Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,690 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:22 AM

I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders (8633 Views)

Serious Advise From Mature Women! Pregnancy Alert! / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Words Of Advice From A Mother To Her Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by lobell: 10:00am On Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

Have you prayed about this meeting yet? The outcome might not be unconnected with your dreams as per ... having to manage scrap when you could have had a glassful ... and also your boss speaking a different language from you.

In your meeting try to be understanding without being condescending and keep a prayer line open in your mind while you have the talk ... that way you don't speak of your own accord but as the Spirit gives utterance. This presupposes that you are connected to God.

- my two kobos worth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:
I will not leave this job because of him
That one is settled
I ain't going nowhere

Okay babes
Just saw this post
I respect that descsion. You know more than anyone here where the shoe pinches
All the best in your meeting today
God will go before you.

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 29, 2015
crackhaus:

Noticed this bit from E-soul's post above.

Babyosisi, what is your honest opinion on the reason for that?
Do they support him because they are also not comfortable having a black intelligent woman as a colleague, or is it something else?

Office politics can be rather clique-y. Also, the those in 'those supporting him..' suggests that not all do.

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 29, 2015
uboma:

This is an interesting thread because i can relate to some of your experiences here. However, never complain about your work load. It puts you in a bad light. You may have had the workload reduced because of the strings you pulled but what happens when you move on to another organization and you have no one to do your favours? Do the best you can and when queried on why 100% of your workload was not completed, then you can politely express your reservations and stating how far (say 40-50%) has been achieved.

Thats even worse
I lost out on an job once becasue I answered that question wrong in the interview (I asked for feedback after the interview)

Always say upfront that you cant do something or you forsee problems or you wont meet your targets and make sure that you offer solutions at the same time

So you say "I will be on leave and that may affect my delivery date, however I am happy to work from home for a few hours while I am at the airport or get a collegue to cover for me.

Even if you wont do it, you have shown that you are prepared to make sacrifices and are aware of the importance of hitting deadlines.

Never wait until its too late for solutions to work before you let your manager know whatever issues you are facing in reaching deadlines.

Osisi did the right thing by letting her manager know that she couldnt work with that scheldue but I dont know if she went a step further to offer solutions.

I learnt the lesson and I am one of the most valued members of my team . . . sometimes its just perception. Not that any one person is working harder than the other. Office politics in the corporate world is a whole course on its own.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by crackhaus: 10:48am On Jan 29, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Office politics can be rather clique-y. Also, the those in those supporting him.. suggests that not all do.
@bold text, understandably.
Just looking at it from the angle that she may have been partially responsible for his dislike for her.

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by jaybee3(m): 11:02am On Jan 29, 2015
chaircover:

Thats even worse
I lost out on an job once becasue I answered that question wrong in the interview (I asked for feedback after the interview)

Always say upfront that you cant do something or you forsee problems or you wont meet your targets and make sure that you offer solutions at the same time

So you say "I will be on leave and that may affect my delivery date, however I am happy to work from home for a few hours while I am at the airport or get a collegue to cover for me.

Even if you wont do it, you have shown that you are prepared to make sacrifices and are aware of the importance of hitting deadlines.

Never wait until its too late for solutions to work before you let your manager know whatever issues you are facing in reaching deadlines.

Osisi did the right thing by letting her manager know that she couldnt work with that scheldue but I dont know if she went a step further to offer solutions.

I learnt the lesson and I am one of the most valued members of my team . . . sometimes its just perception. Not that any one person is working harder than the other. Office politics in the corporate world is a whole course on its own.

I think the best way to answer question of productivity against stretching resource is:

1)You will first look at all the outstanding tasks to see if you can fit the new one into it
2)You will consider prioritising the tasks with the help of your manager or the requester so you can focus on what’s important
3)If you are unable to prioritise the tasks, you will demand for extra resource to help meet the tight schedule

They really just want to find out your thought process in crisis evaluation/resolution. The interview panel already know quality will suffer if you go on about putting extra hours (You are expected to be flexible with changing demands as an employee) and then claim stress at the end of the month. No responsible company will encourage working round the clock to deliver things.
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 29, 2015
Thank you all for all your kind suggestions and criticisms

It's show time!!!
I am dressed up and prayed up and my watchword as I go up is from Isaiah 42

[size=18pt]I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron.[/size]

Pray for me that all goes well

Need to go up the elevator now
Heavy mama jama

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 29, 2015
I am here. My boss is late.hasn't shown up or called. The mediator just got off the phone and told me she (the mediator ) has some family situation come up ,she looks flustered and excuses herself and goes off to see the overall boss

Jesus take da wheel
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 29, 2015
My brothers and sisters what are the odds?
What are the odds that today of all days,the man's secretary calls in 10 minutes later to say he can't make it to work today?
Meeting will be rescheduled
That must be the will of God I suppose

First his secretary rushes in at 8.35 to ask if he was there,he wasn't
5 minutes later a phone call from his secretary that he couldn't make it to work today
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by lobell: 3:44pm On Jan 29, 2015
I guess you just missed the ekele dili chukwu bus...lol

don't relax just yet...keep praying till it's done

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 29, 2015
lobell:
I guess you just missed the ekele dili chukwu bus...lol

