Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,303 members, 7,839,481 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje (1248 Views)

Fly Over And Road Construction In Epe, Lagos Ongoing (Photos) / Non-indigenes In Lagos Must Respect Their Hosts– Akiolu / INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:08pm On Jan 24, 2015
Agbajes Unusual Campaign Strategy

We will not deport non-indigenes Rather than , we will recreate Victoria Island in places like Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry,etc

Personality Focus

The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in Lagos State, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, has adopted an unusual approach to his campaign and could spring a surprise. Ojo M. Maduekwe writes

You can hardly fault his argument on the political economy of the state. He has the grasp and boasts rich content. Mr. Jimi Agbaje, governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) told a curious audience that he had spent the last eight years studying the state with more than a passing interest.

Apart from having kept his eyes on the ball since his first outing in 2007, Agbaje claimed to have also spent time at some causes to improve his skills and general knowledge about leadership. Thus, whenever he is speaking, most times extempore, he showed a good knowledge of the Lagos environment.

Agbaje is however campaigning and canvassing for votes based on a seven-point agenda in security, health, education and youth empowerment, leadership and governance, transportation, economic empowerment and residential housing.

Continued .....
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:09pm On Jan 24, 2015
Primarily, these are his selling points, but, a close study of his ongoing town hall meetings further reveal a campaign style that is expected to work for him, all things being equal. At these meetings, Agbaje dedicates a substantial amount of time to wooing non-indigenes in the state. He promises them far better treatment than what they are witnessing under the present administration.

At Ajeromi local government area, Agbaje, in reference to the controversial policy by the incumbent administration that sent several persons back to their states of origin, promised the audience, made up of a majority of non-indigene groups that none of them will be deported if elected.

“We will not deport non-indigenes from Lagos. Rather than drive people away, we will recreate Victoria Island in places like Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry and so on”.

Continued.....
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:10pm On Jan 24, 2015
According to Agbaje, “the moment we say that non-indigenes must go, the indigenous land owners and landlords won’t find tenants to occupy their houses, and buyers to purchase their lands.”

At a similar meeting in Amuwo Odofin, Agbaje expressed disappointment that non-indigenes were leaving the state due to harsh economic conditions.

“Our industries are being relocated to neighbouring States like Ogun due to infrastructure and heavy taxation.”
To address this, he promised to come up with policies that would encourage industries in the state and also cushion the harsh economic plight of residents of the state.

Continued.....
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:12pm On Jan 24, 2015
Now, there is something unusual about Agbaje’s campaign strategy. Aside former motorcycle riders who were banned in Lagos State, and are embittered with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) government, the non-indigene groups that were affected by the controversial policy that saw some people deported back to their states of origin, are said to be determined in making sure the APC was voted out.

They, like the motorcycle riders have had a taste of what critics of the state government have defined as the elitist nature of the administration. When the incumbent governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, campaigned in 2011 for re-election, he partly did so riding on the back of the motorcycle operators. He initially supported them with helmets and vests before the 2011 election. They, in return, followed him everywhere that he went to campaign. Weeks after he was re-elected, things changed.

Agbaje promised a different style of governance. In his plan for Lagos, in the area of economic empowerment, the he said “We will champion a Lagos that enables Lagosians to achieve their personal, entrepreneurial and professional aspirations.” This, he promised to do “regardless of origin, socio-economic background and gender.”
Continued....
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:13pm On Jan 24, 2015
Seen through a different lense, Agbaje’s campaign focus has been narrowed down to the masses. In Ajeromi local government, he told the audience that, “The APC government does not cater for the low-income earners,” asking them to take a look at the incumbent’s policies on education and housing.

“The government said since there is no low-income cement, then there can be nothing like low-income housing. But we know and witnessed a government once that made housing affordable for the people, and that governor who led the government then is still alive. My government will bring back low-income housing.”

Defending his strategy here, Agbaje said it was a simple one. “The land belongs to the people. All the government has to do is make the purchase of lands for housing cheap. When this is achieved, then the funds for cement will be taken care of… What we have today is a situation where those in power in the state have appropriated the lands for themselves.”

Continued....
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 24, 2015
well said our next Governor!!! Eko oni bajeooo
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:15pm On Jan 24, 2015
Again, at the Ojo Council town hall meeting, he argued that the APC was elitist in nature, and that was why the Lagos State Government under Fashola, until he rescinded on the decision, increased the school fees for the State University (LASU) from about N25,000 to over N250,000. Agbaje promised the audience that if elected as governor, his administration would not be caught increasing school fees for the state university.

