Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,983 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Grace Without Works Is Dead! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Grace Without Works Is Dead! (3959 Views)

Is Salvation By Faith Alone Or By Faith Plus Works, Is It Even By Faith At All? / . / Faith Without Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2015
Many say that we are saved by grace and that all works are unnecessary...but there are works and there are WORKS...Paul teaches by the Holy Ghost that:

Ephesians 4:21-22
But that isn't what you were taught about Jesus Christ. He is the truth, and you heard about him and learned about him. You were told that your foolish desires will destroy you and THAT YOU MUST GIVE UP YOUR OLD WAY OF LIFE with all its bad habits. (CEV)

Now Paul admonishes that Jesus himself taught the ACT of GIVING UP THE OLD WAY OF LIFE which is a WORK to be done by those who want the life of God (Ephesians 4:18)

GRACE is the free gift of God but as free as it is you must ASK for it before you RECEIVE it. ASKING is the WORK necessary to POSITION you to recieve. GRACE to be HOLY abounds but if you don't SEEK it via PRAYERS and FASTING you won't FIND it. GRACE to find the STRAIT GATE of life is here but if you don't KNOCK the gate won't BE OPENED UNTO YOU!

GRACE is a free GIFT that only hands of FAITH can take hold off but FAITH without WORKS is DEAD!

your comments please!
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Belexy95: 3:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
Nice write up! But i think this is the challenge, we add things on our own. There's no place in d scriptures we were asked to pray and fast to recieve grace from God. Grace has been given freely and is to be recieved by simple faith.

1 Like

Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 6:19pm On Jan 12, 2015
Belexy95:
Nice write up! But i think this is the challenge, we add things on our own. There's no place in d scriptures we were asked to pray and fast to recieve grace from God. Grace has been given freely and is to be recieved by simple faith.

then how do you explain the words James:

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

So no works, no faith...no faith no grace...

Works borne out of faith does not earn you grace but it positions you to get grace...grace is free food but works is taking it and eating.grace does not put the food in your mouth rather you have to do that yourself!

Grace gave the death and resurrection of Christ, faith gave belief and WORKS gave confession to salvation...Grace gave the gifts of the HolyGhost, Faith gave belief in the existence of gifts and it receipt as part of God's promise, WORKS gave prayer and fasting...

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

If you like BELIEVE ALL YOU WANT...if you don't ASK you'll NEVER RECIEVE!
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Goshen360(m): 6:33pm On Jan 12, 2015
Put it this way,

I give you a FREE GIFT of a brand new car and turn around to tell you you will pay me $300 monthly....

FREELY GIFT. ...for $300 every month? grin grin grin
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2015
^^

so because of grace, we should not worry about sin, let's go and kill, lie, fornicate, cheat etc, wow !!

Brother, please back down from this false gospel of cheap grace.

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Goshen360(m): 6:47pm On Jan 12, 2015
^^^

How shall we who are DEAD to sin....live in it any longer! !!. It's only a sin conscious person (instead of sin cautious?) that will always see sin in the gospel of grace and sees sin in everything a christian does.

Far from it, I do not use the preaching of God's grace as though it's meant to cover immorality but God's grace is bigger than any man.

By the way, Grace didn't come cheap, someone already paid for it so I don't have to pay nothing anymore. ... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Belexy95: 6:56pm On Jan 12, 2015
@OP, U quoted james out of context, study carefully and u ll get d message he passed across. There's a place for prayer and fastings, its not necessary to fast for anything grace covered. If God didnt demand mankind fasting to be saved but a simple act of faith in christ. For by grace are u saved thro faith... Lets learn to stop where d scriptures stop and not add our thought to it.
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 7:01pm On Jan 12, 2015
Goshen360:
Put it this way,

I give you a FREE GIFT of a brand new car and turn around to tell you you will pay me $300 monthly....

That's a transaction...but if i do not know how to drive and cannot hire a driver can i avail myself of the gift? Wouldn't it be an insult on your person if after giving me the gift i require that you be my driver!?
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 7:15pm On Jan 12, 2015
Belexy95:
@OP, U quoted james out of context, study carefully and u ll get d message he passed across. There's a place for prayer and fastings, its not necessary to fast for anything grace covered. If God didnt demand mankind fasting to be saved but a simple act of faith in christ. For by grace are u saved thro faith... Lets learn to stop where d scriptures stop and not add our thought to it.

bro you wan argue bible ni? Abi na ma papa right am!?

