Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? (18742 Views)

2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) / Is Mathematics As A Course Competitive In Oau Or Other Federal University / Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by loswhite(m): 2:24pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Nairalanders, lets discuss this in a civilised way. No insults please.
how can we discuss when your name and ur position is not from a neutral perspective

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by ej77: 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2015
Yes u most pass maths, english + 3 other subject at credit level b4 u're employed as officer not only nig army but other para mini also.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by odk1: 2:26pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Nairalanders, lets discuss this in a civilised way. No insults please.

During the Cambridge exam years mathematics was not a compulsory subject. if you know someone that schooled during that period you can confirm. As it affects the military then I'm not sure. But I guess it should not matter cos you don't even have to sit for the subject.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by AreaFada2: 2:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
CaptainAmerica1:
[size=15pt]No it's not! What if he majored in the arts not sciences?[/size]

#Ihavedecided

It doesn't matter. High School is meant to give adequate general education including literacy (Language) & Numeracy (Maths) PLUS other subjects of your interest to make 5 credits minimum.

Even law schools ask for maths credit.

If military didn't need maths, why did his school principal's prediction letter state that Buhari was likely to get Credits in Maths & English Plus three other credits? He was obviously saying Buhari will meet the grade required.

In UK, same grade prediction system is still used to apply to university. 9ja system was still similar to British then. Admission is provisional, you begin your course if you meet the prediction. Because results come out about 6 weeks before university first semester starts.

It's not about politics, APC or PDP. It's about integrity, honesty, merit & constitutional requirement. The same constitution a president will swear to uphold.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
TCD:
military policy in 1961 is different from policy in 2015 .
i agree with you but would you tell me that the system we are using then says "faill not even pass" in mathematics is ok to enter a federal system especially the military which was a priced/respectable body ven then....

Food for thought: Which system of administration(UK) are we using in Nigeria in our Education and Military, so check what is obtainable there also
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by EchuaA: 2:38pm On Jan 30, 2015
Before dis time the Nigerian Army was purely a professional field dat dealt more on proficiency but recently d NDA became a tertiary academy institution wit degree awarding status like d University for core cadet not 4 short service. For dis reason u c core cadet awarded BSc, BA and so on. 4dis category dia entry requirement is same with d university and dey spend 4-5ys academic work wit 1yr core military training. In d case of Buhari's era, dis was not d case as u were commission after 1-2yrs and no award of standard degree only promotional courses. D4, dia entry requirement could not have bin d same.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by dallyemmy: 2:46pm On Jan 30, 2015
I DON'T KNOW!
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another.

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude, Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

You spoke my mind, Maths is needed in almost all military terminologies directly and indirectly...
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
Obinoscopy:
I'm not well versed in Military activities but I think Mathematics should be compulsory. A pass in English Language may be condoned but a Credit or a Distinction in Mathematics should be mandatory, IMO. However I think a Military personnel should be in a better position to answer this question.
The question here is what was (as in the 1960s), not what ought. During time Buhari got into the army, a credit in mathematics was not compulsory.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2015
Mathematics is very compulsory if you want to grow in the military. However, maths is not required for the infantry.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by ej77: 3:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
Mohamed and Muhammed or mondai and monday are they thesame?
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by chiedu7: 3:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
It looks like there is no record of General Buhari's certificate anywhere
So this certificate is fake
shocked

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by LordHenry1: 3:07pm On Jan 30, 2015
Mathematics was not needed during the time of Buhari...look it up
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
Samguine:
I just checked the NDA website and Mathematics is a compulsory subject you need to have.
i love matured minds like you... you said the truth about the issue being discussed and still chose who you wanted...

For me the two parties PDP and APC are the same,; so we can vote for who we want
Let the election decide who win rule
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Emmahunk(m): 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Is Mat, hematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?

I ask this question because Buhari's result have been released to the public and in the result he had an F9 in
Mathematics.

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another.

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude, Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

So I wonder why someone with an F9 in mathematics should be commissioned into the Military.

Perhaps that isn't Buhari's Result after all. I say this because that result appears to be fake and Buhari hasn't made any statement accepting the result as published by the Principal of his almamater. I hereby call on Buhari to either accept or reject the result as published. If he rejects it, he should do us a favour and show us his certificate (#BuhariShowYourCertificate). But If he accepts it, it means our Military actually enlisted Buhari despite failing Mathematics. If they did, was it the right thing to do?

Lets discuss smiley

Nigerians can't stop amusing me. First, it was, 'Buhari has no Certificate', now it has gradually shifted to his failure in mathematics and whether mathematics is a prerequisite for enlisting into the army.
Now, I ask "who said that a man with failures in Physics, Chemistry and Biology cannot end up as one of the best Surgeons in the World if at some point, he resits his exams, makes those papers and get admitted into medical school ?"
Besides, these are not issues, let's concern ourselves with who has the willpower and determination to deliver this Country from going further down the drain

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 30, 2015
TCD:

I hereby , back date today's policy to 1961!

Talk about tyranny, backdated a decree just to kill!

