Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,564 members, 7,820,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! (46394 Views)

Why Are There Many Pregnant Brides Nowadays? / A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by chiefwedslolo(f): 1:12am On Apr 20, 2015
Shininstar30:
My church wedding coming up dis year and I don't know where to start

Well first get your church and pastor/priest secured with a date and time for your ceremony. Do you have that yet?

@onegai I am glad it worked out. I was worried.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Onegai(f): 11:24am On Apr 20, 2015
Hello everyone. Wedding was a success, bride off to a small honeymoon. As per the dresses from the designer, omo, the bridesmaids' dresses were all too tight. One was adjusted a week before the wedding, the other, the BM wearing it spent the friday before the wedding telling them how to adjust her dress (they had her measurements, sewed and left no allowance and didn't know how to fix it. Luckily she sews so she started instructing them). Another BM who flew in for the wedding wore her dress on the day of the wedding and it was too tight, the zip got spoilt and we had to cut her out of the dress and find a tailor that morning. A lot of these naija designers who proudly declare they don't copy dresses and only sketch, apparently what they do is buy patterns from sewing places abroad and duplicate it, then come and declare to you that your dress is one of a kind, sketched out by them, sewn with imported fabrics. And charge you crazily for that so-called "creativity". The BM who could sew (she flew in for the wedding too) immediately knew that was what was up and once she challenged the seamstresses at the designer's store, they admitted that yes it was patterns they used. The bride also realised this, as she had met other wedding "designers" and they kept insisting on their styles and when she described what she wanted (a 1920s style), they would disappear quietly rather than take the job. Also those mass Chinese websites are hit-and-miss too. A bride told us she ordered and got a cheap-looking gown instead.

Moral of the story: buy readymade and try it on immediately. Even better,rent.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Onegai(f): 11:44am On Apr 20, 2015
OTHER THINGS WE HAVE LEARNED

Half of your vendors will wake up the week of your wedding and start looking for how to disappoint you. Watch out especially for makeup,hair. Our makeup (a popular one) overbooked and couldn't figure out how to balance the bride and other clients (and since she was doing the bride a favour, decided to show her Nigerian personality and shouted at the bride that she was doing her a favour and lost her temper at the bride, the morning before the wedding. Don't worry, she promptly updated her BBM status with a Bible passage so you will know she's a good person. Very typical Naija behaviour. So we spent the day before the wedding searching for makeup artist.) This overbooking and disappointing is very common in the industry, so vendors like makeup and hair will start looking for ways to pass you off to their assistant or not show up if they get a higher-paying client, irrespective of if you booked them first (rather than realistically saying to themselves "I cannot do 4 brides in Lagos on a saturday because of traffic", na money dem go chase).

If your makeup disappoints, go to the malls where they have makeup stores and speak to them. One will be able to negotiate a new deal with you.

Your friends and well-wishers will also stress you. They will call you (at the last week before the wedding), start the conversation with "Bride oh, I hope you're not stressed", then proceed to stress you. One BM will realise she has to do her hair and show up, 30 minutes before you leave to the church and be squeezing her face that you are insisting to go to the church on time rather than be late so they can do her makeup. Other friends will realise they couldn't have been bothered to remember what day was your wedding so that week is the best time to start asking you for details undecided others will want you too organise transport and hotel for them. Very few will offer to help. grin So pick your BMs carefully (my bride's chief BM was a rockstar and has become everyone's best friend because she was helping bride plan her wedding from a different continent, whilst her BMs in Nigeria were waiting to be told "please help me" and were asking her to confirm she was sorting out makeup for them).

Have Extra money on hand. All of a sudden, random expenditure will pop up during the last week. You cannot avoid it, so hold extra cash on hand and do your best to control it. Suddenly, things will break, disappointment will start and crazy will happen. Ask your trusted most helpful relative and friend to be with you to discuss those little issues and help you keep your sanity.

Plan your wedding with your Groom. Nothing brings you closer than stress and madness shared together. I have heard of couples fighting a lot from wedding planning. The groom picked out the wedding IVs and got feedback from the bride, helped us look for makeup artists and was very involved in the wedding planning. Which is much better than a lot of grooms who barely know what's going on.

