Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? (25755 Views)

How To Open And Run A School Successfully / I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? / How To Make A Poultry Incubator At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by jerrygome: 5:22pm On Dec 24, 2014
Spidermon:
NaijaSingleGirl is simply hilarious. Most original blog content I have read in years.
When it comes to animals, people rarely consult professionals till they get into deep poo. In poultry especially in 9ja, even experienced farmers sometimes have problems, the biz is that technical and vulnerable but the returns are very good. A lot of correct points have been raised.
For Veterinary medical services, u can call 07030054811 or pm this handle.
If you fit help me find work sef, I no mind ooo. Ese oo

You got that right . Naijasinglegirl got skillz and humour. Humour which 2Pac depicts in his lyric below

But whatever you see, through all the rain and pain
You gotta keep a sense of humor
Gotta be able to smile through all this bulls.hi.t
Remember that just keep ya head up___from the song Smile

Naijasinglegirl got humour and if you've got that plus originality then I'm your fan cos I'm a huge sucker for humour
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by opeboy: 5:23pm On Dec 24, 2014
Gozychuks:
Broilers for sale.

Please educate me. What is the cost of raising 100 broilers for 8 weeks with respect to feeds? please I need the weekly analysis and price. thank you
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by nothingdou1(m): 6:49pm On Dec 24, 2014
"Its dying. Its dying." My dad screamed. "Naijasinglegirl, bring me that your lucozade boost now!"
So wetin dem dey call u 4 house na "Naijasinglegirl"?funny girl.sotee una give d fowl lucozade boost,make e get energy like michael power abi.babe I hail una
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by romzyxy(m): 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
I couldn't even speak to chickens like I usually do for fear that I might make an offensive joke and they will just withdraw somewhere to commit suicide.

xo u do speak to chickens? funny u know just imagining d whole scenario. But u pipu shud v make use of ba3 cage na. Doe it is xpenxive bt it is worth everytin. Veri sad story indeed. Hope remainin chicken stay alive o. ♥♥♥♥♥
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Poindexter: 7:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
Hilarious piece!
Naijasinglegirl, you should try stand-up comedy.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by kpeteman(m): 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
hahahahahah locozade boost? this is an insult to agricbuisiness, again u talk to animals? u must be Dr. dolittle
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 8:29pm On Dec 24, 2014
Poindexter:
Hilarious piece!
I'm a shy girl grin
Poindexter:
Hilarious piece!
I'm a shy girl
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 8:30pm On Dec 24, 2014
kpeteman:
hahahahahah locozade boost? this is an insult to agricbuisiness, again u talk to animals? u must be Dr. dolittle
lol
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by excel111(m): 8:53pm On Dec 24, 2014
Go for rabbits production. ..one cannot run mad here.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by macklef(m): 9:09pm On Dec 24, 2014
Lmao. Mehn babe, nice write up.

