Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,749 members, 7,813,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' (1527 Views)

Which Bornagain Christian Can Do This? / Pls I Need A True Bornagain Christian To Tell Me What Lev:19:19b Means / Can A (bornagain) Christain Hold A Chieftaincy Title ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by folaked(f): 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2014
we all know that before we name our child, we are supose to know the meaning of the name.. My question is that as a born again christian,is it proper to name ones child local 'oriki's such as 'Ashabi, Ajani, Anike,Abebi, Adunni ?

I have noticed the names we sometimes bear, humans dosnt want to be cursed but they bear names that cursed them, how can some one bear 'Ikujeniya (death torment someone)..Ikudoro (death afflict), Linda (beautiful serpentl, Ogunsoro (god of Iron afflict).. ogunbiyi (god of Iron gave birth to this one)...yet you will want to progress in life, buth their names are cursing them. Nlders pls check the meaning of your names..
Re: Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by aadetoyin(f): 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2014
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having an oriki, don't turn Christianity to another thing. As for the names listed in ur second paragraph, how many people have you met with this names. People don't beat such names again.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by BabaGnoni: 10:03pm On Dec 28, 2014
folaked:
we all know that before we name our child, we are supose to know the meaning of the name..
My question is that as a born again christian, is it proper to name ones child local 'oriki's such as 'Ashabi, Ajani, Anike,Abebi, Adunni ?

I have noticed the names we sometimes bear, humans dosnt want to be cursed but they bear names that cursed them,
how can some one bear 'Ikujeniya (death torment someone)..Ikudoro (death afflict), Linda (beautiful serpentl, Ogunsoro (god of Iron afflict).. ogunbiyi (god of Iron gave birth to this one)...yet you will want to progress in life, buth their names are cursing them.
Nlders pls check the meaning of your names..

sister, why are you tying up heavy burdens and trying to lay them on men's shoulders. Hmm?

Apollos is mentioned several times in the New Testament. He was a contemporary of Paul, the Apostle
Remember Paul's famous words about Apollos
: "I planted, Apollos watered"

The name Apollos is synonymous with the Greek and Roman god of prophecy, medicine, music, poetry, art, law, beauty, and wisdom. It later also became the god of the sun and light.

Paul has no problem or complaint over Apollos' name, neither did Apollos

Another thing are the names of
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, which we all famously know and have in our worship songs are Chaldean names, and actually are related to pagan Babylonian gods

Daniel and the three friends as with others were given foreign names after captivity by the Chaldeans

- Shadrach means "command of Aku" in Akkadian, Aku being the name of the Babylonian god of the moon
- Meshach means "Who is what Aku is?", and may have been an alteration of his original Hebrew name which is Mishael
- Abednego though a corrupted or deliberate use of Abednebo, means "servant of Nebo/Nabu," or Abednergo, a variation of Abednergal, meaning "servant of the god Nergal"

Their original and theophoric Hebrew names with the meaning are:

- Hananiah means "Jah who is gracious"
- Misha'el means "Who is like God?"
- Azariah means "Jah has helped"

Daniel's given Chaldean name was Belteshazzar. It means "prince of Bel or Bel protect the king"

Then Daniel (also called Belteshazzar) was greatly perplexed for a time, and his thoughts terrified him.
So the king said, "Belteshazzar, do not let the dream or its meaning alarm you."
Belteshazzar answered,
"My lord, if only the dream applied to your enemies and its meaning to your adversaries!

- Daniel 4:19 NIV

Lastly the below snip is an excerpt of a post of a good friend's called vooks

It briefly and clearly deals with the "names/namimg" subject matter you've raised this thread for

- EXCERPT -

There is a good reason I don't buy this Cabbalistic/names mysticism; names mattered nothing in the Primitive/Early church.
Romans perhaps contains the most number of First Century believers by name.

Observe Paul sending some shout-outs.
The name Hermes sticks out because that is a believer right there with the name of a Greek god, son of Zeus
!

Romans 16:3-14
King James Version (KJV)

3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
4 Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.
5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.
6 Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.
7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
8 Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord.
9 Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
10 Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.
11 Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.
12 Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.
13 Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.
14 Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them.

Do we have a history of Gentile/Pagan-Christian converts changing their names?
I mean outside the scriptures. None.
Or was paganism and idolatry back then much less potent than Africa's?

https://www.nairaland.com/1790500/word-faith-movements-doctrine-proponents/24#26724204

- /EXCERPT -

sister you're going on an errand not sent, there is no cause for alarm.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by macIB(m): 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2014
SMH.....@op- slave mentality. May God help your soul
Re: Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by BabaGnoni: 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2014
macIB:
^^^
Obviously OP probably didnt realise that Christians dont deliberately pick or wilfully choose pagan names to start with, they get stuck with it.
The good news is that, there is no harm done, as greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the system world
We are safe, we good to go, no one has got anything on us

1 Like

Re: Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by folaked(f): 2:42am On Dec 29, 2014
BabaGnoni:

^^^
Obviously OP probably didnt realise that Christians dont deliberately pick or wilfully choose pagan names to start with, they get stuck with it.
The good news is that, there is no harm done, as greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the system world
We are safe, we good to go, no one has got anything on us

hello, I know dat we dont deliberatly bear the names, and the good news is dat no harm done, but sir/ma, we have to pray hard and break that evil convenant binding the names with us,or else we will notice a backward movement or stagnances spiritually...everything needs prayer.. Thank you.
Re: Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani' by folaked(f): 2:46am On Dec 29, 2014
macIB:

amen, may God help your soul too..you are the one with slave mentality, you need God to open your eyes to know the mysteries behind names, you will knw that everything in life needs prayer most espcially d names we bear..pls check yourself sir... Thanks

(1) (Reply)

OUTRAGE IN ITALY: Muslims Destroy And Urinate On Virgin Mary Statue / For My Muslim Brothers! Please I Really Need Answers To This Direly... / Some Examples Of How The Qur’an Corrects The Bible - Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.