14 Likes

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Yetunspepper: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2015
Used once mermaid wedding gown for sale. Please Pm me if interested
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 8:57pm On Apr 20, 2015
Pweetiebabe:
Happy sunday to all the 2015 brides, wishing us all a blissful marriage in jesus name, May God in his infinite mercy make our homes heaven on earth... ....[/color]

Amen ooooo...God bless you dear
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by breadplanets(f): 10:18am On Apr 23, 2015
Errr.... Im not good with colours but i just have to make a decision concerning them. I want to use teal and yellow for my first outing during my trad which comes up later in the yr. Then red and white for me n my hubby during the main ceremony. The red and white is kind of a must cos of my hubby's own outfit which is a design from his place. Pls any advice on how to cordinate these colours with the decor and what my guests and friends plus family can wear? Im slowly but surely going crazy Did i also mention that d white will also be done dat same day? Now im sure u guys think im surely crazy with my colours hehehehe..... My friends cant help but laugh. Abeg i need help.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by flo13: 10:44am On Apr 23, 2015
pr 20
For any event whatsoever, ranging from corporate events(book launch, AGM, etc) weddings, couple's showers, bridal showers,baby showers to diaper showers, Naming Ceremonies, house warming, Graduation/Convocation and Church/Mosque events,Birthdays etc- Flo' Konsult is what you need. All you have to do is paint a picture and we'd bring it to life.
We provide Catering services,rental services, Small chops,Cakes,Chapman,asun, decoration, MC, DJ, Security, classy ushers, wedding gowns, bridal train wears, grooms' suit, bouquet, flex,customised website for couple,wedding consultation etc. We package events in a unique way,bringing your dream event alive and memorable. Contact us on 2B2E5CB3 or call 08035733235,08071968251.

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 9:42am On Apr 24, 2015
Good morning house, pls I need ideas on fabrics I can use as aso-ebi for my friends, I'm getting atiku for d guys, for d ladies*no idea* cos the laces I priced are on the high side. I need something very very affordable and nice. Location is lag. Thank you
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 9:49am On Apr 24, 2015
breadplanets:
Errr.... Im not good with colours but i just have to make a decision concerning them. I want to use teal and yellow for my first outing during my trad which comes up later in the yr. Then red and white for me n my hubby during the main ceremony. The red and white is kind of a must cos of my hubby's own outfit which is a design from his place. Pls any advice on how to cordinate these colours with the decor and what my guests and friends plus family can wear? Im slowly but surely going crazy Did i also mention that d white will also be done dat same day? Now im sure u guys think im surely crazy with my colours hehehehe..... My friends cant help but laugh. Abeg i need help.

You're not crazy with your colors dear, its your day...I was confused as well, maybe you should go back few pages, I was offered advice here too*my wedding is a day(trad and white). If you're on whatsapp add me on, maybe we can learn a thing or 2 .
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Pweetiebabe(f): 11:08am On Apr 24, 2015
lawvlypearl:
Good morning house, pls I need ideas on fabrics I can use as aso-ebi for my friends, I'm getting atiku for d guys, for d ladies*no idea* cos the laces I priced are on the high side. I need something very very affordable and nice. Location is lag. Thank you
Y not go for a Lovely and affordable cord lace, u can still get a nice one for 1800 to 2k per yard.... . .
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by breadplanets(f): 1:07pm On Apr 24, 2015
lawvlypearl:

You're not crazy with your colors dear, its your day...I was confused as well, maybe you should go back few pages, I was offered advice here too*my wedding is a day(trad and white). If you're on whatsapp add me on, maybe we can learn a thing or 2 .
Thanks love ive done that. You can remove your no now if you like.

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by sdbaba: 12:38am On Apr 26, 2015
Try This Event Planner for your events in Lagos. She's very honest and cost -effective

funketina:
Elite Event/conference Centre
47b, Lagos Road, Ikorodu, Lagos
Call 08026904409 or 08037912351.
We re an event planner. Our price is affordable.
Our services include:
* Event Planning and Management
* Event Decoration
* Cakes
* Catering Services
* Small chops
* Cocktail drinks.
We are located in Agric,Ikorodu. Lagos.
Call 07033249559 or ping 25BD3AFC.
Thanks hope to hear from u soon.

SATISFIED CUSTOMER COMMENTS BELOW ON https://www.nairaland.com/2155092/need-event-center-ikorodu

Thanks a lot FunkeTina for doing a wonderful job at my mum's funeral. You took all the stress away from me as regards catering services so I could focus on other things during the whole three days program. Thanks for your honesty and fair prices as well, I really appreciate it.

You sure expect to get more business from me very soon. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by megan1: 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
Congrats all.Thanks for the great job.

