Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** (3493 Views)

5 Causes Of 'Paper-Bag' Marriage In Nigerian Societies / The Agony Of A Nigerian Who Married A Blind White Lady Because Of Paper / My Sister Has Paper Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 3:14pm On Jan 13, 2015
I just wonder why most people from the southern parts of Nigeria, especially, among the Urhobos, Isokos and Ijaws engage in paper-bag marriage. For those wondering what paper-bag marriage means...it means co-habitation between a man and a woman; not legally married.

It is so annoying to see a man and a woman living together, with up to 4 kids! In the end, you will find out that the woman's dowry has not been paid! I once attended a marriage ceremony where I discovered that the couple's first issue was already graduating from the university!

Am not trying to paint any tribe bad, but it is very common among the above-mentioned ethnic groups. What am asking: is this part of the African culture? Why have these people so degraded themselves to this extent? The elders are there...they see how their culture is derailed, yet they do nothing about it. I still remember my former landlady, telling on a fateful day, that what am I waiting for? That I should just impregnate my girl and start a family! From that day, I started losing my respect for her!

In the eastern part of Nigeria, trash like this doesn't happen. Only a wayward Igbo girl would get pregnant for a man and start a family with him. In the Igbo culture, such is forbidden!!! Alu!!! Abomination.

Pls, what's your take on this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
incase grin
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Ewuro4: 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2015
Hehe of course you already painted them blood red sef.. Must EVERYBODY marry culturally? Gazillion 'what ifs' comes to mind.

So in your neck of the woods; You lose respect for your wife and mother of your children because she refused to bring you Palm wine

One mans meat is another's pioson ... The world is revolving... Conforming people to societal rules ain't gonna work buddy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by krystal101(f): 4:36pm On Jan 13, 2015
Mr paper bag, pele oooo. Go marry igbo na wahala dey there?
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by bukatyne(f): 4:48pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:
I just wonder why most people from the southern parts of Nigeria, especially, among the Urhobos, Isokos and Ijaws engage in paper-bag marriage. For those wondering what paper-bag marriage means...it means co-habitation between a man and a woman; not legally married.

It is so annoying to see a man and a woman living together, with up to 4 kids! In the end, you will find out that the woman's dowry has not been paid! I once attended a marriage ceremony where I discovered that the couple's first issue was already graduating from the university!

Am not trying to paint any tribe bad, but it is very common among the above-mentioned ethnic groups. What am asking: is this part of the African culture? Why have these people so degraded themselves to this extent? The elders are there...they see how their culture is derailed, yet they do nothing about it. I still remember my former landlady, telling on a fateful day, that what am I waiting for? That I should just impregnate my girl and start a family! From that day, I started losing my respect for her!

In the eastern part of Nigeria, trash like this doesn't happen. Only a wayward Igbo girl would get pregnant for a man and start a family with him. In the Igbo culture, such is forbidden!!! Alu!!! Abomination.

Religion aside,

Wedding ceremony does not make a marriage last.

2 Likes

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by otobrisesarah(f): 4:50pm On Jan 13, 2015
We are from solomon's generation. undecided
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 5:16pm On Jan 13, 2015
bukatyne:

Religion aside,

Wedding ceremony does not make a marriage last.

Are u not an African? Don't u have culture?
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 5:19pm On Jan 13, 2015
krystal101:
Mr paper bag, pele oooo. Go marry igbo na wahala dey there?

Why u dey vex na?
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 5:22pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ewuro4:
Hehe of course you already painted them blood red sef.. Must EVERYBODY marry culturally? Gazillion 'what ifs' comes to mind.

So in your neck of the woods; You lose respect for your wife and mother of your children because she refused to bring you Palm wine

One mans meat is another's pioson ... The world is revolving... Conforming people to societal rules ain't gonna work buddy.

Shuo! Are you among them?
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jan 13, 2015
@op, u didn't conduct ur survey well.
Easterners do cohabit as well.
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by bukatyne(f): 5:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:

Are u not an African? Don't u have culture?

I am

Culture which is....

Wedding or lack of does not make a home.

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Ewuro4: 5:55pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:

Shuo! Are you among them?

How does that take concern you? undecided

What if their parents don't approve the Union and they went to court instead?
What if the husband wasn't financially buoyant?
What if....

