Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? (3436 Views)

Zimbabwe More Developed Than Nigeria – Mugabe / Section 181 Of Nigeria Constitution: Death Of Governor Before Oath Of Office / Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2015
The flagrant display of haughtiness put up by the Presidential candidate of APC, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (Rtd), towards the position of Nigeria's constitution on contestants for the post of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a slap on our collective responsibility to know those who seek to govern us. The minimum was a School Leaving Certificate, and up to now Buhari is yet to tender the original certificate he claimed to have. Is this the kind of arrogant person you want?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by IGBOSON1: 11:10pm On Jan 20, 2015
Pretty much! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by abes(m): 11:12pm On Jan 20, 2015
Please quote the part of the constitution you are referring to.

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by cjrane: 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2015
[size=16pt]Of course Buhari is above the law and Nigeria can't do a damned thing about it.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Kororugged: 11:15pm On Jan 20, 2015
Papa just wait till 9am tomorrow

You are too old for this sort of pettiness

4 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by abes(m): 11:16pm On Jan 20, 2015
Can someone quote the part of the constitution?
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 20, 2015
You cry-babies are despicable lots

File a suit against Buhari and let the courts interprete that part of the constitution

Instead of lowlifers weeping like a woman who was alleged to have killed her husband

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Skillz02(m): 11:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
[email]Even if GMB present water board bill as his certificate he still have my vote,,,he is far better than that Zoologist [/email]

2 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by abes(m): 11:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
Still waiting for someone to quote the part of the constitution o.
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Janedoe26(f): 11:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
You all should read section 318 (definition section) of the 1999 constitution as amended and let us hear word. The final say lies with INEC. If they are satisfied, that settles it.
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by donphilopus: 11:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
Below is what Section 131 of the Nigerian Constitution states:

131. A person shall be qualified for election to the office of the President if -

(a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth;
(b) he has attained the age of forty years;

(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and

(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

(a) Buhari is a Nigerian Citizen.

(b) He's attained the age of seventy two years. That means he's more than the required 40yrs.

(c) He's a member of the APC and he's sponsored by APC.

(d) He has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

Was it stated that a Candidate must submit his/her Educational qualification/certificate before s/he can be eligible for an election?!

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Bruteforce1o1: 11:24pm On Jan 20, 2015
[s]
tomakint:
The flagrant display of haughtiness put up by the Presidential candidate of APC, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (Rtd), towards the position of Nigeria's constitution on contestants for the post of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a slap on our collective responsibility to know those who seek to govern us. The minimum was a School Leaving Certificate, and up to now Buhari is yet to tender the original certificate he claimed to have. Is this the kind of arrogant person you want?
[/s]

Trash....

6 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 20, 2015
Even if Buhari presents his drivers' license,I must vote for him.

Haters should go dive into the Java sea.

3 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by kestolove95(m): 11:34pm On Jan 20, 2015
JackBaueress1:
Even if Buhari presents his drivers' license,I must vote for him.

Haters should go dive into the Java sea.
ur post alone has made me to fall in love wit u..infact. I will marry u
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 11:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
donphilopus:
Below is what Section 131
(a) Buhari is a Nigerian Citizen.
(b) He's attained the age of seventy two years. That means he's more than the required 40yrs.
(c) He's a member of the APC and he's sponsored by APC.
(d) He has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.
Was it stated that a Candidate must submit his/her Educational qualification/certificate before s/he can be eligible?
You are not smart with your submission

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by donphilopus: 11:42pm On Jan 20, 2015
tomakint:

I don't want you to tell me the level of my smartness with my submission. Just tell me, was it stated there that he must submit his School Cert before he becomes eligible for an Election?!

4 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Kororugged: 11:48pm On Jan 20, 2015
tomakint:

Tomakint, you no get 1 sense remain for dat your big head

cheesy cheesy

When persin dey contest 4 times for election, una no complain, now u dey open dat your mouth dey ask for certificate wey u sef no get.

