Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,685 members, 7,820,389 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo (53257 Views)

Buhari Vs Jonathan: Opinion Polls By Pulse TV (Videos) / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo / Buhari Vs Jonathan:beyond the election,by Charles Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by kakakent: 5:59pm On Jan 26, 2015
sincerenigerian:
How I wish Nigerians can read this piece from top to bottom. This piece should be an eye opener for all of us.

Good piece from Prof. Soludo.

Prof inuru mmiri ara nne gi oh dis is what dis anti-jonathans need always accusing dat cool dudde over every dick tom nd harry for gods sake oil prices is determined by d interactions of demand nd supply in the oil mkt can buhari maintain nigeria as the 3rd fastest growing economy in d world? Or is it jst to call his boys to stop bombing ?
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Caseless: 6:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
J12:
Whats the point of massively building up reserves when the country is dying of poverty and starvation? Is this not the same question the governors asked Jonathan when they wanted him to share all the cash in the excess crude account. The governors are now complaining that there's no money.
show us the evidence that gej actually shared the money to the governors. Is there no difference between ECA and foreign reserve? What was in our foreign reserve b4 gej came on board and what do we have in there right now despite the oil boom? The point the governors made on ECA then was that; since the money was being saved for d rainy days, but the money kept depleting at every meeting ; i.e each time there was a govnor forum's meeting, for example, if they left the meeting with the knowledge of a certain amount in ECA, say $10billion, they come back to the next meeting realising that d money had dropped to say $10billion and, the trend continued. So this was why they decided that since the money is dropping and no one was telling them where the money was going to, it was better they shared the money and this(sharing) never happened. And what gej did to weaken their agitation was to decimate the NGF. Let's face facts, gej has destroyed our economy.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by poseidon12: 6:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
domack99:
If only PDP stop pushing all the irrelevant allegation on APC and focus on main issue that is bothering the country, APC has been busy defending several false allegations labeled on them by the opposition party.

This is a nice write up, in fact a great one, but I wish Soludo is not sitting on the fence at least so far we know those that try to campaign on issue base and has a manifesto similar to what he outline

Great objective piece by Prof. Soludo. I believe he is not really on the fence. As a top notch intellectual with fans on both sides of the political isle, he would not want to appear to be on any side.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Caseless: 6:03pm On Jan 26, 2015
kakakent:

Prof inuru mmiri ara nne gi oh dis is what dis anti-jonathans need always accusing dat cool dudde over every dick tom nd harry for gods sake oil prices is determined by d interactions of demand nd supply in the oil mkt can buhari maintain nigeria as the 3rd fastest growing economy in d world? Or is it jst to call his boys to stop bombing ?
illiterate, go and read what is written above by soludo before posting flatulence. Do read, it helps.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by HOTWATER(m): 6:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
Nice piece by Soludo the Economist . I still wonder in spite of the said achievements of OBJ, we are still struggling with power,rail,agric,petrol supply. What infrastructure did he put in place in his 8 yrs rule. GEJ stepped on toes and they are fighting back .
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 6:12pm On Jan 26, 2015
The economy roared to average yearly growth of 7% between 2003 and 2007 (although average monthly oil price under his regime was $38), and poverty dropped from estimated 70% in1999 to 54% in 2004. Obasanjo was his own coordinating minister of the economy and chairman of the economic management team— which he chaired for 90 minutes every week. I met with him daily. In other words, he did not outsource economic management.

What an illiterate military officer could do, an Expo wielding PhD holder could not, yet he had the guts to ask for Buhari's certificate.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by poseidon12: 6:15pm On Jan 26, 2015
omenka:
I read every single word. This is a cutting edge masterpiece! I haven't the slightest of doubt Abati and co would do all they can to ensure Jonathan doesn't lay his hand on the paper. It might make him question all the things he's been told from day one because as it stands, the man seems completely detached from reality, dancing in the rain while his house is on fire.

One thing I know for sure is that Buhari will reduce to the barest minimum the cost of governance. He will do away with all those aircraft Jonathan secured for the presidency for God-only-knows which cost billions annually to maintain. He will free up more funds for capital commitments by ridding the executive of the retinue of needless aides, assistants, and advisers and senior special advisers.

