Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,950 members, 7,956,588 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! (1013 Views)

Last Facebook Post Of Soldier Who Was Killed By Boko Haram (picture) / Mosque Used By Boko Haram In Kogi Destroyed (Photos) / Elyon Ntiro Elijah Abducted In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by pacesetter939: 11:22pm On Jan 21, 2015
Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram

“A special operation led by Cameroonian armed forces along with security services of friendly nations succeeded this night (Tuesday) in freeing Nitsch Eberhard Robert, a German citizen abducted in Nigeria in July 2014 by the Boko Haram sect,” the Cameroon presidency said in a statement. A spokesman for the German foreign ministry confirmed the man’s release, adding that he was now in Cameroon’s capital Yaounde.

Cameroon said Wednesday its forces have freed a German hostage kidnapped six months ago in Nigeria by Boko Haram, as African leaders appealed to the United Nations for support in fighting the Islamist militants.

“A special operation led by Cameroonian armed forces along with security services of friendly nations succeeded this night (Tuesday) in freeing Nitsch Eberhard Robert, a German citizen abducted in Nigeria in July 2014 by the Boko Haram sect,” the Cameroon presidency said in a statement.

A spokesman for the German foreign ministry confirmed the man’s release, adding that he was now in Cameroon’s capital Yaounde.

No further details were immediately available about the hostage or the raid itself, including where it took place.

The release was announced a day after Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau mocked African leaders who were meeting in Niger to try to forge a united front against the Islamists.

“African kings… I challenge you to attack me now. I am ready.”

Boko Haram — which has been waging a brutal insurgency in Nigeria since 2009 — previously abducted foreigners in Nigeria and Cameroon, but all have since been released.

However, more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by the militants in April last year in one of the most shocking acts of their insurgency are still missing.

As news of the German’s rescue emerged, the African Union announced it has asked the Security Council to approve a mandate for a regional force and a fund to help finance it.

“Boko Haram is a threat not only to Nigeria and the region, but also to the continent as a whole,” AU head Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said in a statement.

Nigeria’s army has come under fire repeatedly for failing to crush the militants, whose insurgency has left 13,000 people dead and forced 1.5 million from their homes.

Boko Haram has also been stepping up attacks in Nigeria and neighbouring Cameroon, where it abducted dozens of people Sunday.

Niger said Wednesday the headquarters of the regional African force set up to fight Boko Haram will now be transferred to Chad after its base in the Nigerian border town of Baga was overrun earlier this month by the Islamist militants.

– Regional efforts hamstrung –

Chad is seen as having the most capable military in the region and at the weekend sent a convoy of troops and 400 military vehicles into neighbouring Cameroon to battle Boko Haram.

Two Cameroonian soldiers were wounded in heavy clashes Tuesday with Boko Haram in the far north of Cameroon, which borders Nigeria.

“We managed to repel the enemy,” a Cameroonian military commander told AFP on condition of anonymity. “We saw signs that made us think Boko Haram lost men.”

Regional efforts to fight Boko Haram have been hampered by Nigeria’s reticence, with Abuja looking suspiciously on any foreign military intervention on its soil.

“Nigeria feels it can take care of the problem itself, but (Boko Haram) is no longer just impacting Nigeria, it’s an issue for the whole region,” said an African diplomat based in Ethiopia’s capital.

Nigeria and its neighbours held talks this week in Niger’s capital Niamey on speeding up the creation of the force to fight the militants.

Anger against the militants is growing in Cameroon, with protesters hitting the capital’s streets Wednesday with signs saying “Beat it Boko Haram,” and “I am Kolofata,” in reference to town that has suffered repeated attacks from Boko Haram.

The group’s leader Shekau claimed responsibility for the assault on Baga in a video posted Tuesday which is thought to have killed hundreds and is considered the militants’ deadliest attack.

In his 35-minute message Shekau said: “We will not stop. This is not much. You’ll see.

READ MORE...
http:///1yI9UsN

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by LagosBoi2(m): 11:31pm On Jan 21, 2015
I am now sure that camerounian army are better efficient and organized than our own military and someone will be telling me to be giving them moral support

which kind support be dat one

2 Likes

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by cycline404(m): 11:32pm On Jan 21, 2015
What Nigerian can't do Cameroon can do it better
Please i suggest we should beg the Cameroonian to help us #BringBackOurBabes!

Willkommen zu Hause, verabschieden uns von Nigeria für immer. Wir sehen uns in Berlin.