All I can see here is FEAR and DESPERATION. Remember it is now just 19 days to election, Nigerians are watching. This is not 2011. New GAME in town grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 11:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
Buhari is not yet the President and he is this arrogant what would become of him if invited to the hallow chamber to defend maybe some of his policies before Nigerians as President. Cc: samx4real, onatisi, biafranqueen, babyosisi, iamodenigbo1, gramci, stebell, meforyou1, datolee, ichidodo, iconize, aljharem, Truckpusher, Phockphockman, Juliaan, brokenTV, aryzgreat, shizzle11, chukwudi44, longeria, Idumuose, Papabrowne, taharqa, LeOstrich, mogidi, Descartes, collynzo9, pointB, Sincere9gerian, etc

2 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
Skillz02:
[email]Even if GMB present water board bill as his certificate he still have my vote,,,he is far better than that Zoologist [/email]
that, he doesn't even have.
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by yuio33: 11:54pm On Jan 20, 2015
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Kororugged: 11:54pm On Jan 20, 2015
tomakint:
[s]Buhari is not yet the President and he is this arrogant what would become of him if invited to the hallow chamber to defend maybe some of his policies before Nigerians as President. Cc: samx4real, onatisi, biafranqueen, babyosisi, iamodenigbo1, gramci, stebell, meforyou1, datolee, ichidodo, iconize, aljharem, Truckpusher, Phockphockman, Juliaan, brokenTV, aryzgreat, shizzle11, chukwudi44, longeria, Idumuose, Papabrowne, taharqa, LeOstrich, mogidi, Descartes, collynzo9, pointB, Sincere9gerian, etc[/s]

Stop asking for help! Be a man for once and defend your stance

Nigerians have made up their mind. Go and sleep so that you can see how the Peoples General will embarrass you tomorrow- 9 am SHARP!!

tongue tongue

3 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 11:56pm On Jan 20, 2015
donphilopus:

I don't want you to tell me the level of my smartness with my submission. Just tell me, was it stated there that he must submit his School Cert before he becomes eligible for an Election?!
Just listen to yourself and re-read what you put up there if it makes sense to u.....perhaps he held on to his credentials when he wanted to join the Army undecided how come he referred Nigerians to the Military Authorities for copies of his documents. You're not smart
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by donphilopus: 11:59pm On Jan 20, 2015
tomakint:

Just listen to yourself and re-read what you put up there if it makes sense to u.....perhaps he held on to his credentials when he wanted to join the Army undecided how come he referred Nigerians to the Military Authorities for copies of his documents. You're not smart

You're just too dull. I asked you just a question and you've been behaving like GEJ. Just tell me if it was stated in the Constitution that a Candidate must submit his School Cert.

4 Likes

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by abes(m): 12:05am On Jan 21, 2015
"School Certificate or its equivalent" means

(a) a Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent, or Grade II Teacher’s Certificate, the City and Guilds Certificate; or

(b) education up to Secondary School Certificate level; or

(c) Primary Six School Leaving Certificate or its equivalent and -

(i) service in the public or private sector in the Federation in any capacity acceptable to the Independent National Electoral Commission for a minimum of ten years, and

(ii) attendance at courses and training in such institutions as may be acceptable to the Independent National Electoral Commission for periods totalling up to a minimum of one year, and

(iii) the ability to read, write, understand and communicate in the English language to the satisfaction of the Independent National Electoral Commission, and

(d) any other qualification acceptable by the Independent National Electoral Commission

The part quoted above is from Section 318(1) of the Constitution.

tomakint, I believe you can read and write. What do you have to say about the interpretation of the term "School Certificate or its equivalent" according to the constitution? Please be civil.

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by citizenY(m): 12:05am On Jan 21, 2015
tomakint:

Your comprehension skills must be either too low or in default mode. Brush those skills and listen to the press briefing by the last army briefing on this cerificate saga.

If your partisanship will allow you , good.