Please read your bible and ask for revelation... Jesus gave the disciples power over all the powers of the enemy according to:

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Yet the disciples could not cast an evil spirit and when they came to Jesus with the question why they couldn't Jesus told them this kind goes not out but by prayer and fasting...

Matthew 17:15-16, 19-20, 21

Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him... Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Jesus suggested that if they had prayed and fasted they would have been positioned to flush out the demon!

Grace for power existed but the disciples were not positioned to avail it!

Now some people would like to correct Jesus
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 7:30pm On Jan 12, 2015
Goshen360:
^^^

How shall we who are DEAD to sin....live in it any longer! !!. It's only a sin conscious person (instead of sin cautious?) that will always see sin in the gospel of grace and sees sin in everything a christian does.

Far from it, I do not use the preaching of God's grace as though it's meant to cover immorality but God's grace is bigger than any man.

By the way, Grace didn't come cheap, someone already paid for it so I don't have to pay nothing anymore. ... cheesy

Grace is free but you must avail yourself and position yourself to get it...Jesus' healing power was the GRACE, the centurion seeking Jesus was the WORK, the healing power of Jesus was GRACE the opening of the roof and lowering of the man with palsy was the WORK, the healing virtue of Jesus was the GRACE the touching of the hem of Jesus' garment by the sick woman was the WORK...the examples are ENDLESS...unless you just want to ARGUE OVER THE OBVIOUS!
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by shdemidemi(m): 8:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
efficiencie:

Grace is free but you must avail yourself and position yourself to get it...Jesus' healing power was the GRACE, the centurion seeking Jesus was the WORK, the healing power of Jesus was GRACE the opening of the roof and lowering of the man with palsy was the WORK, the healing virtue of Jesus was the GRACE the touching of the hem of Jesus' garment by the sick woman was the WORK...the examples are ENDLESS...unless you just want to ARGUE OVER THE OBVIOUS!

What do I need to do today to avail myself to get this free grace?
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by christemmbassey(m): 8:27pm On Jan 12, 2015
'Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,....... 6. Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ ous sa8iour. Titus 3:5-6. Pls consider also Rm 5:15
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by christemmbassey(m): 8:48pm On Jan 12, 2015
Belexy95:
my bros, its terible what some folks see in dier bibles o. GAL 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the WORKS of the law, but by faith of Jesus Christ.......21 I do not frustrate the grace of God, for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain''. Sm1, pls explain this!
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by MostHigh: 8:48pm On Jan 12, 2015
Goshen360:
^^^

Liar Liar. The masters words are carry your cross and follow, so you obviously have something to pay.

No man pays for another man's sin, all shall bear the consequences of their actions hence the Armagedion or judgement.

To escape this impending judgement one is to live as he lives hence the calling to make the similar sacrifice.

shdemidemi , yourself and all your desciples have Chosen to distort what it means to follow the master.

If you like you can allegorize, or worse still when it suits you you can spiritualise, but the literal application will eternally apply.

Lawlessness is death.
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by christemmbassey(m): 8:54pm On Jan 12, 2015
'' you were bought with a price''
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by GooseBaba: 9:34pm On Jan 12, 2015
Goshen360:
Put it this way,

Lmao..!! Too funny...

The question now is, who is reading the fine print upside down... Lol.. Bible thumpers i hail una..!
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by johnw74: 6:08am On Jan 13, 2015
Because we are saved, we do the good works that God leads us to do. For me it has been mainly improvements in myself.
We don't continue in sin if we are saved, when we do occasionally sin because we are weak, we confess our sin to God and are forgiven it.
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2015
Effieciencie

Lets say I gave you a million naira for something you did, and you met a friend later who asked you whether you received the money freely or not, what would you say?
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 12:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
johnw74:
Because we are saved, we do the good works that God leads us to do. For me it has been mainly improvements in myself.
We don't continue in sin if we are saved, when we do occasionally sin because we are weak, we confess our sin to God and are forgiven it.

" The life you live now is not yours... You are actually dead since when you were saved"

"...and he who is dead is free from sin"
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 12:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
frosbel:
^^

so because of grace, we should not worry about sin, let's go and kill, lie, fornicate, cheat etc, wow !!

Brother, please back down from this false gospel of cheap grace.

smiley

"Shall we go on sinning because we are not under the law but under grace? God forbid!"

