Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,491 members, 7,826,846 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? (28532 Views)

Lady Mocks Women Who Think Attachment Is A Sin But Use Wool To Make Their Hair / Catholic Archbishop Of Kampala Warns Women To Stop Beating Their Husbands / It Is Mandatory For As A Christian To Love Your Enemies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2015
chrisja:
Paul never asked that women cover their hair during a church worship, he said that they should cover their head( because the head of the woman is the man 1Cor 11:3, basically referring to married women here. Due to their practise then, single ladies don't have say in public issues). It wasn't a spirit led stuff nor God directed practise, it was mainly a traditional practice like in every society where women don't have a say because she came from the man. You really can't find a clear line where Jehovah supported or didn't support the practise. The issue with church and people is that they don't study therefore they accept all sort of nonsense.
my broda everytin written in the bible s inspiration from God, paul said wat God wans, why re u differentiatin the woman dere to married and single? Did God knew dt d re single lady den b4 he spoke tru paul? The bible said in 1 cor 11:5 and dt s final.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:39am On Jan 18, 2015
hotgunz:
my broda everytin written in the bible s inspiration from God, paul said wat God wans, why re u differentiatin the woman dere to married and single? Did God knew dt d re single lady den b4 he spoke tru paul? The bible said in 1 cor 11:5 and dt s final.

Then what happens to 1 Cor 11 : 15 - 16
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Obascoetubi: 8:39am On Jan 18, 2015
samflexxy:
Because 'mary' mother of JESUS our lord and savior, never exposed her hair she was always in vail she never expose her body

Are you clear now.
we dont biliv in mary like u bow down to her statue in ur church
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by owochepo: 8:40am On Jan 18, 2015
We women should learn from d christian women of old, itz sign of humility and obedience to the word of God. We should also condemn men dat go to church with jelly curls. All those practices re d problem of modern church. May d holy spirit opens our hearts to know d truth!!!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:41am On Jan 18, 2015
ollah1:

Dont dilute the content of the bible. By right it should a norm for ladies to always cover their hair.
nutin diluting here, 1 cor 11:5, says But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:43am On Jan 18, 2015
chrisviral:

Then what happens to 1 Cor 11 : 15 - 16
why ignore verse 5, and jump to 15, tot in sch we were told it was, 12345...............10,11,12,14,15. S in order let take it 1 by1.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by todayguest(m): 8:46am On Jan 18, 2015
Hiswordxray:
In the book of first Corinthians Paul gave certain instructions and he gave a reason for each of these instructions. Some he said it is directly from the Lord, another he said it's from the wisdom that God gave him, yet another he said it's just an advice. But when it came to the issue of women covering their hair he said "Now if anyone is disposed to be argumentative and contentious about this, we hold to and recognize no other custom [in worship] than this, nor do the churches of God generally." (1Cor 11:16).
Paul didn't say didn't say this is directly from the Lord and he didn't say if women didn't cover their hair they will go to Hell.

But Paul said this is a custom. Custom tells you what you need to do to be a part of a group or a society. And to be a part of the Church as at that time you must cover your hair as a woman.
But the gospel tells you what you need to do to make heaven and have a foretaste of heaven on earth.

Women covering hair is nothing but a custom for believer as at the time that verse was written. But if you choose to follow it fine and if you don't want to follow it there is nothing wrong with that.
fine contribution. However, if you love an uncovered hair, pls go and worship where it's allowed. Otherwise, you will be asked to cover your hair or provided with a cover.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Princecalm(m): 8:47am On Jan 18, 2015
MsNas:

Sorry, are you a muslim?
no, y did u ask?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:50am On Jan 18, 2015
I cor 11: 5

But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as having her head shaved.

Note: Head and not Hair!

I cor 11 :15

but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. NIV

And isn't long hair a woman's pride and joy? For it has been given to her as a covering. NlT

nor that hair is a woman's glory, since hair is given as a substitute for coverings. IST

Vs 16
But if anyone wants to argue about this, we do not have any custom like this, nor do any of God's churches IST

I know English can be hard for some of us, so I have made it easier okay!
Your welcome grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:52am On Jan 18, 2015
hotgunz:
why ignore verse 5, and jump to 15, tot in sch we were told it was, 12345...............10,11,12,14,15. S in order let take it 1 by1.

And I was taught to read till the end, don't stop at 5 grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Youceemeri: 8:52am On Jan 18, 2015
Hello great nairalanders pls i need your financial help to solve to problem which is been affecting me since d turn of the year...I need this cash to paid for a room for me and my son(Shelter). They have served us quit notice.. There's no business i could venture in that would yield maximum return at this moment, beside am on street now running up and down to make our end for food, am not lazy i can do any work but not into robbery pls i just want to be a good daddy for my son since his mum is late, i believe downfall of a man not the end, all i need is a roof over our head so i could be able to cool down and find job to make him proud.. The money i need is #20,000 to get a room..Any financial help would be greatly appreciated...I know there is good people out there who can help me .......May God bless and reward u all.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:55am On Jan 18, 2015
chrisviral:

And I was taught to read till the end, don't stop at 5 grin cheesy
sure....
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Caracta(f): 8:57am On Jan 18, 2015
Well...my church doesn't condemn it. But I won't leave my hair uncovered inside a church. It's all about your personal faith. I don't care if I'm the only person with a covered hair. I always cover my hair even when my folks don't.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by baba4ke007: 9:01am On Jan 18, 2015
Here in Europe that is no longer an issue Africans thinking they understand xtainity more than those that brought is to them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by joeyekembele: 9:05am On Jan 18, 2015
The ways of God are awesome that no one can explain it. He focuses his interest on our inner mind. Certain issues are better left for God to judge instead of judging for God. Interestingly, it is written that, whatever the people agree here on earth is established in heaven. Bible was written in three perspectives. 1. Some injunctions are holy ghost directed. 2. Some are based on the culture and tradition of the Israelis. 3. Some are based on the understanding of the writers at the point in time. But all these work together for our good. Any Christian body that compels her members to have hair covered in church is on the right path as well well as a church that sees it as unnecessarily compulsory to do so. It all depends on the church doctrine. The book of corinthians emphasises the need to have head covered from cultural perspective of the Israelis at the time. But we all know that culture is dynamic. The same bible makes us understand that it was cultural for women not to speak or preach in public. But that is an ancient culture now even in Israel as there are women ministers of God today. The hair of a woman is given to her for covering so says the scripture. Work with the tradition or doctrine of your local church and serve Jehovah. He is one and not divided. Thank you.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by twerkjack: 9:06am On Jan 18, 2015
xpac01:
Women with pretty hair do on sunday service could be very distracting both to female brethren and angels. Pls. cover it. Thanks.
A WOMANS COVERING OF HER HEAD IS HER HAIR, NO OTHER COVERING IS REQUIRED BY THE BIBLE..... I CORINTH 11 VS 15......AND HER HAIR IS GIVEN HER A COVERIN FOR HER HEAD INSTEAD OF A VEIL.....ITS A SHAME FOR A WOMANS HEEEAAAADDDDDD TO BE UNCOVERED NOT HER HAIR. A WOMAN WHO SHAVED HER HAIR MUST COVER HER HEAD WITH A VEIL BUH A WOMAN WITH LONG HAIR IS COVERED......
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by henryutd(m): 9:06am On Jan 18, 2015
Women conspiring with devil to populate the kingdom of hell from her days in the garden. Women! why?

Why do you like evil and disobedience so much?

No wonder bible says, narrow is the way and few are they that findeth that way.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Horlufemi(m): 9:08am On Jan 18, 2015
Whether you like it or not your heart is all that matters. If we are filthy on the inside we are just wasting time going to Church. You can cover your whole body and go to church but if you are still a sinner you no better than the prostitute out there. You can praise with your mouth and your heart far from God. Once you are a Christian you will know in your heart to dress moderately. Even if someone dresses half naked you won't be offended but you should focus on your own worship. You have no right to judge or be angry. She sins against God not you. Let the judgment be done by God. A lady can go to church with her hair uncovered or not. Its not your business to be angry for God. Pardon me but Christians are so full of shit. They don't know who serves God truly they can vouch people who look like holy holy and condemn people who aren't too holy.

My advice judge no one and vouch for no one but focus on your own spirituality instead of being religious. Religion is a distraction. Spiritually > Religion. Jesus > Religion.

Jesus is Lord
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by oabel(m): 9:24am On Jan 18, 2015
Have we asked ourselves, the hair the writer is referring to? Not the Brazilian hair of this days. Who among our woman still has the original hair that she would not cover?besides, am not sure the writer is using Verse 15 to encourage us to leave it uncovered while praying. Because the writer was talking of honouring the man as well. Verse 7. That means the woman that covers her hair anywhere,anytime, also honour her husband.

Don't let us deceive ourselves, since woman find it difficult to shave her hair let it be covered. Verse 6
But it is honourable to cover while praying to respect GOD.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Miscellaneous(m): 9:30am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
Can anyone throw more light on this

pick up your bible & read up 1corinthians 11:1-16 . . .you will get to understand better. . Dont be misled please.

For me women covering their hair is a must!
I know it sounds akward because of 'civilization' that is sweeping every section of human life. But civilization in christainity? Be careful!. . .

This same 'civilized individuals' asked us not to close our eyes when even praying because we are not in a shrine of some sort of juju stuffs where they close eyes but the presence of the lord where we are free with him & that those times of closing eyes are gone. Can u imagine?!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Orosotare(m): 9:30am On Jan 18, 2015
It is writen in the bible that a woman should cover her hair why praying
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by ibrhyme77(m): 9:32am On Jan 18, 2015
I laugh whenever i read something like this from xtians.They only choose what is convenient for them and discard all others,so covering the head now is jewish custom what abt circumsicion and all other customs u follow.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Sammiejokes(m): 9:40am On Jan 18, 2015
RedBenson:

