Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,150 members, 7,849,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:49 AM

Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) (7496 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / Senate Rejects National Conference / Femi Gbajabiamila Rejects National Honour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by gamerod: 11:29pm On Dec 16, 2008
so?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by lucabrasi(m): 11:49pm On Dec 16, 2008
@post
while its a morale boost for other anti corruption crusaders in nigeria and every nigerian and a sign that the man is still on the side of the people,i think it would have made much more impact if he accepted the award and then rejected it publicly at the very venue in full view of the cameras with a speech as to why that was done
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Muza(m): 11:57pm On Dec 16, 2008
lucabrasi:

@post
while its a morale boost for other anti corruption crusaders in nigeria and every nigerian and a sign that the man is still on the side of the people,i think it would have made much more impact if he accepted the award and then rejected it publicly at the very venue in full view of the cameras with a speech as to why that was done

gaskiya you no wish Gani well,wat do u think those overzeleous sss will do.I cant even imagine wat they will do to him.
Its better that he rejected it b4 the day,cos u know in naija sm cant just be arrested on thrump up charges.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by lucabrasi(m): 12:13am On Dec 17, 2008
u think?
they wouldnt want to risk a national embarassement,its easy to deal with him if he was maybe being violent but that kind of action especially with yar adua right there would further damage his credibility,im very sure yar adua wont dare try to arrest him especially as it would make all the papers
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by aragbaboy: 12:21am On Dec 17, 2008
I am happy Gani rejected it. Yar'Adua is a shame and disgrace, things re going back in naija everyday, the man is confused. The embarrassment would ve been more effective if he has really gone there and publicly refused it. Before the cameras, they would not ve touched him, because the whole world is watching. sad
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Muza(m): 12:26am On Dec 17, 2008
they might not drag him out but the sure will seize the microphone from him and tell him to go and sit down.
cos there was this incident at the pdp convention where yar adua won,i think it was sarah jibril that wanted to talk on the mic when a plain clothe security seized the mic and told her to get lost.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by empress12: 12:43am On Dec 17, 2008
To call honorable for rejecting the honour given to him,will be hypocritical,i personally think he did it for publicity,attention and controversy he knew it would cause.
Gani was one of the loudest critics of the EFCC when it was headed by Ribadu,he called them OB J's person thugs,he criticised Ribadu's undeserved promotion,also criticised him when some governors were arrested and released on bail just to never hear EFCC open their cases.He rightly criticised EFCC's selective justice.

Does the fact that the govt turned against Ribadu suddenly made him less corrupt?

I WONDER when Nigerians would stop thinking like dum asses Ur mis, interpreting wat gani is saying,  read in BTW the lines , anyway go GANI FAWEHINMI tell them
  as for u azorji go back to school Ur just a dum ass lipsrsealed embarassed tongue shocked sad angry grin
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Naijex: 12:48am On Dec 17, 2008
Gani Fawehinmi - Thank you for your contribution toward a better Nigerian
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by kingron: 12:50am On Dec 17, 2008
gani try
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by lucabrasi(m): 12:55am On Dec 17, 2008
@empress
thats the more reason to show he only supports injustice whereever he sees it,personally i dont support ribadu on these issues presently because of the negatives that have stained his otherwise awesome job but i think what you have just listed has shown gani as what he professes to be rather than an hypocrite
@muza
the original,vintage gani fawehinmi is not the same thing as sarah jubril, trust me even if an sss was making a move which i agree they will,even yar adua will stop them before they embarass him,look at the gov aide that had a thing with just iyabo,the sss  director came out with a statement the next day distancing the sss from the whole thing,how much more gani
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Muza(m): 1:00am On Dec 17, 2008
lucabrasi:

@empress
thats the more reason to show he only supports injustice whereever he sees it,personally i don't support ribadu on these issues presently because of the negatives that have stained his otherwise awesome job but i think what you have just listed has shown gani as what he professes to be rather than an hypocrite
@muza
the original,vintage gani fawehinmi is not the same thing as sarah jubril, trust me even if an sss was making a move which i agree they will,even yar adua will stop them before they embarass him,look at the gov aide that had a thing with just iyabo,the sss director came out with a statement the next day distancing the sss from the whole thing,how much more gani

thats true smiley
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by FrankC3: 5:41am On Dec 17, 2008
Thank you Gani for another bold one.

Rejecting the dishonorable 'honor' is an easy decision to take in the face of the inept leadership at the center. No direction, no policy plan, no ambition, practically no leadership- just trying to manage what they (Yar'dua/Usman/Aandoakaa) found on stage and doing that so badly.

For those who accuse Ribadu of going about things the wrong way, i cant stop thinking that they are the foot soldiers of the same corrupt politicians that were guests to Ribadu. For me, anti-corruption war should be for Nigeria what anti-terror' war is to the US, ony that this time, the real terrorists are enemies within. Tell Dick Cheney about rule of law when the issue of G-Bay prison is on the table, or the invasion of Iraq or other such acts. To the supporters of this corrupt managers at the center, i ask you to consider the effects of corruption and understand that it is worse than communicable avian flu, to which bold, desperate and strong measures are needed to stem.
Ribadu has not been accused of prosecuting innocent people, he has only been accused of not respecting their 'immunity' during the prosecution. That guy achieved in few years what Nigeria as a nation could not achieve in a generation. Maybe, Dora Akunyili will be the next.