The reality is however...

"Sin shall have no dominion over you because you are not under the law but under grace"

Do you understand that Remember

"By the law is the knowledge of sin" and

"where there is no law; there is no sin"

Tell me then, how can you be a sinner when your not under the law?

How can I be accused of beating my child when I'm not under American law?

What does Rom 6:15 mean then?

"ALL THINGS ARE ALLOWED, BUT NOT ALL THINGS ARE PROFITABLE" 1 Cor 10:23

Those times grin
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 1:04pm On Jan 13, 2015
efficiencie:

What do you understand by this?

"you were made alive with Christ even when you were dead in trangressionsit is by grace you've been saved." Eph 2:5
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2015
MostHigh

You mean Jesus didn't pay for your sins??

" For He has made him who knew no sin to be sin for us: that we might become the righteousness of God in him " 2 Cor 5:21 smiley
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 1:13pm On Jan 13, 2015
efficiencie:

That's a transaction...but if i do not know how to drive and cannot hire a driver can i avail myself of the gift? Wouldn't it be an insult on your person if after giving me the gift i require that you be my driver!?

Lool.. So you are now " the author and finisher of your faith " smiley
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by MostHigh: 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2015
Pr0ton:
MostHigh

You mean Jesus didn't pay for your sins??

" For He has made him who knew no sin to be sin for us: that we might become the righteousness of God in him " 2 Cor 5:21 smiley

The payment involves you playing your part as well.

Live as he lives 1 John chapter 2
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 2:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
MostHigh:

The payment involves you playing your part as well.

Live as he lives 1 John chapter 2

Reading that in context is not a requirement of salvation. It's just a counsel on how Christian life should be.
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Hiswordxray(m): 4:53pm On Jan 13, 2015
There are two ways you can try to duplicate an orange:
1). Use the available materials and knowledge to build and orange (You would end up with something that looks like an but not an orange )

2). Search for the seed, plant it, and watch it grow.

The two ways requires some form of effort but one is more frustrating.
The first is when you try to be holy like God with your good works (human effort)

The second requires faith but you still have to put your effort in planting the seed and taking care of it until it grow and bear fruits (effort of faith.
The first requires works of righteousness while the second involves works of faith -- you apply works but you have faith in God to make it grow.

Yes grace without works is no grace because grace is works but not works of righteousness/the law but works of faith.

By faith you planted the seed believing that it will grow
By faith you nurture the plant and you didn't force it to grow by your effort but you believe in God to make it grow. Yes faith also requires works.

You can't make yourself live like Jesus live but you can plant his life (the living word of God) and patiently watch it grow and watch yourself become like him.
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Pr0ton: 5:54pm On Jan 13, 2015
Hiswordxray

Grace nulifies any works of yours...

" And if it is by grace then it is no more of works; otherwise grace is no more grace " Rom 11:6

The very planting of seed itself is not done by you, but by God, because it was

" while you were yet sinners, Christ died for you "

and it was

" while you were still dead in trangression that he made you alive with Christ " Eph 2:5 And that's grace! smiley

You were DEAD IN SINS. YOU COULD DO NOTHING TO GET YOUR SALVATION. GOD CHOSE TO SAVIOUR YOU...
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by malvisguy212: 6:05pm On Jan 13, 2015
If one rejects the doctrine of grace, he
must be able to answer the following
questions from Paul:
Why did Messiah Jesus die? As Paul
said, "I do not nullify the grace of God;
for if righteousness comes through the
Law, then Christ died needlessly." ( Galatians 2:21)

The next question is likewise from Paul.
"This is the only thing I want to find out
from you: did you receive the Spirit by
the works of the Law, or by hearing
with faith?" ( Galatians 3:2)

Paul had a knack for getting to the
point of the gospel. The third question
is also from Paul. "Are you so foolish?
Having begun by the Spirit, are you
now being perfected by the
FLASH?" ( Galatians 3:3)

Many who reject the gospel of grace do
so because they think that they can
please God on the basis of their own
works of the flesh. This amounts to
simple pride, which God abhors.
Included below are some of the things
the Lord has led me to, that all might
accept His grace and trust Him with our
sanctification.However grace is giving to thoes who genuinely repent of there sin.

