Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,309 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? (24243 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? / Nessa-fel Ofada Rice (100% Natural. Stone And Smell Free Unpolished Local Rice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by sisiafrika(f): 5:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
tchidi:
The ones from Ebonyi state are actually de-stoned!

We use that one.. and I like it.
how about price, availabilty and affordability? Heard its tastier too
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by gatiano(m): 5:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
why should africans eat rice in the first place? well i wouldn't say rice should not be eaten atall, but once a week is enough. African foods is the best in the world if it is nicely prepared light and nicely processed and conserved. it turned out that eating eko(ogi, pap) is far softer on the stomach that eating corn, tuwo (processed rice is better than eating rice directly, and i bet the locally grown rice would be better), our potato grown in the Jos or middle belt area is non-causing trouble for diabetic patients, however it is adviced for diabetic patients to stay off potatoes and rice and more of vegetables are recommended. African food is best for africans living in africa, likewise african food is not too nice for an african staying in siberia.
To answer your question, The nigerian average person like to show how imported he/she can be, it is not just with rice, but with all commodities. if Nigerians should eat well accordingly, light foods, vegetables, fruits, clean water just once a day which is the highest for any normal black person, within two years, a house will be built, poverty will go away many miles away from nigeria. WE (BLACK PEOPLE) EAT TOO MUCH THAT IT TAKES US TO EARLY GRAVE AND IT MAKES US POOR, UGLY AND SICK. when we pray any prayer, always say "i shall not see or touch or smell the pork or swine,

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
menix:
Guy if u done chop local rice u will not ask diz queshion.
Nah inside local rice I know say stone is classified into 4 types.

Jst wait till u chop d Iron stone type.
Standing ovation!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Karleb(m): 5:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
You mean thesame rice that's popularly known as "rice olokuta" i.e rice wey get stone? undecided grin

That rice has been discriminated in the Nigerian market since the time of Awolowo, just package your rice nicely and without stone and maybe some Nigerians go look your side.

Where I stay over here people believe only poor people patronizes the local rice although it's has been proven time and again that the local rice has more nutritional value the foreign one but who go buy discriminated stone coated rice? undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by hijodedios: 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
you lie,there are imported foods in every nooks and cranies of france and am sure you eat at least one imported food everyday in france and that is if at all you live in france as you want some people to believe.
Feranmicharles:
Well... I never ate foreign food cos our economy is standard here in france cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by kccarew(f): 5:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
Simply becaUse of stones, and that is because we don't have the right equipment to process Them...but its is loved by so many, e.g my aunt cos it has less starch
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by AreaFada2: 5:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
Stones the size of Zuma n Olumo rock. Otherwise very tasty.

If rice millers can do better, no contest, local rice anytime.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by condralbede(m): 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
tchidi:
The ojustnes from Ebonyi state are actually de-stoned!

#Fact....That's what we cook in my house, and d taste is just too good,I prefer local rice to foreign rice.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by TrishaP(f): 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
menix:
Guy if u done chop local rice u will not ask diz queshion.
Nah inside local rice I know say stone is classified into 4 types.

Jst wait till u chop d Iron stone type.
Lmao... cheesy cheesy The stones can disorganize ones dentition.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Daniel058(m): 5:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
Ilovenigeria:
Becos of choping stone.
we no get destoning machine again?? Come to Abakaliki here nah

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by koolg: 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
its ignorance or sheer stupidity that will make someone know that local rice contains more nutritional value than foreign one and still continue eating the foreign one.
That local one is more expensive should make a clear point

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Iyowuski: 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
Feranmicharles:
Well... I never ate foreign food cos our economy is standard here in france cheesy

same thing here in bukina faso
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by PAnaceA7(m): 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
Na only stone... The smell alone na die... Am patriotic but if it has to do with what goes into my stomach. Abeg leave patriotism for Oga Jona oo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
princeokpara:
[sub][/sub]Is becos of d to much sand dat makes nigerian to dislike local riceIs becos of d to much sand dat makes nigerian to dislike local riceIs becos of d to much sand dat makes nigerian to dislike local rice
haba! See English
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Kingzy4pep(m): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
Because we've already had a taste of foreign rice.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by fabulousmann(f): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
Yes local rice has stones but there's a way to wash it to remove d stones its taste better than foreign rice
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2015
I prefer local rice op!

