Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? (28453 Views)

Lady Mocks Women Who Think Attachment Is A Sin But Use Wool To Make Their Hair / Catholic Archbishop Of Kampala Warns Women To Stop Beating Their Husbands / It Is Mandatory For As A Christian To Love Your Enemies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Apina(m): 10:45am On Jan 18, 2015
Those advocating dat it's a Jewish custom and thus doesn't hold water within our present day society, pls do u know were Corinth is located? Cos if u do, then d issue of custom shouldn't arise. Secondly, those saying paul was only giving an advice should read dat Sam cor 11:2 were paul spoke of having maintained d traditions passed unto them which means dat paul wasn't speaking on his own accord or offering a word of advise Bt as an apostle whose magisterial authority spurns from d master, in other words he was only passing on what has been given him as a result of having received d holy spirit whom Christ promised would reveal d complete truth. Thirdly, d verse 16 was only an affirmation of verse 2 cos it isnt just a custom but a tradition dat has been laid down.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by kentozybee(m): 10:55am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
Can anyone throw more light on this
D Same Reason Y Muslims Use Hijab
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by uncjay(m): 11:04am On Jan 18, 2015
samflexxy:
Because 'mary' mother of JESUS our lord and savior, never exposed her hair she was always in vail she never expose her body

Are you clear now.
lolz some catholitism doctrine here.....other doctrines dey oooo
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by lumeneng22: 11:05am On Jan 18, 2015
In a prayer session for the fruit of the womb, an angel flew in and drop the blessing on the head of those who cover and flew back. So the choice is yours.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisja(m): 11:09am On Jan 18, 2015
lumeneng22:
In a prayer session for the fruit of the womb, an angel flew in and drop the blessing on the head of those who cover and flew back. So the choice is yours.
I laugh in French when I see such Ignorance displayed in the name of Spirituality... How I wish your eyes be opened to know the ways of God. The God who used a donkey, saved a prostitute in the whole of Jericho, called an adulterer and murderer a man after His heart will be swayed by covered hair when he wants to bless his children with the fruit of the womb when he already said none shall be barren... Please study your Bible, practice what it teaches, let the Holy Spirit lead you and leave all this abracadabra practice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by telad(m): 11:41am On Jan 18, 2015
Do ladies leave their hair uncover under rain? Do they put on headgear on native dress? That shows that covering the hair won't hurt.

I'm not saying is right or wrong but the more we bring to fore for questioning simple issues, the more complex they become.

Is it right for ladies to put on trousers, is it unholy to masturbate, will not paying tithe take me to hell, is homosexual biblical? the list is endless.

In summary; Christianity is a boarding school with rules and regulations. Paying school fees won't guarantee your graduation, you have to WORK HARD, read (Bible), pass exams (temptation), promote (spiritual growth).

If you cover your hair and discover on the judgement day that its unnecessary, you have nothing to lose but if its otherwise..... Think about it, happy Sunday Brethren
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by anukulapo: 11:49am On Jan 18, 2015
xpac01:
Women with pretty hair do on sunday service could be very distracting both to female brethren and angels. Pls. cover it. Thanks.
Hum...a simple approach to what is written.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Esdb3: 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
Can anyone throw more light on this
I knew you were heretic....Because the bible says so dumb-ass and don't mislead people.... I just sit watch and laugh at y'all atheists,dstv pple remving God's name that person of a pope accepting the evolution theory into the church.....I sit and wait for he who rides the clouds.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by sukkot: 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2015
its not necessary for women to cover their hair. it looks good but its not necessary. the bible does not tell you to cover your hair
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Esdb3: 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2015
chrisja:

I laugh in French when I see such Ignorance displayed in the name of Spirituality... How I wish your eyes be opened to know the ways of God. The God who used a donkey, saved a prostitute in the whole of Jericho, called an adulterer and murderer a man after His heart will be swayed by covered hair when he wants to bless his children with the fruit of the womb when he already said none shall be barren... Please study your Bible, practice what it teaches, let the Holy Spirit lead you and leave all this abracadabra practice.
Dumbiano it's the angels not him
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Sleekshady(f): 12:23pm On Jan 18, 2015
LOL
xpac01:
Women with pretty hair do on sunday service could be very distracting both to female brethren and angels. Pls. cover it. Thanks.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Sleekshady(f): 12:26pm On Jan 18, 2015
For me, it just doesn't seem right not to cover my hair in Church, no matter the Church I attend, I must cover my hair..
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Revolva(m): 12:53pm On Jan 18, 2015
Weda woman cover hair or not....does not matter to me....its how the woman treats her fellow human being that matters.....some of dem dat cover hair na dem bang pass

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2015
Rapzino:
thank you for indulging and encouraging me to go to Church in my boxers, yiihaa!

