Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? (1035 Views)

Pastor Tunde Bakare To Head EFCC / Tinubu To Head EFCC If APC Wins? / Al Mustapha To Head EFCC . Nominees Pass To Senate For Approval. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Moves: 1:21pm On Dec 17, 2008
Nairalanders:- A thought cross my mind that what will happen IF Yar'Adua Recalls Ribadu to head EFCC?

Am not in anyway saying that there are no other suitable candidates, i think dora akunyili is one. What do we believe will happen; I believe it will be a master stroke for the goverment; and if given adequate support; he will do better and working closely within the remit of the law.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by McKren(m): 1:48pm On Dec 17, 2008
If Mike Aondoakaa is still AGF then . . . . it is simply putting "lipstick on a pig"
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by SkyBlue1: 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2008
Nigeria: Aondoakaa Wins Election Into UN Body
Sunday Ejike Benjamin
17 December 2008
http://allafrica.com/stories/200812170412.html

The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Michael Kaase Aondoakaa (SAN) has been elected into the Governing Council of the United Nations International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) in Rome, Italy.

The International Institute for the Unification of Private Law is an Independent Intergovernmental organization with its seat in the Villa Aldobrandini in Rome. Its purpose is to study needs and methods for modernizing, harmonizing and coordinating private international law, and in particular, commercial law, between States, and to draft international Conventions to address the needs.

Membership to UNIDROIT is restricted to States acceding to the UNIDROIT statute. Its 61 member States are drawn from five continents, and represents a variety of different legal, economic, and political systems as well as different cultural backgrounds.
A statement from the Special Assistant to the Minister (Media)and made valilable to newsmen in Abuja, Onov Tyuulugh said in a keenly contested election held at the Institute on December 11, 2008, and attended by representatives from the 61 member countries, "Aondoakaa emerged as the only African member on the 25 member Governing Council of UNIDROIT."

According to the statement: "Aondoakaa has dedicated his victory to the Rule of Law and claimed that it was a universal acceptance of the effort of President Umaru Musa Yar' adua to enthrone the rule of law in Nigeria. Aondoakaa said he would dedicate himself to the Rule of Law and ensure that Nigeria and indeed, Africa benefit from his membership of the governing Council of UNIDROIT."
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by SkyBlue1: 2:34pm On Dec 17, 2008
Obasanjo has been appointed to resolve conflict in other african nations, don't be surprised if Yar Adua gets invited to work in the UN after his term. If Nigeria cannot or refuses to condemn the actions of failed leaders and their cohorts what else do you expect outsiders to do? When one refuses to treat themselves with respect can there really be any shock when those people are not given respect by others?This circle kwill continue until we face what it is we have been runing from like coward since. Everything else will be a pale and shoddy compromise that will not bring the progress Nigeria seems to magically want without having to work or fight for.

With regards to Ribadu, what will bringing him back actually achieve? While there are many that seem to hate the man, i like the fact that for once there was something in the way of fear in the hearts of corrupt people in power when ribadu was around. Hence the issue not being Ribadu but actually being the fight against corruption, which at present is none existent in Nigeria as far as i can see (unless we are now equating spoken rhetoric without actions as a fight). The fight against corruption while present during Ribadu's tenure, was tainted and not a mwholesome approach at all. However it is understandable that many saw itas progress because you know what? Compared to before when nothing was done at all, it was some sort of progress. Howeever do we want to return to that level of "progress" or do we want to actually for once do the right thing and instill a more impartial and genuine fight against corruption?
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Muza(m): 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2008
the UN is a useless organization now! grin

And they want to give susan rice appointment too,
the woman who served Abiola "tea".
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by cre8tivity(f): 3:15pm On Dec 17, 2008
Nairalanders:- A thought cross my mind that what will happen IF Yar'Adua Recalls Ribadu to head EFCC?