My wedding is this december and sometimes i feel like I'm preparing too early. i have only gotten reception venue (haven't booked yet).

i am still confused about the colours. i feel i should slow down in d planning and start properly in june as i'm thinking too often. i don't know if the feeling is common among brides

Any advise is welcome
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by MarryJK(f): 1:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
megan1:

My wedding is this december and sometimes i feel like I'm preparing too early. i have only gotten reception venue (haven't booked yet).

i am still confused about the colours. i feel i should slow down in d planning and start properly in june as i'm thinking too often. i don't know if the feeling is common among brides

Any advise is welcome

Never too early to prepare. Some people plan their wedding for years. I organized my friend's wedding. I also helped to make invitations for guests. It was great...unfortunately I can't insert a photo, but take my word! smiley
I also used wedding online community , where I found tips about making wedding planning checklist. It can help you to be more organized wink
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Onegai(f): 1:54pm On Apr 27, 2015
megan1:

Any advise is welcome

June is late if you don't have a lot of money. You can plan your dream wedding in 1 month if money is no problem but if you want to work with a budget, start early. Also there is something known as Wedding Peak Period (April, December and around public holidays) which means a lot of wedding vendors will be booked. So start contacting them now. Depending on your church as well, marriage classes and all your requirements may need a minimum of 6 months (especially true of the Catholic church) so in order not to stress yourself, start now.

As for colours, stick with you and your groom's favourite colours. Or pick colours you both tend to like in every day items like clothing, fabric, curtains etc. Those are colours you are attracted to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by megan1: 3:25pm On Apr 27, 2015
@onegai, I'm working strictly on budget o. i will find a way to start. i was looking at turquoise blue and peach for white wedding.

@MarryJK, thanks. let me make more research online
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Onegai(f): 5:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
CATHOLIC BRIDES

if you start on time, you can make things easier.

Firstly, know this: Marriage counselling is 12 consecutive weeks and they will NOT reduce it for anyone or anything in the world. The church is dead serious about it. If you live abroad, you can do the short version of it and submit your card to the church in Nigeria. But you need 12 weeks (add more weeks if your class falls on Sundays when the church cancels class, like Palm Sunday, during Christmas and Easter and some other feast days).
Your marriage counselling tutors will be strict, if you come late they may not sign your card and make you retake that class.

Depending on the diocese you go to, their requirements for sacraments you should do before marriage are different e. g St Dominic's Yaba requires Baptism, Holy Eucharist, Confirmation to be done before Marriage. They are serious and no amount of begging will make them relent. if your spouse is not Catholic, he/she will have to take those sacraments before giving you a date. Most Lagos mainland churches are like that. The ones on the island are more understanding and will require only Baptism. So ask before you register at a parish for marriage.

You can transfer your marriage to another parish as long as you have time, but the originating parish priest may decide to not allow the transfer because of lack of one sacrament.

Your Baptismal card is of utmost importance. Go and find it now. Nothing will happen if you don't have one.

Add an additional 4 weeks for marriage Banns to be read in your parish of residence plus the parish in your village. The church will NOT wed you till they get notices back from all parishes that you are eligible for marriage. And they usually will not start Banns till after marriage class is complete. You will have to coordinate sending out an receiving the banns back from all other parishes to the one you are using for the wedding.

if your spouse is not Catholic, he/she will be required to be baptised in the church (they do recognise Anglican, Methodist and Baptist. they do not recognise Pentecostal baptism) and may have to do other sacraments. In the SE Nigeria, they are more rigid and may either give your spouse a document to sign that he/she will not encourage you or your kids to leave the church or make you take a solemn oath on a bible (before they celebrate the marriage).

You will pay to use church things like the choir and altar boys. If you're on the mainland, usually less than N10, 000. If you're on the island, expect N40, 000 upwards if it is a big parish or a parish in a nice area.

If you are wedding in a big mainland parish like St Dominic's or Holy Family, expect to have trouble getting dated (particularly during wedding season). So they may end up doing mass weddings for you and 19 other couples (I'm not making this up). The churches on the island like Church of Assumption or Our Lady of Perpetual Help won't do this to you, but you have to pay more to use them and you will have to book in advance.

If you are an expecting bride, ask if the church has any reservations (please don't hide it, they always find out). Some do and will give you specific days you can marry in their parish (some will say first Saturday of the month for expecting brides only) and may insist that you don't wear white as your wedding gown since you're pregnant. Again, the more flexible churches will not.

Please follow their dresscode (no sexy wedding gowns) as they can stop the wedding and if you come late, they will start without you or your spouse.

You can ask all these questions in your initial visit to your parish before you register to get married there.

