Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU (5703 Views)

Onu To Use Only made In Nigeria Vehicles / Buhari:Amaechi, Ngige and Onu to become ministers without portfolio- Vanguard / Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 9:34am On Jan 25, 2015
I could not believe that would come from her, and I just wondered whether she was being deliberately dishonest, or simply gullible. Well, just for the records: When Dr Edem Kodjo vacated his seat as Secretary-General and the OAU could not elect a successor, Dr Peter Onu, as the most senior official was asked to head the OAU Secretariat as Acting Secretary-General from 1983-1985. Indeed, in 1985 when a new Secretary-General was to be elected, several countries requested Nigeria to nominate Dr Onu to run for the election, but General Buhari refused. Ironically, when Edi Oumarou, who came from a town in Niger less than 100 kilometres from Daura, Buhari’s hometown was elected, there were innuendos from some Nigerian papers. It was, therefore, not correct to allege that a Nigerian had once been the Secretary-General of the OAU.

www.safpi.org/news/article/2012/19th-au-assembly-pitting-nigeria-against-south-africa
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 9:37am On Jan 25, 2015
“I remember in 1985 in Africa Hall that he was for confirmation of Dr Peter Onu of Nigeria, who was acting Secretary General but Nigeria’s Head of State Gen Muhammadu Buhary was adamant in his support of Niger’s candidate, Idi Omaro, a Fulani Muslim. In a meeting, a handful of Presidents led by Nyerere met with Gen Buhary and Nwalimu begged him: ‘Please give us Peter!’ Buhary refused and forgot even to be courteous to his old peers. What was astonishing, when the vote was in favour of Niger’s candidate, the Nigerian Head rejoiced to such a degree that he was unable to control his emotions. That was a moment I witnessed and was convinced that General Buhary would not last long as a leader.” – The OAU: Reality Or Fiction by Ibrahim Daggash, former Head of Information and Communication, Organization of African Unity (OAU); pg 69; ISBN 1-9044722- 25-3
It is unheard-of in history that a self-respecting leader of a country would vote against his country’s candidate in international diplomacy. But here, you have it in black and white, in a book, that former Head of State General Muhammadu Buhari would rather have a Fulani Muslim candidate from Niger instead of Nigeria’s own esteemed Dr. Peter Onu. Not even the highly revered then President of Tanzania, Julius Nyerere could make Buhari to change his mind. This kind of bizarre shamelessness is why Nigeria is the laughing stock of the civilized world. It is unthinkable that any leader, anywhere would insult his own country by backing an opponent from another country.
The crude tragedy here is that it was the selfsame Buhari who made this patriotic statement: “This generation of Nigerians and indeed future generations have no other country than Nigeria. We must stay here to salvage it together.” How would the late Peter Onu have faith in Nigeria when he could not get the support of his country’s leader? It is as though the so-called leader was more interested in the ethnicity and religion of Peter Onu’s opponent from Niger than any bonds of citizenship with his Nigerian compatriot. Cry, the beloved country, as Alan Paton entitled his sad book. Attaining the great post of Secretary-General of the then OAU was a task most African countries gave their all in raising their diplomatic stakes. In Peter Onu’s case, he even had the other African countries rooting for him because of his undoubted competence only to be abandoned by the very man at the helm of affairs in his own country.
Indeed Chinua Achebe was spot-on when he stated that the trouble with Nigeria stood on leadership in his classic little book The Trouble With Nigeria. A leader that cannot support his countrymen and women can only be aid to be worse than useless. How indeed will Nigerians be motivated to lift up the country? It all means that all the croaking about “One Nigeria” is a huge joke. Buhari’s antecedents can only deal a deathblow to his current attempt at winning the presidency of Nigeria. He is not showing in any sense whatsoever that he has changed from his old ways which made the author to state in the book quoted above at the beginning of this article that “he was convinced that General Buhary (sic) would not last long as a leader.” All over the internet are quotes of Buhari stressing that he would ensure the entrenchment of the controversial Sharia law all over the country. In a plural society such as Nigeria, that is a surefire way to covet trouble. Buhari ought to know that the country is no longer under military where his word was law. Even then, he was even so easily overthrown by his military peers due to his bad politics. Buhari had earlier said quite undiplomatically that Muslims should vote for only Muslims. It goes against the grain for a man who aspires to be the leader of all to sound so parochial.
Buhari obviously has his fawning sycophants, but the larger public remains unimpressed. It is this his latching to the praise songs of his toadies that makes Buhari imagine that he can ride roughshod over simple rules like presenting his school certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Celebrating a man who cannot produce his mandatory school certificate in the contest for the Nigerian presidency aptly sums up the sorry fate of the country where a child from Anambra State, for instance, must score more than 139 marks to be admitted into the so-called Unity Schools while another child from Yobe State is only required to score just 2, as in TWO, marks. Pathetic! A leader who shamelessly helped to defeat his own country as Buhari did in Peter Onu’s contest for the Secretary-General post of the then OAU has no business putting up his head to lead the country yet again. Since he is so desirous of supporting his Fulani mates from Niger, would it not be wiser to aspire to lead Niger Republic instead? Somebody urgently needs to CHANGE himself first!

