Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,620 members, 7,820,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? (28490 Views)

Lady Mocks Women Who Think Attachment Is A Sin But Use Wool To Make Their Hair / Catholic Archbishop Of Kampala Warns Women To Stop Beating Their Husbands / It Is Mandatory For As A Christian To Love Your Enemies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by JesusisLord85: 11:08pm On Jan 09, 2015
ireneony:
but the kind of church i attend, we dont that,.....does that make unholy....cause i know am a christiab

You are not a follower of Christ if you keep not the commandments. You have simply formed an 'ideal' god in your mind who accepts everything about you.
Remove the scaled. Read the law and the prophets. You will know the personality of our God from there. And you will see no need to ask such questions. In fact, you will repent and circumcise your heart.

Shalom
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:12pm On Jan 09, 2015
efficiencie:

We sing we want the old time religion and that it's good for us but here we are upsetting and removing the ancient landmarks set by our ancient fathers and mothers...

Rather more interested in the message from God than the ancient landmarks (200 year old customs) set by MAN in a society that a changed so much as to render them irrelevant. Don't really think God worries very much about a woman's hairstyle etc.

Anyway if this triviality is all Christians today have to worry about I would be a happy man! I suspect there are more serious issues to concern us and indeed God.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by JesusisLord85: 12:05am On Jan 10, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Rather more interested in the message from God than the ancient landmarks (200 year old customs) set by MAN in a society that a changed so much as to render them irrelevant. Don't really think God worries very much about a woman's hairstyle etc.

Anyway if this triviality is all Christians today have to worry about I would be a happy man! I suspect there are more serious issues to concern us and indeed God.

You promote rebellion. Is it up to you what god "lets slide" and what he abhors?
Did the Most High give laws to prevent mere men being offended, or to stop you offending Him?
That is why I say you modern day christians are kidding yourselves. Each has his own doctrine, and forms his own god inside his head.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Hethatlovesyou: 3:03am On Jan 10, 2015
I think we need to be careful of how we respond to things on this media, is better not to than to start misleading or twisting the word of GOD to suit our selfish interest.. At thewordxray..... pls can you read further on what Bro paul said in 1corithian 11:13 downward and explain if to you GOD does not deserved to be respected by women covering their head when they are in HIS presence.Thank you. When we all read then interpret it in your heart and act. GOD bless.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by davidedmorn: 3:36am On Jan 10, 2015
God does not command a specific style, color, or size of head covering, it is important that the church does not add to God’s Word and require a specific style, color, or size. Some churches have specified a style, color, and size thinking that it would prevent the people of the church from discarding the head covering. It was in continuous progress and it is followed by everyone.

bible scriptures message
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by efficiencie(m): 2:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Please see the excellent explanation of 'Hiswordxray' which should make matters clear. I rather suspect that it by 'FAITH ALONE' we are saved - not whether or not a womans hair is covered.

Do you read scriptures at all!? Or do you just want to argue? Or you want to join the bandwagon of those bending a direct statute of God?

Covering your head does not save you but it is the result of obedience unto the commandments of God that have spiritual implications Now because we want to justify popular culture, justify seduction, justify changing lifestyles and yet hold on to salvation we decide to twist the glaring words of God.

Matthew 15:3
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

There's the tradition of God and the tradition of men, choose, this day, which you seek to follow...

Faith is made alive by the works that ensued...Works that are not in accordance with the faith once delivered to the saints are dead works and kill faith!

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Covering your head for women is for the honoring of the head and for power because of the angels...Women who violate this deny themselves power to minister and honor

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
*[[1Co 11:6]] ISV* So if a woman does not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. If it is a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her own head.

I wonders what's so difficult to understand here, it cost nothing when women cover their head and cost something when they don't. The Bible says they dishonors there Head..
What the woman head here, let's see
*[[1Co 11:3]] ISV* Now I want you to realize that the Messiah is the head of every man, and man is the head of the woman, and God is the head of the Messiah.
So the head here is the man.
The head of the wife is the husband and the head of unmarried lady is her Father.
So why will a lady consciously dishonors her father or husband when the Bible said..
*[[Eph 6:2]] KJV* Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink
Cover ur head my sister.... God bless u

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by efficiencie(m): 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2015
saintlawr:
*[[1Co 11:6]] ISV* So if a woman does not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. If it is a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her own head.

I wonders what's so difficult to understand here, it cost nothing when women cover their head and cost something when they don't. The Bible says they dishonors there Head..
What the woman head here, let's see
*[[1Co 11:3]] ISV* Now I want you to realize that the Messiah is the head of every man, and man is the head of the woman, and God is the head of the Messiah.
So the head here is the man.
The head of the wife is the husband and the head of unmarried lady is her Father.
So why will a lady consciously dishonors her father or husband when the Bible said..
*[[Eph 6:2]] KJV* Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink
Cover ur head my sister.... God bless u

Chai see Rhema ...God bless you bro!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:36pm On Jan 12, 2015
JesusisLord85:

You promote rebellion. Is it up to you what god "lets slide" and what he abhors?
Did the Most High give laws to prevent mere men being offended, or to stop you offending Him?
That is why I say you modern day christians are kidding yourselves. Each has his own doctrine, and forms his own god inside his head.