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 12:05am On Jan 21, 2015
donphilopus:

You're just too dull. I asked you just a question and you've been behaving like GEJ. Just tell me if it was stated in the Constitution that a Candidate must submit his School Cert.
MUMUni, for the fact that 'submission' was not indicated in the constitution, are we to take an oral declaration of his credentials as evidence Alhaji Mumuni undecided *still not smart*

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 12:10am On Jan 21, 2015
abes:

The part quoted above is from Section 318(1) of the Constitution.

tomakint, I believe you can read and write. What do you have to say about the interpretation of the term "School Certificate or its equivalent" according to the constitution? Please be civil.
Are you for real? Which of the above stated credential has he tendered before INEC?

1 Like

Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by abes(m): 12:13am On Jan 21, 2015
tomakint:

Are you for real? Which of the above stated credential has he tendered before INEC?

Did INEC tell you he is not qualified?
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by donphilopus: 12:16am On Jan 21, 2015
tomakint:

MUMUni, for the fact that 'submission' was not indicated in the constitution, are we to take an oral declaration of his credentials as evidence Alhaji Mumuni undecided *still not smart*

If you're not comfortable with his oral or written declaration, then you sue him to Court.
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by Akainzo(m): 12:26am On Jan 21, 2015
Here is the FULL TEXT of the Nigerian Army press statement.

Full text of Olaleye’s statement on the issue reads:

“I will begin with the Major General Muhammadu Buhari certificate controversy. Gentlemen, let me state clearly that the Nigerian Army holds the retired senior officer in very high esteem and respect and would not be a party to any controversy surrounding his eligibility for any political office. Suffice to state that Major General Buhari rose steadily to the enviable rank of Major General before becoming the Head of State of our dear country in December 1983.

“The media hype on retired Major General Muhammadu Buhari’s credentials as well as the numerous requests made by individuals and corporate bodies to the Nigerian Army on this issue have necessitated that we provide the facts as contained in the retired senior officer’s service record. Records available indicate that Major General M Buhari applied to join the military as a Form Six student of the Provincial Secondary School, Katsina on October 18, 1961.

“His application was duly endorsed by the Principal of the school, who also wrote a report on him and recommended him to be suitable for military commission. It is a practice in the NA that before candidates are shortlisted for commissioning into the officers’ cadre of the Service, the Selection Board verifies the original copies of credentials that are presented. However, there is no available record to show that this process was followed in the 1960s.

“Nevertheless, the entry made on the NA Form 199A at the point of documentation after commission as an officer indicated that the former head of state obtained the West African School Certificate (WASC) in 1961 with credits in relevant subjects: English Language, Geography, History, Health Science, Hausa and a pass in English Literature. However, neither the original copy, Certified True Copy (CTC) nor statement of result of Major General Muhammadu Buhari’s WASC result is in his personal file.

“I hope this explanation will put to rest the raging controversy surrounding the secondary school credentials of Major General Mohammed Buhari as it affects the Nigerian Army.”

What in that statement implies that Buhari is not educated up to Secondary School Certificate level?
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by tomakint: 12:26am On Jan 21, 2015
abes:

Did INEC tell you he is not qualified?
Mr Man, INEC is not an interpreter of the law, INEC remains a neutral umpire in this game and if Buhari refuses to co-operate he may end up campaigning in one of the Federal Courts........#BuhariMustShowUsHisCertificate# that's all
Re: Is Buhari Bigger Than Nigeria's Constitution? by reborn1: 12:31am On Jan 21, 2015
tomakint:
Buhari is not yet the President and he is this arrogant what would become of him if invited to the hallow chamber to defend maybe some of his policies before Nigerians as President. Cc: samx4real, onatisi, biafranqueen, babyosisi, iamodenigbo1, gramci, stebell, meforyou1, datolee, ichidodo, iconize, aljharem, Truckpusher, Phockphockman, Juliaan, brokenTV, aryzgreat, shizzle11, chukwudi44, longeria, Idumuose, Papabrowne, taharqa, LeOstrich, mogidi, Descartes, collynzo9, pointB, Sincere9gerian, etc

Calling for help as usual. You are not man enough, i laugh at people that take you serious. Lolzzz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Military Strength Of The Emperor Of The Country Of Western Nigeria / DSS Should Keep A Tab On Vanguard Newspaper / How True Is This Facts From Fani Kayode About The Northerners?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.