Am not in anyway saying that there are no other suitable candidates, i think dora akunyili is one. What do we believe will happen; I believe it will be a master stroke for the goverment; and if given adequate support; he will do better and working closely within the remit of the law.
this is a sweet dream that could never become a reality. my dear, look, this administration doesn't think ribadu can not do the job, the only issue here is that there were too many complicating issues during the last administration. therefore, for efcc to function smoothly, i do not think this administration has enough confidence in ribadu to continue with the process. in real life or well developed country, this is a great move by the current administration. the big question is: have they picked the right replacement? if the answer is no. then the right thing a responsible administration would do is look for other qualified candidates to replace the new replacement. but going back to ribadu at this stage would be a stupid move that isn't good for the country or ribadu himself. we've got to move forward, nigeria has other great citizens that could fill the position and do a great job.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by McKren(m): 3:35pm On Dec 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

Nigeria: Aondoakaa Wins Election Into UN Body
Sunday Ejike Benjamin
17 December 2008
http://allafrica.com/stories/200812170412.html

The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Michael Kaase Aondoakaa (SAN) has been elected into the Governing Council of the United Nations International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) in Rome, Italy.

The International Institute for the Unification of Private Law is an Independent Intergovernmental organization with its seat in the Villa Aldobrandini in Rome. Its purpose is to study needs and methods for modernizing, harmonizing and coordinating private international law, and in particular, commercial law, between States, and to draft international Conventions to address the needs.

Membership to UNIDROIT is restricted to States acceding to the UNIDROIT statute. Its 61 member States are drawn from five continents, and represents a variety of different legal, economic, and political systems as well as different cultural backgrounds.
A statement from the Special Assistant to the Minister (Media)and made valilable to newsmen in Abuja, Onov Tyuulugh said in a keenly contested election held at the Institute on December 11, 2008, and attended by representatives from the 61 member countries, "Aondoakaa emerged as the only African member on the 25 member Governing Council of UNIDROIT."

According to the statement: "Aondoakaa has dedicated his victory to the Rule of Law and claimed that it was a universal acceptance of the effort of President Umaru Musa Yar' adua to enthrone the rule of law in Nigeria. Aondoakaa said he would dedicate himself to the Rule of Law and ensure that Nigeria and indeed, Africa benefit from his membership of the governing Council of UNIDROIT."

Its nice to know that the attorney general is becoming really desperate. How petty can he be.
Membership of this organisation is credited to the Nigerian state and not Aondoakaa's person. So Nigeria's office of AGF was elected not Mike Aondoakaa. If we change Aondoakaa as AGF tomorrow, I dont think we will loose that seat. My sense is that the new AGF will assume that seat by default.

So this election is in no way a measure of the character of the man Mike Aondoakaa. Even to suggest that it is a measure of the last 18months as the AGF wants to spin it into is an over simplification.

The AGF is getting desperate for recognition.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by cre8tivity(f): 3:46pm On Dec 17, 2008
before we pick sides, i will look for my findings between ribadu and agf and post it again.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by cre8tivity(f): 3:52pm On Dec 17, 2008
uk requested evidence to prosecute ibori from the agf and nigerian minister of justice, mr michael aondoakaa, "as per international rules, this is how it's done". since ribadu was the person that was working on this case, mr michael aondoakaa immediately sent a message to ribadu, requesting for the evidence for review and approval before sending it to uk. ribadu acknowledged the message from the agf but did not respond for many months. uk again sent another message to the agf requesting for this information for the second time. agf again immediately sent a reminder to ribadu. ribadu acknowledged the message for the second time, but still did not release the information to the agf. few months later ribadu sent a message to the agf informing him that he (ribadu) had sent the information directly to uk. agf was very upset and notified the president and others. friends and associates of ribadu also made it clear to ribadu that he shouldn't have disrespected not only the agf and the president, but the sovereignty of nigeria. ribadu did not care and felt firm about his decision to send the information directly to uk.
few weeks later, the judge in uk that was responsible for the case rejected the information ridadu had sent, the judge stated that the information did not have necessary signatures. therefore ibori's case was temporarily dismissed. the judge made it clear that he wasn't going to admit the evidence and proceed with the case without the signature of the agf. agf on the other hand was already very hot about the way ribadu had initially handled the situation. when the news got to nigeria, nigerians did not bother to understand the real story behind the situation, they immediately started to speculate that the agf and the presidency are fighting against "war against corruption in nigeria". this is not right, and instead of all of us being bias or choosing sides with a very little knowledge of the matter, i think we should all slow down and promote doing the right thing properly and always playing by the rules regardless of the matter. i honestly wished ribadu, as a bright and educated individual, could just relax and exhibit intellect, instead of overreacting and taking wrong steps like an illiterate man. this is a country's business we are talking about, but ribadu sees this business as his neighborhood's business and feels that he could handle it any way he wants. this is wrong and also defeats the purpose of fighting for the country. things did not have to go down this way, if he wants his legacy to stay alive for many years, he needs to cool down and go back to reevaluate his homework. not only nigerians are watching, but the entire world is also watching the display of stupidity at it's best.
of course, we all see the scenario differently, but it is clear that ridabu is wrong. just because you're dedicated to fighting for your people and your country doesn't mean you should do so any how or any way. nobody is above the law, we are all nigerian citizens before anything else, the rules should always be followed. nigeria has turned to what it is today because everybody has different rules that they follow.
this is the begining of ribadu's trouble with the fed govtmnt of nigeria.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Muza(m): 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2008
i don't support Ribadu,but i would prefer him a million time to
AGF Mike Anaconda.
That guy is a crook to the bone marrow,If yar adua does not do smthin about him,
he will so much embarrass this govt,thats he will add to the so many embarrassment.

