Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! (4519 Views)

Lady Dumps Guy For Being Too Nice, Read What Her Friend Did / Seduction Or She's Just Being Too Nice? Advice Needed! / She Said I'm Too Nice To Her. Whaz D Way Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 25, 2015
I used to get very excited whenever someone would tell me: “you’re a really nice guy”. I thought it was a fantastic compliment to receive.

Then I started noticing in my own life and the life of other “really nice” people that this label often came with less than favourable consequences. The more I noticed the patterns unveiling, the more being seen as “nice” began to trouble me and shock me.

So I began to change some of my nice guy persona and get more of an edge. It was one of the best moves I have ever made.

Eventually, as a communication coach, I also began teaching others how to be less nice.

Today, my close friends and I have an insiders joke about this. Whenever we say about a person “he’s a really nice guy” or “she’s a really nice girl”, what we actually mean is “this person gets used and abused in all imaginable ways for being a people pleaser”.

What Does “Nice” Mean, Anyway?

To be fair, I think that when someone calls you a “nice guy”, “nice girl” or “nice person”, there are two different meanings.

Sometimes an individual can’t find the more accurate positive word they want to use to describe you, so they use a conventional positive word. They want to say that you’re interesting, or funny, or kind, or a good conversationalist, but it comes out as nice, cool or OK.

If this is the case, you have nothing to worry about. The word nice is a poor choice to describe an overall positive trait you have. Embrace it and forgive people for their vagueness in communication.

However, I came to the conclusion that more often than not, the label “nice” reflects something that might appear positive initially, but it will in fact work against you. Here’s the thing:

People will frequently refer to a person who is very accommodating and focused on pleasing others as being

This topic has recently started receiving serious attention in the world of psychology, where phenomena such as the nice girl or nice guy syndrome are now being studied vigilantly.

what does being 'nice' mean anyway?

To be fair, I think that when someone calls you a “nice guy”, “nice girl” or “nice person”, there are two different meanings.

Sometimes an individual can’t find the more accurate positive word they want to use to describe you, so they use a conventional positive word. They want to say that you’re interesting, or funny, or kind, or a good conversationalist, but it comes out as nice, cool or OK.

If this is the case, you have nothing to worry about. The word nice is a poor choice to describe an overall positive trait you have. Embrace it and forgive people for their vagueness in communication.

However, I came to the conclusion that more often than not, the label “nice” reflects something that might appear positive initially, but it will in fact work against you. Here’s the thing:

People will frequently refer to a person who is very accommodating and focused on pleasing others as being “nice”.

So the word may sound, well, nice, but it’s a dangerous label to have because it reflects the presence of personal attitudes and behaviours that in the long run will sabotage you.

THE PERILS OF BEING A 'NICE ' PERSON

Most of us have learned that it’s good to be nice, that we should put others first, that we should always help them and have a reputable image in front of others. If you’re frequently seen as a nice person, this is probably the sign that you’ve internalized this way of thinking a bit too well.

I’m not against helping others or being kind. I do think however that many people take this too far and end up sacrificing their own needs in order to please others, thinking that this will solve everything in their lives. And unfortunately, that’s very far from the truth.

And the perils of being seen as the nice person are becoming apparent. Here are some of the key ones:

1. EXHAUSTING YOURSELF JUST TO PLEASE OTHERS

As almost any nice guy or nice girl is fully aware, trying to please everybody and hold on to that nice reputation is a huge burden. Most nice people dedicate huge amounts of time, energy and resources to helping and accommodating other.

2. IGNORING YOURSELF

Obviously, if your focus is on others all the time, you have little time or energy to take care of yourself and enjoy yourself. This probably explains why the nicest persons I know are out of shape, stressed out and bordering multiple illnesses.

3. WE EXPECT PEOPLE TO BE NICE TOO

Most of us have believed a dangerous lie: that if we’re nice to others, others will also be nice to use. In practice, this only happens on and off. Many times, niceness invites people to use you, demand increasingly more from you without giving back and take everything for granted.

4. GETTING STOCK IN THIS FRAME

Whenever as a coach, I work with a nice person and they turn more assertive, others are typically shocked by their new behaviour. They’ve become so used with this person pleasing them all the time that when they start putting their foot in the door, it seems like pure treachery.

Fortunately, a nice person reputation can be changed, and the best way to do so is by changing how nice and compliant you really are.

There are three specific action steps to keep in mind:

1. GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR NEED

The first step to putting your needs forward is to become more aware of them. Although people who tend to be very nice often think their only need is to help others and be liked, they actually have a lot of more self-centered needs. They just lost touch with them and need to re-connect.

2. BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE

In my coaching practice, I often find that nice guys or girls struggle with self-esteem and self-confidence issues. They need to weed out their limiting beliefs and sometimes to master overcoming shyness or anxiety. If this is your case as well, definitely give a lot of attention to the inner change process.