Gani stood for the right cause. Lets all hail that decision.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by duduspace(m): 6:34am On Dec 17, 2008
True words from a true patriot who walked his talk unlike many others, even while battling a life threatning disease he is still fighting for the good of the country. Someday, a government will recognize these heroes who dedicated themselves to the restoration of our nation and generations unborn will read of their words and deeds.

@empress,
You are missing the point, people may disagree on methods while agreeing to tackle a common cause. The fact that Ribadu made some mistakes while in office is no excuse for this witch hunt. It sends a very bad message about our willingness as a people to tackle what we have all identified as the major problem in our society when those who champion that battle are being hounded (not even in a civillized manner) by the people who are custodians of our future. It leaves a very bad state in the mouth and makes you wonder if we have truly come of age to take our future in our own hands.

Please take note that while you may condemn Ribadu for being high-handed, over-zealous, or Baba Iyabo's hatchet man; no one has been able to prove any corruption on his part and it does say something about the man's integrity particularly when his replacement is known to parley around with the very looters of our country.

I also know from personal experience that what Gani said about the EFCC was true about corrupt leaders coming to the conclusion that the fear of the EFCC was the beginning of wisdom as I once visited the PDP HQ in Abuja on behalf of an IT company I worked for at the time and I clearly remember one of the politicians who came in to see the Secretary of the party while we were there being ill at ease because we were all young men dressed in black suits who he thought were EFCC agents and he did utter that phrase and shared a laugh with the secretary after being reassured we were not from the EFCC.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by TheOne2(m): 7:07am On Dec 17, 2008
To correct an impression:

Gani was always a supporter of Ribadu's anti-graft campaign though he might have disagreed with him on the methodology in one or two odd cases.

Saying Gani opposed EFCC during OBJ's regime is A LIE and OUTRIGHT FALSIFICATION OF FACTS.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by scottN(m): 7:16am On Dec 17, 2008
I would have raised an eyelid if Gani had accepted the National Honor.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by angelina08(f): 8:05am On Dec 17, 2008
If Gani Fawehinmi Rejected Nation Honour, He has a reason for that, and it is not my business.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by otukpo(f): 8:27am On Dec 17, 2008
Bettes
god bless you for saying the truth and taking us down memory lane. We Nigerians are too forgetful. Was is it not the same Gani that criticized ribadu and EFCC for their abuse of human rights and disregard for rule of law. the same Gani that constantly said that Ribadu/EFCC is a tool that OBJ was using to witch-hunt his enemies.
why has Gani suddenly to regard Ribadu as a person that fought corruption. Somebody is not sincere with us here. Nairalanders let us stop reasoning like kids, except u ar one.

two wrongs dont make a right and i hav not seen what the FG has done wrong to Ribadu. is it for him to give an account of his stay in office? Resume for his official duties as a police officer he is? or is it that he thought that he will remain as EFCC chairman till thy kingdom come? Obey simple rules and regulations as every other nigerian citizen? is it the demotion by the Nig. Police? i remenber vividly that this same Gani vehemently criticised the promotion that it was not deserved and one of the abuses of office by OBJ. some one is here today to right the wrong Gani said OBJ did by the demotion and he Gani is not happy again.
Haba, i tire for this country, what can any human do to make u pple happy? Ribadu can as well fight corruption at his new duty post in Edo.
and for those that think that ribadu is their hero, make una wait, is it not when the breeze blows that you will see the chicken yash. time will tell. All these media packaging will not save ribadu. it is even written that there is no peace for the wicked. it has just started
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by otukpo(f): 8:30am On Dec 17, 2008
angelina08
could u pls remind us what Gani said about that 2 step promotion given to ribadu by OBJ
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by otukpo(f): 8:39am On Dec 17, 2008
Frank-C
dont even try to place Ribadu where u place Dora Akunyili. the 2 cannot be compared. Dora is sincere in her fight and no one has accused her of witch-hunt. ribadu was constantly accused even while he was still in office so its not a question of she is still in office. anyday anytime, Dora is my hero, she is using her brains very well unlike the daft they call ribadu.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by scottN(m): 8:44am On Dec 17, 2008
otukpo:

Frank-C
don't even try to place Ribadu where u place Dora Akunyili. the 2 cannot be compared. Dora is sincere in her fight and no one has accused her of witch-hunt. ribadu was constantly accused even while he was still in office so its not a question of she is still in office. anyday anytime, Dora is my hero, she is using her brains very well unlike the daft they call ribadu.