Rather, he said what his administration will seek to do was, “Improve the standard for teaching and equip the university to meet up with global challenges in education. Increasing the fees for students in government owned tertiary institutions will not happen in my administration.”

He also reiterated his pledge to grant free education at primary levels, and continue with his scholarship scheme. “I will continue to give scholarship generously but to those who can read and are serious to pass.”

Another advantage Agbaje appears to have is similar to that which favoured the Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, over the former governor, Kayode Fayemi. Fayose defeated Fayemi partly because the people of Ekiti were said to have been tired of the imposing influence that former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu, has on the party.

Lagosians, many think, seem poised to re-enact the Ekiti experience when they vote at the February 28 poll. A flyer that was circulated in one of the town hall meetings had the following: “We are tired of one man controlling the state of Lagos. We are tired of one man who decides who becomes a governor, a commissioner, a senator, a local government chairman, a councillor, etc.”
Continued...
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:16pm On Jan 24, 2015
In an online article titled “Jimi, a Governor who won’t be governed”, Lagosians were asked to wrest power and ensure that “The fiefdom which Lagos has become in the past fifteen years must be torn down”. The author urged Lagosians not to “throw away” another four years of their children’s future, but seek to be free.

“The prize is freedom from Tinubu’s stranglehold on the resources of Lagos State. Freedom! The symbol of this war is Jimi Agbaje… Why is Jimi Agbaje the symbol of freedom? Lagos state under a fresh breath is infinitely better than continued slavery under Tinubu,” the author stated.

Although he has refused to directly attack the personality of Tinubu, when Agbaje in his outings talk about “vested interests” in the state housing scheme and other business interest in the state, several people believe that he was referring to Tinubu.

Many believe therefore that the election will be a face-off between the masses and the establishment; and Agbaje they say, represents the masses. As can be gleamed from his campaign style, Agbaje is aware of this, which is the reason for his unending appeal to the non-indigenes, former motorcycle riders and the disenchanted residents of Lagos.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/agbaje-8217-s-unusual-campaign-strategy/199924/
[/quote]
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:18pm On Jan 24, 2015
Lagosians should vote this guy.He is very sound and knows what's up.

3 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2015
chukwudi44:
well said our next Governor!!! Eko oni bajeooo
Agbaje is intellectually and economically sound.

3 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2015
Jimi Agbaje is becoming dumb because he wants to win cheap votes from Ndigbo.

6 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by OLADD: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2015
idumuose:

OP, without prejudice or sentiment, I am 95% confident that Jimi Agbaje is the next Governor of Lagos and I want APC e-warrious to quote me after Feb 28. I am pretty sure.

3 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 24, 2015
Somehow I still prefer Tinubu to Bode George.

3 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by Freelancer00(m): 1:27pm On Jan 24, 2015
Lol. Which land does he want to claim to recreate VI in Epe. He can do that only if he chases everybody away from there. The man Na clown sha and some people wants this one to be their next governor.

An Epe indigene here

5 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by Freelancer00(m): 1:28pm On Jan 24, 2015
OLADD:

OP, without prejudice or sentiment, I am 95% confident that Jimi Agbaje is the next Governor of Lagos and I want APC e-warrious to quote me after Feb 28. I am pretty sure.
What makes u so confident? I'll like to know
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 1:34pm On Jan 24, 2015
OLADD:

i agree with you OLADD

1 Like

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by alaoeri: 1:38pm On Jan 24, 2015
Jimi talk is cheap, don't waste your energy & resources because you can't come near Alausa, Ambode is busy pulling crowd with his rally while you result into town hall meetings with less 400 ppl at each meeting, its glaring Jimi can't win the election.
APC Change.
Ambo Atide.
Eko oni bajeeeee.

4 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by OLADD: 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2015
Freelancer00:
What makes u so confident? I'll like to know

So many factors allude to it. From Fashola's elitist rule to oppression of common man(artisans, motorists, okada riders, people whose houses were demolished with little or no compensation, traders whose wares were carted away by overzealous and corrupt officials, taxation burden, unwarranted toll fees just to mention but few). In addition to those factors, Tinubu has lost or he's gradually loosing his cult figure in Lagos and most of Southwest states. Do you want to hear this also? Lagos state Voters register has been sanitised and pruned from 6.5 million to about 5.8 million and that further limits the propensity for rigging( l am sure you know what I mean), it's now one man-one vote.