3. PUT YOUR NEEDS FORWARD MORE

This can imply spending more time doing what you enjoy, asking more for what you want, saying no to others, being more spontaneous, expressing unpopular opinions or ending toxic relationships. It may not be easy at first, but this is the crucial behavioural step.

As you move from people pleasing to an assertive approach to life, people will see you differently and treat you differently.

You may not be told that you’re “really nice” anymore; you may sometimes be told that you’re “rude” or “selfish”, but you know what? Beyond those labels, you will have healthy relationships with people and a fulfilling life.

Please Help to Spread the Word

Source: copied and paste.
This is so true. What do you think? Happy sunday all kiss

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 25, 2015
Too much of a certain quality is bad. Personally, I don't like a "too nice" person. He/she would be taken advantage of.

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 25, 2015
Op too long

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 25, 2015
I wil continue to be who I am despite wat ppo say of me thanks. Cuz I am unique nd different.

2 Likes

Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Cmediagroup: 12:25pm On Jan 25, 2015
Seen
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by InZA: 12:32pm On Jan 25, 2015
There's nothing wrong in being nice...However there's everything wrong in being a wimp...The classic "nice guy" is a wimp, I say this because even the "bad boy" personae that most stupiid girls fall for, still has niceness as part of their character, the key is learning to balance the divide between being a wimp and being a nice guy.
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
InZA:
There's nothing wrong in being nice...However there's everything wrong in being a wimp...The classic "nice guy" is a wimp, I say this because even the "bad boy" personae that most stupiid girls fall for, still has niceness as part of their character, the key is learning to balance the divide between being a wimp and being a nice guy.
Being too nice isn't all that good, people might see it as your weakness and take advantage of it wink
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
kevinberry:
Op too long
I have modified
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by yorex2011: 12:40pm On Jan 25, 2015
Good to be nice... Just not up to the point of mumuness...
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by InZA: 12:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
classicB:

Being too nice isn't all that good, people might see it as your weakness and take advantage of it wink

This is a by the way question - were you that girl that was talking about being an introvert and stuff?

So how are things now with you and your guy
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 25, 2015
InZA:

This is a by the way question - were you that girl that was talking about being an introvert and stuff?

So how are things now with you and your guy
We are fine o. Tnk u
AM reading stuffs to improve myself.
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by InZA: 1:22pm On Jan 25, 2015
classicB:

We are fine o. Tnk u
AM reading stuffs to improve myself.

Nice to know smiley
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 25, 2015
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by AdeniyiA(m): 2:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
Too much of EVERYTHING is bad!
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by eightsin(m): 2:59pm On Jan 25, 2015
Being to nice to people all the time makes them look at you as a weakling. There is one simple rule on how to stop being too nice.. that is putting your needs before any one else. You do that, they may call you wicked but one thing is sure, u gonna get your respect. They might even start treating you nice just to please you.

3 Likes

Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by YUSUPH1986(m): 5:40pm On Jan 25, 2015
@op, u jxt described my trait, i luv dis piece, wil be more apy 2 knw u beta
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by lanxlot(m): 6:55pm On Jan 25, 2015
Nice gal/guy syndrome Or phenomenon......psychologist sha, so up 2 date....
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by OGeeKush(m): 7:35pm On Jan 25, 2015
I dnt knw if m even nice cheesy
U do well to me i do well to u.. U Bleep up nd i treat u lyk u aint $hit, no mata who u r...
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Afrok(m): 9:57pm On Jan 25, 2015
I think we are all nice... It depends on how U treat people, take advantage of someone because he/she is nice and U might end up regretting ur actions lipsrsealed.
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 26, 2015
YUSUPH1986:
@op, u jxt described my trait, i luv dis piece, wil be more apy 2 knw u beta
So u r a too nice person?
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by fejikudz(m): 2:52pm On Jan 26, 2015
op, 1bottle of orijin for u
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by YUSUPH1986(m): 5:41pm On Jan 26, 2015
classicB:

So u r a too nice person?
yes. Bt am moving away from it now
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by onegig(m): 6:02pm On Jan 26, 2015
InZA:

Exactly. Being nice is good but you must draw a line between being nice and having your personality trampled upon.

There should be a balance else people would take you for a ride and disrespect you.

3 Likes

Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by 2special(m): 4:25am On Jan 27, 2015
and why is ur profile showing "F"
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by pak: 9:53am On Feb 24, 2015
classicB:

2. BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE

In my coaching practice, I often find that nice guys or girls struggle with self-esteem and self-confidence issues. They need to weed out their limiting beliefs and sometimes to master overcoming shyness or anxiety. If this is your case as well, definitely give a lot of attention to the inner change process.

Nice people are actually very very very confident people.
Niceness is one thing, subservience is another.

To be nice sometimes means you have put the fear of being hurt aside and decided to forge ahead anyway.
I can live with being hurt but I can't live with intentionally hurting anybody. It's not lack of self confidence it is having a large and strong heart.