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by krystal101(f): 6:49pm On Jan 13, 2015
God bless you my sister.
This OP na those kind guests wey dey fight for rice for people wedding.
Go call police we from southern part of Nigeria no dey do wedding

Ewuro4:

How does that take concern you? undecided

What if their parents don't approve the Union and they went to court instead?
What if the husband wasn't financially buoyant?
What if....

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Ewuro4: 6:54pm On Jan 13, 2015
krystal101:
God bless you my sister.

grin grin and will spread his bare hands when the couples ask him for money after the lavish wedding.

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by krystal101(f): 6:59pm On Jan 13, 2015
Its his kind that hustles for food, drinks & souvenirs...
How would you be comparing this OP, sebi I've asked to marry igbo. Wahala no dey their

Ewuro4:

grin grin and will spread his bare hands when the couples ask him for money after the lavish wedding.

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by krystal101(f): 7:00pm On Jan 13, 2015
Op no vex ooooo, my children dey sleep. So I dey use ur thread unwind

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Ewuro4: 7:04pm On Jan 13, 2015
krystal101:
Op no vex ooooo, my children dey sleep. So I dey use ur thread unwind

cheesy grin grin Lobatan.

Different characters on this Forum eh cheesy
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by nefertiitii: 7:41pm On Jan 13, 2015
Kinna true tho bt nt entirely..
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by starlingbawa(m): 8:30pm On Jan 13, 2015
moca:
@op, u didn't conduct ur survey well.
Easterners do cohabit as well.

and I know of 3 separate Igbo couples living together and with children who haven't tied the knot. So what is the OP saying trying to paint his beloved Igbo tribe in good light to the detriment of the south-south tribes.

Poorly conducted survey if you ask me and rightly so!!!

2 Likes

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 10:52pm On Jan 13, 2015
starlingbawa:

and I know of 3 separate Igbo couples living together and with children who haven't tied the knot. So what is the OP saying trying to paint his beloved Igbo tribe in good light to the detriment of the south-south tribes.

Poorly conducted survey if you ask me and rightly so!!!

How common is it for you to see the Igbos co-habit? Very rare! But it is very common among southerners. So, out of all the Igbo peeps u know, only 3 cohabit? I know dozens of southerners that do that! Especially, the Urhobos!

2 Likes

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by starlingbawa(m): 10:54pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:

How common is it for you to see the Igbos co-habit? Very rare! But it is very common among southerners.

The bottom line's it still does happen. I know so because I have seen it for real!!!

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 10:57pm On Jan 13, 2015
starlingbawa:

The bottom line's it still does happen. I know so because I have seen it for real!!!

Any Igbo that does that is lost! It is forbidden in Igbo societies, though normal in the south.

2 Likes

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by starlingbawa(m): 11:00pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:

Any Igbo that does that is lost! It is forbidden in Igbo societies, though normal in the south.

Still I ve seen it happen and on 3 separate occasions too. I'm not an igbo person but I 'STRONGLY' disagree with you that igbo folks doing that are lost!!!
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by cococandy(f): 11:11pm On Jan 13, 2015
OP face your work
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Kerosene: 11:47pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:

guy come oh! Wetin concern u for other ppl life?
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Kerosene: 11:48pm On Jan 13, 2015
Rapmoney:

guy come oh! Wetin concern u for other ppl life? If u dey annoyed or annoying for other ppl life, set urself on fire make we know say u dey truly vex.
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 14, 2015
una own na nylon bag marriage
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 9:34am On Jan 14, 2015
Kerosene:
guy come oh! Wetin concern u for other ppl life? If u dey annoyed or annoying for other ppl life, set urself on fire make we know say u dey truly vex.

O nigga, leave me make I fill my glass, me and you no dey for the same class... cheesy
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 9:37am On Jan 14, 2015
correctguy0900:
una own na nylon bag marriage

Na u wan come try me for here, my guygrin
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 14, 2015
Rapmoney:

Na u wan come try me for here, my guygrin

no worry, I don pack

1 Like

Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 10:25am On Jan 14, 2015
krystal101:
God bless you my sister.

E be like say u be Urhobo babe o! Why u just dey vex for me sef?
Re: ***Southern Nigeria And Paper-Bag Marriage*** by Rapmoney(m): 10:28am On Jan 14, 2015
cococandy:
OP face your work

Cococandy, can't I express myself again? We are all entitled to our diverse opinions o!

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Story – My Girlfriend Donated A Kidney To Me, But I Don’t Love Her Anymore – / You are Exposing Yourself To Erectile Dysfunction If You Do These Things / Please Save A Soul:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.