This 'advice' was from Paul and he did not claim it from God.

I think modern Christianity is much better than the primitive superstitious approach promoted before peoples were better educated. The Creator of the Universe concerned about the womanly fashion of ancient times. I think not. Both the Creator an indeed any Christian of today have better things to do than worry about stupid primitive taboos.

Perhaps we could actually discuss something of moral/ethical/theological importance?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:42pm On Jan 12, 2015
efficiencie:

Do you read scriptures at all!? Or do you just want to argue? Or you want to join the bandwagon of those bending a direct statute of God?

Covering your head does not save you but it is the result of obedience unto the commandments of God that have spiritual implications Now because we want to justify popular culture, justify seduction, justify changing lifestyles and yet hold on to salvation we decide to twist the glaring words of God.

Matthew 15:3
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

There's the tradition of God and the tradition of men, choose, this day, which you seek to follow...

Faith is made alive by the works that ensued...Works that are not in accordance with the faith once delivered to the saints are dead works and kill faith!

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Covering your head for women is for the honoring of the head and for power because of the angels...Women who violate this deny themselves power to minister and honor

An interesting theological argument that had it the power of a directive from God rather than advice relayed by man (Paul), clearly intended for certain people at a certain time and certain place for a specific purpose would carry more weight.

It really has little place in the Christian world except where the more, hmmmm, fundamentalist(?), basic forms of Christianity are practiced. The argument does tend to remind one of the Pharisees reading the Torah looking for silly rules to enforce in a vain attempt to convince others that they are better Jews than the rest. The theological debate may continue unabated but, honestly, the more mature Christians will merely smile at their less enlightened brothers. God Bless.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Redlyn: 12:28am On Jan 13, 2015
RedBenson:

Ok. It's biblically and religiously wrong for women to keep their head open when in the presence of God. I and my family dont do that.

So where is God not present. That's where I'm going.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by JesusisLord85: 1:12am On Jan 14, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

This 'advice' was from Paul and he did not claim it from God.

I think modern Christianity is much better than the primitive superstitious approach promoted before peoples were better educated. The Creator of the Universe concerned about the womanly fashion of ancient times. I think not. Both the Creator an indeed any Christian of today have better things to do than worry about stupid primitive taboos.

Perhaps we could actually discuss something of moral/ethical/theological importance?

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

Oh shut up!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:00pm On Jan 15, 2015
JesusisLord85:

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

Oh shut up!

Well not too sure what this has to do with hairstyles from culture to culture and over the centuries? smiley

As for the rather unchristian comment at the end (almost as unchristian as is it unenforceable) I shall have little problem here in 'turning the other cheek and in fact ignoring it. God Bless!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Dannidom(m): 12:00am On Jan 17, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Please see the excellent explanation of 'Hiswordxray' which should make matters clear. I rather suspect that it by 'FAITH ALONE' we are saved - not whether or not a womans hair is covered.
faith without work is death

if u have faith but hey u have to put that faith to the test by being holy, spotles, blameles

u do them and not jst sit back and only keep faith

take Abraham for example the father of faith. God instructd him to kil his only begoten son he didnt sit bak and wait for God to provide a ram, no, he went up to the mount of sacrifice on the verge of sacrificing his son God saw his unabated luv for him and countd it for righteousnes

faith is an action word
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 8:32am On Jan 17, 2015
Dannidom:

if u have faith but hey u have to put that faith to the test by being holy, spotles, blameles

take Abraham for example the father of faith. God instructd him to kil his only begoten son he didnt sit bak and wait for God to provide a ram, no, he went up to the mount of sacrifice on the verge of sacrificing his son God saw his unabated luv for him and countd it for righteousnes

faith is an action word
Did God instruct women to cover there hair?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:40am On Jan 17, 2015
Dannidom:

faith is an action word

Hmmmm I don't recall that as the translation! It is quite clear - Faith Alone!

And once again the (as Paul clearly points out) advice on local customs etc has little impact on FAITH.

I think what is in our hearts (respect, humility, faith etc) is more important than any covering that may or may not be on our heads!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 17, 2015
If u r a girl if u knew the reason,you would never forget to cover your hair if you don't want trouble.it has somethn to do with angels
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:51pm On Jan 17, 2015
Dux01:
If u r a girl if u knew the reason,you would never forget to cover your hair if you don't want trouble.it has somethn to do with angels

Possibly something to do with angels (jealous of their hairstyles obviously), possibly primitive taboo's and customs no longer relevant (to culture or even Christianity) but certainly nothing to do with how God views us or our immortal soul!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 17, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Possibly something to do with angels (jealous of their hairstyles obviously), possibly primitive taboo's and customs no longer relevant (to culture or even Christianity) but certainly nothing to do with how God views us or our immortal soul!

apostle paul said it.pls advise the girls to obey.too much knowledge before obedience is not good.oh, if u only knew the reason....
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:33pm On Jan 17, 2015
Dux01:
apostle paul said it.pls advise the girls to obey.too much knowledge before obedience is not good.oh, if u only knew the reason....