The problem for us is that we are not
judged merely on the basis of our deeds, but on the basis of our hearts and desires. This is where we all fail. I know, because since becoming a Christian 8 years ago, the Spirit has been convicting me of my wrong motives and attitudes. I know that I am not worthy to stand in the presence of God on my own merit. I need a Savior to redeem me and intercede for my sins, and I need the Holy Spirit to lead and guide me into His righteousness. Many people think that we earn merit
with God by performing good works.
However, the Bible says we are all
unworthy and we will not see heaven on
the basis of our "good" works.

In conclusion, all followers of Jesus
should seek His righteousness. However, if we attempt to do it by our own power and strength, we try to make ourselves equal to God. It is only a reliance on the Holy Spirit that can keep us on a righteous path. A good summary of my main point is from the Psalms:

" Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And do not lean on your own
understanding. In all your ways
acknowledge Him, And He will make
your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 6:10pm On Jan 13, 2015
Pr0ton:
Effieciencie

Lets say I gave you a million naira for something you did, and you met a friend later who asked you whether you received the money freely or not, what would you say?

What's the circumstance surrouding the payment!? If that pay is the standard for what I do then it's not a gift but if that pay is an amount that i can never earn but yet you give it for what i do then it's more of a gift than a pay ...but yet this is not what i mean by GRACE! GRACE is a gift that can never, never, never be earned NO MATTER HOW GOOD, HOLY OR NICE you become but what i'm saying is that YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR HANDS ALL TIED UP AND EXPECT TO RECIEVE THE GIFT FROM GOD WITH THE SAME HANDS ...this is simple LOGIC! I wonder why many are struggling to understand this!

Even if one of the four Cherubims preached Jesus to you, if you fail TO ACCEPT and QUIT DEBATING (Some would even argue with angels if permitted) you'll never be GRACED to receive SALVATION...

TO ACCEPT and QUIT DEBATING are ACTIONS...WORKS...
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 6:14pm On Jan 13, 2015
Pr0ton:

What do you understand by this?

"you were made alive with Christ even when you were dead in trangressionsit is by grace you've been saved." Eph 2:5

Yes we are SAVED by GRACE... but GRACE is by FAITH and FAITH without WORKS is DEAD... The simple law of transitivity hence states: GRACE without WORKS is DEAD

2 Likes

Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by efficiencie(m): 6:18pm On Jan 13, 2015
Hiswordxray:
There are two ways you can try to duplicate an orange:
1). Use the available materials and knowledge to build and orange (You would end up with something that looks like an but not an orange )

2). Search for the seed, plant it, and watch it grow.

The two ways requires some form of effort but one is more frustrating.
The first is when you try to be holy like God with your good works (human effort)

The second requires faith but you still have to put your effort in planting the seed and taking care of it until it grow and bear fruits (effort of faith.
The first requires works of righteousness while the second involves works of faith -- you apply works but you have faith in God to make it grow.

Yes grace without works is no grace because grace is works but not works of righteousness/the law but works of faith.

By faith you planted the seed believing that it will grow
By faith you nurture the plant and you didn't force it to grow by your effort but you believe in God to make it grow. Yes faith also requires works.

You can't make yourself live like Jesus live but you can plant his life (the living word of God) and patiently watch it grow and watch yourself become like him.
Re: Grace Without Works Is Dead! by Hiswordxray(m): 6:56pm On Jan 13, 2015
Pr0ton:
Hiswordxray

Grace nulifies any works of yours...

" And if it is by grace then it is no more of works; otherwise grace is no more grace " Rom 11:6

The very planting of seed itself is not done by you, but by God, because it was

" while you were yet sinners, Christ died for you "

and it was

" while you were still dead in trangression that he made you alive with Christ " Eph 2:5 And that's grace! smiley

You were DEAD IN SINS. YOU COULD DO NOTHING TO GET YOUR SALVATION. GOD CHOSE TO SAVIOUR YOU...
When I use the term "planting seed" I am not talking about Jesus death but your effort in feeding on the life of God. Seed has life and in Jesus parable of the sower he explained the the "seed is the word" and the ground is the heart.

But planting the seed is not enough, one have to nurture it as one wait patiently for God to make it grow. This mean we more put effort in trying to express the life of God in us and even though we fail or may not do it well we should not give up but patiently waiting for the righteousness God has promised us.
Paul put it this way "For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith." (Gal 5:5)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In / Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? / Why I’m Crazy And Will Never  Be Like My Mother  – Bishop Oyedepo’s Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.