theunion.com.ng/buhari-the-leader-who-defeated-his-nation/
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 9:43am On Jan 25, 2015
His allegiance is first, to the Fulani Nation before anything.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 5:10am On Jul 04, 2015
This was before the election and now Buhari is living up to his supremacist character.

Baba One chance aka D--ullardinho.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Nctrice(m): 6:04am On Jul 04, 2015
the North brought him to Power through a high powered conspiracy, it's not shocking that all his appointments has been tilted towards the North so far, and I won't be surprised if eventually all are tilted towards that same Line. The North deserve that much. And besides I think that's the kind of Nigeria that Majority of Nigerians wanted. We wanted CHANGE, change is here, let's live with it!

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 04, 2015
Reading this makes my heart bleed but i pray he becomes a "king cyrus" or "king artaxerxes of persia"

1 Like

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Rotimi47: 6:42am On Jul 04, 2015
Change is here so let people deal with it; why are people complaining? When Tinubu was working with other APC party loyalist to put in place people that won't compromise things for the good of Nigeria, the south south and south east allied with saraki a man they can sacrifice Nigeria for his personal ambition and he emerged senate President, they show it openly in the house by dancing not knowing they just shot themselves in the leg. Abeg let them gladly accept what the see since they have always allowed ethnic sentiments to over cloud their reasoning. Ain't it Jonathan who approved that high profile boko haram prisoners be transfered to Anambra state? He delayed so that it will not affect the votes he is going to get from them and he will transfer them there after he Win's the election but alas the Igbo's voted him but he lost and the 47 boko haram prisoners are now there in Anambra prison. To me the federal government have the right to take decision that it deem necessary.
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by belzabull(f): 6:46am On Jul 04, 2015
buhari is a jihardist, an Islamic fundamentalist, a terrorist and religious extremist who can never change his spot. Woe into him

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by OKKO(m): 6:49am On Jul 04, 2015
It baffles me how SW muslims (e.g. Tinubu) thinks they are half brothers to the North. We they pray they refer to you as infidels so U can lead prayer where even the least of the is present; when they start their madness killing they call U fake muslims yet U go serving them as slaves.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by belzabull(f): 6:50am On Jul 04, 2015
Rotimi47:
[s]Change is here so let people deal with it; why are people complaining? When Tinubu was working with other APC party loyalist to put in place people that won't compromise things for the good of Nigeria, the south south and south east allied with saraki a man they can sacrifice Nigeria for his personal ambition and he emerged senate President, they show it openly in the house by dancing not knowing they just shot themselves in the leg. Abeg let them gladly accept what the see since they have always allowed ethnic sentiments to over cloud their reasoning. Ain't it Jonathan who approved that high profile boko haram prisoners be transfered to Anambra state? He delayed so that it will not affect the votes he is going to get from them and he will transfer them there after he Win's the election but alas the Igbo's voted him but he lost and the 47 boko haram prisoners are now there in Anambra prison. To me the federal government have the right to take decision that it deem necessary[/s].
Dumb comment

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 04, 2015
Buhari scale of preference, in descending order: I s l a m Boko haram Fula ni North east cum north west North South south cum south east Nigeria

*yellowbar no dhe d list at all

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 04, 2015
Sai Buhari, CHANJI.