[size=18pt]ROFLmbakassioff[/size]
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
Let me now eat
I couldn't even eat
I have scored the first victory,glory to God
Oyibo no dey take kindly to missing a scheduled appointment especially one you accepted verbally and electronically or not calling in advance to cancel.
The mediator will view this as a huge disrespect to her office and a waste of her precious time
Bingo!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2015
I can see evritin turning arrand
Evritin turning arrand
Evritin turning arrand for Mai guud

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by lobell: 3:57pm On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:
I can see evritin turning arrand
Evritin turning arrand
Evritin turning arrand for Mai guud
ummm...cheeseburger! yum!
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by tron23(m): 4:07pm On Jan 29, 2015
To be honest with you, in this life you have to fight for what's yours.
Racism is a major issue overseas, especially in the work place. But God dey sha.

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by joanne1(f): 4:08pm On Jan 29, 2015
He DAT is in you is greater than he DAT is in your boss.... Na wao oh for oyibo land dis 1 dey happen if Na Nigeria hmmm d boss for done enter another realm of jazz on top your matter ooo, nyways my last bullet wld b JIRI ISAIAH 42 HIRI ISI because even the devil no dey sleep.

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 29, 2015
lobell:

ummm...cheeseburger! yum!

Lol
It is actually a sausage and egg with cheese croissant
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 29, 2015
joanne1:
He DAT is in you is greater than he DAT is in your boss.... Na wao oh for oyibo land dis 1 dey happen if Na Nigeria hmmm d boss for done enter another realm of jazz on top your matter ooo, nyways my last bullet wld b JIRI ISAIAH 42 HIRI ISI because even the devil no dey sleep.

Thank you thank you.
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by lobell: 4:52pm On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:

Lol
It is actually a sausage and egg with cheese croissant
hmmm...never had one of those.
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by cococandy(f): 5:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:
My brothers and sisters what are odds?
What are the odds that today of all days,the man's secretary calls in 10 minutes later to say he can't make it to work today?
Meeting will be rescheduled
That must be the will of God I suppose

First his secretary rushes in at 8.35 to ask if he was there,he wasn't
5 minutes later a phone call from his secretary that he couldn't make it to work today
that man seriously has something up his sleeve.
Are you sure he's not taking his time to assemble arsenal to use in bombing you next meeting?

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 29, 2015
Go for that meeting with a voice recorder so you can record everything u discuss with him. that may be ur phone. keep it on silent mode and dont let him know. That device will help you keep your head cool knowing the fact that you are recording your conversation.

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by 1miccza: 7:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:

I have prayer warriors on the case
Our case will be handled in the spirit realm

And it will be settled in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by 1miccza: 7:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
OP see how God works wonders he is able,don't stop praying. My gut tells me your boss's position would eventually be yours ....
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by lobell: 9:04pm On Jan 29, 2015
1miccza:
OP see how God works wonders he is able,don't stop praying. My gut tells me your boss's position would eventually be yours ....
that's prolly the wine that got spilled...so it depends on how she manages this crises.
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 29, 2015
Update
Meeting rescheduled for next week
I decide to go tell my mentor the story
After a long one hour conversation my mentor convinces me not to go through with that meeting and he asks me to walk up to the mediator and say these words.

Dr XYZ,I have thought about this whole thing and would want to put it behind me and forge ahead,I would like that meeting cancelled and ask that Dr W my boss tell me what he is expecting of me and what he would like me to do

I told my mentor I needed to speak with my greatest confidant first ,my hubby
I do
My hubby who is himself a boss with many subordinates , agrees with my mentor
He says it will make me come out more mature ,diplomatic and non confrontational and that will show me in a good light to this woman who certainly has the overall boss' ear.

So I just spoke with that mediator and she however says if I do change my mind to call her and schedule that meeting ,she also insists that I sit down instead with the boss and have a conversation with him because from her meeting with him,he said he wanted me to succeed and would like us to sit and for me to tell him what my needs are as far as goals etc and he will in turn tell me what his expectations are.
So most likely that next week I will be sitting with my boss hopefully calmly while we try to work this out

My mentor recounted his own experiences with previous bosses and in fact he had seen worse.
This is the route I have decided to take
Thank you all for your prayers,encouragement ,already I feel like I have won,I believe him not showing up was a blessing after all.
I am certain this meeting will be cordial and he will back off now that he knows I am no pushover and have expressed my grievance to a third party.
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 29, 2015
cococandy:
that man seriously has something up his sleeve.
Are you sure he's not taking his time to assemble arsenal to use in bombing you next meeting?

He said his schedule didn't sync with his iPhone and he was double booked and apologized for that
Anyway ,it was all good,
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by 1miccza: 10:32pm On Jan 29, 2015
lobell:

that's prolly the wine that got spilled...so it depends on how she manages this crises.

