Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,063 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. (6361 Views)

A Family Of 11 With, 4 Sets Of Identical Twins And A Son / Can I Start A Family With 70k? / Dear Family, A Depressed Soul Needs Your Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 08, 2015
Yomieluv:
Happiness is a state of the mind..

We tend to think only people around us will make us happy,happiness outside radiates the happiness inside..

We live our lives to impress people,who don't even give a damn about our existence,or well-being..

Self contentment should be our watchword.

True!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 08, 2015
aisha2:
If they are from the north its probably how they were brought up.
They are raised to believe everything is in Gods hands and one should accept his lot in life be content and not complain.

Hence a Hausa man will leave his wares and follow you several kilometres if you forget your change or you over pay him.

This belief system has both advantage and disadvantages. Advantage being contentment and honesty. Disadvantages being that most will lack ambition especially those coming from the humble background. They dont speak up against bad leadership because they reason God put the person there hence Northern leaders have for years gotten away witg crass stealing. An emir once resisted nornadic education because he reasoned that if all kids went to school there will be no one to feed his horses.

Money however doesn't guarantee happiness, Dangote for instance has married serially thrice and all the wives will stay a bit and leave, he is currently single and not ready to marry

I agree to a large extent!

Some people tend to use religion and culture as tools to help enslave the minds of their subjects.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 08, 2015
sweetbaby22:
I find you and your story interesting wink

I feel happiness and money are two different things.

Money can NOT buy happiness neither can happiness bring money.

You have to learn how to be happy despite you condition, whether rich or poor.

There are quite a lot of things that can make us happy, like the security guard is got a loving wife and FOUR kids.

That's enough for him to ne happy and thankful to God

There are so many rich people both rich and poor looking for such.

Now your question "am I as happy as he is"

First, you need to think of WHAT makes you happy?

And to know that you need to search deep within you.

Options: Family, Relationship, Career, Business and so on.....

You don’t want to be rich, you want to be happy.

Many people mistakenly believe that the former leads to the latter.

While it’s certainly true that money can help you achieve your goals, provide for your future, and make life more enjoyable, merely having money doesn’t guarantee happiness.

Personally, I feel happiness is worth more than having riches.

You said it and I agree with you!

Thank you!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Rich4god(m): 2:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
striktlymi:

Hmmm...

You just gave me a completely different perspective to this.

I agree with you that culture, especially as it relates to societal pressures, has a lot to do with my observations but going by your thoughts on the matter, it is still possible for someone with a similar cultural background as he to be unhappy if given the same opportunities as he has.
Maybe you didnt really get me.... I pointed that out in my first paragraph where I said that "it depends on individual, culture and responsibility.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 08, 2015
Rich4god:

Maybe you didnt really get me.... I pointed that out in my first paragraph where I said that "it depends on individual, culture and responsibility.

I know!

I was only reiterating what you mentioned.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Mavrick2012: 2:39pm On Jan 08, 2015
me think "comparism" and "competition" constitutes a preponderous bane to our happiness

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by 53cur3m0d3(m): 2:59pm On Jan 08, 2015
Mavrick2012:
me think "comparism" and "competition" constitutes a preponderous bane to our happiness
Gbam!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by dhabeautyjas(f): 4:18pm On Jan 08, 2015
A home is a place where you have contentment, appreciation and so much love. with these three things, you will always be happy no matter the situation.

growing up wasnt rossy for us but there is a very strong bond in the family and we were taught contentment and to appreciate one another for the slightest thing as little as picking dirt from another's hair.
people thought we were very rich cos we were always happy and cheerful.

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by inspiROHM(m): 5:43pm On Jan 08, 2015
OP just bring out time and watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j_OCNLuYg
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2015
inspiROHM:
OP just bring out time and watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j_OCNLuYg

Nice one!

We truly make simple things exceptionally difficult for ourselves.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2015
dhabeautyjas:
A home is a place where you have contentment, appreciation and so much love. with these three things, you will always be happy no matter the situation.

growing up wasnt rossy for us but there is a very strong bond in the family and we were taught contentment and to appreciate one another for the slightest thing as little as picking dirt from another's hair.
people thought we were very rich cos we were always happy and cheerful.

Thanks for sharing!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Jayne2014(f): 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2015
mutter:
A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME!
So true.
A house is only a home when loved ones are there.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by LordReed(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2015
thorpido:
If he meets up with basic needs like feeding and a place to sleep,I guess he can always make himself happy.Happiness to a great extent depends on the state of the mind.Having people you love and who love you around you also does a lot to your state of happiness.

The truth.

Our lives have become so much more complicated by the things we desire. I want to live in town in a 5 bedroom duplex, I want ipad, I want Jeep, I want gold and on and on with no end to the wants. Some days I ask myself why one room is not enough for me why I need more, it eludes me sometimes why we need more and more when the the things that are truly important are right with us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by mystiqueDZ(f): 8:52pm On Jan 08, 2015
Everyone always said that money bought happiness, but how much? Does income have a direct or causal effect on happiness?

The man is contented ....
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by dhabeautyjas(f): 8:49am On Jan 09, 2015
striktlymi:

Thanks for sharing!

you are welcome

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2015
In any way one twists it, happiness in today's world is indirectly or directly measured in monetary terms. Just that the scale of measurement is relative and can be altered with time or events. What happens when the man's income is suddenly slashed to 10K or when the kids outgrew his income?
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2015
YourCoffin:
In any way one twists it, happiness in today's world is indirectly or directly measured in monetary terms. Just that the scale of measurement is relative and can be altered with time or events. What happens when the man's income is suddenly slashed to 10K or when the kids outgrew his income?

I do nit agree with you!