There are just too many means of cutting costs and freeing up more funds to finance capital projects but believe me, it might backfire should Buhari mention some of those things on his campaign. So for now, I'm in support of him limiting his manifesto to what he's been telling us, the stakes are just too damn high to make any daredevil pronouncements at the moment. smiley

Sounds good, but if he does not say what he would do if he gets in, how else do we know.
And I don't think it will hurt his chances if he explains how he intends to realise a campaign promise.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by ayusco: 6:40pm On Jan 26, 2015
Great article by soludo. Those organising the presidential debates have a fantastic source material to base their questions on. I don't think soludo was praising the IBB or OBJ per say he was just commending their economic policies.

This article makes for sombre reading especially for the Jonathan govt. Even if he wins(which I strongly doubt) can he show the competence and political will to guide nigeria out of this economic quagmire? From his actions I don't think he can. GEJ as a person seems likeable but is overwhelmed by the job at hand. He atleast could bequeath a legacy of a better electoral process than his predecessors.

As for the GMB crew this is not time for any high fiving but deep understanding and sober reflection of the issues soludo raised. More of detailed facts and less sloganeering please apc.

Whoever wins nigerian should have no illusions that we are in for tougher times ahead but God willing we shall prosper.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by omenka(m): 6:48pm On Jan 26, 2015
poseidon12:

Sounds good, but if he does not say what he would do if he gets in, how else do we know.
And I don't think it will hurt his chances if he explains how he intends to realise a campaign promise.
Bro, Nigerian politics is not like that. People around here easily get swayed by emotions and sentiments. You saw how PDP capitalised on his statement that if he gets elected, he would scrap the Office of the First Lady. Of course that is a cost saving initiative and in addition, it is even an office not recognised by the constitution, yet it gets its own dedicated appropriation in the budget, but then, PDP went to town saying Buhari is anti women and would ensure women are just confined to the kitchen pounding yams for their husbands if he gets elected!! A lot of people bought the argument and hated Buhari for it regardless of the merits in such a policy.

So you see, I know he has the best of intentions for us but some of them are best kept close to his heart and not discussed in public at the moment. Most voters aren't intellectually mature enough to understand the import of some of these things and that is what PDP capitalises on; people's ignorance. In due time, they would come to the fore and implemented, then we would all see the advantages of such policies.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 6:59pm On Jan 26, 2015
why was the railway not working during your tenure?

What has Jonathan's five routes poorly thought out, railway project contributed to the Nigerian economy? Soludo is a Prof. of Economics not tourism.
Nigerians like you want to see trains deprived you from your Childhood, Prof. wants to see trains that could link West Africa, to make a positive mark on Nigeria's GDP.

despite the huge sums injected into the power sector yet phcn failed.

NIPP of $16b (less than what Jonathan misappropriates yearly by the way) is the only reason Nigeria is close to having steady electricity, don't think that Un bundling the PHCN and Privatizing it by Jonathan actually added any value, nope, according to his defunct Power minister they are restructuring what the NIPP has on ground. If OBJ was allowed a third term, I am certain that he will witness teh commissioning of most NIPP projects and Nigeria will at least have gotten electricity right by 50%.
Jonathan did not successfully complete a single power plant in his 6yrs reign, trust me on that

Why wasnt any of our university among the best 200 then? rather Obj built personal libraries and universities to his name.

His mentioning the Universities was a sarcasm, he is saying that we have not funded the existing ones yet the dumbo is creating more glorified secondary schools and calling it a university.

All federal Government projects in the east was stopped or frustrated.

Was Onitsha to Owerri road stopped and frustrated too?

what of the monopolistic approach of Obj when only Dangote was allowed to import anything and frustrated other peoples businesses that were opposed to him.since the agricultural sector was better during obj's tenure why dint it add to our foreign reserves and massive corruption in that sector was still rife. what about the haliburton and other numerous scandals. Soludo did not tell us that increasing workers salary then affected our recurrent expenditure now.

Allowing import monopoly in some key areas relieves the Forex pressure on the govt, guess you have never thought of it that way, lol, did i hear corruption in comparative terms with what is going on today? I really cant say. Increasing minimum wage to score cheap electoral points in 2011, was ill thought out and can only come from a ret@rd, OBJ will not make that mistake. It is economically unsustainable and today we are seeing the effects with states having to borrow to pay wages, Jonathan did not do you any favor with that policy, rather the opposite was the case.