I lost intrest in chicken too d day my mum started rearing all this useless agric chickens.
Of course, dey die at the slightest provocation grin
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by benzion72(m): 9:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
This is very funny. But honestly it is painful. Poultry biz is very sensitive and it take more from you probably than the returns you get from it. Poultry taught me so many lessons I will never forget. It made me appreciate the entrepreneurs as the master if the business. If you are an employee and Poultry bird is dying on your farm where you work you don't feel a thing. You can even dress the mortality. But if you are the owner and birds are dying capital depreciating you feel the pinch God saves you, you are not using bank money that is why you don't see bank lending to agriculture the risk is too high.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by franksam2009: 11:56pm On Dec 24, 2014
lolz, funny speech! i like your sense of humor
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:59pm On Dec 24, 2014
hmmmm u dont need to labor long, good biz,get d do & dont and next time,u fare well. The Lord have mercy & restore your losses
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by kid7soccer(m): 4:10am On Dec 25, 2014
laff one kill me, chai abeg move dis topic to joke section. but seriously before u start a delicate business like dis, u need to do lot research and if possible undergo training, may an internship at a poultry farm would have helped ur business
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by fayahsoul: 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2014
Though i am into grasscutter farming i feel ur pain. Agriculture is a noble profession which demands endurance and courage but above all one needs exact knowledge on the dynamics of the animal or plant culture in question; without which failure is certain. Farmers study and apply natural laws. We aint gat time for fancy grammar. It's a hands-on stuff. Ignorance is dangerous.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by castruccio(m): 1:01am On Dec 28, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin Lucozade boost to chicken lmtao
Naijasinglegirl:
The proceeds from poultry business seems high during festive period . That was exactly what my parents taught when they ventured into poultry farming in May. Our vision for the business was to be the No1 supplier of Christmas chickens in our street come December 2014.
We invited a professional poultry farmer over who lectured us intensively on how to manage one successfully including the type of feed at different growth stage, housing conditions, light, medicine etc
Prior to that, we had eight local chickens and one large agric broiler we rear for domestic purposes like crowing, playing ( I have this weird habit of talking to animals) or slaughtering when an unexpected august visitor shows up.
Done with the setup, we kick-started the business with 170 one day old chicks and 12 sacks of feed.
Everything seemed rosy. l was positive the business would boom beyond leaps that I wouldn't have to look for a job anymore.
Three days after, 7 of the chicks died. We assumed it was the collateral damage of transporting fragile 1-day old birds.

Three months later, our losses hit a total of 32 birds. We also noticed they were growing at a very slow pace.
Four months and a little over 110 chicks left, our business hit the breakeven mark. Their size from a distance seemed large but on a closer examination, they weighed light. Technically, they were only adding weight in their feathers so we topped their diet with supplements.
We noticed a improvement in their weight but the mortality rate was still rising progressively.

Most of them died at the slightest provocation. To put it mildly, the birds were getting too emotional for my liking. I couldn't even speak to chickens like I usually do for fear that I might make an offensive joke and they will just withdraw somewhere to commit suicide. Notwithstanding, dying was still their principal hobby.
I would go in to top their feed and before I get done, there would be one casualty. Improper man handling of the birds while changing sawdust and another dead bird would surface. You give them water to drink and one will choke on the water and die.
Every morning, we had to check the poultry house with a shovel in hand cos there was always a damned bird to bury.
Meanwhile, the domestic fowls who ate from the contents of our waste bin, suffered kicks from my siblings and slept on trees were thriving better with zero mortality.

The height of it all was the day the large agric broiler which was the alpha cock died.
It took ill four days before and refused to respond to treatment. We were all having a family time at the backyard when my dad told my kid brother to bring it out so he could inspect it. I will never forget that day!
I was sitting by one corner, sipping lucozade boost with crackers.
Suddenly, the alpha cock started vibrating and making weird sounds. "Its dying. Its dying." My dad screamed. "Naijasinglegirl, bring me that your lucozade boost now!"
Gobsmacked, I rushed over to meet him and he snatched the energy drink from my hand, used his hands to forcefully open its beak and emptied it into the chicken's mouth, drenching it in the process.
The chicken died a few minutes after.
Knowing my parents are hypertensive, the look on my mum's face broke my heart.
We were done with the business.
We released all 81 of them so they could roam freely and survive the way local chickens did.
The whole compound became a mess with chicken poop everywhere. *Sigh*

Surprisingly, the death ratio dropped drastically. However, we had a new challenge which was thieves. Our fence is pretty low and we couldn't tell if it were a dog or a human being that took 7 of the chickens in two nights.
The following day, my mum had to go from restaurant to restaurant looking for who to auction the chickens to.
The restaurant that agreed to buy from us insisted we dress the chickens or they were going to patronise their regular supplier.
Suffice to say, that's how I ended up as a chicken butcher.
I was allotted 15 of the chickens to behead. (My siblings took care of the rest.) A chicken genocide took place in my compound that day. I was so disgusted with all that chicken blood. If I had my way, I would have preferred to strangle them for the shit they put us through.
We eventually sold everything at a loss except for 3 which are going to kill tomorrow in honour of the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

http://naijasinglegirl.com/we-ran-a-poultry-farm-first-then-the-poultry-farm-ran-us-mad/
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by iampartyboy(m): 9:30pm On Dec 28, 2014
ignis:
Poultry business is all about grace and calling. If it's not your calling, forget it and look for another business.