A lot of people don't quite understand what they're getting into and it adds to their planning stress. so please read this so you have an idea. HTH

10 Likes

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 11:08pm On Apr 27, 2015
megan1:

Any advise is welcome

Not to early to start planning, it will reduce your stress later. The thinking "feeling" you should ask me, I barely sleep and wedding is in Aug. Got all my vendors booked since april.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by megan1: 8:28am On Apr 28, 2015
lawvlypearl:

Not to early to start planning, it will reduce your stress later. The thinking "feeling" you should ask me, I barely sleep and wedding is in Aug. Got all my vendors booked since april.

Thanks. Would begin my search for vendors. Hope this tension reduces.

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by irawoowuro: 4:44pm On Apr 28, 2015
megan1:

Any advise is welcome

Congrats dear,

I dont think its too early to plan cos, time flies so fast and the economic situation is not encouraging. My advise is that you begin to save and pay for the things you need now so you wont have to be stressed and start to rush when the time come, cost of thing might also go up so its best to get as much as you can as soon as you can.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by taryour(f): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2015
megan1:

Thanks. Would begin my search for vendors. Hope this tension reduces.
Congrats on your forth coming wedding.
Boash Cakes and Events is at it again,and this time around its a BIG ONE you can't afford to miss. For our 2015 brides, Boash Cakes and events in conjunction with L'poise Beauty Palace got your back. Here is the deal. Book for your traditional and wedding cakes bnmlFREE make up done for the bride for BOTH traditional and wedding events. Hmmmm that's not all, you still get your cut out cakes for 250 guests absolutely FREE. So what are you waiting for Hurry now and make your bookings. Boash Cakes and Events. Meeting your demands at all times and exceeding your expectations exceptionally. Contacts - 08061385853, BB Pin - 33313FAC.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by chiefwedslolo(f): 4:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
Yes please start early. I'm starting early and I'm saving so much money and stress.

Say No to African time when planning your wedding! Lol

megan1:

Any advise is welcome
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by megan1: 11:31am On Apr 30, 2015
Thanks all. I'm feeling much better cheesy

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 7:41pm On May 06, 2015
Pweetiebabe:
Y not go for a Lovely and affordable cord lace, u can still get a nice one for 1800 to 2k per yard.... . .
Thank you ma, how many yards will I give them?
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by mrssho: 6:39pm On May 08, 2015
Looking for a wedding planner in Lagos
Call us at Beauty by My MakeupNG
We serve brides all over Nigeria and we are very affordable
COntact us at 08082975242 BBM: 53470E05

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Yemiolads(f): 7:38pm On May 08, 2015
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Rejoyla(f): 9:30am On May 09, 2015
Hi, I planned my wedding for November and fortunately, i am pregnant for my second child and my due date is ending of November. I don't even know what to do cos we picked November becos it falls around my fiancé yearly leave period. I really need advice because we want to go to registry, do trad and even do engagement within that November. Note that we picked the date in January, so i didn't plan to be in this predicament

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Mariecakes(f): 10:24am On May 09, 2015
Rejoyla:
Hi, I planned my wedding for November and fortunately, i am pregnant for my second child and my due date is ending of November. I don't even know what to do cos we picked November becos it falls around my fiancé yearly leave period. I really need advice because we want to go to registry, do trad and even do engagement within that November. Note that we picked the date in January, so i didn't plan to be in this predicament

Plenty blessings everywhere..there is really nothing to be worried about, Since you due ending of november, your wedding should be early november rite?? n the best way to avoid too much stress is to start planning n look for vendors now and to do them on the same day (registry, trad n engagement)
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by missade(f): 11:51pm On May 10, 2015
So glad I found this thread!
I'm a 2015/2016 bride cheesy My dad is yet to give a specific date but it's btw Nov and Jan next year. By August, we'll have the specific date at the intro undecided

@onegai, I didn't know the Catholic Church required the bobo to be baptised! grin

I have started planning by checking out different vendors. We have a budget we will work with.

@evina, I keep procrastinating with the waist training, u just motivated me. But it requires u to also work out.

I'm also lost for the colours to use. We thought of purple and yellow. Any ideas?

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Mariecakes(f): 9:32am On May 11, 2015
missade:
So glad I found this thread!

I'm also lost for the colours to use. We thought of purple and yellow. Any ideas?
I personally prefer navy blue and champagne gold to purple and yellow

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by engrsyer(m): 12:53pm On May 11, 2015
I don't even know what brought me into this thread.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by blaizze(f): 4:17pm On May 11, 2015
gringrin;D2015 groom

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Check Out This Photo Of A Dwarf Family / How Would You React To This If It Happened In Your House? / Avoid Family Pornography!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.