We all stand naked in the eyes of God and ultimately he is the only one that matters!

It would be CULTURALLY disrespectful to your other congregation members (probably) but if your hearts are pure then that's fine.

I have heard of naked services (weddings etc) in nudist colonies and these are perfectly ok.

Please do NOT confuse respect with sin! I for one feel uncomfortable going to Church without a tie on but I don't think god really minds one way or the other!

See, if we get past our silly and parochial cultural nonsense then we can concentrate on the important things.

IF you are attending Church in the nudist Colony then I do suggest you lose the boxers! wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisja(m): 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2015
Esdb3:
Dumbiano it's the angels not him
What ever that means, same to you... Lol, so he or the pastor or prophet saw the angel skipping those whose hair were not covered right?? Ignorance without measure on display....
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by telad(m): 12:58pm On Jan 18, 2015
Sleekshady:
For me, it just doesn't seem right not to cover my hair in Church, no matter the Church I attend, I must cover my hair..

you get many shoes oh, shoooo...
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:03pm On Jan 18, 2015
MissMeiya:

Ha! You've not even begun. Welcome to Christianity in Nigeria.

Yes you are quite correct. Christianity is practiced in slightly different ways from culture to culture. They all take parts of the Bible (usually in isolation) to justify this or that.

Fortunately these are not major issues.

Far better a lady attends Church (Hair covered or uncovered) than does NOT attend!

I have much more important issues if we wanted to address them (fake prophesies, rich pastors - poor congregations, babbling in pretend tongues, etc). However those are for a different thread!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by tomiobj(m): 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
but the kind of church i attend, we dont that,.....does that make unholy....cause i know am a christiab
1. Creation Order: The first reason for head covering is the order of authority found in a pre-fall creation. The roles of headship are listed in 1 Corinthians 11:3 which states “Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ”. So a head covering, being a Christian symbol of submission to authority is forbidden to be worn by the man, who is the head. In contrast, the woman is commanded to wear it to symbolize her submission to male authority. Paul expands upon this creation order in 1 Corinthians 11:7-10a where he says “For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake. Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head…”. Paul pointing back to Genesis as a reason for head covering is used as an argument against the view that head covering was merely a cultural custom.

2. Angels: The second reason for head covering is "because of the Angels". This comes from 1 Corinthians 11:10 where Paul says “Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.” We cannot know for certain what Paul meant by this verse since it is only given as a reason and not explained. Some popular interpretations of this passage are 1) An appeal to not offend the angels by our disobedience 2) a command to accurately show them a picture of the created order (Ephesians 3:10, 1 Peter 1:12) 3) a warning for us to obey as a means of accountability, since the angels are watching (1 Timothy 5:21) 4) to be like the angels who cover themselves in the presence of God (Isaiah 6:2) 5) to not be like the fallen angels who did not stay in the role that God created for them (Jude 1:6).

3. Nature: The third reason for head covering is what nature teaches us about gender distinctions (1 Corinthians 11:13-15). Paul gave the example of how nature teaches us about our hair lengths. He said, “Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering” (1 Corinthians 11:14-15). What he is saying is there are distinct differences between men and women seen in the natural order (like our hair lengths). When a gender distinction is disregarded and crossed (like men having long hair and women having short hair) that dishonors a person. Since a head covering in this context is a feminine symbol of being under male authority, what nature teaches us is that it’s for women only and for a man to wear a covering would be dishonorable. This is exactly what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 11:4-5.

4. Church Practice: The final reason for head covering is an appeal to the standard practice of all churches. Paul said this in 1 Corinthians 11:16, “But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.” The churches of God were spread out geographically over thousands of miles over such places as modern day Israel, Turkey & Greece. All these churches had a mixture of Jews and Gentiles fellowshipping in them and are from different cultures. Despite this, they all practiced head coverings showing that this was a Christian symbol rather than one of culture.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 18, 2015
samflexxy:
Because 'mary' mother of JESUS our lord and savior, never exposed her hair she was always in vail she never expose her body

Are you clear now.