I have been in positions where people wanted to cheat me but I still did them good anyway. It's called the 'coals of fire' treatment.
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by praxs(m): 10:28am On Feb 24, 2015
i belong to the school of thought who believe in not changing who you are because of someone,but change who you are because you want to change you. people might take advantage of the nice person in you, but the good side of it is that it makes you a trustworthy person. we all cannot be buhari and we all cannot be jonathan as well. just be you
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by itstpia8: 7:44pm On May 11, 2016
Nice is an insult.
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by sylve11: 6:43pm On May 04, 2020
OGeeKush:
I dnt knw if m even nice cheesy
U do well to me i do well to u.. U Bleep up nd i treat u lyk u aint $hit, no mata who u r...

E nor pass like that. cool
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by Anonime1105(m): 6:59pm On May 04, 2020

I used to get very excited whenever someone would tell me: “you’re a really nice guy”. I thought it was a fantastic compliment to receive.

Then I started noticing in my own life and the life of other “really nice” people that this label often came with less than favourable consequences. The more I noticed the patterns unveiling, the more being seen as “nice” began to trouble me and shock me.

So I began to change some of my nice guy persona and get more of an edge. It was one of the best moves I have ever made.

Eventually, as a communication coach, I also began teaching others how to be less nice.

Today, my close friends and I have an insiders joke about this. Whenever we say about a person “he’s a really nice guy” or “she’s a really nice girl”, what we actually mean is “this person gets used and abused in all imaginable ways for being a people pleaser”.

What Does “Nice” Mean, Anyway?

People will frequently refer to a person who is very accommodating and focused on pleasing others as being

This topic has recently started receiving serious attention in the world of psychology, where phenomena such as the nice girl or nice guy syndrome are now being studied vigilantly.

what does being 'nice' mean anyway?

People will frequently refer to a person who is very accommodating and focused on pleasing others as being “nice”.

So the word may sound, well, nice, but it’s a dangerous label to have because it reflects the presence of personal attitudes and behaviours that in the long run will sabotage you.

THE PERILS OF BEING A 'NICE ' PERSON

Most of us have learned that it’s good to be nice, that we should put others first, that we should always help them and have a reputable image in front of others. If you’re frequently seen as a nice person, this is probably the sign that you’ve internalized this way of thinking a bit too well.

I’m not against helping others or being kind. I do think however that many people take this too far and end up sacrificing their own needs in order to please others, thinking that this will solve everything in their lives. And unfortunately, that’s very far from the truth.

And the perils of being seen as the nice person are becoming apparent. Here are some of the key ones:

1. EXHAUSTING YOURSELF JUST TO PLEASE OTHERS

As almost any nice guy or nice girl is fully aware, trying to please everybody and hold on to that nice reputation is a huge burden. Most nice people dedicate huge amounts of time, energy and resources to helping and accommodating other.

2. IGNORING YOURSELF

Obviously, if your focus is on others all the time, you have little time or energy to take care of yourself and enjoy yourself. This probably explains why the nicest persons I know are out of shape, stressed out and bordering multiple illnesses.

3. WE EXPECT PEOPLE TO BE NICE TOO

Most of us have believed a dangerous lie: that if we’re nice to others, others will also be nice to use. In practice, this only happens on and off. Many times, niceness invites people to use you, demand increasingly more from you without giving back and take everything for granted.

4. GETTING STOCK IN THIS FRAME

Whenever as a coach, I work with a nice person and they turn more assertive, others are typically shocked by their new behaviour. They’ve become so used with this person pleasing them all the time that when they start putting their foot in the door, it seems like pure treachery.

Fortunately, a nice person reputation can be changed, and the best way to do so is by changing how nice and compliant you really are.

There are three specific action steps to keep in mind:

1. GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR NEED

The first step to putting your needs forward is to become more aware of them. Although people who tend to be very nice often think their only need is to help others and be liked, they actually have a lot of more self-centered needs. They just lost touch with them and need to re-connect.

2. BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE

3. PUT YOUR NEEDS FORWARD MORE

This can imply spending more time doing what you enjoy, asking more for what you want, saying no to others, being more spontaneous, expressing unpopular opinions or ending toxic relationships. It may not be easy at first, but this is the crucial behavioural step.

As you move from people pleasing to an assertive approach to life, people will see you differently and treat you differently.

You may not be told that you’re “really nice” anymore; you may sometimes be told that you’re “rude” or “selfish”, but you know what? Beyond those labels, you will have healthy relationships with people and a fulfilling life.

Please Help to Spread the Word

Source: copied and paste.

Being a Nice guy or girl (people pleasing person) never ends well
Re: MUST READ: The Shocking Truth About Being A 'too Nice' Person!!! by SHAKABOOM: 9:12pm On May 04, 2020
Be in between,,,Be 55% good and 45% bad.

Nobody is perfect

(1) (Reply)

End-time: London's First Unclad Restaurant Opens / What Is Your Best Animated Movie For 2016 / I Sent My Gal Airtime And She Used It To Call Another Guy for sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.