Apostle Paul referred to this particular piece of information as ADVICE and certainly not divinely inspired from God!

Come on now, how could it be from God. Are our ideas about God and our relationship with him so immature as to possibly believe that such a trivial matter which varies from each country/culture and across the centuries has ANY bearing on our religion or theological views. This was a matter for the organisation of the Church in that PLACE and at that TIME. Clearly of no relevance today.

I advise the girls to think of GOD and their own relationship with him. Don't just look at your own religion as practiced in one part of the world. Christianity is practiced in different ways across the globe. I have seen it. From many enlightened aspects to more primitive and dogmatic beliefs. Don't be told what to do by a tiny minority of ill educated men in one particular culture.

Next they will be telling us that God cares what we have for breakfast etc.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Spamola1: 7:34am On Jan 18, 2015
[url=https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z125ylgokligvloqr04cifvquleqjb45a2o?cbp=1xmurg9nlhllz&sview=32&cid=5&soc-app=115&soc-platform=1&spath=/app/basic/stream&sparm=cbp%3D1vsk8xa2iz2i%26sview%3D11%26cid%3D5%26soc-app%3D115%26soc-platform%3D1]CCTV Camera Exposes Mercy Johnson F.u.cking Another Man In A Motel - [VIDEO][/url]
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Slimmos(m): 7:38am On Jan 18, 2015
cuz it is biblical...shikena
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by baybeeboi: 7:38am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
but the kind of church i attend, we dont that,.....does that make unholy....cause i know am a christiab
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by luckman20(m): 7:40am On Jan 18, 2015
chibwike:
1 corinthinas 11 vs 6
For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by searay(m): 7:41am On Jan 18, 2015
chibwike:
1 corinthinas 11 vs 6
How about vs 13
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by sophtaf(f): 7:44am On Jan 18, 2015
Hiswordxray:
In the book of first Corinthians Paul gave certain instructions and he gave a reason for each of these instructions. Some he said it is directly from the Lord, another he said it's from the wisdom that God gave him, yet another he said it's just an advice. But when it came to the issue of women covering their hair he said "Now if anyone is disposed to be argumentative and contentious about this, we hold to and recognize no other custom [in worship] than this, nor do the churches of God generally." (1Cor 11:16).
Paul didn't say didn't say this is directly from the Lord and he didn't say if women didn't cover their hair they will go to Hell.

But Paul said this is a custom. Custom tells you what you need to do to be a part of a group or a society. And to be a part of the Church as at that time you must cover your hair as a woman.
But the gospel tells you what you need to do to make heaven and have a foretaste of heaven on earth.

Women covering hair is nothing but a custom for believer as at the time that verse was written. But if you choose to follow it fine and if you don't want to follow it there is nothing wrong with that.
nw that's an answer wit detailed explanation.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:46am On Jan 18, 2015
I dont even understand maybe yu are a child of God or child of god.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by baybeeboi: 7:50am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
but read 1 Corinthians 11:6 and 1 Corinthians 11:15 and see the confusion for ursef..
Am sure even the MOGs does not understand the two passages
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Equado(m): 7:51am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
in the bible,ue have to understand that all not statements are directly 4rm God,we have the word of man,angels,the devil and God...the issue of covering of hair is a jewish custom,paul gave his opinion on the issue,God said nothing about that...if we're to go by every jewish custom,we should keep the sabbath(saturday) holy,and we should also be celebrating the pentecost!hope you're clear now?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Equado(m): 7:51am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
in the bible,ue have to understand that all not statements are directly 4rm God,we have the word of man,angels,the devil and God...the issue of covering of hair is a jewish custom,paul gave his opinion on the issue,God said nothing about that...if we're to go by every jewish custom,we should keep the sabbath(saturday) holy,and we should also be celebrating the pentecost!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by dubbiskelly(m): 7:52am On Jan 18, 2015
Cos the Bible says so.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Toks2008(m): 7:54am On Jan 18, 2015
Its pure ignorance.

Only a lady with a low cut or no hair should cover her head but ladies with long hair needs no covering because the long hair of a woman is a natural covering for her head.

1 Corinthians 11 vs 13-15

"13Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Have You Noticed All The Women Accusing Suleiman Are Into Acting/showbiz? / Bishop Mike Okonkwo's Daughter's White Wedding Today (Photos) / Supreme Court Upholds Rev King's Death Sentence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.