Back tot he issue, maths shows ones ability to think and reason, if it was not compulsory as then, no wonder Nigeria is like this.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by webhostbiz: 3:29pm On Jan 30, 2015
Remember that some social science courses does not require mathematics to study. As at 1999 mathematics wasn't compulsory for most social science courses. Tks
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Juliusnwosu(m): 3:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
HOW DO THEY INTEND TO UNDERSTAND THEIR BEARINGS USING COMPASS AND GPS IF THEY DON'T STUDY MATHEMATICS?
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by IVORY2009(m): 3:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
TCD:

The question is, if mathematics is compulsory for military recuitment, and there is nothing like military in the 60's and now, how do you as a military man calculate in terms of aiming @ your enemy, even ploting a graph to see how far or near your ememy territory is, involves a high level of mathematics, in otherwords mathematics is highly needed to do dat, geographical calculation nkor? Mathematics is needed.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by PlutoLA(m): 3:37pm On Jan 30, 2015
All I know is that the law in 1961 is not the law in 2015. If Maths is compulsory now,that doesn't mean it was then. If he was drafted to the army then maths wasn't a compulsory subject. Even Cambridge said it in their report that then,English was the most important subject that one mustn't fail and not Maths,so y'all should just let this case rest
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by maxy097(m): 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2015
Even if it's not compulsory, why would he score an F.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Ephemmm: 3:40pm On Jan 30, 2015
Some courses in Nigeria Polytechnics and Universities still accept somebody without a credit pass in their admissions not to talk of military in 1960s.

U are here asking WAEC Certificate in JAMB office even when constution did not mention mathematics as requirement.

Grow up dude....

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by PlutoLA(m): 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2015
IVORY2009:

The question is, if mathematics is compulsory for military recuitment, and there is nothing like military in the 60's and now, how do you as a military man calculate in terms of aiming @ your enemy, even ploting a graph to see how far or near your ememy territory is, involves a high level of mathematics, in otherwords mathematics is highly needed to do dat, geographical calculation nkor? Mathematics is needed.

Guy what you should understand is that failing maths doesn't mean you dont know it and you can't apply it. After all dont white students also fail English in their own exams? Does that mean they can't speak it? The maths they'll teach them in the military in terms of bearing and all that is practical therefore easier to understand,compared to calculating on paper. Using a sniper to calculate the distance of the enemy is easier than solving it on paper. Hope you get my point

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by richybanky(m): 3:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
Samguine:
I just checked the NDA website and Mathematics is a compulsory subject you need to have. Moreover, we don't know the conditions of acceptance into the military in those days. So I think this question should be directed to the Nigerian Army.
www.nda.edu.ng/content.php?pid=20

And abeg, the issue of certificate or no certificate has been dead and buried. PDP should focus on bringing up cogent reasons why they deserve another term at the helm of affairs. From what I have been observing so far, all the unnecessary issues being raised by PDP to bring down Buhari and Co are just making them stronger.

As for me, I am deciding smiley . It definitely would be #SaiBuhari wink
Psam baba I see u ✌
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by bnovative(m): 3:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
TCD:
And what was the military policy?
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by bnovative(m): 4:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

The question here is what was (as in the 1960s), not what ought. During time Buhari got into the army, a credit in mathematics was not compulsory.
Where did u get ur information.
The standard for commissioned officers has been the same before the advent of NDA.
5 credits including mathematics and English.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by afuye(m): 4:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
[size=15pt]PLEASE BEFORE WE JUDGE OTHERS, LET US TRY TO PUT OUR HOME IN ORDER. I THINK THIS ESSAYIST FAILD ENGLISH[/size].

[s]Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?[/s] ( The sentence really asks a fundamental question here. Is it Mathematics who wants to be commissioned or somesone ?

I ask this question because Buhari's result have been released to the public and in the result he had an F9 in Mathematics.

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares ( It cannot be in plural form ) and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another. ( I also note the excessive use of word defference in this context)

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude ( wrong spelling), Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

So I wonder why someone with an F9 in mathematics should be commissioned into the Military.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by afuye(m): 4:07pm On Jan 30, 2015
afuye:

[size=15pt]PLEASE BEFORE WE JUDGE OTHERS, LET US TRY TO PUT OUR HOUSE IN ORDER. I THINK THIS ESSAYIST FAILD ENGLISH[/size].

[s]Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?[/s] ( The sentence really asks a fundamental question here. Is it Mathematics who wants to be commissioned or somesone ?

I ask this question because Buhari's result have been released to the public and in the result he had an F9 in Mathematics.

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares ( It cannot be in plural form ) and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another. ( I also note the excessive use of word defference in this context)

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude ( wrong spelling), Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by tommysparks: 4:08pm On Jan 30, 2015
Shekau that is sacking our military which school did he attend and wat qualification is he using to calculate the bearing of range to fire an RPG. Anyway I I still don't support quota system, if nigeria is one country and we want to move forward then we should talk of merit and equity not this bullshit quota system.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa Approves VCs For The 3 Newly-Established Universities / A Nairalander And His Friends Giving Back To The Society / UNIMAID Teaching Hospital Spends ₦67 Million On Diesel Monthly - CMD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.