Show us in the bible where it categorically states that Mary covered her hair ?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:09pm On Jan 18, 2015
Sleekshady:

Then by all means please do so! For my own part I feel I must wear a shirt and tie and jacket etc. I do this out of respect for the rest of the congregation and the particular social mores of the part of the world I am in at that time.

As for the Lord who can see into our very souls we both stand naked before him!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by anukulapo: 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2015
KoloOyinbo post=29652361
But Paul said this is a custom. Custom tells you what you need to do to be a part of a group or a society.And to be a part of the Church as at that time [/b:
you must cover your hair as a woman.
Women covering hair is nothing but a [b]custom for believer as at the time that verse was written
. But if you choose to follow it fine and if you don't want to follow
it there is nothing wrong with that.

How can it be any clearer than this?

You err because his reference to the word "custom" was not with respect to the source of the practice.
Like was rightly pointed out, his teaching were either
1) directly from the Lord
2) from the wisdom that God gave him
3) just an advice (from a person that has obtained favour from the Lord)

His reference to "custom" (as practiced by other churches) is just to backup his point.
In other words, he was trying to say "this thing I'm telling you is not a big deal in other churches because they are practicing it too." It is a custom that can be observed in other churches.

The source of his point is what you should seek (which should be one of the 3 above), then the usual argument can follow (whether he meant scarf/veil or he was referring to the hair as the veil).
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by anukulapo: 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Paul didn't say didn't say this is directly from the Lord and he didn't say if women didn't cover their hair they will go to Hell.

True,I don't think anyone is in danger of hell just because of head covering.

Hiswordxray:

Paul didn't say didn't say this is directly from the Lord...

But Paul said this is a custom.
Like I said earlier, the reference to custom of other churches is not the source of his teaching but a backup of his teaching.

Hiswordxray:

And to be a part of the Church as at that time you must cover your hair as a woman.

Women covering hair is nothing but a custom for believer as at the time that verse was written.

And at what point in the church history did it become optional?
Who received the revelation that in this time,it is optional? -- We can refer to Paul about the "requirement" of that time

And to be a part of the Church as at that time you must cover your hair as a woman.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by anukulapo: 1:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:24pm On Jan 18, 2015
anukulapo:

Correct. To be part of the Church at THAT TIME and indeed in that place a woman should have covered her hair. Christianity spread from way beyond its origins and became worldwide so we now (thousands of years and fashions later) have MANY PLACES and Churches way beyond Corinth etc!

As words change their meaning so much over the centuries we must be careful always to consider the MESSAGE! For both men and women the Message was to appear decent and respectful according to the social mores at the time and place of your Church attendance. If I as an Oyinbo wore Nigerian traditional dress to a Church service in my country it might (by some older folks) be considered disrespectful. If I wore it to a service in Naija it would not be considered inappropriate at all!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
anukulapo:

You err because his reference to the word "custom" was not with respect to the source of the practice.
Like was rightly pointed out, his teaching were either
1) directly from the Lord
2) from the wisdom that God gave him
3) just an advice (from a person that has obtained favour from the Lord)

His reference to "custom" (as practiced by other churches) is just to backup his point.
In other words, he was trying to say "this thing I'm telling you is not a big deal in other churches because they are practicing it too." It is a custom that can be observed in other churches.

The source of his point is what you should seek (which should be one of the 3 above), then the usual argument can follow (whether he meant scarf/veil or he was referring to the hair as the veil).

Well he said it is a custom! These change from place to place and time to time.

The key issue is how we can be so immature in our Christianity to concentrate on some irrelevancy and miss the message entirely. I appreciate that in a few communities it is necessary to simplify matters enormously to facilitate understanding but please not to the point of missing the important message.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by mu2sa2: 1:29pm On Jan 18, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

This 'advice' was from Paul and he did not claim it from God.

I think modern Christianity is much better than the primitive superstitious approach promoted before peoples were better educated. The Creator of them Universe concerned about the womanly fashion of ancient times. I think not. Both the Creator an indeed any Christian of today have better things to do than worry about stupid primitive taboos.

Perhaps we could actually discuss something of moral/ethical/theological importance?
Christians call the bible word of God but here u are disclaiming part of the same bible as Paul's whatever.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 18, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Yes you are quite correct. Christianity is practiced in slightly different ways from culture to culture. They all take parts of the Bible (usually in isolation) to justify this or that.

Fortunately these are not major issues.

Far better a lady attends Church (Hair covered or uncovered) than does NOT attend!

I have much more important issues if we wanted to address them (fake prophesies, rich pastors - poor congregations, babbling in pretend tongues, etc). However those are for a different thread!