She's nat doing so bad from what I've read so far
Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by 1miccza: 10:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:
Update
Meeting rescheduled for next week
I decide to go tell my mentor the story
After a long one hour conversation my mentor convinces me not to go through with that meeting and he asks me to walk up to the mediator and say these words.

Dr XYZ,I have thought about this whole thing and would want to put it behind me and forge ahead,I would like that meeting cancelled and ask that Dr W my boss tell me what he is expecting of me and what he would like me to do

I told my mentor I needed to speak with my greatest confidant first ,my hubby
I do
My hubby who is himself a boss with many subordinates , agrees with my mentor
He says it will make me come out more mature ,diplomatic and non confrontational and that will show me in a good light to this woman who certainly has the overall boss' ear.

So I just spoke with that mediator and she however says if I do change my mind to call her and schedule that meeting ,she also insists that I sit down instead with the boss and have a conversation with him because from her meeting with him,he said he wanted me to succeed and would like us to sit and for me to tell him what my needs are as far as goals etc and he will in turn tell me what his expectations are.
So most likely that next week I will be sitting with my boss hopefully calmly while we try to work this out

My mentor recounted his own experiences with previous bosses and in fact he had seen worse.
This is the route I have decided to take
Thank you all for your prayers,encouragement ,already I feel like I have won,I believe him not showing up was a blessing after all.
I am certain this meeting will be cordial and he will back off now that he knows I am no pushover and have expressed my grievance to a third party.

That's just it..You nailed it *thumbs up*

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by Roland17(m): 10:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
There is an expectation for blacks in America, one laced in mediocrity, likened to a boundary fenced with thorns, if you ever defy those expectations and aim for the pinacle of success through competition with the perceived superior race, you would be challenged daily, you would be scorned..worse if you are African the continent still perceived to be under chains, this is evident in Coporate America, The Academics, Healthcare and Social spheres of life here..

I am not playing the race card here, it's the absolute truth, I am a profound witness to the OP's dilemma, infact you work so hard mentally to eliminate RACE in the argument but it blatantly stares you in the face, I faced something similar last year, but my resilience and perseverance paid off greatly..

Just kill them softly with your superior skill and intelligence..

Just be very good at what you do here, scout ways to improve yourself so it's impossible to eliminate your opportunities..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by cococandy(f): 10:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
babyosisi:

Anyway ,it was all good,
thank God

1 Like

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by guseman(m): 10:52pm On Jan 29, 2015
Dear Babyosisi,
Since you said you need mature nairalanders advice, let me write few lines.

Am a typical yoruba man so if my sentences doesn't look like those ivy league university graduates, don't blame me but just try to use your Nigerian mentality to digest what am trying to say.

Thank God you are overseas where everyone is 'almost' treated as equal. There are some bosses here in Nigeria that you can't even try half of what that Oyinbo is taken from you cos she felt you are trying to outshine here. Had it been it is here in Nigeria, your posting letter will be reading Maiduguri to go and face Boko Haram victims.... grin grin grin

You sounds like someone on to of her game but please watch your back. There are enemies of progress every where. Please talk to your boss the way your mentor advised. Let her have that special feeling like your boss cos your presence is like a threat to her.

Let me close with the words of my former Admin manager You are on your own... Just do what will make you happy but at times you need people from afar to evaluate you!

Be calm and put yourself in her shoe. Lastly I remember a contest Organised by Globacom 'Glo Campus Storm' during my university days, those rappers from the next polytechnic sang better than my school guys but we don't want them to outshine us, we voted for our university student and he won the contest. It happens every where.

May God's grace and favour continue to locate us amen. That's all we need.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Words Of Wisdom From Mature Nairalanders by guseman(m): 10:56pm On Jan 29, 2015
Dear Babyosisi,
Since you said you need mature nairalanders advice, let me write few lines.

Am a typical yoruba man so if my sentences doesn't look like those ivy league university graduates, don't blame me but just try to use your Nigerian mentality to digest what am trying to say.

Thank God you are overseas where everyone is 'almost' treated as equal. There are some bosses here in Nigeria that you can't even tweaked half of what the Oyinbo has in mind for you from you cos she felt you are trying to outshine her. Had it been it is here in Nigeria, your posting letter will be reading Maiduguri to go and face Boko Haram victims.... grin grin grin

You sounds like someone on to of her game but please watch your back. There are enemies of progress every where. Please talk to your boss the way your mentor advised. Let her have that special feeling like your boss cos your presence is like a threat to her.

Let me close with the words of my former Admin manager You are on your own... Just do what will make you happy but at times you need people from afar to evaluate you!

Be calm and put yourself in her shoe. Lastly I remember a contest Organised by Globacom 'Glo Campus Storm' during my university days, those rappers from the next polytechnic sang better than my school guys but we don't want them to outshine us, we voted for our university student and he won the contest. It happens every where.

May God's grace and favour continue to locate us amen. That's all we need.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Why Marrying The Wrong Person Is Deadly! (photos) / I'm Having Sleepless Nights Over A Mistake. What Do I Do / African Parents In Diaspora: How Do You Raise Your Children In African Way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.