The thing is anybody can come and reel out figures as if it were paradise during thier own era. This is a nice presentation but not without some personal bias I still think both parties can learn a lot from this if they objectively look at the salient points raised.

The truth is; only a blind, evil soul will praise an administration as disastrous as Jonathan's. Jonathan would not get a single vote not even from his wife, whom the reality of the economy will force her to vote for APC, if majority of Nigerians were sane.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by exx(m): 7:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
There were more matured reply's to Soludos write up in the Vanguard newspaper than wat I'm seeing on Nairaland cry
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by meccuno: 7:27pm On Jan 26, 2015
egift:
Good and comprehensive piece.

Once Buhari is elected, his major task will be to put together a competent "Team Nigeria" to rescue this nation from the ugly mess we have sank into. I wish men like Soludo will be part of it.

Sai Buhari. Help on the way.
I think he owes Nigeria a duty to explain to us how he would achieve it since he has been projected as the messiah from the SW media.......
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 26, 2015
jpphilips:

This is the question only a f00l who missed his chance of any formal education should ask Our Governors), it must have generated from the Penguin brains running the current federal Govt.
Your case is more pathetic that will you echo and re echo their senselessness, you only have unemployment and under employment to contend with, while they have the opportunity of taking economic refuge elsewhere.
When I look at the Level of poverty on the streets presently, I only wish nematodes like you and your dumb governors were never born.

You are a colossal slowpoke. Your brain is filled with nothing but soap. Get the hell outta here if have nothing to talk about
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by 1988: 7:37pm On Jan 26, 2015
saintiago1980:
Goodluck is the only president who can bring Nigeria to the promise. Land he has a lot to do for Nigeria. Let us join hand together in this up coming election. To vote him in for future generation.
Are u high on grass?
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 7:47pm On Jan 26, 2015
J12:

You are a colossal slowpoke. Your brain is filled with nothing but soap. Get the hell outta here if have nothing to talk about

You in that post reference the governors not you, the bracket was incomplete.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 7:48pm On Jan 26, 2015
J12:

"You" in that post reference the governors not you, the bracket was incomplete.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by donkafor(m): 8:02pm On Jan 26, 2015
Kudos that Prof is a changed man now. I can remember vividly during the Anambra Gubernatorial Election under the platform of PDP, you were busy promising us African Dubai Taiwan without telling us how.

Maybe because of your long sabbatical leave from partisan politics.

Practice what you teach!
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by EndtimeBlessing: 8:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
I weep for Nigeria that people like Soludo (and there are many of him) are useless to us.
I weep for Nigeria that a Goodluck Jonathan ever had the leadership of this country entrusted upon him.
I weep for Nigeria that we had to be boxed to exhume a Buhari of past glory to navigate our future, the future of our children!
I weep for Nigeria because her youths have been shortchanged and they know it not.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by lucianohase(m): 9:11pm On Jan 26, 2015
owobokiri:

Your GMBs economic hallucinations are dead on arrival if you place much emphasis on the erudite summations above. Same with that of GEJ. . Honestly to make head or tail out of this masterpieace of an article, you will have to exorcise yourself of your partisan demons. . . Unfortunately, even in Aso rock, there wont be any shortage of petty minds ever willing to whimsically dismiss Soludos summations based cheifly on similar absurd accusations made in your very unfortunate post above. ,
Though I support Gej and will vote for him,but I still wish that he reads this article and digest it,with a mind free of sentiment, for the good of nigeria and for his own good as a leader who wants to be re-elected. I don't care about the Prof's motives of writing this but I care about the veracity of some of the contents of this piece. Its only a wise man that reads through his documented plans severally to know whether there are errors or vague plans,with the intention of making corrections or making it clearer. And most times to do this,the wise man samples oppinions and listens to constructive critiscisms which usually are bitter and annoying.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by XKZ(m): 10:02pm On Jan 26, 2015
jpphilips:

Allowing import monopoly in some key areas relieves the Forex pressure on the govt, guess you have never thought of it that way, lol,

This is not really true. The size of the market remains the same no matter how many firms are importing the product and companies will not import goods when there is no demand for the product.
Monopolies offer advantages such as economies of scale leading to reduced prices, large profits leading to investment in R& D, price discrimination in favour of the economically disadvantaged...
But we all know Nigerians were not enjoying this benefits, rather the benefiting monopolies used the privilege to extort Nigerians and then pay kickbacks from their abnormal profits to their government benefactors.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by XKZ(m): 10:11pm On Jan 26, 2015
donkafor:
Kudos that Prof is a changed man now. I can remember vividly during the Anambra Gubernatorial Election under the platform of PDP, you were busy promising us African Dubai Taiwan without telling us how.