Haba ai u can't compare Anaconda to Ribadu.

Haba creativity we all know that anaconda is the one stalling Ibori's trial.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by cre8tivity(f): 4:15pm On Dec 17, 2008
there shouldn't be a comparison between the 2, but it is fair to see both sides of the story. i honestly think ribadu is ok but what is killing him is: not being able to understand the importance of following rules and regulation during his operations. he needs to understand that if certain steps are not taken during any operation, the outcome usually comes back and bite. if it requires 10 steps to complete a process, it is a standard procedure that all 10 steps must be completely taken and documented.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Moves: 4:32pm On Dec 17, 2008
cre8tivity:

there shouldn't be a comparison between the 2, but it is fair to see both sides of the story. i honestly think ribadu is ok but what is killing him is: not being able to understand the importance of following rules and regulation during his operations. he needs to understand that if certain steps are not taken during any operation, the outcome usually comes back and bite. if it requires 10 steps to complete a process, it is a standard procedure that all 10 steps must be completely taken and documented.
I agree; what was required was not the removal of ribadu; but the appointment of another upright person as AGF; who would have checked the excesses of ribadu.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Naijex: 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2008
Muza:

And they want to give susan rice appointment too,
the woman who served Abiola "tea".

Abacha wanted you to believe that Susan gave Abiola Tea. And guess what? You did.

That's so False.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by lucabrasi(m): 11:04pm On Dec 17, 2008
@poster
if he did then ill finally be a ble to give kudos to yar adua as being a political strategist for once in his life,even thoug i have not contained my disdain for ribadu's rigmarole and using the press to whip up unnecessary sentiments,i believe he ll have learnt his leaasons and will do a better more objective job second time around, the former chinese leader did the exact same thing, he normally rescued people who were being persecuted for crimes against the state and more often than not,they are so grateful that they remained eternally loyal to the man that rescued them
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by IykeD1(m): 11:42pm On Dec 17, 2008

f Mike Aondoakaa is still AGF then . . . . it is simply putting "lipstick on a pig"

Ha, Sarah Palin to the rescue!
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Moves: 10:50am On Dec 19, 2008
The AGF wont be operating with such a free hand if Ribadu was still incharge; infact it would be good; AGF watching Ribadu; Ribadu watching AGF
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by idiopathic: 4:14pm On Dec 19, 2008
Hi Muza and creativity,
It appears you are now having a "buyers remorce" in the person of Madam Waziri.
I don't think some of you appreciate the enormity of Mallam Ribadu's task. Fighting corruption is unquestionable, the most difficult job in present day nigeria. Mallam Ribadu did this work with great zeal and passion and in the process recovered over 5.5 billion niara over 5 years. During his tenure, he was able to instil the fear of looting in our thieving leaders.

A lot of you accused him of not following "the rule of law". We all can see the rule of law in action "fining Igbinedion 3.3 million naira after stealimg over 5 billion naira". Creativity, you need to understand that in Nigeria, the judiciary is still subservient to the executive. Can you name a single individual whom the courts have successfully prosecuted for corruption in nigreria. It was the same courts that gave Odili "perpetual injunction".