what makes u think other business is your calling too?
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 17, 2015
LMAO

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by gurusmac4: 11:31am On Jan 17, 2015
Register now with them, You will be Rewarded with a free $50 gift card!
Follow this link http://skylnk.co/kOJQfh
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by kay29000(m): 1:08pm On Jan 18, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
The proceeds from poultry business seems high during festive period . That was exactly what my parents taught when they ventured into poultry farming in May. Our vision for the business was to be the No1 supplier of Christmas chickens in our street come December 2014.
We invited a professional poultry farmer over who lectured us intensively on how to manage one successfully including the type of feed at different growth stage, housing conditions, light, medicine etc
Prior to that, we had eight local chickens and one large agric broiler we rear for domestic purposes like crowing, playing ( I have this weird habit of talking to animals) or slaughtering when an unexpected august visitor shows up.
Done with the setup, we kick-started the business with 170 one day old chicks and 12 sacks of feed.
Everything seemed rosy. l was positive the business would boom beyond leaps that I wouldn't have to look for a job anymore.
Three days after, 7 of the chicks died. We assumed it was the collateral damage of transporting fragile 1-day old birds.

Three months later, our losses hit a total of 32 birds. We also noticed they were growing at a very slow pace.
Four months and a little over 110 chicks left, our business hit the breakeven mark. Their size from a distance seemed large but on a closer examination, they weighed light. Technically, they were only adding weight in their feathers so we topped their diet with supplements.
We noticed a improvement in their weight but the mortality rate was still rising progressively.

Most of them died at the slightest provocation. To put it mildly, the birds were getting too emotional for my liking. I couldn't even speak to chickens like I usually do for fear that I might make an offensive joke and they will just withdraw somewhere to commit suicide. Notwithstanding, dying was still their principal hobby.
I would go in to top their feed and before I get done, there would be one casualty. Improper man handling of the birds while changing sawdust and another dead bird would surface. You give them water to drink and one will choke on the water and die.
Every morning, we had to check the poultry house with a shovel in hand cos there was always a damned bird to bury.
Meanwhile, the domestic fowls who ate from the contents of our waste bin, suffered kicks from my siblings and slept on trees were thriving better with zero mortality.

The height of it all was the day the large agric broiler which was the alpha cock died.
It took ill four days before and refused to respond to treatment. We were all having a family time at the backyard when my dad told my kid brother to bring it out so he could inspect it. I will never forget that day!
I was sitting by one corner, sipping lucozade boost with crackers.
Suddenly, the alpha cock started vibrating and making weird sounds. "Its dying. Its dying." My dad screamed. "Naijasinglegirl, bring me that your lucozade boost now!"
Gobsmacked, I rushed over to meet him and he snatched the energy drink from my hand, used his hands to forcefully open its beak and emptied it into the chicken's mouth, drenching it in the process.
The chicken died a few minutes after.
Knowing my parents are hypertensive, the look on my mum's face broke my heart.
We were done with the business.
We released all 81 of them so they could roam freely and survive the way local chickens did.
The whole compound became a mess with chicken poop everywhere. *Sigh*