Maybe because of your long sabbatical leave from partisan politics.

Practice what you teach!

That's the problem with Nigeria.
Not that we do not have brilliant minds and individuals who know what to do; but rather our leaders do not practice what they preach.
When out of government they are the voice of wisdom, when they get into power they are only interested in lining their pockets.
Although I do not think we should blame Soludo for the banking crisis, he definitely has a case to answer when it comes to the polymer notes issue.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 10:14pm On Jan 26, 2015
XKZ:

This is not really true. The size of the market remains the same no matter how many firms are importing the product and companies will not import goods when there is no demand for the product.
Monopolies offer advantages such as economies of scale leading to reduced prices, large profits leading to investment in R& D, price discrimination in favour of the economically disadvantaged...
But we all know Nigerians were not enjoying this benefits, rather the benefiting monopolies used the privilege to extort Nigerians and then pay kickbacks from their abnormal profits to their government benefactors.

Does import restriction through Govt monopoly reduce pressure on FOREX, Yes or No?
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by mpowa(m): 10:20pm On Jan 26, 2015
Chigold101:
Soluda has once again proven that he is a weak man. A man i so much loved but his unforgiven spirit is second to none.

Soludo is writing like this against GEJ because GEJ is the reason why he lost Anambra election in 2010(I worked as member of his campaign team).

In 2013 he joined APGA and was talked about how to continue with Obi‘s good work as governor of Anambra state but Obi who already had Obiano in mind used style to push Soludo aside...

He joined Atiku‘s camp in 2011 thinking that GEJ will lose at the PDP primaries, but their camp was disgraced. Now he has come here to cause confusion in the polity because all he wants is to see GEJ disgraced, but it will not work for him in Jesus name.

This is how his unforgiven spirit made him to make sure that Dora Akunyiri (his wife‘s aunty. Dora is the younger sister to the wife‘s mother) never win Anambra central senatoral sit. He took it upon himself to make sure that Ngige is decleard the winner even when there was a little confusion in few constituencie. All because Dora through GEJ & Abuja PDP helped Peter Obi defeat him in 2010.

As an insider who knows the fight going on between Soludo, GEJ & Obi am not suprised at all with the this piece. It has some elements of truth but it is coated with many sweet lies.

He took sabatical after Peter Obi messed him up in 2013 prior to Anambra state guber election. Which sabatical? He went in to leak his wounds...

He thinks he has seen where to nail GEJ.

Na wa oh! Nigerians are funny sha! how we bring sentiments to everything behooves me. what has unforgiveness got to do with economic analysis? No matter how much he hates Jonathan, he won't have had enough failures to reel out like he did, these are not figures from the air, they're available statistics and facts, what has unforgiveness got to do with it?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by XKZ(m): 10:22pm On Jan 26, 2015
jpphilips:

Does import restriction through Govt monopoly reduce pressure on FOREX, Yes or No?

Is a private firm/importer a government monopoly, Yes or No?
When a private firm has a monopoly on the importation of a particular good, it does not place any restriction on the volume/value of imports it brings in as long as it believes there is adequate demand since it's main aim is to make profit.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 10:32pm On Jan 26, 2015
XKZ:

Is a private firm/importer a government monopoly, Yes or No?
When a private firm has a monopoly on the importation of a particular good, it does not place any restriction on the volume/value of imports it brings in as long as it believes there is adequate demand since it's main aim is to make profit.

Yes or No you were asked, when I need your reasons I will ask
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by jpphilips(m): 10:36pm On Jan 26, 2015
mpowa:

Na wa oh! Nigerians are funny sha! how we bring sentiments to everything behooves me. what has unforgiveness got to do with economic analysis? No matter how much he hates Jonathan, he won't have had enough failures to reel out like he did, these are not figures from the air, they're available statistics and facts, what has unforgiveness got to do with it?

