan make laff tear my belle dis early morning. Nice one. Keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by dude99(m): 10:16am On Dec 24, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:
The proceeds from poultry business seems high during festive period . That was exactly what my parents taught when they ventured into poultry farming in May. Our vision for the business was to be the No1 supplier of Christmas chickens in our street come December 2014.
We invited a professional poultry farmer over who lectured us intensively on how to manage one successfully including the type of feed at different growth stage, housing conditions, light, medicine etc
Prior to that, we had eight local chickens and one large agric broiler we rear for domestic purposes like crowing, playing ( I have this weird habit of talking to animals) or slaughtering when an unexpected august visitor shows up.
Done with the setup, we kick-started the business with 170 one day old chicks and 12 sacks of feed.
Everything seemed rosy. l was positive the business would boom beyond leaps that I wouldn't have to look for a job anymore.
Three days after, 7 of the chicks died. We assumed it was the collateral damage of transporting fragile 1-day old birds.

Three months later, our losses hit a total of 32 birds. We also noticed they were growing at a very slow pace.
Four months and a little over 110 chicks left, our business hit the breakeven mark. Their size from a distance seemed large but on a closer examination, they weighed light. Technically, they were only adding weight in their feathers so we topped their diet with supplements.
We noticed a improvement in their weight but the mortality rate was still rising progressively.

Most of them died at the slightest provocation. To put it mildly, the birds were getting too emotional for my liking. I couldn't even speak to chickens like I usually do for fear that I might make an offensive joke and they will just withdraw somewhere to commit suicide. Notwithstanding, dying was still their principal hobby.
I would go in to top their feed and before I get done, there would be one casualty. Improper man handling of the birds while changing sawdust and another dead bird would surface. You give them water to drink and one will choke on the water and die.
Every morning, we had to check the poultry house with a shovel in hand cos there was always a damned bird to bury.
Meanwhile, the domestic fowls who ate from the contents of our waste bin, suffered kicks from my siblings and slept on trees were thriving better with zero mortality.

The height of it all was the day the large agric broiler which was the alpha cock died.
It took ill four days before and refused to respond to treatment. We were all having a family time at the backyard when my dad told my kid brother to bring it out so he could inspect it. I will never forget that day!
I was sitting by one corner, sipping lucozade boost with crackers.
Suddenly, the alpha cock started vibrating and making weird sounds. "Its dying. Its dying." My dad screamed. "Naijasinglegirl, bring me that your lucozade boost now!"
Gobsmacked, I rushed over to meet him and he snatched the energy drink from my hand, used his hands to forcefully open its beak and emptied it into the chicken's mouth, drenching it in the process.
The chicken died a few minutes after.
Knowing my parents are hypertensive, the look on my mum's face broke my heart.
We were done with the business.
We released all 81 of them so they could roam freely and survive the way local chickens did.
The whole compound became a mess with chicken poop everywhere. *Sigh*

Surprisingly, the death ratio dropped drastically. However, we had a new challenge which was thieves. Our fence is pretty low and we couldn't tell if it were a dog or a human being that took 7 of the chickens in two nights.
The following day, my mum had to go from restaurant to restaurant looking for who to auction the chickens to.
The restaurant that agreed to buy from us insisted we dress the chickens or they were going to patronise their regular supplier.
Suffice to say, that's how I ended up as a chicken butcher.
I was allotted 15 of the chickens to behead. (My siblings took care of the rest.) A chicken genocide took place in my compound that day. I was so disgusted with all that chicken blood. If I had my way, I would have preferred to strangle them for the shit they put us through.
We eventually sold everything at a loss except for 3 which are going to kill tomorrow in honour of the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

http://naijasinglegirl.com/we-ran-a-poultry-farm-first-then-the-poultry-farm-ran-us-mad/
Am happy I read this!I love your sense f humour!But you try,me sef dey scared of killing 1 chicken not to talk of you killing 15 chickens. I would have just line them up on the road and kill them with my car.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Emdee590(m): 10:17am On Dec 24, 2014
bright007:
booking space....will comment later

ok....i am back...infact this thread made me laugh sotey i was considering voting for Buhari.....(for where?/never)

pls make a duplicate of this thread and take it to the joke section....highly recommended
I tell you.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Bukkiminat(f): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2014
Poultry Farming is nt as eazy as people think it is..Farmers that have engaged in this kind of shit know what i'm saying