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by Horus(m): 11:32pm On Jan 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLk9QZmKv8

[size=15pt]German Boko Haram hostage freed by Cameroonian Armed Forces[/size]

A German hostage, kidnapped by suspected Boko Haram militants in Nigeria, has been freed following a raid by Cameroon's military.
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by seunlayi(m): 11:34pm On Jan 21, 2015
at last, good job

2 Likes

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by BlackTechnology: 11:36pm On Jan 21, 2015
LagosBoi2:
I am now sure that camerounian army are better efficient and organized than our own military and someone will be telling me to be giving them moral support

which kind support be dat one

Thank God you never blamed GEJ who gave those cowards enough ammo only for them to abandoned it and flee like sissy cool
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by cycline404(m): 11:38pm On Jan 21, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Thank God you never blamed GEJ who gave those cowards enough ammo only for them to abandoned it and flee like sissy cool

Who wan die? especially for this type of country!
BokoTeam have 2016 Specs of weapon, The president want them to use the same one bought in 1425BC
If na me i go run pass self
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by BlackTechnology: 11:40pm On Jan 21, 2015
cycline404:

Who wan die? especially for this type of country!
BokoTeam have 2016 Specs of weapon, The president want them to use the same one bought in 1425BC
If na me i go run pass self

Watch Baga attack and you go see sey those cowards were given sophisticated weapons. grin

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by cycline404(m): 11:45pm On Jan 21, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Watch Baga attack and you go see sey those cowards were given sophisticated weapons. grin

Bro e no easy....
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by LagosBoi2(m): 11:46pm On Jan 21, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Infact he takes all the blame, He is the CinC of the country, If he buys enough weapons by himself for the army then hold a private meeting with the military chiefs and give them a set time to finish boko haram or resign. You will see them working hard to keep their job, instead after every meeting they leave there with the pot bellies smiling and shaking hands...so pathetic

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by BlackTechnology: 11:50pm On Jan 21, 2015
cycline404:

Bro e no easy....

No mind those yeye cowards.

Most of them get their jobs through long legs. cool
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by Fortifive: 11:54pm On Jan 21, 2015
Cameroon moping our dirty water

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by free2ryhme: 12:30am On Jan 22, 2015
this is a good indication that corruption has collapsed the Nigerian army what a shame undecided

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by Horus(m): 2:06am On Jan 22, 2015
Congratulation to Cameroon
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by goddypawa: 12:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
Nigerians should stop playing the blame game. Every country unites once confronted with a common ennemy, How come Nigeria is the exception?. Nigeria for sure is the giant of Africa and nothing is ever going to change that. Not even BH!
Most Cameroonians are against President Paul Biya but from the moment this Boko boys started infiltrating our boundaries, we ended totally every form of politics and gave full power to our president why? because we know by the time we are done with the boko boys we would start the politics again as usual. Here in cameroon some civil servant would even proposed that salaries should be truncated just to make sure our troops lacks nothing. This should be the spirit of Africa!
You guys may think the westerners are condoling our death ones with us but believe me anything keeping Africa ashore is good for them. Africans should unite and look into their problems. More than often, those problems are brought from outside but because we refuse to dialog, we fail to see what everybody is seeing: Mama Africa The land flowing with milk and horney! God would give us wisdom

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by Horus(m): 12:16pm On Jan 22, 2015
goddypawa:
Nigerians should stop playing the blame game. Every country unites once confronted with a common ennemy, How come Nigeria is the exception?. Nigeria for sure is the giant of Africa and nothing is ever going to change that. Not even BH!
Most Cameroonians are against President Paul Biya but from the moment this Boko boys started infiltrating our boundaries, we ended totally every form of politics and gave full power to our president why? because we know by the time we are done with the boko boys we would start the politics again as usual. Here in cameroon some civil servant would even proposed that salaries should be truncated just to make sure our troops lacks nothing. This should be the spirit of Africa!
You guys may think the westerners are condoling our death ones with us but believe me anything keeping Africa ashore is good for them. Africans should unite and look into their problems. More than often, those problems are brought from outside but because we refuse to dialog, we fail to see what everybody is seeing: Mama Africa The land flowing with milk and horney! God would give us wisdom

I agree, Cameroonians are more united
Re: Cameroon Frees German Abducted In Nigeria By Boko Haram! by Nayah(f): 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2015
[quote author=Horus post=30025052]

I agree, Cameroonians are more united[/quote
I've always said that we Cameroonians are organized patriotic and very united things that are still rare in Nigeria. And I m dad that because if this bitter truth some Nigerians continue to say "ordinary Cameroon" and all they while the World watches who is who now

Out Boko Haram we won't let you breath till the end . Peace to Africa

(1) (Reply)

Pardon Buhari He Doesn't Know Where His Certificates Are - Lai Mohammed / Lagos 2015:Fashola Indicts Himself, Accuses Agbaje Of Tax Evasion / Heavy Fighting For Michika As Troops Retake Monguno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.