Anybody who voted Buhari and join me to complain now, mek amadioha lock that person nyash.

You guys voted for chanji, your names must be turned to chanji.

Ndi ara.angry
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by AustineE1: 7:29am On Jul 04, 2015
This is not just about who voted for Buhari,for all i care,i have never voted for him for obvious reasons but eventually he is now the president. I had thought he will use this opportunity to clean up the filthiness of his old nature but like they elders often says,'no matter the kind of cloth you wear a monkey,a monkey will always be a monkey'.
I dont like blaming south-west for this mess but to say the least,they were his spin doctors and chief propagandists during the elections.
In our own case,the more we have 'change' the more things goes worst....what a pathetic nation.
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Moheat(m): 7:30am On Jul 04, 2015
Rotimi47:
Change is here so let people deal with it; why are people complaining? When Tinubu was working with other APC party loyalist to put in place people that won't compromise things for the good of Nigeria, the south south and south east allied with saraki a man they can sacrifice Nigeria for his personal ambition and he emerged senate President, they show it openly in the house by dancing not knowing they just shot themselves in the leg. Abeg let them gladly accept what the see since they have always allowed ethnic sentiments to over cloud their reasoning. Ain't it Jonathan who approved that high profile boko haram prisoners be transfered to Anambra state? He delayed so that it will not affect the votes he is going to get from them and he will transfer them there after he Win's the election but alas the Igbo's voted him but he lost and the 47 boko haram prisoners are now there in Anambra prison. To me the federal government have the right to take decision that it deem necessary.

I think you're commenting on a wrong post. Did you read the post at all? What I deduced is that we shouldn't have voted Buhari in the first place. We are not talking about the hallowed chamber debacle or the transfer ok boko haram of. Oya read the post again and commment like a literate
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by beland15: 11:50am On Jul 04, 2015
Just a month in office and so much prejudices and corruption and betrayals already. This pedophile will turn Nigeria to a desert. But BIAFRA is not part of his jurisdiction. Yorubas continue to suffer under your 'friends' forever

1 Like

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 04, 2015
Nigerians were warned
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by dareyb68: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
Job Vacancy AT Massive Academic and Non-Academic Staffs Position Recruitment at Caleb University, July 2015

http:///Hk1pY8
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by blessnija: 12:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
such a fool
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
Change is here Live with it. Back to the Topic yes don't you know his father came from Niger Republic go inquire. Hahahahahahhaha Change indeed.
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 1:33pm On Jul 04, 2015
Damn after reading this again, I curse Buhari the Dul-lard!
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 10:34am On Jan 03, 2017
BlackPikiN:

His allegiance is first, to the Fulani Nation before anything.

Quote.
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Presidiotbuhari: 11:52am On Jan 03, 2017
Can the mod take this thread to home page let all nigeria see that buhari the ethnic and tribal jingoist has not changed a bit.