Fellow nigerians, if we really want good roads, light, water, modest schools and hospitals, we need to tackle the only obstacle to this. CORRUPTION.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by Muza(m): 4:20pm On Dec 19, 2008
idiopathic:

Hi Muza and creativity,
It appears you are now having a "buyers remorce" in the person of Madam Waziri.
I don't think some of you appreciate the enormity of Mallam Ribadu's task. Fighting corruption is unquestionable, the most difficult job in present day nigeria. Mallam Ribadu did this work with great zeal and passion and in the process recovered over 5.5 billion niara over 5 years. During his tenure, he was able to instil the fear of looting in our thieving leaders.

A lot of you accused him of not following "the rule of law". We all can see the rule of law in action "fining Igbinedion 3.3 million naira after stealimg over 5 billion naira". Creativity, you need to understand that in Nigeria, the judiciary is still subservient to the executive. Can you name a single individual whom the courts have successfully prosecuted for corruption in nigreria. It was the same courts that gave Odili "perpetual injunction".

Fellow nigerians, if we really want good roads, light, water, modest schools and hospitals, we need to tackle the only obstacle to this. CORRUPTION.

True talk
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by cre8tivity(f): 4:52pm On Dec 19, 2008
idiopathic: just because i think doing the right thing is also obeying the rules and regulations doesn't mean i'm supporting the looters. please do no misunderstand my point. if any of the looters is guilty, i hope he or she spends the rest of his or her life in jail. we can not continue like this, the nation can not function well when we have different rules for different people for different situation. all citizens should be treated equally by following the same rules at all time. our problem in nigeria is bigger than ribadu and nigeria as a country is also bigger than ribadu. therefore it makes no sense to compromise our rules and regulations because ribadu happens to be your role model.
an average human being would agree with me. again, i do not support looters in any way, i only support doing the right thing legally and correctly. and this is the only way to be great again.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by IykeD1(m): 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2008

idiopathic: just because i think doing the right thing is also obeying the rules and regulations doesn't mean i'm supporting the looters. please do no misunderstand my point. if any of the looters is guilty, i hope he or she spends the rest of his or her life in jail. we can not continue like this, the nation can not function well when we have different rules for different people for different situation. all citizens should be treated equally by following the same rules at all time. our problem in nigeria is bigger than ribadu and nigeria as a country is also bigger than ribadu. therefore it makes no sense to compromise our rules and regulations because ribadu happens to be your role model.
an average human being would agree with me. again, i do not support looters in any way, i only support doing the right thing legally and correctly. and this is the only to be great again.

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about? I doubt if you yourself know what you are talking about any more. Doing the "right thing" and following
"rules and regulations" is what netted Igbinedion a N3.5million fine versus the billions he has stashed away. Your "rules and regulations" effectively means,
take N5billion from the treasury and we will ask for N5million back. What a way to build an environment that fosters the following of rules and regulations?

The AGF must be very proud of this accomplishment. I suppose Ibori will be next, and he may likely be fined N10million for failing to sign his name on some
important document prior to assuming office. I have said it before and will say it again: Nigeria is a huge joke. Enjoy!
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by BecomeRich: 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2008
I think nigerian have now know, what this govt is about and action speak better than words.

i think nuru should just leave them alone. he would make money in law. He should forget the nigeria police. Client would fill his chambers in nigeria. he should just face his private business and leave Umaru and his people alone.

honestly he would make money from law.
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by cre8tivity(f): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2008
my dear iyked, i'm sorry you did not understand my post. the program that i'm running doesn't permit understanding. kiss
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by IykeD1(m): 11:01pm On Dec 19, 2008

my dear iyked, i'm sorry you did not understand my post. the program that i'm running doesn't permit understanding

I know, even looted funds can only go so far. . .
Re: If Yar'adua Recalls Ribadu To Head Efcc? by maxsiollun: 1:06am On Dec 20, 2008
Unfortunately Ribadu now has so many enemies in the police and among powerful politicians that the forces against him are too much to bring him back to EFCC. His police colleagues are jealous of him and politicians fear that he will expose them if he goes back. A more credible choice would be Lamorde.

(1) (Reply)

Turai Bars Family Members, Ministers Get Visas / Ibb Backs Out Of 2011! / Young Boy Under 30 Runs For Federal House Of Assembly Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.