1 Like

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by Alphaoscar: 2:25pm On Jan 24, 2015
its only the dumb and clueless eediots that will buy into this. how will he be able to create VI in Ajegunle, Badagry and other areas without displacing people and demolishing people houses and businesses?

Agbaje is sounding unrealistic and desperate with this campaign and its a sign of insincerity and someone with hidden agenda.

3 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by redcliff: 3:18pm On Jan 24, 2015
OLADD:

Even obanikoro stands a greater chance yo ein lagos than jimi agbaje.. truth be told and accepted.. agbaje is going no where... pdp would never have lagos

2 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by OLADD: 3:22pm On Jan 24, 2015
redcliff:

Even obanikoro stands a greater chance yo ein lagos than jimi agbaje.. truth be told and accepted.. agbaje is going no where... pdp would never have lagos

Feb 28 beckons, we shall see. But don't forget to quote me when Agbaje wins Lagos
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by redcliff: 3:24pm On Jan 24, 2015
OLADD:

Feb 28 beckons, we shall see. But don't forget to quote me when Agbaje wins Lagos

Dont also forget to quote me when it comes.. remember the 2011 results? It shall replicate itself once more

2 Likes

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by idumuose(m): 3:41pm On Jan 24, 2015
redcliff:

Dont also forget to quote me when it comes.. remember the 2011 results? It shall replicate itself once more
Feb 28 is by the corner.We are waiting for the big show.Tinubu's dynasty is about to crumble like a pack of cards.

1 Like

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by yerimastyle(m): 4:17pm On Jan 24, 2015
Jimi me and my entire community will vote jimi We want change in Lagos state and transformation continuity in Nigeria Vote CHange Vote transformation Vote PDP
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by yerimastyle(m): 4:22pm On Jan 24, 2015
redcliff:

2011 there was No military but now the military and Mbu will show tinubu
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by adaweezy(m): 4:27pm On Jan 24, 2015
booked

1 Like

Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by hedonistic: 4:36pm On Jan 24, 2015
the feedback I have been getting from the grassroots suggests that Jimi is on course to win by a landslide. At least the areas I visit and mingle in frequently (including Festac, Okota, Ajao Estate, Oshodi/Isolo, etc) would go almost 70% to Jimi.

I'm not talking about some middle class wannabes. I mean the real common man in the streets. They all want the APC out. Echoes of Jimi Jimi Jimi are so deafening these days that my eardrums have had enough.
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by KanwuliaJara: 4:39pm On Jan 24, 2015
Haaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

Eko ni 'A gba je o'! cheesy

This would be a 'pleasant disgrace'!
Amen!!!!
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by adaweezy(m): 4:45pm On Jan 24, 2015
hedonistic:
the feedback I have been getting from the grassroots suggests that Jimi is on course to win by a landslide. At least the areas I visit and mingle in frequently (including Festac, Okota, Ajao Estate, Oshodi/Isolo, etc) would go almost 70% to Jimi.

I'm not talking about some middle class wannabes. I mean the real common man in the streets. They all want the APC out. Echoes of Jimi Jimi Jimi are so deafening these days that my eardrums have had enough.

those From Ikeja to Alimosho then Agege to Ifako Ijaiye it is Jimi too abi
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by musiwa94: 4:48pm On Jan 24, 2015
Th
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by hedonistic: 5:10pm On Jan 24, 2015
adaweezy:

those From Ikeja to Alimosho then Agege to Ifako Ijaiye it is Jimi too abi

You need to go to those areas and seek the opinions of random common people (okada riders and passengers, danfo commuters, artisans, market women, petty traders and so on). You'll find out for yourself.
Re: We Will Not Deport Non-indigenes Rather We'll Recreate V.I In Epe,etc-Agbaje by adaweezy(m): 5:14pm On Jan 24, 2015
hedonistic:

You need to go to those areas and seek the opinions of random common people (okada riders and passengers, danfo commuters, artisans, market women, petty traders and so on). You'll find out for yourself.

I already did what did you find out in Lagos West Senatorial district....
the truth is Okada riders hardy like apc due to the restrictive policies it has out in place......but the rest are not that Proportionate.... with Okada riders
As for my ward our votes care for Ambode And Yayi.

(1) (Reply)

We’ve Distributed 43m Pvcs – Inec (break Down) / Robert Okoroji For Lagos State Governor? / Is This True About The Ndigbos Families?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.