I appreciate cretins like chigold101, they make me appreciate how far I have gone in life.
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by ocelot2006(m): 10:44pm On Jan 26, 2015
LRNZH:

Some of these technocrats are already in APC and some will join in the near future when GMB takes over government.

This list includes but not restricted to: Oby Ezekwesili, Raji Fashola, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, Rotimi Amaechi, Nasiru El-Rufai, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu (if he decamps to APC), Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, Barr. Festus Keyamo, Prof. Barth Nnaji, George Akume, Audu Ogbe, Rabiu Kwankwaso, Bukola Saraki, Adamu Muazu (APC will lure him after PDP's loss), Emir Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (will at least provide consultancy on economic olicies), potentially- Donald Duke & Emeka Anyaoku.

Ameachi, Akume, August Obe, Kwankwaso, Sarah technocrats?!!! LMAO grin grin grin grin mehn thanks for the joke!! I needed that after a long day grin!! Jeez!!

But come oh, since when did Barth Nnaji, Donald Duke, Emma Anyaoku, and Emir Sanusi join APC?!! You see why we call you clowns LIARS and JOKERS high on expired Alomo Bitters? If there's anyone that's clueless, it's you APC clowns. But hey, keep wanking off in lala land.

"Technocrats" indeed cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by bobbybash(m): 1:13am On Jan 27, 2015
Spot on Soludo, you have raised pretty good points. I hope Nigerians will abandon being partisan and basically look at the issues raised. Definitely with the current economic out look it will be a difficult term for whoever of is that would be in the helm of affairs in the next dispensation we only hope that this time the lessons of economic diversification would have been learnt and never again will Nigeria be caught up in mono economy.

Check out #PreelectionPoll #GEJvsGMB on www.oppoll.com.ng

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Eluwilussit(m): 1:25am On Jan 27, 2015
V
Boss13:

Sure GEJ remains the only viable option to get us out of the economic mess because he got us into it in the first place. However, both presidential candidates are yet to present to us what their economic plans are. If Jonathan can show us his plans, surely he would win our support. No one is blaming him for insurgency but we blame him for not curtailing it. Foreign reserves is depleted. Now our debt profile is at a dangerous level. The problem here is that we are indebted to private investors whose aim is to increase their returns so we are not going to get a debt relief. Which means we are going to pay every kobo/penny to the last and who do you think will suffer for this - me and you.

Jonathan has employed the wrong set of team. If he wins he must assemble a great team that can execute within the shortest period. Also, if I were Buhari, I will re-strategize with my team on how to revamp the economy and not make empty promises.

We surely need help. May God save Nigeria

True talk.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Eluwilussit(m): 1:40am On Jan 27, 2015
BlackTechnology:

A Yoruba proverb say

Look at what the person who promised you clothes puts on

A man can't give what he doesn't have

Buhari is not the answer. grin

That's so correct. How can a man with flip-flops promise you a pair of Gucci shoes? Where on earth did Buhari hide in the last 29 yrs, without improving himself at any rate, only to come out now to rule us?

Per adventure Buhari wins, then Nigeria has gone to the dogs. I can't believe that I am alive and this is happening. God, how did we get here?

We still dey talk of Jona, now Buhari. Whatever happened to the likes of Fashola, Duke, tambuwal, N'Abba, Rochas? I can't believe it has come to this. There was indeed, a country.

Both men would have been very happy to be the pantry boys to the likes of Zik, Awo, Balewa, Ahmadu Bello and Enahoro. Shame
Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Ologunjude(m): 2:01am On Jan 27, 2015
Very sound still Professor Soludo. God bless you for this piece. Propaganda every where u look. God help us.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election By Charles Soludo by Ologunjude(m): 2:10am On Jan 27, 2015
Obasanjor book " my watch" if allowed into the market would have ended Jonathan plan to retain port by all means. This Soludo is going to do the same thing. Open secret of lack of performance and failure of this government.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ike Ekweremadu & Wife Nwanneka Sentenced To 10 Years, 6 Years Each / Survivors Of Yelwa-Zangam, Jos Attack Recount Their Ordeals / Tinubu Blasts Party Leaders Over Loss To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.