I went to Mass in Abuja once and I forgot to pack a scarf because we don't wear them in America, and when I went up for Communion, this elderly woman was so shocked LOL. She was mouthing and motioning at my head, and I was like "Oops?" I think she thought it fell off?

Dude, I dunno. I grew up in a culture where covering your head indoors is disrespectful (unless you were Muslim, it was against school rules). So the idea is unnatural to me.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2015
MissMeiya:

I went to Mass in Abuja once and I forgot to pack a scarf because we don't wear them in America, and when I went up for Communion, this elderly woman was so shocked LOL. She was mouthing and motioning at my head, and I was like "Oops?" I think she thought it fell off?

Dude, I dunno. I grew up in a culture where covering your head indoors is disrespectful (unless you were Muslim, it was against school rules). So the idea is unnatural to me.

That is not a problem at all. Ko si wahalla! Do whatever YOU feel is most respectful. They did not have shirts and ties in Corinth but I would not dream of going to church without one.

We can argue theology all day and this and that translation of the Bible but in the final analysis God has a person relationship with each of us and through our own conscience lets us know when we sin as opposed to doing something socially unacceptable. It may be socially unacceptable in certain groups particularly in the developing world where it is better to keep things very simple indeed but do not confuse that with a sin.

Cover or uncover. Personally speaking if I were a Lady I would not want to upset other members of the congregation so I would wear a hear covering although a smile and gentle encouragement towards a better understanding of Scripture and Christianity for them might also be appropriate.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by HawtMummie(f): 1:44pm On Jan 18, 2015
samflexxy:

Are you clear now.

If only Christian women can emulate Mary, the Mother of Jesus.....scarf, veil, gowns..e no to hard now..personally I prefer such attires. it's not meant for Muslims alone. In the history of Christianity, that has been the mode of dressing.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

That is not a problem at all. Ko si wahalla! Do whatever YOU feel is most respectful. They did not have shirts and ties in Corinth but I would not dream of going to church without one.

We can argue theology all day and this and that translation of the Bible but in the final analysis God has a person relationship with each of us and through our own conscience lets us know when we sin as opposed to doing something socially unacceptable. It may be socially unacceptable in certain groups particularly in the developing world where it is better to keep things very simple indeed but do not confuse that with a sin.

Cover or uncover. Personally speaking if I were a Lady I would not want to upset other members of the congregation so I would wear a hear covering although a smile and gentle encouragement towards a better understanding of Scripture and Christianity for them might also be appropriate.

Oh, I know better now lol. I don't mind wearing a scarf. Nigerians don't mind openly telling you you're wrong lol, and I don't need the drama. I don't like to create waves when I'm in Nigeria, because it reflects on my parents. Their opinion is the only one that matters to me, and I would hate to embarrass them.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:50pm On Jan 18, 2015
mu2sa2:
Christians call the bible word of God but here u are disclaiming part of the same bible as Paul's whatever.

Yes. The message is from GOD. It was delivered by imperfect words through MAN and has been translated many times over the years (that is why we use current translations where the words are relevant in preferences to older translations where the meaning of the words has changed to render Gods message more obscure).

It means it is very important to study well and THINK. Not just of a word or sermon in isolation but in context. I love the Bibles that begin each book with a short preamble giving the background of the book. It increases our understanding so much and allows us to see the true message despite the limitations of mere words.

Paul wanted the Church in Corinth to be wary (various heretical groups were preaching teachings akin to Gnosticism) and was giving some excellent warnings for those people.

But its good to discuss and debate in order to get a deeper understanding - blind dogma can so often obscure deeper truths. Thanks
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:57pm On Jan 18, 2015
MissMeiya:

Oh, I know better now lol. I don't mind wearing a scarf. Nigerians don't mind openly telling you you're wrong lol, and I don't need the drama. I don't like to create waves when I'm in Nigeria, because it reflects on my parents. Their opinion is the only one that matters to me, and I would hate to embarrass them.

Yes I fully understand. Go with the flow! I am always a bit wary of being so judgemental myself but its a trivial issue really. My mother would always have worn a scarf/veil. But if it was not black then was quite unacceptable! (Except for weddings OF COURSE!)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Have You Noticed All The Women Accusing Suleiman Are Into Acting/showbiz? / Pastor Oritsejafor Shows His Football Skills At Warri City Stadium (Photos) / Those Who Lived Wayward Life In School Get Better Opportunities Than Church Goer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.