Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,693 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Nigerian Social Calls - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Social Calls (1624 Views)

Tiwa Savage & TJ Deserve The Unmitigated Apology Of Nigerian Social Media Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 01, 2015
Ok. Let me give the disclaimer that I am a diasporan, and I had to consciously learn a lot of things that native Nigerians take for granted. One of those things is phone call etiquette.

How do you keep your relatives from getting upset if you forget to call them? You know we tend to have very very large families, and all most some of them are important and genuinely care about you, and you care about them too. But I'm not really an idle chatter kind of person, and small talk is so awkward for me...

I actually made a list of relatives to call on New Year's and I've gone through 75% of it, and I'm already tired lol. And this is the shortlist (aka the people I will feel guilty if I don't call). Sorry cousins, y'all are getting SMS and Whatsapp messages, unless I really owe you a call (which I do for about half of them embarassed )

Is this a typical scenario for you? Am I doing this right? undecided

I just want to be a good niece. They give me a lot of leeway, but I'm getting old enough to do it properly now. undecided

Help...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
Seeing the title, I though u were about to give some info relating to Nigeria Custom Service. . . . . . . . .

@Topic: I still dey expect my christmas and new year call, sms, whatsapp, email, and ALERT from u o. . .lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 01, 2015
Martins301:
Seeing the title, I though u were about to give some info relating to Nigeria Custom Service. . . . . . . . .

@Topic: I still dey expect my christmas and new year call, sms, whatsapp, email, and ALERT from u o. . .lol

LOL ok I'll change my title

I'm sending you a message right now
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by slimyem: 5:18am On Jan 02, 2015
MissMeiya:
But I'm not really an idle chatter kind of person, and small talk is so awkward for me...

Me too so I don't call or text any extended person. I give my wishes if when I see them.cool
I stopped all the sending wishes to my whole contact list years ago and I am nice enough to reply only the ones who send me personal messages not BCs . cheesy

How do I keep any of these people from getting upset?
I don't. "E ma binu" will be the end of it if it comes up.

Are you doing right? If it feels right to you then it's right.
No point guilt-tripping yourself over it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 02, 2015
Why bother yourself at all? Why go through the stress? I wouldn't, if I were you.
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 02, 2015
slimyem:
Me too so I don't call or text any extended person. I give my wishes if when I see them.cool
I stopped all the sending wishes to my whole contact list years ago and I am nice enough to reply only the ones who send me personal messages not BCs . cheesy

How do I keep any of these people from getting upset?
I don't. "E ma binu" will be the end of it if it comes up.

Are you doing right? If it feels right to you then it's right.
No point guilt-tripping yourself over it.

It feels right to me. I love hearing how happy they sound when I call them.

I feel like this might be a daughter expectation, because my brother doesn't bother.
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 02, 2015
goofyone:
Why bother yourself at all? Why go through the stress? I wouldn't, if I were you.

Lol because I love them.
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 02, 2015
Put up ur pishure on ur profile
MissMeiya:

Lol because I love them.
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 03, 2015
MissMeiya:
Ok. Let me give the disclaimer that I am a diasporan, and I had to consciously learn a lot of things that native Nigerians take for granted. One of those things is phone call etiquette.

How do you keep your relatives from getting upset if you forget to call them? You know we tend to have very very large families, and all most some of them are important and genuinely care about you, and you care about them too. But I'm not really an idle chatter kind of person, and small talk is so awkward for me...

I actually made a list of relatives to call on New Year's and I've gone through 75% of it, and I'm already tired lol. And this is the shortlist (aka the people I will feel guilty if I don't call). Sorry cousins, y'all are getting SMS and Whatsapp messages, unless I really owe you a call (which I do for about half of them embarassed )

Is this a typical scenario for you? Am I doing this right? undecided

I just want to be a good niece. They give me a lot of leeway, but I'm getting old enough to do it properly now. undecided

Help...
Girl, you crazy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by shinaboy: 5:59am On Jan 18, 2015
Tbh, I only call the or text my closest cousins and aunts. I definitely can't call everybody. But I will encourage you to do as much as you can. and try not to make some people feel jelous

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by SAMBARRY: 7:06am On Jan 18, 2015
Hmnnnn

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 18, 2015
shinaboy:
Tbh, I only call the or text my closest cousins and aunts. I definitely can't call everybody. But I will encourage you to do as much as you can. and try not to make some people feel jelous

Ok thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by laplace12(m): 8:47am On Jan 18, 2015
If you don't call too often, just don't expect calls and the equation will balance cheesy

I myself don't even call. Then my cousin came back from UK, spent some good time with younger bro without putting a minute call across to me sad
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 18, 2015
laplace12:
If you don't call too often, just don't expect calls and the equation will balance cheesy

I myself don't even call. Then my cousin came back from UK, spent some good time with younger bro without putting a minute call across to me sad

I don't even like to answer calls because I know how expensive it is to call from Nigeria, even though my parents tell me it means something when a person decides to spend their credit to talk to you, I'm supposed to accept the sentiment, but it makes me so uncomfortable! And besides it's not that I like getting calls in the first place, I just don't want to make them unhappy.

Also, on a more selfish note, when I come around, I need somewhere to stay and people to help me get around grin
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 18, 2015
MissMeiya:

I don't even like to answer calls because I know how expensive it is to call from Nigeria, even though my parents tell me it means something when a person decides to spend their credit to talk to you, I'm supposed to accept the sentiment, but it makes me so uncomfortable! And besides it's not that I like getting calls in the first place, I just don't want to make them unhappy.

Also, on a more selfish note, when I come around, I need somewhere to stay and people to help me get around grin
MissMeiya, you can't have both, you know. It's a give and take.
Did you finally make all those calls on the New Year?
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 18, 2015
goofyone:

MissMeiya, you can't have both, you know. It's a give and take.
Did you finally make all those calls on the New Year?

Yep. It felt really good. smiley I love my family. Time flies...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 18, 2015
MissMeiya:

Oh that's good. I never did, except to only a very few. I'll gladly take whatever comes. smiley
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 18, 2015
MissMeiya:

Though you didn't call me shaa undecided
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
Whatever you do to me pleases me. Calls, whatsapp, fb, twitter et al, ayam okay wirrit lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Social Calls by mumumugu(m): 2:35am On Jan 21, 2015
Call only those that call you
Re: Nigerian Social Calls by KanwuliaJara: 5:17am On Jan 21, 2015
I don't have such family members.
I have way too many cousins, aunts and uncles that I only know by name.
Even the ones that live in the same city and state as I do. . . I DO NOT CALL!
I can't be bothered! kiss

I love my space. . . besides, we gat nothing to offer each other!
Amen! kiss

(1) (Reply)

She Is Too Secretive / A Friend Is In Need Of A Girl That Can Cary The Pregnancy, / When Your Children Eat From Your Neighbour's House...Your Experience!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.