You can take a monkey out of the bush, but u can't take the bush out of the monkey......Buharii is a bloody MONKEY
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by nabiz(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2017
Rotimi47:
u are talking rubbish and out of point. We are talking about international politics and you are hear talking rubbish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Rotimi47: 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2017
nabiz:
u are talking rubbish and out of point. We are talking about international politics and you are hear talking rubbish
What do you know about politics?many of you don't know anything about local politics not to talk of international politics and yet, you're quick to spew out trash because it makes you feel better about yourself.
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by explorer250(m): 1:55pm On Jan 03, 2017
Rotimi47:
What do you know about politics?many of you don't know anything about local politics not to talk of international politics and yet, you're quick to spew out trash because it makes you feel better about yourself.

shame unto you for supporting buhari in this kind of evil. why are youbpeople like this? can two wrongs make a right? this man sacrificed his countries pride for religion and ethnicity despite being the head of state of Nigeria,whom is required to defend Nigeria's interest. SHAME UNTO YOU AND YOUR LIKES

1 Like

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by ola6: 2:05pm On Jan 03, 2017
Rotimi47:

Ode Buruku!!! angry angry angry
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Rotimi47: 2:18pm On Jan 03, 2017
ola6:

Ode Buruku!!! angry angry angry
Didirin ni e!!!
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Rotimi47: 3:00pm On Jan 03, 2017
explorer250:

shame unto you for supporting buhari in this kind of evil. why are youbpeople like this? can two wrongs make a right? this man sacrificed his countries pride for religion and ethnicity despite being the head of state of Nigeria,whom is required to defend Nigeria's interest. SHAME UNTO YOU AND YOUR LIKES
You should be ashamed of yourself! Why is it difficult for you to read between the lines? Why do you people think only of yourself? Should Nigeria be sacrificed at the expense of the larger population for YOU and your LIKE to feel better?

I believe we all know that there is only one Nigeria not 2 and the country have a constitution which guides her leaders and citizens alike. Let me put things straight; I am not in support of Buhari nor in support of some of his policies that have brought hardship to most Nigerians, but I'm in support of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and since it has not been amended and the country is still one; I stand by it.

Futhermore, Let me state that Buhari can be challenged if he violates the constitution but we can only advice him when the decision taken by him do not go against the constitution but we feel that his decisions are not in our interest.

In conclusion, I will never support anyone that violates the constitution of Nigeria nor will I support anyone that violates the right of the common man/the citizenry.
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by explorer250(m): 3:39pm On Jan 03, 2017
Rotimi47:
You should be ashamed of yourself! Why is it difficult for you to read between the lines? Why do you people think only of yourself? Should Nigeria be sacrificed at the expense of the larger population for YOU and your LIKE to feel better?

I believe we all know that there is only one Nigeria not 2 and the country have a constitution which guides her leaders and citizens alike. Let me put things straight; I am not in support of Buhari nor in support of some of his policies that have brought hardship to most Nigerians, but I'm in support of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and since it has not been amended and the country is still one; I stand by it.

Futhermore, Let me state that Buhari can be challenged if he violates the constitution but we can only advice him when the decision taken by him do not go against the constitution but we feel that his decisions are not in our interest.

In conclusion, I will never support anyone that violates the constitution of Nigeria nor will I support anyone that violates the right of the common man/the citizenry.

trash......

there is no justification for your defence of buharis unpatriotism and ethnic bigotry.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Rotimi47: 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2017
explorer250:

trash......

there is no justification for your defence of buharis unpatriotism and ethnic bigotry.
Spewing RUBBISH ......,.

Because someone's decision do not favour you doesn't mean he is making a bad one; why didn't you complain when past leaders decisions favoured you?
Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by BlackPikiN(m): 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2019
Rotimi47:
Spewing RUBBISH ......,.

Because someone's decision do not favour you doesn't mean he is making a bad one; why didn't you complain when past leaders decisions favoured you?

Buhari is an hediot goat. He keeps his tribalism and nepotism 100%.
He’ll be known for that.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Preferred A Fulani From Niger Rep Instead Of Dr Peter Onu To Head OAU by Rotimi47: 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2019
BlackPikiN:

Buhari is an hediot goat. He keeps his tribalism and nepotism 100%.
He’ll be known for that.
grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What A Lady What Wearing On The Streets Of Abuja / Our Bosses Are Stingy, Lawmakers' Aide Lament / Hypocrisy Of Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.