Ok. It's biblical and religiously wrong for women to keep their head open when in the presence of God. I and my family dont do that.
Nigerian Christians and hypocrisy, wen did covering of head same as covering of hair. If u don't dress like the muslim women to church in the name of obeying scriptures, u have disobeyed that part of d scripture and you an hypocrite. The same Jesus we worship receive the cleansing of his feet from a prostitute's hair. He never condemned her. My people perish cause of lack of knowledge. If you cover your head you do that for your husband not God.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by YurFatHer: 9:44am On Jan 18, 2015
Wait lemme ask ifa
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by OsoDupe(f): 10:08am On Jan 18, 2015
chibwike:
1 corinthinas 11 vs 6
1 corinthinas 11 vs 15
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by nanaaa: 10:11am On Jan 18, 2015
We read and do not ask for understanding,vs 5 of that 1corinth 11 says dat if a woman prays or prophesies with her head uncovered she dishonours her head cos is as if her head were shaved.dat means she should cover her head if is shaved or leave it if she has a long hair.In vs 15 it says does nature not teach u dat a womans long her is her glory and given to her as a covering.I attend a church where head is covered but what matters is do I know wat d bible says so dat I will not judge doz dat did not cover theirs,Read well cos we keep judging d way even God will not judge yet we are all claiming to be right.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by OsoDupe(f): 10:13am On Jan 18, 2015
joeyekembele:
The ways of God are awesome that no one can explain it. He focuses his interest on our inner mind. Certain issues are better left for God to judge instead of judging for God. Interestingly, it is written that, whatever the people agree here on earth is established in heaven. Bible was written in three perspectives. 1. Some injunctions are holy ghost directed. 2. Some are based on the culture and tradition of the Israelis. 3. Some are based on the understanding of the writers at the point in time. But all these work together for our good. Any Christian body that compels her members to have hair covered in church is on the right path as well well as a church that sees it as unnecessarily compulsory to do so. It all depends on the church doctrine. The book of corinthians emphasises the need to have head covered from cultural perspective of the Israelis at the time. But we all know that culture is dynamic. The same bible makes us understand that it was cultural for women not to speak or preach in public. But that is an ancient culture now even in Israel as there are women ministers of God today. The hair of a woman is given to her for covering so says the scripture. Work with the tradition or doctrine of your local church and serve Jehovah. He is one and not divided. Thank you.
this explains it all, God bless you.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisja(m): 10:14am On Jan 18, 2015
hotgunz:
*2 Tim3:16(Read it).According to 2Tim3:16, the word scripture is the Greek word graphe meaning writings. In the days of Paul while addressing Timothy, there were several writings, some by Prophets, Apostles, philosophers, lawyers, doctors and other religious writers. Paul could not have told Timothy that all these writings were inspired by God, neither could he be referring to the bible because the bible as it is today was not in existence then. Only the Old Testament (Hebrew& Aramaic) the Greek Septuagint writings were available. If you say all writings are God inspired, this would be false as there were thousands of books & writings against Jehovah as @ this time. Comparing scripture with scripture, the reverse standard bible translates 2Tim3:16 thus, “All scripture that is given by the inspiration of the Spirit is profitable …the American Standard Version and Web version puts it this way respectively: Every scripture inspired by God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness…Every writing inspired by God(God breathed) is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for instruction which is in righteousness. Thus implying that not every scripture is given by the inspiration of God but the writings that are given by the inspiration of God are God inspired (breathed). Not every writing in your normal 66books Bible is inspired by God. Please I emphasize again, we should study the Bible( which is biblious in Hebrew meaning correlation of books) with a clear mind not clouded with all the junks we have been fed with.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by sanmibukunmi: 10:25am On Jan 18, 2015
When You reach heaven, ask baba God..
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Jeffy1206(m): 10:35am On Jan 18, 2015
To what I know is this... those times women who were prostitute wear a very long and attractive hair do to attract customers... With that kind of hair they are distinguished from other people, since then churches or my dear Roman Catholic has made it known for women to cover their hair...

Like seriously; personally I like and love women with very nice hair, so may others too! To avoid all this immoral thought in church, cover your hair ladies! !! cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by marvy7: 10:36am On Jan 18, 2015
efficiencie:

Oh yes, we should probably say: God is only concerned about the heart... why not wear bikini to church and shout a loud halleluyah!

Funny Christians! First they admonish people to [b] read and apply the scriptures
next they tell you some parts of scripture can be overruled and that disobeying them doesn't make you unholy

1Corinthians 11:5-6,10

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered... For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Abi dis wan no be bible too...dem go begin argue am now!

Broda...... ur head is dere
@irene.. i dont think u need an advice wat u will do is already in u.......how do i kno? By ur comments
I blv dis bro jst spoke right
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by TheAdvocate(m): 10:41am On Jan 18, 2015
shocked
xpac01:
Women with pretty hair do on sunday service could be very distracting both to female brethren and angels. Pls. cover it. Thanks.

Distract angels? :0. If yu want to be distracted, even the microphone in the church and the pulpit will distract yu. Stay focus in church and concentrate on the message bin preached shikenan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Prophesied About My Brother In The Army & It Came To Pass;Resigned Priest. PIC / When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? / I Don't Fall When Touched By My Church Pastor For Annoting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.