Surprisingly, the death ratio dropped drastically. However, we had a new challenge which was thieves. Our fence is pretty low and we couldn't tell if it were a dog or a human being that took 7 of the chickens in two nights.
The following day, my mum had to go from restaurant to restaurant looking for who to auction the chickens to.
The restaurant that agreed to buy from us insisted we dress the chickens or they were going to patronise their regular supplier.
Suffice to say, that's how I ended up as a chicken butcher.
I was allotted 15 of the chickens to behead. (My siblings took care of the rest.) A chicken genocide took place in my compound that day. I was so disgusted with all that chicken blood. If I had my way, I would have preferred to strangle them for the shit they put us through.
We eventually sold everything at a loss except for 3 which are going to kill tomorrow in honour of the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

http://naijasinglegirl.com/we-ran-a-poultry-farm-first-then-the-poultry-farm-ran-us-mad/

LMAO!!! You just made my day with this post. One, because I went through the same experience, and two, cos u are so damn funny. I need to meet u in person.

My experience was with 45 chickens that almost ran me mad...30 broilers and 15 cockerels. They died in the same fashion u described in your post, till I was left with 14 in December...Thank God I was able to sell 3 during Christmas period.

Men, did those chickens drive me crazy or what. Especially the broilers...There was a particular day I burried 4. I felt like I was the biggest failure in the world. I felt like crying. I ran out of spots for burrying them in our garden. And to make matters worse, one damn cat kept digging them up, so I had to re-burry them, and make subsequent graves deeper.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by upsyLi(m): 9:48pm On Jan 24, 2015
opeboy:

Please educate me. What will it cost me to raise 100 broilers for 8weeks in terms of :
feeds (0- 2, 3-4, 5 -6, 7 - 8 weeks)
vaccination
in terms of cost, it shouldn't cost more than 120,000 (total=feeding+medication+vaccination). Rough estimate!
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by fairprince(m): 4:37pm On Jan 25, 2015
ify84:
Chia....... All start up business can make one go mad, especially with d initial loses..... I doff my hat for all entrepreneurs who started small and still made it at last....

Dix my small computer center I set up, dem don steal my laptop, my monitor, I don repair gen tire....... But,

My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.
. Are u AG?
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ify84(m): 7:19pm On Jan 25, 2015
fairprince:
. Are u AG?

No, Anglican...
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Aipete2(f): 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2015
The cause of their death is because there's no enough heat and maybe you didnt give them their injections on time. Cos when we were doing awa practical 11 out of 50 died n awa lecturer was like i will fail u guys u are nt taking care of them. Bt glory be to God that the remaining chicks live to be distrubuted after sleepless night. Thats what we use to celebrate awa christmas na, but the broilers cn chop oh
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Hafyz23(m): 5:04pm On Mar 26, 2015
I found it very compulsory to write "LOL" and mandatory to follow NSG coz of dis story.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:06pm On May 06, 2015
Plantain business is less risky and can generate cash flow for you in more than 10years if well managed.
Learn more from my plantain thread on the agrixulture secriob
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by stellytwinkle(f): 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
To put it mildly, the birds were getting too emotional for my liking. I couldn't even speak to chickens like I usually do for fear that I might make an offensive joke and they will just withdraw somewhere to commit suicide .
naijasinglegirl, u rock my world. I'll like to have u as my friend, u know, to keep my face smiling always even when life brings it's own wahala. Keep it up. Muah!!!
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 3:39am On Sep 01, 2015
stellytwinkle:

naijasinglegirl, u rock my world. I'll like to have u as my friend, u know, to keep my face smiling always even when life brings it's own wahala. Keep it up. Muah!!!
Thanks love.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ubiquitousade(m): 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2015
stellytwinkle:

emn, emn, sorry, emn but you have a knack for commenting on old threads sad
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by stellytwinkle(f): 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2015
ubiquitousade:

emn, emn, sorry, emn but you have a knack for commenting on old threads sad
that's bcuz i like it.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by chukwumacc(m): 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2016
My dear u caused d deaths.. Saw dust leads 2 respiratory problems leading inturn 2 der deaths.. Use cartons or newspapers as day old n wood shavings after some weeks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Palm Oil Storage Business Investment (buying & Selling) In Nigeria. / Thread For Maize Farmers / How Much Is A Bag Of Cucumber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.