Chauvinist! If Ribadu is daft I wonder what Waziri is?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by sholasys: 8:50am On Dec 17, 2008
I am overwhelm for the response to this topic. I also appreciate the moderator for making it a home page. I hv gain alot, politically, ideology,psychologically etc. I jst want to employ all nairalander to stop using absurd languages to each others. Lets behave like leaner ed pple

Gani is a great man. He is my Hero but sometimes he has been inconsistent. A lot of controversies have brew up in the national dailies due to his stmts, opinions on national issues. Injustice is Injustice. And Injustice somewhere is a threat to justice anywhere. Ribadu has been unjust to some pple, treated them with disdain. Now he violate the rules and regulation of the Force. As long as he his still a force man, he most obey them and most face the punishment. All those supporting Ribadu are highly sentimental.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by talktohenr(m): 9:13am On Dec 17, 2008
My guess is: Gani want some attention, as always. Just think for a minute "who has ever rejected an honour such as the OFR?" This is history in the making!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by abhosts(m): 9:24am On Dec 17, 2008
talktohenr:

My guess is: Gani want some attention, as always. Just think for a minute "who has ever rejected an honour such as the OFR?" This is history in the making!

Gani is not making any history in this regard. Chinua Achebe also rejected the National honour during Obasanjo's Regime.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by carmelily: 9:38am On Dec 17, 2008
abhosts:

Gani is not making any history in this regard. Chinua Achebe also rejected the National honour during Obasanjo's Regime.

Tell him o.

It just warms my heart and restores my faith in Nigeria to know that we still have true, fearless patriots like Gani. Only completely brainless idiots would disagree with any point he made in this press briefing.

May God continue to bless and strengthen and multiply the Ganis, Ribadus, Felas [/b]and [b]Akunyilis of this great country.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by MrCrackles(m): 9:56am On Dec 17, 2008
Topic

Isnt the reason obvious?
undecided
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by LETDEMSAY(f): 10:38am On Dec 17, 2008
At a time like this in a country ruled by morons and money bags, men Gani-like men is really needed.Busy body kind of Govts, with dilapidated roads, lame lighting system, corruption infected nation bride people with honors must forever be reject and pointed to true governance.NAIRALANDERS, i know some of us in future will be honored or have being honored with such honors, but find not too bad to saying no to a BACKWARD economy by rejecting or droping such honors.

Shikena!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by tebric: 11:35am On Dec 17, 2008
you better get your facts right Gani never criticised Ribabu rather had been consistent in the support of Ribadu that he offers him legal representation free of charge. If Gani was fit he would have been the one representing Ribadu in court.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by PeeDaVinci: 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2008
Gani criticised EFCC? BIG LIE. He has always been a die-hard/staunch supporter of EFCC
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by sperrysun(m): 2:26pm On Dec 17, 2008
I don't understand the selective amnesia of some people on this forum. Chief Gani Fawehinmi is one of the most principled men alive in Nigeria today. I knew even before the announcement that Gani was going to reject that useless award. You only need to scrutinize his principles and his moral leanings to understand the kind of person that Chief Ganiyu Fawehinmi is.

Bettes and co are saying that Gani was one of the most vocal critics of the EFCC under Ribadu,but was he against the job being done by the EFCC or the person doing the job.Granted,there were a few cases of judicial excesses on the part of Ribadu and the EFCC, but no right thinking Nigerian can argue that Ribadu did more to fight corruptio in Nigeria than any other individual or establishment. Gani was criticizing the excesses of the EFCC na dnot the job they were doing.

Chie Gani did well to reject that 'dis-honour' just like another great Nigerian, Prof. Chinua Achebe did a couple of years ago. There is no moral bases for the govt to be dispensing awards, the country is a virtual failure by all indices of statehood,so what is there to celebrate?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by otukpo(f): 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2008
sholasys
God bless you for saying the truth as it is. not all these sentimental hypocrites.

chief Gani has many other reasons to reject the honour if he so wishes but not for Ribadu for goodness sake. Ribadu is not worth it. For Nigeria, i can agree.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by chidichris(m): 3:00pm On Dec 17, 2008
Gani like anyother citizen of nigeria has the right to reject or accept honours.
he has acted very well and he has just followed the footstep of chinue achebe.
his reasons will not matter to all because he is entitle to his own opinion.
the most important thing in nigeria that the govt is not doing well. again, i do see these honours as ways of committing these activists.
accepting honours from any govt means supporting the govt and its ideologies.
if our president fraudulently took the seat of power, anyone recieving his honours means surpporting the govt and her fraudulent activities
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by kulus(f): 4:00pm On Dec 17, 2008
I dont blame Ribadu he was only obeying instructions given to him by his boss OBJ, wat pains me the most is that nobody is attacking OBJ it seems like he doesnt even exist. Whether we accept it or not Ribadu's actions reduced corruption in this country and if he had bin left to continue this our new leaders will be more careful but now Yar'adua's govt is telling us that anybody can do anything and get away wit it cos the case files can get missing at any time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons / Akwa Ibom State Politics: How Expectation Of N150b Bond Is Delaying Justice / JTF Recovers 36 Bombs In Kano Raid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.