Especially when its jollof. Red oil and locust bean combination (dadawa, iru)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by NwaJesusteete(m): 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
I think it should be, y do some nigerians ? Instead of y nigerians? Anyway is my best when stone freed thou on special order.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
freecocoa:
My Dad loves Ofada rice but it gets soggy easily and I love my rice not glued to each other so I prefer the other type, Ofada is sweeter though.
Maybe you should try cook it with low heat.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by seangy4konji: 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
Just as we don chop Jonathan tire give us constipation,dysentery and plenty Yama Yama

We want Buhari now make we deh chop am like uncle bens rice.

U feel me
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by globalwaly(m): 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
mekaboy:
We are not creative in this country and eager to import. Just because of stone we abandon our rice for another.

bro will you abandon it only when you lose one of your Teeth?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 03, 2015
osile2012:
[size=15pt]I have noticed most of my friends and people i talk to prefer foreign rice to our local rice. I try to let them know it is not good for our economy, and a friend asked me if he should eat what he does not like because of the economy.

Do you also prefer foreign rice to ours?
[/size]

Poor Quality, Poor Processing. not good for export.. too costly (should be free) stones break your teeth and give our kids appendicitis
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Adesiji77: 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2015
I prefer the local rice (ofada) any day!

Besides, it is more nutritious cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
Imo, that rice called ofada is the best rice in the world. It taste better than long grain, brown rice, jazmine rice, basmati rice e.t.c but the stones eehnn. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by ohzee(f): 5:57pm On Jan 03, 2015
I live in Enugu and can categorically and proudly state here that for over 6 months my family and I have been eating completely destoned local Abakaliki rice. It is nutritious and tasty. It cooks fast too. In fact though there is Ebony gold the locally made polished rice, but I still prefer the unpolished variety. The first time I cooked it nobody even noticed the difference.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by mourinho18: 5:58pm On Jan 03, 2015
osile2012:
[size=15pt]I have noticed most of my friends and people i talk to prefer foreign rice to our local rice. I try to let them know it is not good for our economy, and a friend asked me if he should eat what he does not like because of the economy.

Do you also prefer foreign rice to ours?
[/size]
who wnt chop stone.......na only u waka come?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
The stones no be here o. No matter as u settle down pick am, u go still de chew stone for every spoon.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by soonest(f): 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
tchidi:
The ones from Ebonyi state are actually de-stoned!

Same with me. I prefer local rice for white rice and stew, then foreign for fried rice
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by html14java(f): 6:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
we r used to local rice. We wanna explore cos variety is the spice of life
MүСС

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1988873_happynewyear2015balloons60101_jpegd309989d2259c1c1f42866410d06fece

THIS SPACE

IN ASO ROCK

IS NOT FOR SALE

Beware of my son, Mohammadu gringringrin cool

[size=18pt]GEJ, 2009-2019[/size]

#BackFromBan
мémьея, SвAи
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Cheeun(f): 6:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
I can only speak for myself o! I like it, the stones/shaft tho'. Dem badt die grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by 12ema: 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
mcmukoko12:
[size=18pt]NO wonder the white are always sick of cancer of the head, waist, eyes, nose and bumbum. If they continue eating their rice. NAIJA LOCAL RICE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD. IT HAS IMPORTANT NUTRIENTS.[/size]

And more stones. . . . cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
saxywale:

Maybe you should try cook it with low heat.

The trick is to add a teaspoon full of vegetable oil and cut some onions (a qtr of a big one) until it cooks, viola!! no sticking rice.. grin grin thank me later

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Ever Got A Bone Stuck In Your Throat? How Did You Remove It? / What Is The Difference Between Soup, Stew And Sauce? / Roasted Corn VS Boiled Corn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.