A salary deduction does not necessarily mean the individual would go about not being cheerful.

I have seen cases where some people keep up a good cheer in the face of terrible difficulties, to include a loss of job.

Not being happy with a particular situation does not necessarily imply that the individual lacks contentment or has stopped being cheerful.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 2:08pm On Jan 09, 2015
striktlymi:

I do nit agree with you!

A salary deduction does not necessarily mean the individual would go about not being cheerful.

I have seen cases where some people keep up a good cheer in the face of terrible difficulties, to include a loss of job.

Not being happy with a particular situation does not necessarily imply that the individual lacks contentment or has stopped being cheerful.

We're saying the same thing sir, but with different approach.

Not being happy with a particular situation means you're not contented with that situation. Because, events are connected together like a tangle of web and linked to your emotion box, if the bad situation doesn't change soon- most times it requires money or its equivalent as catalyst- it corrupts the entire system, hence my question.

Like I said earlier, one's state of happiness is measured by events and those events are controlled by money. The ability of a scenario to deviate from the status quo is very minimal when a woman is involved....
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 09, 2015
YourCoffin:

We're saying the same thing sir, but with different approach.

Not being happy with a particular situation means you're not contented with that situation. Because, events are connected together like a tangle of web and linked to your emotion box, if the bad situation doesn't change soon- most times it requires money or its equivalent as catalyst- it corrupts the entire system, hence my question.

Like I said earlier, one's state of happiness is measured by events and those events are controlled by money. The ability of a scenario to deviate from the status quo is very minimal when a woman is involved....

I still disagree...

The events that may determine an individual's state of happiness aren't necessarily "controlled by money".

Unless you want to tell us that the following are dependent on how fat one's bank account is:

1) Contentment.
2) Love from a spouse and one's kid(s).
3) Etc.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 4:26pm On Jan 09, 2015
striktlymi:

I still disagree...

The events that may determine an individual's state of happiness aren't necessarily "controlled by money".

Unless you want to tell us that the following are dependent on how fat one's bank account is:

1) Contentment.
2) Love from a spouse and one's kid(s).
3) Etc.

Yes, that's what I'm saying....
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 09, 2015
YourCoffin:

Yes, that's what I'm saying....

Money does not bring contentment. If it does, our greedy politicians won't want to have more, after amassing so much, at all costs.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2015
striktlymi:

Money does not bring contentment. If it does, our greedy politicians won't want to have more, after amassing so much, at all costs.

The constant pursuit of money is a source of happiness to some, that's why I said, "...the scale of measurement is relative..." Heck! It's a source of mine too. Nothing gives me joy than seeing my account swell like a balloon....
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 09, 2015
YourCoffin:

The constant pursuit of money is a source of happiness to some, that's why I said, "...the scale of measurement is relative..." Heck! It's a source of mine too. Nothing gives me joy than seeing my account swell like a balloon....

Then our thoughts on the matter are different.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 4:50pm On Jan 09, 2015
striktlymi:

Then our thoughts on the matter are different.

Yes, different paths to the same location......
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 09, 2015
YourCoffin:

Yes, different paths to the same location......

Cool!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by dhabeautyjas(f): 12:12pm On Jan 12, 2015
YourCoffin:

Money is important but not the most important in this life. A family that loves themselves and are always cheerful will always be even when there are financial gallopies (if there is any english like that)
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by dhabeautyjas(f): 12:15pm On Jan 12, 2015
YourCoffin:

yes o, some people's life revolves around money and mostly such people never get real happiness till they go 6 ft under

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 5:28pm On Jan 12, 2015
dhabeautyjas:

Money is important but not the most important in this life. A family that loves themselves and are always cheerful will always be even when there are financial gallopies (if there is any english like that)

You're allowed a dose of poetic licence if you're a poet. I get you anyway.

It's known that the person we love most is the one who can readily solve our needs. Pray tell what that person uses to solve those needs 80% of the time. So, which is really the most important?
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by YourCoffin: 5:30pm On Jan 12, 2015
dhabeautyjas:

yes o, some people's life revolves around money and mostly such people never get real happiness till they go 6 ft under

It would be far worse without money for anybody.......
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by ihedinobi2: 10:48pm On Jan 12, 2015
Happiness = right principles + contentment.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 13, 2015
ihedinobi2:
Happiness = right principles + contentment.

I agree!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 15, 2015
striktlymi:
I never thought much about him before. All I knew was that there is this dude we employed who won't stop trying to compete with me to see who would get to the gate first to open it.

Just the other day (two days ago actually) I went downstairs in the early hours to wash my vehicle and voila he came out from nowhere to help out cause he knew there would be some form of reward at the end.

I saw that he was very hardworking and industrious. Not depending on just the salary we pay him at the end of the month but also making his day very productive while we are away. He has a small business he does which is an alternative income stream.

He earns enough to put a smile on each member of his family. His salary is no more than 15k and I am quite sure his other stream of income doesn't fetch him very much but still he, his wife and four children are ALWAYS cheerful.

In the evening when I come back, I meet them all gathered in front of their one room security post (which he has made a wonderful home) either praying together or enjoying some quality family time together.

I don't know how he, his wife and children can manage on a monthly income stream that is barely enough to take me through the month on feeding alone and manage to laugh and make the most out of life.

Truly we fret about so many things when only very few things matter in life.

The question that readily comes to my mind is: Despite earning more than this security guard, am I as happy as he is??

incredible!
this is the best write up I've read so far in 2015.
this got me THINKING for minutes.

I'm gonna PONDER on this for a whole long time.
thanks @striktlymi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Pastor Doesn't Want Me To Marry My Fiance / Where Are You Crazy About In Your House? / My Careless Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.