Poultry Farming is meant for Farmers that have d time,money n one major factor is Endurance...without this, my dear u can't succeed in Poultry Farming

We have here in our compound a Poultry on a semi large scale farming..it consumes a lot of time..their feeding, changing of water,drugs, constant attention...we visit d poultry every 2hrs....there is no how u can engage in Poultry farming without having dead hens......

You must ensure that there is water in dre drinking trough 24/7...
Though Poultry Farming is profit oriented if u know ur way n location matters anyway...

MERRY XMAS

Order 4ya Xmas Chicken....Cockerel,Broilers @ a cheaper rate...

Av a wonderful Xmas Celebration

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by adeyemi91(m): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2014
thefakestan:
Well if you are talking about Chicks

It means you need a lot of Cash!
krazy... Hilarious lol
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ganasy: 10:25am On Dec 24, 2014
its a sad situation but your write up made it interesting to read....Nice write up and goodluck next time
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 10:25am On Dec 24, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:

A chicken genocide took place in my compound that day.

I advice u don't try it as on of them could be mad like this

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by cocoduck: 10:31am On Dec 24, 2014
ignis:
Poultry business is all about grace and calling. If it's not your calling, forget it and look for another business.
Poultry business like other businesses need mentor(s) or start with a few birds like 20 or less and ask questions, he who asks questions does not get lost. You guys had spoiled everything from beginning by setting an unrealistic target by wanting to go big too quickly with little experience. business is a hot soup that needs to be eaten little by little. Don't give up, try again, it is not the end of the world, it is experiences like this that makes one great and adds to the national GDP.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by esere826: 10:32am On Dec 24, 2014
@naijasinglegirl

I spent my growing up years with lots and lots of chickens
the benefits were lots of chicken legs and eggs to eat

With regards to its business potential, you hit the nail on the head
lots of death from disease and even weather, theft by gatemen and those that scale the fence,
dogs and snakes having a field day trying to steal the chickens and the eggs

And then, middlemen pricing your chicken at ridiculous prices
If you decide to sell your chickens directly to consumers
they suddenly become pricing champions

After learning from my mums life time of chicken scandals
I think the best strategy (which I was going to try if I had dared the poultry business) is to have an eatery and confectionary that is supplied by your poultry

The trick would be to kill the chickens once you've broken even with some profits
i.e, you subtract the cost of the chicks as babies and the feeding + labour till date
from the market value of the size of the chicken

Nigerians like hard chicken a lot
so you grill them en masse till they are hard before using in your restaurant

You keep some to sell alive to consumers
the ones you keep are those you notice are fast growers

With such a strategy, you'd do quite well in your poultry business

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by frankmoney(m): 10:35am On Dec 24, 2014
Lol....following naijasingle girl since 1880 ....the girl is so funny
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Funjosh(m): 10:37am On Dec 24, 2014
LOLZ.....

Honestly when you so much love something so much, you just have to act crazy that is what ur dad did by giving boost to a dieing fowl.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Baddestguyp(m): 10:41am On Dec 24, 2014
so ur dad calls you naijasinglegirl
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by chibwike(m): 10:44am On Dec 24, 2014
Lmao....Rotf...naijasinglegirl if i loose my job coz of you.....i'd sue you oh....warrisdis!...Lmao
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ibrokola(m): 10:49am On Dec 24, 2014
Eiyaa. First of all, at the start of the poultry, you should have had a vertinary doctor for them who will tell you what vaccines they need and when. Secondly, once you started noticing their mortality rate was high, you should have called the Vet to come check them immediately. And finally, never let home chickens or animals come near your poultry as they will infect them! Even you taking care of the poultry should have a different cloth and footwear specifically for attending to the birds so as not to infect them! Sorry dear.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 10:49am On Dec 24, 2014
Baddestguyp:
so ur dad calls you naijasinglegirl
I had to substitute it for my real name. Abi, You want me to blow my cover? Eh?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 10:50am On Dec 24, 2014
kennygee:

My mum had to pay 20k to someone when our dog also went into someone's turkey's cage and ate them a week to Christmas two years ago.
lmao. I can't laugh please.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by stagger: 10:52am On Dec 24, 2014
The Lucozade Boost part was the clincher. Wow.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 10:52am On Dec 24, 2014
An0nimus:
Lmao at the Lucozade boost part grin

Poultry business looks easier from the outside but the thing dey like rocket science. My cousin recently lost all his chickens before this Christmas season. Over hundred of them. Had to console him. Seriously one can run mad when that happens.

Exactly what we thought! Very depressing business. Now we are stuck we leftovers of chicken feed and I wonder if I am supposed to eat them when I am hungry. Sigh
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Donpuffy(m): 10:55am On Dec 24, 2014
Hello bro, ur story is very sad.
All I deduce from ur story is that d chicken need a very large breeding space. They dnt av to be choked inside 1 room. And as they are growing, keep reducing the number of chicken in one room. 20 broilers can grow successfully in a room. (3*3 asbestos room).
I just finished selling 36 broilers 2day out of 50 Dat o ordered for abt 4months back. I retained 10 for Xmas, new year and family consumption. Lost 4 throughout the rearing

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by upsyLi(m): 10:58am On Dec 24, 2014
Mr. Op I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm a student of animal health and production technology from Federal college of Animal health and production technology Moor plantation Ibadan.
Mr. op poultry business is not something you just rush into as I'm I've been learning this course for the past four years it takes knowledge and the grace of God to raise those birds.
According to your post. its true when the birds are allowed to roam about and eat whatsoever it tends to increase there immunity in a natural way. But because of next time, when you observe such a high mortality rate, consult an expert to find out the cause of death cus it might just be common coccidiosis or the mighty Newcastle disease probably caused by vaccine failure etc.
The last set of broilers I raised, I only lost three at a tender stage.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by onatisi(m): 11:01am On Dec 24, 2014
Poultry business is the most risky out of all animal farming business, the next to it is pig farming .

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by emperor94(m): 11:09am On Dec 24, 2014
It's a hilarious story, tho!! But what I knw is that;
1.Sawdust kills birds. why? Because they contain asbestos. You knw what that is, right? Those finely ground ones simply just block their respiratory systems. Fine dry sand is best.
2. When you keep birds together:
i. diseases are easily transmitted, and some have weaker immune system than others and they tend to die off easily. So probably when one is obviously sick,then all need treatment.
ii. they do not grow at the same rate, the little/weaker ones can be starved or 'bullied' and they can die off quickly. The best is to pick them out and separate them from the ones and give them double ration as well as supplements.
This whole thing is from experience and I hope it helps,if it does,I hope to get one chicken come next Christmas.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by bondingman: 11:21am On Dec 24, 2014
Really funny.
Well from your story u made some errors in rearing. First, u don't local chickens etc around d compound when u have a poultry bc of cross infection. Secondly, the expert wasn't involved in raising them.
Advice is get the chicks from a veterinary doctor who'll give u a timetable of drugs to raise them on, diagnose cause of death to avoid more lose by treating etc
The farm u got ur chicks from matters, from experience CHI birds are d best
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by bondingman: 11:21am On Dec 24, 2014
bondingman:
Really funny.
Well from your story u made some errors in rearing. First, u don't allow local chickens etc around d compound when u have a poultry bc of cross infection. Secondly, the expert wasn't involved in raising them.
Advice is get the chicks from a veterinary doctor who'll give u a timetable of drugs to raise them on, diagnose cause of death to avoid more lose by treating etc
The farm u got ur chicks from matters, from experience CHI birds are d best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Palm Oil Storage Business Investment (buying & Selling) In Nigeria. / Thread For Maize Farmers / Agriculture Grants Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.